2020-2021 University of Pennsylvania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if this means all their merit aid has been given out?
I spoke with Mike Sabara earlier today. I believe he said merit aid should be finalized by early April.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with Mike Sabara earlier today. I believe he said merit aid should be finalized by early April.
Oh that's good to know, thank you! Do you think this means that the century scholarships will be trickling out or that Penn offers merit aid outside of those scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh that's good to know, thank you! Do you think this means that the century scholarships will be trickling out or that Penn offers merit aid outside of those scholarships?
I suspect the former, but don't quote me. I'd recommend contacting Mike though -- just a quick phone call. He's very friendly, very transparent, etc.

I suspect the former, but don't quote me. I'd recommend contacting Mike though -- just a quick phone call. He's very friendly, very transparent, etc.
Thank you! Maybe I will, honestly really appreciate when schools make an effort to be transparent with this stuff and understand how stressful finances are for us

Thank you! Maybe I will, honestly really appreciate when schools make an effort to be transparent with this stuff and understand how stressful finances are for us
Please let us know if you do, currently quite anxious about this haha

Just got the full tuition scholarship to Penn! Unbelievable

edit: turns out it also comes w/ full living stipend!!!! This is CRAZY
Hey! I got the 21st century scholarship, too, but I can't find anything about a living stipend lol. Was this part of the scholarship or a different part of your financial aid package?

Hey! I got the 21st century scholarship, too, but I can't find anything about a living stipend lol. Was this part of the scholarship or a different part of your financial aid package?
Congrats on the scholarship! did you also get it on Wednesday or more recently?

Congrats on the scholarship! did you also get it on Wednesday or more recently?
It appears both scholarship winners are URMs. Is it possible that they are processing URMs first ?

The living stipend should be on the financial aid letter from the portal!

Congrats to everyone who has received a 21 century scholarship! Did you all receive your need-based aid package with it?

Last edited:
The living stipend should be on the financial aid letter from the portal!
My letter only shows the full tuition scholarship. Sounds like you got chosen for a little extra haha. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
i have always been wondering about this, how do you read a match list? I kept hearing about med students discussing "top-tier" residency programs but don't know how you make those judgments. Is there some kind of rankings for residency programs too? Similar to the US news rankings for med schools and colleges?
Each program by specialty get ranked on Doximity.
I know you can query by Specialty, but just by program. Therefore it gets assembled by going through all programs.
Like this:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
There are a few lists, but they can be misleading and they're not transparent on what their criteria are, e.g. research, breadth of clinical training, etc. For example, Hopkins has the top-ranked DR residency in the country, but if you want to sub-specialize in pediatric DR afterwards, it's probably not the best place to go. BWH has the top-ranked psychiatry residency in the country, but some other residency programs are closer to a re-merging of psychiatry and neurology, with attendant impact on teaching emphasis -- how do you compare them? Etc., with, e.g. where you'll be practicing later (types of populations, cultures, billing structures, hospital set-ups [private, for-profit, private, not-for-profit and so on] etc. you come across).

Each program by specialty get ranked on Doximity.
I know you can query by Specialty, but just by program. Therefore it gets assembled by going through all programs.
Like this:
thank you so much!! the info is very helpful <33

Just got what seems like a half-tuition scholarship from Penn!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if Penn matches need-based aid from other peer institutions? I heard they're pretty good with matching money but wasn't sure if that was only for merit aid.

Anyone know if the finaid people are on vacation? Sent sabara an email a few days ago and have yet to receive anything

Anyone know if the finaid people are on vacation? Sent sabara an email a few days ago and have yet to receive anything
Maybe send him an email again to remind him? He must be busy as the FA came out.
From my experience, usually he is very good at responding to emails and he replied to my email yesterday.
If it is super urgent, you can also call him and he is good with phone calls. I believe he gave us his personal cell number during our interview day. He is working from home now but he mentioned to me in the email that he occasionally went to his office on Wednesdays so you may try his office phone number on that day as well.

Should letters of intent be emailed directly to dean of admissions or uploaded onto the Penn portal?

Hi everyone. Is there a facebook group or groupme for incoming students?

Hi everyone. Is there a facebook group or groupme for incoming students?
There is, yes! If you type "Perelman School of Medicine Entering Class of 2021" into the FB search bar, you'll see the FB group pop up. You can then request to join. The link to the GroupMe is pasted on the FB page :)

We are looking to purchase a 2BR or 1BR+Den condo in naval square, Locust Point , arch street or riverwest. If anyone is selling please let me know. Thanks.

We are looking to purchase a 2BR or 1BR+Den condo in naval square, Locust Point , arch street or riverwest. If anyone is selling please let me know. Thanks.
Didn't know people advertise condo sales in SDN school threads

• Haha
I was just asking because there might be a graduating student who wants to sell his/her condo.
Understand, I never came across a post to sell in college specific application threads.

anybody suspecting a certain date and/or day of the week for wl movement? 🤔

Hoping for waitlist movement soon! (I know waitlist movement has historically been low for Penn but still hoping!)

Did anyone else on the waitlist get an email asking about interest?

I sent a letter of intent and then a couple updates.

So you received an email that asked for your interest?
Does that mean that the rest of us should give up hope?
Asking because everything in my life is hung on UPenn's waitlist. Without them giving me a definite answer I can't really commit to the school that currently accepts me and start looking for housing and everything.
Does anybody has any insights or has anybody called the admission office for an answer?
Really really need some help here.
Even a straight rejection from UPenn will do me a big favor!
Yes, I got an email asking for my interest. I'm not on the admissions committee so I can't definitely say if you should "give up hope". I did message a Perelman student, and the word on the street that they heard is that Perelman might have accepted more in the initial wave in March than they normally do so they're now being very careful and deliberate with waitlist acceptances. The email I got isn't a guarantee or anything like that, nor do I know how many people that this email was sent to. With how big the waitlist is and how few people reportedly get accepted off of it, I went into this expecting nothing and maybe being pleasantly surprised in the end. I'm moving forward with the assumption that I should prepare to attend my current acceptance, it would most likely be best for you to do the same. Regardless, if you got to the point where you were able to snag an interview at this school, you're more than capable of succeeding wherever you do end up. We all have bright futures ahead of us and I wish everyone here luck in the upcoming weeks.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, I got an email asking for my interest. I'm not on the admissions committee so I can't definitely say if you should "give up hope". I did message a Perelman student, and the word on the street that they heard is that Perelman might have accepted more in the initial wave in March than they normally do so they're now being very careful and deliberate with waitlist acceptances. The email I got isn't a guarantee or anything like that, nor do I know how many people that this email was sent to. With how big the waitlist is and how few people reportedly get accepted off of it, I went into this expecting nothing and maybe being pleasantly surprised in the end. I'm moving forward with the assumption that I should prepare to attend my current acceptance, it would most likely be best for you to do the same. Regardless, if you got to the point where you were able to snag an interview at this school, you're more than capable of succeeding wherever you do end up. We all have bright futures ahead of us and I wish everyone here luck in the upcoming weeks.
Yo, this guy is capping.... He wants all of us to drop from the WL to improve his chances. I will believe it if I actually see the screenshot of the email for PSOM. I called the admissions office they said they have sent no email on this matter.

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
So you received an email that asked for your interest?
Does that mean that the rest of us should give up hope?
Asking because everything in my life is hung on UPenn's waitlist. Without them giving me a definite answer I can't really commit to the school that currently accepts me and start looking for housing and everything.
Does anybody has any insights or has anybody called the admission office for an answer?
Really really need some help here.
Even a straight rejection from UPenn will do me a big favor!
Depending on your financial situation - if its reasonable to do so, I would just commit and start looking for housing. Best case scenario Penn lets you off of the waitlist and you would need to move, but there's no telling when or even if that would happen (10-20/250+ are not good odds)... If you do get off the waitlist, you definitely would not be the first or only person who backed out at the last minute (unfortunately, if this happens you would probably lose your deposit)

Reactions: 2 users
@jamic19 : I feel like it did, but just no one posted (could be totally wrong though).
just based on previous years, usually at least one person seems to comment about an acceptance off the waitlist so I'm holding out hope, but it is a weird year and stranger things have happened

Based on the FB/GroupMe, it doesn't seem like any new admits have joined since the April 30th deadline, so I think that waitlist movement hasn't started yet!

• Wow
based on past years they would've taken a few from WL by now.....maybe they're dealing with an overfull class? 😳

based on past years they would've taken a few from WL by now.....maybe they're dealing with an overfull class? 😳

If that's the case, that's unfortunate...was really hoping the drop in USNWR rankings to #9 would have deterred a few people XD

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users