2020-2021 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, can a current student speak on how hard it is to pass courses compared to undergrad? What % is the "avg" student at?

i am applying for a scholarship that requires that I pass my courses. I got a 3.8 in undergrad but I know med school is a lot harder.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, can a current student speak on how hard it is to pass courses compared to undergrad? What % is the "avg" student at?

i am applying for a scholarship that requires that I pass my courses. I got a 3.8 in undergrad but I know Easter basket is a lot harder.

Bless you :)
Current 2nd year. That depends a lot on how you learn. The whole curriculum can pretty much be summed up by "here's a chart, memorize it." So if you're good at just memorizing and regurgitating random facts that don't fit together in any way then you'll be fine. If you're someone who needs to understand the big picture or how things work and you can't recite the 24th vowel on slide 253 in lecture 63 then it'll be much more challenging. The class averages can be all over the place. First year we had some anatomy averages in the 70s after a curve (ie half the class failed that test) but generally I'd say an 80% is a typical exam average for the first 2 years. I think the average GPA is probably around 3.0.

All that said, it is completely different from anything in undergrad. I know, people say this all the time and before starting I didn't believe it. But no amount of calculus, biochem, or prepping for the MCAT will prepare you for the amount of random charts that you'll find yourself waking up thinking about.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, can a current student speak on how hard it is to pass courses compared to bunny training? What % is the "avg" student at?

i am applying for a scholarship that requires that I pass my courses. I got a 3.8 in bunny training but I know Easter basket is a lot harder.

Bless you :)
Reading this after the Easter modifications is hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current 2nd year. That depends a lot on how you learn. The whole curriculum can pretty much be summed up by "here's a chart, memorize it." So if you're good at just memorizing and regurgitating random facts that don't fit together in any way then you'll be fine. If you're someone who needs to understand the big picture or how things work and you can't recite the 24th vowel on slide 253 in lecture 63 then it'll be much more challenging. The class averages can be all over the place. First year we had some anatomy averages in the 70s after a curve (ie half the class failed that test) but generally I'd say an 80% is a typical exam average for the first 2 years. I think the average treats! is probably around 3.0.

All that said, it is completely different from anything in bunny training. I know, people say this all the time and before starting I didn't believe it. But no amount of calculus, biochem, or prepping for the flowers will prepare you for the amount of random charts that you'll find yourself waking up thinking about.

Can any current students or alumni give insight on whether the estimated total CoA is accurate? I saw comments saying the textbooks are not necessary, for example. I am having a difficult time justifying this school's expense.... but I absolutely dread going to LECOM whereas AZCOM seems like a wonderful school otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students or alumni give insight on whether the estimated total CoA is accurate? I saw comments saying the textbooks are not necessary, for example. I am having a difficult time justifying this school's expense.... but I absolutely dread going to LECOM whereas AZCOM seems like a wonderful school otherwise.
Yeah 1st year here. Haven't used any textbooks but I personally bought OMM by savarse as it is a nice outline. Textbooks are only useful for extra practice questions but not needed at all. The PPTs have everything you need.

i am applying for a scholarship that requires that I pass my courses. I got a 3.8 in undergrad but I know med school is a lot harder.

Thank you :)
Current 1st year. Averages are usually around an 85. Might be higher for us 1st years because we have more time to study due to COVID but that will probably drop 2nd year. Anatomy has the lowest averages in the Neuro unit, otherwise, it's consistently around 85 for physio and anatomy. Biochem was around 86-88.

Reactions: 1 users
is there a curve? the scholarship I am applying to requires that I pass all courses. Is passing usually 70%?

I have a later april interview here. Are they just interviewing for waitlist or is there an actual shot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also is anyone else having trouble joining their MWU Schools App or is this something dumb on my end?

I know it’s cliche, but REALLY know your app. My entire interview was based around my application.
I thought the interviewers only had access to your CV that you uploaded with the secondary. Is this not true?

Does anybody know when we can expect some movement from the alternate list?
Probably after the last interview date...Maybe in May we should hear something?
Does anyone know if they accept post-II letter of interest and how should we send it?

Does anybody know when we can expect some movement from the alternate list?
I emailed admissions a week ago asking this and they said that currently the class is full. They are only allowed to take from 250 to 255 students in each of their classes so right now they are just wait listing people because yearly a bunch of applicants withdraw when the DO/MD deposits are due which typically occurs after April 30 for DO and after mid may for MD so I am assuming that's when movement will happen.

I emailed admissions a week ago asking this and they said that currently the class is full. They are only allowed to take from 250 to 255 students in each of their classes so right now they are just wait listing people because yearly a bunch of applicants withdraw when the DO/MD deposits are due which typically occurs after April 30 for DO and after mid may for MD so I am assuming that's when movement will happen.
Do you know if any MABS students have been accepted or if they're all waitlisted?

I withdrew my acceptance just now, but I’m having trouble finding information about how to go about receiving my $100 refund. Can anybody shed some light on this or should I email admissions?

Interviewing for AZCOM tomorrow, anyone have any advice as to if and how I should prepare?

Interviewing for AZCOM tomorrow, anyone have any advice as to if and how I should prepare?
Look up the interview questions for azcom on sdn, theres cards on quizlet too. Most important are why medicine, why azcom, why osteopathy. Have an outline of what you want to say, but don't be so rehearsed you sound like a robot. Know your CV inside out, be prepared to talk about any aspect of it. Dont be scared to take like 10 seconds to respond if you are asked a novel question. At the end of the interview, definitely have a couple questions prepared. Most important is to stay calm, these are all questions you've likely been thinking about and answering to friends and family, so just pretend it's a normal conversation

Look up the interview questions for azcom on sdn, theres cards on quizlet too. Most important are why medicine, why azcom, why osteopathy. Have an outline of what you want to say, but don't be so rehearsed you sound like a robot. Know your CV inside out, be prepared to talk about any aspect of it. Dont be scared to take like 10 seconds to respond if you are asked a novel question. At the end of the interview, definitely have a couple questions prepared. Most important is to stay calm, these are all questions you've likely been thinking about and answering to friends and family, so just pretend it's a normal conversation
I second this. 👍🏼 good luck!

Anyone know if accepted students have to take a drug test before school begins?

Anyone know if accepted students have to take a drug test before school begins?
MS 2 here. Not sure if they changed it but we weren't. You get drug tested right before rotations (end of 2nd year after boards).

Just withdrew my acceptance from AZCOM today. I hope it goes to one of you guys!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Any current students mind if I DM them to talk about scholarship opportunities at AZCOM?

Any current students mind if I DM them to talk about scholarship opportunities at AZCOM?
I'll save you the hassle, there aren't any for tuition. They created a new "minority. in medicine" scholarship but after the BLM protests last summer but I'm not sure how much they are and I can't imagine it's much. The scholars that work in the OMM department and take a 5th year of med school I believe have free tuition for part of that time but the. trade off is an extra year of your life so take that as you wish. All DO Schools that I know of or interviewed ta have that scholars program as well.

There are a few small ones for things like travel to conferences but I believe there are less than 5 (don't quote me, im not 100% sure on the number but I know its really low). That might seem generous but thats for a class of 250 students.

That said, if you don't come from family money, you're looking at $500k in loans so quite frankly, any scholarship seems like a drop in the bucket and I don't know of any student's who bother apply for them or just don't have the time.

I'll save you the hassle, there aren't any for tuition. They created a new "minority. in medicine" scholarship but after the BLM protests last summer but I'm not sure how much they are and I can't imagine it's much. The scholars that work in the OMM department and take a 5th year of med school I believe have free tuition for part of that time but the. trade off is an extra year of your life so take that as you wish. All DO Schools that I know of or interviewed ta have that scholars program as well.

There are a few small ones for things like travel to conferences but I believe there are less than 5 (don't quote me, im not 100% sure on the number but I know its really low). That might seem generous but thats for a class of 250 students.

That said, if you don't come from family money, you're looking at $500k in loans so quite frankly, any scholarship seems like a drop in the bucket and I don't know of any student's who bother apply for them or just don't have the time.
Is the COA here really that high? I thought the COA is less than 100k (72k tuition plus 20k fees and living expenses) each year and if you live on campus it’s even less? 500k total COA would be crazy...

I just gave up my acceptance. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist and those of you that choose to go here! It’s a great school and it was a tough choice for me!

Is the COA here really that high? I thought the COA is less than 100k (72k tuition plus 20k fees and living expenses) each year and if you live on campus it’s even less? 500k total COA would be crazy...
I'd say most people who aren't getting help from family are taking out about 100K/year. Thats about 25-30K for living expenses which is doable for the area but keep in mind when you're planning your budget, that includes any test prep material (Uworld, Pathoma, Sketchy, etc.) or other school expenses outside normal fees. Also, depending on where you are scheduled for rotations, you could be paying LA or San Diego level of rent in which case you'd probably have to max out at 120k/year during rotation years. Finally, factor in interest at 8% for 4 years and you have a miraculous amount of debt at somewhere between 450k - 500k... thus greater than the average home mortgage.

• Sad
Does anyone know if emailing the Dean of Admissions is sufficient or whether I actually have to physically mail in a request to get refunded $100 (50% of the deposit) after having withdrawn?

I haven't yet received a response to my email from a little while ago.
Did you by chance figure out how to receive the refund?

Any current students want to comment on the daily class schedule. Are lectures required? Are lectures recorded? How much of the day is spent in class?

Thank you!

Any current students want to comment on the daily class schedule. Are lectures required? Are lectures recorded? How much of the day is spent in class?

Thank you!
Current first year here. No required attendance for lecture. Workshops for a few classes (physio, biochem) are required as well as all labs for OMM and anatomy. Lectures are recorded and uploaded decently quick most of the time. And they currently live stream due to the covid changes. There's talk of taking the live streaming away but we probably won't find that out until next year. The majority of this years class has petitioned to keep that option available.

As far as schedule, it depends on the quarter. Not sure how it will be next year since our schedule was weird with covid. Technically have like 8-4 blocked out on the schedule but that fluctuates with labs and stuff. mandatory attendance each week is probably close to 3-4 hours. Fridays are always light which is nice.

Also a current first year here at AZCOM, can confirm the tuition/COA is bonkers no matter how you slice it. Since I came in without family assistance, it was a driving factor in me doing 4-year HPSP through the Air Force. If any incoming students have questions about our lectures, exams, daily life, etc., feel free to message me on here.

Interviewed last Thursday 4/22 and got to alternate email this morning (Tuesday 4/27).

Given how fast they made the decision and if the class is truly full like everyone else said, I take it as a good thing?

Any current students know the likelihood of getting accepted from the alternate list? I interviewed on 4/16 and placed on the alternate list today 4/27.

just got accepted off the alternate list. interviewed back in Jan. will be declining!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users