2020 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone,
I had my interview yesterday! Good luck to you all who have interviews. Glad to hear you made it this far!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
My interview is tomorrow so I should be getting an email confirmation today correct?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is tomorrow so I should be getting an email confirmation today correct?
I chose my interview date as soon as the portal opened and I got an e-mail confirmation like 2 days after. So you should of got one or will get one. Check your junk mail as well.

Just had my interview. I felt it went pretty well! For those of you who have yet to interview, I wouldn’t be nervous (as impossible as that sounds) lol. It felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Reactions: 6 users
Finished up my interview! Like others stated, it was a very positive interview. Good luck everyone!

I just finished up my interview! It was definitely not as nerve racking as I thought it would be! Just be yourself like everyone has said before. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all just a heads up! I submitted my interview time for this upcoming week on Wednesday and when I went to check my portal today the “Submit” button was green again and it said “there was 8 hours to submit this” so I just re-submitted.

Not sure if it’s just a glitch. But i recommend checking to ensure it’s submitted.

Thanks!
Mines did the exact same thing. Only reason why I caught it was because I went back to try to screenshot my interview time and caught it when it said I had 38 minutes left to submit! Wow I hope they are aware of that glitch too.

Was the zoom meeting fairly easy to set up? I have no used that platform before.
It’s easy! Just make sure you open the link and set things up to familiarize yourself before your interview. I would do it as soon as possible just in case you’re having issues.

Did anyone ask how big the application pool was this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I have my interview tomorrow and I’m super nervous but excited! If there isn’t an answer to this by the end of the day I’ll ask tomorrow!

:)

Did anyone ask how big the application pool was this year?

Reactions: 4 users
Just had my interview this afternoon and like others said it was really good and more of a conversation. Take your time and good luck!

I did not ask about the application pool, but hoping if someone knew and wanted to share!

Reactions: 1 users
A family member had an interview. There was no 'stress question'. She had been told in previous years the interview had a stress question. What was everyone else's experience? I wish I knew how many they take vs how many they interview. Good luck to everyone who interviewed.

For anyone that did their interviews already, how many questions did they ask?
Are the questions conflict resolution and situational?
Sorry for all the questions, I feel nervous.

Hi all!

It looks like there were 2000 applicants this year and they’re interviewing 500.

I forgot exactly how many slots they were looking to fill though.

As others mentioned before it was more conversational :)

Hope this helped!

For anyone that did their interviews already, how many questions did they ask?
Are the questions conflict resolution and situational?
Sorry for all the questions, I feel nervous.
Hi! I had 6 questions and they were more so tell me about yourself/ why did you choose public health as your career, the others were more so behavioral questions so “name a time where you...” it was very simple. It felt more like a conversation than an interview honestly! You’ll be fine, just be confident in your answers!

Hi all!

It looks like there were 2000 applicants this year and they’re interviewing 500.

Hope this helped!
Wow, 500 :nailbiting: from previous forums (and I could be wrong) it looks like they take at least 100, I'm not sure if it's ever much more than that.

Hi all!

Hope this helped!
how were you able to obtain this information?

Hi! I had 6 questions and they were more so tell me about yourself/ why did you choose public health as your career, the others were more so behavioral questions so “name a time where you...” it was very simple. It felt more like a conversation than an interview honestly! You’ll be fine, just be confident in your answers!
Thank u so much!

Wow, 500 :nailbiting: from previous forums (and I could be wrong) it looks like they take at least 100, I'm not sure if it's ever much more than that.
When i asked my interviewer he said they take 200 so I don’t know.. now i’m more nervous than before. I feel like bigger states they take about 2-3 candidates but I could be wrong!

When i asked my interviewer he said they take 200 so I don’t know.. now i’m more nervous than before. I feel like bigger states they take about 2-3 candidates but I could be wrong!
Oh okay, thanks for sharing! That makes me feel a little better. But I feel you, it’s nerve wracking. We’re all right there with you lol :happy:

The interview was so casual and disarming. I don't think I have ever had such a good time answering questions. By the time it was over I felt more like I was exchanging sea stories with a co-worker more than selling myself for a job. Tricky, tricky.

Honestly, the interview style was very much how I would choose to interview someone. The questions are pretty standard, but the relaxed manner allowed me to get more in-depth with my answers without feeling like I was digging myself into a hole. And now we wait.

JD

Good luck to all 2020 applicants on your interviews!!

Reactions: 5 users

The past few cohorts have been around 120 PHAPs with a retention rate of roughly 90-100 of them finishing the program at the end of the 2 years, if I remember correctly from our orientation training last year. My supervisor said they had around 200ish host sites apply for PHAPs this year (usually there's a lot more than that who apply, but the pandemic seems to have prevented a lot of sites from being able to take the time to fill out the application). Not sure if there will be extra funding for more PHAP positions due to the pandemic or if they'll keep the 120 class size.

hey everyone- first time poster, long time lurker hahah :) how is everyone dealing with the stress of waiting to hear back? I feel like I'm going crazy with this state of limbo

hey everyone- first time poster, long time lurker hahah :) how is everyone dealing with the stress of waiting to hear back? I feel like I'm going crazy with this state of limbo

Take this time to really think about what it is you want out of Public Health. Will this opportunity actually benefit me in the long run? Am I prepared to bolster up my resume and experience for next year should I not get accepted? What moves can I make to progress? The reality is that this is a rare opportunity to actually get a job in the field, let alone with a specific program. So if I have a BA/BS/MS in public health, regardless of acceptance, will I continue education during the next two years, shift degree track/ work on a less broad subject area etc...

Right now I am working on CDC Train classes. They are free. Though they may not count for much, they do give a bit of insight into many areas of public health, so it is a bit more institutional exposure. GS5 pay really is not much when you break it down hourly. GS7 is a bit better, and GS9 a bit better than that (The assumed 2-year start and end pay with GS9 potential). The public health field is pretty much government work. So if this doesn't work out, how can I stack my degree towards something that applies towards HR or other private sector work in places such as hospitals, medical centers, pharma jobs.

While I keep a positive outlook, all of this can apply regardless of whether or not I get accepted. The drop rate for this program exists for a reason. Some find it does not fit with their lives, expectations, or sudden life changes. So I guess I just think about 3 years from today and how I can prepare for that tomorrow.

JD

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
I am patiently waiting. This is exciting to look forward to.

Im taking the advice of previous applicants. I have been applying to fellowships and other jobs I found on usajobs. I have also applied to two doctoral programs. I have received one acceptance letter. Waiting to hear from the other school so I can make my choice. I’m trying not to spend so much time thinking about it. Just trying to carry on normally. However, I keep checking this forum at least once a day lol.

I would absolutely love this opportunity!!! I find it exciting and adventurous to just pack up and leave and get the opportunity to experience different cultures, locations, etc. Also, the hands on learning experience. Unfortunately, I haven’t participated in any internship programs or had any type of hands on experience in my field. (Hoping this doesn’t hinder me from being selected) So to finally be close to gaining some valuable hands on experience is another reason I’m so elated about making it this far in the process!

I’m optimistic, but also realistic. Realistically, if 500 people were interviewed, they will only select approx 1/4 of those interviewed to move on (based on previous posts I’ve read, not really sure about the actual numbers). So, while I’m overjoyed & looking forward to accepting an offer on the spot lol! I’m also moving on and making plans for my future in case I’m not selected.

Hi!

I am so excited about the potential opportunity but nervous at the same time giving the acceptance rate.

I've been contracted by my state to help with the COVID response, working 12 hours a day so I actually haven't had a lot of time to actually THINK about the fact that I'm waiting to hear back lol. I've also been applying to other positions and trying to see what will be best for me, as mentioned by a previous poster the GS5 is not a lot and I need to be realistic with cost of living and all that (if I even get selected lol).

It’s officially June! We should be hearing back at any time now. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 10 users
I suppose I’m most concerned about the geographic preference. The person who interviewed me told me most get one of their top 5 but the alums I’ve spoken to told me it was unlikely. What have y’all heard?

I suppose I’m most concerned about the geographic preference. The person who interviewed me told me most get one of their top 5 but the alums I’ve spoken to told me it was unlikely. What have y’all heard?

Well it’s possible you can get your first preference but they said it also depends on the amount of host sites.

That is the biggest concern of mine. I’m just waiting to hear a response first but i heard they have changed it to your top 5 you pick because in previous years people would go places and then leave because it wasn’t the right fit for them

That is the biggest concern of mine. I’m just waiting to hear a response first but i heard they have changed it to your top 5 you pick because in previous years people would go places and then leave because it wasn’t the right fit for them
Did you hear this during your interview? Or a current associate ? After reviewing my top 5 I wish I could change it.

The way it came across to me when I asked is that after the interviews, they pool the selected candidates which are then used and matched to host sites using our preferences as guides.

The questions about urban, rural, native/Indian populations also go into placement decisions as well. The dream sheet (as I call it) is utilized, but these are regions as determined by (from what I gather) the Federal and national regions I-X. Next is any consideration such as family (spouse children etc), new health issues, or anything that might restrict a viable and accepted candidate's ability to move within reason. These all play a role in placement. Let me add, we don’t get a choice. They said they will call to offer the position and you will have been matched by that point.

So, you may live in South Carolina, prefer urban, but have no issue with working for Indian reservations. There are no host sites in SC, but you would like to live in driving distance to home because of an ailing family member or a child who needs to be close to hospital care. They look at the region (4 I believe), nearest host site of need, that comes close to your request (7 states in that region). You may end up a state or two away but in the same region.

I think the reality is that it is the needs of the CDC. If you answered that anything works for you, but placed your home state as a preference, your odds of getting located in Guam may have gone up! I kid, but this is the only thing I can think of and the reason for some of the questions.

JD

Last edited:
I know it’s kind of early but does anyone have any new info or updates??

I’ve been wondering the same. I was told to be on the look out the first week of June. They may be backed up due to the protesting in Atlanta since that’s where the CDC headquarters are. That’s just my guess but I could be wrong. Patiently and anxiously waiting

My interviewer said it could be June or sometime July just because they may be backed up. I just re-checked their timeline and now it says “Mid-june to late August” I’m anxiously waiting as well.
AD1A7ADD-D8CB-4857-B2FA-7EC91ACCAD7D.jpeg

Mandibelle,

I was just in the middle of trying to screenshot and shrink that timeline info! If you go back and read the past pHAP forums there are quite a few folks who found out in July and August. On the one hand, this makes the wait a bit tense, on the other, if you don't hear back by the end of June, into July, there is still hope!

There is a lot going on right now int he world of public health. Let's not forget, that unless otherwise stated there is still every single public health issue to deal with, plus the prospect of a COVI19 surge as well as all the other stuff that may come about from the protests, riots, and any other seasonal illnesses, a hurricane, windstorms, so much.

But we always have the board. I think even though we all know it will be slow going, there is that chance that once one of us gets a call it will somehow signal the beginning of the end of this long journey. Stay safe.

My interviewer said it could be June or sometime July just because they may be backed up. I just re-checked their timeline and now it says “Mid-june to late August” I’m anxiously waiting as well.
View attachment 309018
My interviewer told me 4-8 weeks. So I believe that should be next week. Me too, I keep checking my email, and this forum.

Last year, I was interviewed on May 14th and got my offer on June 11th. I don't know how similar the timeline is for this year, but if it's the same people should start getting calls next week. Answer any call with an Atlanta area code (404, 678, or 770) and check your spam emails often!

I know I've said this before, but it will make your life a lot easier if you already have made up your mind about whether or not to accept your offer before you get the call. The deadline to accept your offer is very short and it's hard to get in touch with people again, so it'll make your next steps quicker if you give a definitive yes or no when on the phone with the person who gives you your offer. Another reminder that HR will have next to no details so don't expect them to be able to answer in depth questions about your assignment. The only info they have when they call you is the city you're assigned to, your salary offer, and a general program area. They don't even have access to your host site name.

Reactions: 8 users
Last year, I was interviewed on May 14th and got my offer on June 11th. I don't know how similar the timeline is for this year, but if it's the same people should start getting calls next week. Answer any call with an Atlanta area code (404, 678, or 770) and check your spam emails often!

I know I've said this before, but it will make your life a lot easier if you already have made up your mind about whether or not to accept your offer before you get the call. The deadline to accept your offer is very short and it's hard to get in touch with people again, so it'll make your next steps quicker if you give a definitive yes or no when on the phone with the person who gives you your offer. Another reminder that HR will have next to no details so don't expect them to be able to answer in depth questions about your assignment. The only info they have when they call you is the city you're assigned to, your salary offer, and a general program area. They don't even have access to your host site name.

GoldenMouse,

This is good information, especially the heads up on the area codes.

Would you be willing to give us all a brief look into how your first year is going? Maybe what your first week was like, then what you did three months in, and what you're doing today?

I know I get the gist of this program, but I think many people are actually wondering what and how it works, myself included. Reading the program's structured goals and actually doing it are two different things. I have spoked to a few applicants and the perception seems to vary from a training program like working towards a thesis, an in-depth guided position with a checklist to accomplish, to a sink or swim job placement.

JD

GoldenMouse,

This is good information, especially the heads up on the area codes.

Would you be willing to give us all a brief look into how your first year is going? Maybe what your first week was like, then what you did three months in, and what you're doing today?

I know I get the gist of this program, but I think many people are actually wondering what and how it works, myself included. Reading the program's structured goals and actually doing it are two different things. I have spoked to a few applicants and the perception seems to vary from a training program like working towards a thesis, an in-depth guided position with a checklist to accomplish, to a sink or swim job placement.

JD

Sure! Heads up that this is going to be a super long post! Every experience is very different and completely dependent on your host site and what they applied to have you do while you're there. However, there is an overarching set of public health related benchmarks you're supposed to meet during your 2 years for everyone in the program to try to make sure even if the experience isn't the same across the board, hopefully everyone leaves with at least a base knowledge of certain topics. These topics range from the basics of public health sciences, to understanding funding of public health programs, to cultural competency, and all kinds of other things.

In between when you get your offer and when you start your position is just as crazy as the application process. You'll go through fingerprinting at an approved facility near you, several rounds of paperwork for security clearances so you can get your CDC ID (you usually get your ID when you come to Atlanta for your first training so I don't know how that's going to work this year), and a set of online webinar courses that are optional, but highly recommended, that should help you learn to navigate the program and set your expectations for what the next 2 years will look like.

During that time, you'll also be scrambling to find housing in your new location that you can afford. People in more rural areas might have a harder time finding rentals, but have cheaper rent. I live in a rural area and called 20+ rental companies, only had one return my calls, and didn't get to see pictures of where I would be living until the day before I took a week long road trip to get there. In a big city, there's more places to choose from, but many will likely be outside your budget unless you have a significant other who will be living with you and making decent money or you find a roommate.

It also was much harder than I expected organizing packing up your whole life and going through the moving process. I had moved 5+ times in the last 4 years so I figured it wouldn't be that much different, but I was incredibly wrong. All of those moves had been local, and this move was from Florida to Oregon. Due to a lot of factors, I couldn't find a single moving option that would work other than driving my personal car and only taking what fit in it, which isn't much. So after months of denial I donated every piece of furniture I owned to other college kids, left about half my clothes in a closet at my parents' house, and got really good at packing space bags (the ones that you suck all the air out of with a vacuum to minimize the amount of space they take up). My dad took 2 weeks off work and we spent a week taking a Great American Road Trip to get out to Oregon, staying the night with a lot of family along the way, and a week setting up my new apartment and orienting me to my new town.

I chose to move a month before the program started because I'm someone who needs time to adjust to my new space before I'm able to thrive in a new environment. I knew that being thousands of miles from everyone and everything I knew was going to be an adjustment I wouldn't be able to make in a week or 2. So I had my dad there the first week to help me assemble furniture, hang pictures, and explore some of the other towns around here. I spent a lot of time traveling that month since we don't have many big stores in my town. I also took the time to go to local museums, check out the Arts Center and the farmer's market, and generally go out to places where I could try to make friends. Other people moved up to the week before the program started. When people moved seemed to mostly depend on if they were leaving another job behind to come to this one, if they had a significant other or a family moving with them, and how far they were moving.

A quick blurb about my host site since your host site affects everything about your experience. I am assigned to a Tribal health clinic in eastern Oregon. As I said before, it's a very rural area, so our clinic offers a really wide range of services that a lot of other clinics might not since it can be a very long drive to other places that offer specialty care. I work under the umbrella of a Community Health and Wellness program and was originally assigned mainly to Community Health Assessment (CHA) and Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) related work. That has changed a lot due to the pandemic and a major flood, but we'll get to that in a minute. From the descriptions you gave above, I would say my work has been more along the lines of a sink or swim position out of those options, but that's a sort of work style I'm familiar with and tend to excel in so I haven't really minded.

The first week of the program was a whirlwind. My host site was in the middle of a huge month long Harry Potter themed event to celebrate Halloween, so on my first day when the IT department couldn't get my computer log on to work they sent me to a Harry Potter trivia game as a way to meet other people who work in the clinic. I love Harry Potter and it worked fabulously because I won the game by a landslide and then spent the month being referred to as "that Harry Potter girl" instead of "the new girl" when people didn't know my name :lol:. I am so grateful that the events they held that month fostered the sort of environment that made it easy to meet people and get to know them in a casual way since I'm not always great at getting to know new people. The rest of my first week was spent meeting people and doing trainings. I got to tour my host site, go through their new hire training program, and took a lot of CDC's trainings for our first month of the program. It will probably take a while for your host site to get everything set up for you. People in my cohort had problems with their host site log ins, getting general office equipment ordered and/or set up, etc. and it's to be expected, especially if you are the first associate they've been assigned. Your goals for your first week should be less about the work you'll be doing and more about adjusting to your new workplace and learning the culture there. Recognizing who other people go to when they're having problems, learning names, and things like that are going to be invaluable later in your program.

Three months into my program was January 2020. By that point I was deeply involved in a lot of work at my host site. We were full steam ahead planning for the Community Health Assessment I was there to help run. I had started writing our first draft with input here and there from my host site supervisor. I was working with our Behavioral Health team to run our Warming Station for people experiencing homelessness on the Reservation. We were about to have our Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) site visit so we had a mock site visit to prepare for that. The whole Community Health and Wellness department was working on a variety of health promotion programs. Three months in I felt very well oriented to the community and the work both my department and the clinic as a whole was doing. I finally had people remembering I was there and coming to me for help on projects I had expressed an interest in and things like that, which felt awesome after months of working very hard to earn the respect of my new colleagues. I also by that point had been watching what would later be named COVID-19 very carefully and even though it hadn't yet fallen on most of my co-workers radars being aware of that would become important later on.

Instead of jumping all the way to today, I'm going to give a bit more of a timeline overview of what happened between February and now. In February, we had our PHAB site visit, which went really well! Then, a week later, we had a major flood for the first time in roughly 50+ years. Since everyone from our partner entities who would have been needed for input on the CHA was working flood response, I got assigned to flood response. Early on in the program I had expressed interest in emergency management related activities and mentioned my experience working in volunteer disaster response, so my host site supervisor really let me run with this one. I did everything from helping set up our Warming Station as an evacuation shelter on the night of the flood, to helping run our flood resource center for the public, to organizing flood clean up kits to distribute. Those flood clean up kits included N95 masks so people wouldn't inhale mold spores while tearing out drywall and cabinets and flooring that had been damaged by flood water. The excess N95 masks would also become a convenient stockpile of PPE for COVID-19 when they became impossible to order. So the flood response lasted roughly 3 weeks and then I took most of the last week of February off since I had been working crazy hours and 3 weekends in a row.

I came back from that time off to the first case of COVID-19 in my county being announced on Monday, March 2 and immediately transitioned to full time COVID-19 work. At the time, I was the only staff member at my host site who had taken the WHO COVID-19 trainings since I did those for fun/out of interest way before they became relevant on a local scale. Since March, I've participated in our incident command meetings, been part of our PPE supply monitoring team, helped with a COVID-19 surveillance study, crated educational materials, sent out links with updated guidance from CDC and the Oregon Health Authority on a regular basis, and all kinds of other tasks. It's been stressful, but exactly the type of work I've always wanted to do. Now that things are calming down and other Tribal entities are returning to work slowly I'm working on finding a balance between doing COVID-19 related work and trying to get our CHA back on track after taking a 4 month hiatus from it.

Every person's experience will be different, but there's generally some leeway for you to create the experience you're looking for like I did with getting to work in emergency response. If you get assigned to a program area or a project that you aren't excited about I wouldn't let that discourage you from accepting the position. Put in the work on that project and then talk with both your host site supervisor and your CDC supervisor about how you can create opportunities for what your really want to do in addition to your main project assignments. Maybe that looks like getting permission to block out a few hours a week to take trainings you're interested in or to shadow something another department is working on at your host site. The best part of this program being designed to be a training program for people new to the world of working in public health is that there's flexibility to make sure the host site work gets done while still having the ability to learn about or experience other things you have an interest in and that may help you meet those program benchmarks I talked about earlier.

This was incredibly long and I feel like maybe I'm rambling a bit, but feel free to message me or respond to this with questions and I'll do my best to answer them :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
GoldenMouse,

That was exactly what I was hoping for! You even nailed my potential follow up questions. I didn't want to ask you for too much detail as it can be quite a bit to respond to. You covered some very specific areas as well, such as the months between the offer and the job site. Learning how the program works such as the recommendations on the online classes and optional things is great. Also, the personal bits you include should put most of us at ease. I think there may be a bit of apprehension as most new things tend to bring.

I live in Oregon actually, and the fact that your working in a tribal position presents an interesting note to me. On the 2019 host site map, it lists only Portland and Coos bay as sites. Is this post assigned out of Portland? The reason I ask is that this shows the range of opportunities available.

Do you find yourself working outside of or beyond a scope you had previously considered? You mention a variety of work experiences and this makes me all the more hyped about the program. Do you find that expressing an interest in specific objectives has helped you? Do your "hosts" actively encourage this kind of interest? When I was in school to be an EMT we did rotations in a hospital and on an ambulance, and those students who just sat there had a terrible experience but also expected the staff to hand them opportunities. I jumped at them all. I see you mention shadowing and this sounds like what I am talking about.

You mentioned the WHO training. Are these like the CDC Train type courses? I think it is great that you were part of the whole COVID19 response effort, from the incident command meetings to the monitoring and education and materials part. Where these assigned or is this a team response effort? You don't have to answer all that, it is just too cool!

Does your specific project work in conjunction with your work? Does that make sense? I see your varied experience thus far in maintaining, and overcoming the challenge of daily routine, the added aspects of COVD19, as well as unforeseen issues like floods and the issues it brings regarding public health. Does the project work along with those or is it more specific requiring additional time and effort? Does this require the dreaded time management! (j/k)

Thank you for detailing the response effort you worked on. It actually helps a lot to read about the process you were involved in as a new associate. I actually enjoy working in emergency response, so maybe it was too close to home!

I greatly appreciate your response and effort here. I feel like the kid in the front row hahaha!

JD