2020: Official Thread CWRU School of Dental Medicine c/o 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite, got the email at 10:13pm yesterday, looks like they're burning the midnight oil in Cleveland!
Me too! Me too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Same here!

22AA/ 22TS/ 22BIO/ 22GC/ 24OC/ 23RC/ 20QR
~3.4 GPA
OOS

If you didn't receive an interview or got a post-December interview, hang in there. Stressing out wont help you. Its still early in the game and the fact that you have made it this far, follow these forums and so emotionally invested shows me (and the ADCOMS) just how above average you all are! Stay positive and keep working toward your goals and we will all be sitting back smoking cigars (figuratively of course) laughing about how stressed we were about becoming dentists!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto: Waitlisted for a post-December interview just 10 minutes ago. All the best to everyone pre-December!

3.57 GPA
DAT: 26AA, 25 TS, 27 PAT

EDIT: Also, it's my birthday today :laugh:
What on earth was wrong with your application?

What on earth was wrong with your application?

Do you think there comes a point where your stats are so high that some schools just assume you probably won't end up at their institution and waitlist/reject you? I wonder if that's a real thing... I saw a TON of people who applied first batch to NOVA who got rejected with 25-27AAs and people who got interviews with 19-20AAs. Not that you can reduce a person's app down to just their score, obviously... but still

Do you think there comes a point where your stats are so high that some schools just assume you probably won't end up at their institution and waitlist/reject you? I wonder if that's a real thing... I saw a TON of people who applied first batch to NOVA who got rejected with 25-27AAs and people who got interviews with 19-20AAs. Not that you can reduce a person's app down to just their score, obviously... but still
Maybe sometimes, but I think that a lot of people on this site underestimate the importance of extracurriculars, showing adcoms that they want to be a dentist through their PS, and not making the PS full of grammar errors and/or boring to read. Hundreds of applicants could be qualified for an interview, but if they don't stand out in the rest of their application compared to others, they may not get the coveted interview offer. Just my POV on the topic though. Adcoms are probably reading these threads and laughing at all of the applicants that are trying to solve the method to their interview/admissions process.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe sometimes, but I think that a lot of people on this site underestimate the importance of extracurriculars, showing adcoms that they want to be a dentist through their PS, and not making the PS full of grammar errors and/or boring to read. Hundreds of applicants could be qualified for an interview, but if they don't stand out in the rest of their application compared to others, they may not get the coveted interview offer. Just my POV on the topic though. Adcoms are probably reading these threads and laughing at all of the applicants that are trying to solve the method to their interview/admissions process.

That sounds about right. It's way too hard to evaluate someone without their actual file... and especially because evaluating people isn't our job. I know from talking to people who've interviewed at Tufts that their adcom thinks SDN's "chance me" posts are crazy.

Yeah, I can only think of the fact that I am non-trad being a glaring reason why I haven't been considered for a pre-Dec interview. Maybe I haven't shown enough dedication to dentistry up to this point.

Yeah, I can only think of the fact that I am non-trad being a glaring reason why I haven't been considered for a pre-Dec interview. Maybe I haven't shown enough dedication to dentistry up to this point.
Hmm but even with your high stats and (I'm assuming a good amount of shadowing experience)..you definitely should have gotten a pre-dec...a lot of people should have actually

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds about right. It's way too hard to evaluate someone without their actual file... and especially because evaluating people isn't our job. I know from talking to people who've interviewed at Tufts that their adcom thinks SDN's "chance me" posts are crazy.
I completely agree with you. I've had adcom members tell me to my face that they see stuff on SDN that is completely wrong about their school haha

Hmm but even with your high stats and (I'm assuming a good amount of shadowing experience)..you definitely should have gotten a pre-dec...a lot of people should have actually
This is key. There are many many qualified applicants. There's only a limited number of spots available pre-dec as you all know. Case interviews well into April. I can't speak on cotoncub's application without seeing it, but there is still a chance he will be interviewed post-dec if his application is strong and he's the right fit. As long as he hasn't been rejected, don't rule out the possibility yet.

Last edited:
I am quite honest with myself and others that my expectations from this application process are fairly low because of all these unknown variables that we can't account for when it comes to making decisions. I do believe that I have a decent application, but it is hard to compare with students that have shown throughout school a passion for dentistry and a desire to pursue the profession through involvement in dental related clubs/officer positions, and volunteer events.

Application submitted 7/28. BCP 4.04 Science 3.60 Overall 3.46 23AA 24TS 21PAT 24RC. Still says "Received/Application Complete"

I was in first batch, still no interview/hold/rejection. What is to become of me :(

Did all the spots for pre dec interview fill up already?

Did all the spots for pre dec interview fill up already?
doubt it. just because people have received a post-dec email doesn't mean the spots for pre-dec are all full. it just means they're on a waitlist and aren't being outright rejected but are instead being held for future review.

doubt it. just because people have received a post-dec email doesn't mean the spots for pre-dec are all full. it just means they're on a waitlist and aren't being outright rejected but are instead being held for future review.
Oh ok, thank! I hope i can get an interview there pre dec.

Hi Dr. Chuck,
For those who are on post-dec wait list, do they have a chance to be re-considered for pre-dec interview?

Forgot to post this, but I also got a post December reconsideration email received on 8/18/15.

The Glidden House is a great hotel close to the dental school. It's probably only a 0.25-0.35mile walk to the dental school. It has a decent complimentary breakfast that starts at 6:30am which is why I went with this place. I was able/lucky enough to check-in around 12:30pm instead of the stated 4:00pm which was awesome and they also held onto my luggage the next day while I went through the interview.

From the Cleveland airport I took the red-line train to the campus for $2.25. CWRU is such a beautiful campus but the red-line goes through some rougher parts of town and the people on the bus are a bit of a tougher/intimidating crowd. The cost of it made it worth the risk for me, I figure anyone riding during day light hours is pretty safe. I picked up a newspaper while I was in town and it said the new camera system on the train has reduced crime by 30%.

Interview invite for October 22nd! Anyone know if the airport is close by?

Last edited:
Stats and mail-out date? Congrats!

Notification date: 9/14/15
Method of notification: Email
Interview Date: 10/22/15
Residency: IA
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/08/15
Application complete date: 8/04/15
GPA: 3.97 science/3.96 BCP/3.92 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22 AA/23 TS/21 PAT/21 RC/none

So excited and nervous!

Interview invited:soexcited: so @w4nt2baDDS ended up staying in Glidden House? From what you said, I'm sure it will be a good place to stay then? :) Is there anyone going there tuesday Oct 21th and want to share room?

The Glidden House is a great hotel close to the dental school. It's probably only a 0.25-0.35mile walk to the dental school. It has a decent complimentary breakfast that starts at 6:30am which is why I went with this place. I was able/lucky enough to check-in around 12:30pm instead of the stated 4:00pm which was awesome and they also held onto my luggage the next day while I went through the interview.

From the Cleveland airport I took the red-line train to the campus for $2.25. CWRU is such a beautiful campus but the red-line goes through some rougher parts of town and the people on the bus are a bit of a tougher/intimidating crowd. The cost of it made it worth the risk for me, I figure anyone riding during day light hours is pretty safe. I picked up a newspaper while I was in town and it said the new camera system on the train has reduced crime by 30%.

The Glidden House is close to the Delta Sigma Delta fraternity house where many current dental students live. They aren't able to rent out a room to interviewing candidates this year, but if you are planning your travel and want to talk with dental students, it's possible they might welcome you to talk with them informally over coffee (there is a coffee shop practically in their backyard, as well as a nice campus adult drinking establishment). You can get to the Glidden by the RTA Red Line with a stop at the new University Circle/Little Italy station. It's about a quarter mile walk.

The Glidden House is close to the Delta Sigma Delta fraternity house where many current dental students live. They aren't able to rent out a room to interviewing candidates this year, but if you are planning your travel and want to talk with dental students, it's possible they might welcome you to talk with them informally over coffee (there is a coffee shop practically in their backyard, as well as a nice campus adult drinking establishment). You can get to the Glidden by the RTA Red Line with a stop at the new University Circle/Little Italy station. It's about a quarter mile walk.
Thank you Dr. Chuck!

I got a great deal booking a room at the Glidden House the night before my interview (great suggestion!). I was wondering if you know whether check-in is 24 hours? Do you know if they will store your luggage for you after check-out? I'll be arriving in Cleveland at 12:17 am, and I'll probably get there by 1:30 am.

Dr. Chuck when does the next wave of interview invites go out?

Dr. Chuck when does the next wave of interview invites go out?
As spots have been opening up, invitations have been going out on a rolling basis to fill up any remaining spots on our interview calendar for December notification. Of course, we have found that someone had registered in as a "test" but forgot to delete it, thus denying someone a precious opportunity to interview.

As spots have been opening up, invitations have been going out on a rolling basis to fill up any remaining spots on our interview calendar for December notification. Of course, we have found that someone had registered in as a "test" but forgot to delete it, thus denying someone a precious opportunity to interview.
So Pre-December invites are done pretty much?

I'll always remember this interview from last year. I took a overnight bus in my suit like a dork and forgot my tie on bus. So you can imagine my morning already, running to target and waiting for it to open, then running to the school.

Fun times

At least the weather during this time of the year is great. It's been mild 70s every week so far. Imagine running around in februray :eek:

Anyone know waht is acceptance rate after having an interview?

Not sure if this will help, but it could be a great way to express interest in the school - received this email today

Hello,

I appreciate your patience with the application process so far.
I wanted to be sure you were able to share this opportunity with your peers who are planning to apply to dental school next cycle. The ASDA chapter at Case Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine is hosting an open house for Saturday, October 24. Registration for this event can be found on their website at http://www.caseasda.org/?page_id=815 . Please share this information with your predental peers, especially if they are seriously considering applying to CWRU SODM.

Space is limited, and a materials fee is required from all participants.
Sincerely,
Emil Chuck, Ph.D.
Director of Admissions
School of Dental Medicine
Case Western Reserve University

Not sure if this will help, but it could be a great way to express interest in the school - received this email today

Hello,

I appreciate your patience with the application process so far.
I wanted to be sure you were able to share this opportunity with your peers who are planning to apply to dental school next cycle. The ASDA chapter at Case Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine is hosting an open house for Saturday, October 24. Registration for this event can be found on their website at http://www.caseasda.org/?page_id=815 . Please share this information with your predental peers, especially if they are seriously considering applying to CWRU SODM.

Space is limited, and a materials fee is required from all participants.
Sincerely,
Emil Chuck, Ph.D.
Director of Admissions
School of Dental Medicine
Case Western Reserve University

Snap... you beat me from posting this up. :) Please share.

Snap... you beat me from posting this up. :) Please share.

I am! While I know this won't guarantee an applicant an interview (if they are waiting), do you think it reflects in their favor at all? Obviously there are geographic issues that will prevent many applicants to fly across country for the event, but I was wondering in your opinion/experience if admissions will see and take it into consideration at all if someone came to learn more about CWRU because they are very interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.