2020 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure! Heads up that this is going to be a super long post! Every experience is very different and completely dependent on your host site and what they applied to have you do while you're there. However, there is an overarching set of public health related benchmarks you're supposed to meet during your 2 years for everyone in the program to try to make sure even if the experience isn't the same across the board, hopefully everyone leaves with at least a base knowledge of certain topics. These topics range from the basics of public health sciences, to understanding funding of public health programs, to cultural competency, and all kinds of other things.

In between when you get your offer and when you start your position is just as crazy as the application process. You'll go through fingerprinting at an approved facility near you, several rounds of paperwork for security clearances so you can get your CDC ID (you usually get your ID when you come to Atlanta for your first training so I don't know how that's going to work this year), and a set of online webinar courses that are optional, but highly recommended, that should help you learn to navigate the program and set your expectations for what the next 2 years will look like.

During that time, you'll also be scrambling to find housing in your new location that you can afford. People in more rural areas might have a harder time finding rentals, but have cheaper rent. I live in a rural area and called 20+ rental companies, only had one return my calls, and didn't get to see pictures of where I would be living until the day before I took a week long road trip to get there. In a big city, there's more places to choose from, but many will likely be outside your budget unless you have a significant other who will be living with you and making decent money or you find a roommate.

It also was much harder than I expected organizing packing up your whole life and going through the moving process. I had moved 5+ times in the last 4 years so I figured it wouldn't be that much different, but I was incredibly wrong. All of those moves had been local, and this move was from Florida to Oregon. Due to a lot of factors, I couldn't find a single moving option that would work other than driving my personal car and only taking what fit in it, which isn't much. So after months of denial I donated every piece of furniture I owned to other college kids, left about half my clothes in a closet at my parents' house, and got really good at packing space bags (the ones that you suck all the air out of with a vacuum to minimize the amount of space they take up). My dad took 2 weeks off work and we spent a week taking a Great American Road Trip to get out to Oregon, staying the night with a lot of family along the way, and a week setting up my new apartment and orienting me to my new town.

I chose to move a month before the program started because I'm someone who needs time to adjust to my new space before I'm able to thrive in a new environment. I knew that being thousands of miles from everyone and everything I knew was going to be an adjustment I wouldn't be able to make in a week or 2. So I had my dad there the first week to help me assemble furniture, hang pictures, and explore some of the other towns around here. I spent a lot of time traveling that month since we don't have many big stores in my town. I also took the time to go to local museums, check out the Arts Center and the farmer's market, and generally go out to places where I could try to make friends. Other people moved up to the week before the program started. When people moved seemed to mostly depend on if they were leaving another job behind to come to this one, if they had a significant other or a family moving with them, and how far they were moving.

A quick blurb about my host site since your host site affects everything about your experience. I am assigned to a Tribal health clinic in eastern Oregon. As I said before, it's a very rural area, so our clinic offers a really wide range of services that a lot of other clinics might not since it can be a very long drive to other places that offer specialty care. I work under the umbrella of a Community Health and Wellness program and was originally assigned mainly to Community Health Assessment (CHA) and Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) related work. That has changed a lot due to the pandemic and a major flood, but we'll get to that in a minute. From the descriptions you gave above, I would say my work has been more along the lines of a sink or swim position out of those options, but that's a sort of work style I'm familiar with and tend to excel in so I haven't really minded.

The first week of the program was a whirlwind. My host site was in the middle of a huge month long Harry Potter themed event to celebrate Halloween, so on my first day when the IT department couldn't get my computer log on to work they sent me to a Harry Potter trivia game as a way to meet other people who work in the clinic. I love Harry Potter and it worked fabulously because I won the game by a landslide and then spent the month being referred to as "that Harry Potter girl" instead of "the new girl" when people didn't know my name :lol:. I am so grateful that the events they held that month fostered the sort of environment that made it easy to meet people and get to know them in a casual way since I'm not always great at getting to know new people. The rest of my first week was spent meeting people and doing trainings. I got to tour my host site, go through their new hire training program, and took a lot of CDC's trainings for our first month of the program. It will probably take a while for your host site to get everything set up for you. People in my cohort had problems with their host site log ins, getting general office equipment ordered and/or set up, etc. and it's to be expected, especially if you are the first associate they've been assigned. Your goals for your first week should be less about the work you'll be doing and more about adjusting to your new workplace and learning the culture there. Recognizing who other people go to when they're having problems, learning names, and things like that are going to be invaluable later in your program.

Three months into my program was January 2020. By that point I was deeply involved in a lot of work at my host site. We were full steam ahead planning for the Community Health Assessment I was there to help run. I had started writing our first draft with input here and there from my host site supervisor. I was working with our Behavioral Health team to run our Warming Station for people experiencing homelessness on the Reservation. We were about to have our Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) site visit so we had a mock site visit to prepare for that. The whole Community Health and Wellness department was working on a variety of health promotion programs. Three months in I felt very well oriented to the community and the work both my department and the clinic as a whole was doing. I finally had people remembering I was there and coming to me for help on projects I had expressed an interest in and things like that, which felt awesome after months of working very hard to earn the respect of my new colleagues. I also by that point had been watching what would later be named COVID-19 very carefully and even though it hadn't yet fallen on most of my co-workers radars being aware of that would become important later on.

Instead of jumping all the way to today, I'm going to give a bit more of a timeline overview of what happened between February and now. In February, we had our PHAB site visit, which went really well! Then, a week later, we had a major flood for the first time in roughly 50+ years. Since everyone from our partner entities who would have been needed for input on the CHA was working flood response, I got assigned to flood response. Early on in the program I had expressed interest in emergency management related activities and mentioned my experience working in volunteer disaster response, so my host site supervisor really let me run with this one. I did everything from helping set up our Warming Station as an evacuation shelter on the night of the flood, to helping run our flood resource center for the public, to organizing flood clean up kits to distribute. Those flood clean up kits included N95 masks so people wouldn't inhale mold spores while tearing out drywall and cabinets and flooring that had been damaged by flood water. The excess N95 masks would also become a convenient stockpile of PPE for COVID-19 when they became impossible to order. So the flood response lasted roughly 3 weeks and then I took off most of the last week of February off since I had been working crazy hours and 3 weekends in a row.

I came back from that time off to the first case of COVID-19 in my county being announced on Monday, March 2 and immediately transitioned to full time COVID-19 work. At the time, I was the only staff member at my host site who had taken the WHO COVID-19 trainings since I did those for fun/out of interest way before they became relevant on a local scale. Since March, I've participated in our incident command meetings, been part of our PPE supply monitoring team, helped with a COVID-19 surveillance study, crated educational materials, sent out links with updated guidance from CDC and the Oregon Health Authority on a regular basis, and all kinds of other tasks. It's been stressful, but exactly the type of work I've always wanted to do. Now that things are calming down and other Tribal entities are returning to work slowly I'm working on finding a balance between doing COVID-19 related work and trying to get our CHA back on track after taking a 4 month hiatus from it.

Every person's experience will be different, but there's generally some leeway for you to create the experience you're looking for like I did with getting to work in emergency response. If you get assigned to a program area or a project that you aren't excited about I wouldn't let that discourage you from accepting the position. Put in the work on that project and then talk with both your host site supervisor and your CDC supervisor about how you can create opportunities for what your really want to do in addition to your main project assignments. Maybe that looks like getting permission to block out a few hours a week to take trainings you're interested in or to shadow something another department is working on at your host site. The best part of this program being designed to be a training program for people new to the world of working in public health is that there's flexibility to make sure the host site work gets done while still having the ability to learn about or experience other things you have an interest in and that may help you meet those program benchmarks I talked about earlier.

This was incredibly long and I feel like maybe I'm rambling a bit, but feel free to message me or respond to this with questions and I'll do my best to answer them :)
Hi! Thank you for providing information on your experience with the program. It was extremely helpful and you answered alot of questions that I had.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone, I spoke to someone at CDC (PHAP center). She first told me that they’re selecting the first half the ending of this week and they’re behind on matching, so we should find out next week. She also stated that the soonest we’ll hear is ending of June. (The person on the phone asked for my name too which was kind of nerve wrecking lol)
- It sounds very confusing because it seems like the person I spoke to was not too sure about the timeline. Does anyone have any accurate info/updates??

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I spoke to someone at CDC (PHAP center). She first told me that they’re behind matching so we would find out next week. Then she said they’re selecting the first half the ending of this week. She also stated that the soonest we’ll hear is ending of June. (She also asked for my name too which was kind of nerve wrecking lol)

Hi! Thank you for this! But I’m a little confused. Are you saying we’ll find out next week or the end of June?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for this! But I’m a little confused. Are you saying we’ll find out next week or the end of June?

I’m not even sure, that’s what she told me. It was very confusing.

As above, check your emails.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got accepted! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. I will be in Columbia, SC!

Edit: South Carolina was in my top five for geographic area. I got placed in Immunizations/Vaccine Preventable Disease Investigation. This wasn't within my top five areas, but I am excited to be working on this assignment. Congrats to all who have heard back so far. And good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
I just got accepted as well!! I will be in Phoenix, AZ!! congrats to everyone.

Reactions: 14 users
I just got accepted as well! Congrats to everyone for completing the process! It’s asking whether you’d accept if offered. Does that mean it may change?

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats everyone! For those who were accepted, did your status or anything change on FMS/USAJOBs?

I just got accepted as well!! I will be in Phoenix, AZ!! congrats to everyone.

Congrats !!! I also just got accepted into Phoenix. Let’s link! :)

Hi everyone!

Congrats to everyone who got matched! I got matched in Washington D.C. I am so excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
First time posting!
Just got an offer for Phoenix, AZ!

Reactions: 15 users
I just got matched in Dededo, Guam!! Congrats to everyone who's heard back!

I got matched in Los Angeles, CA for Tuberculosis Prevention! If anyone else has a match in LA feel free to message me! :) And congrats to everyone!

Reactions: 14 users
Congrats everyone! Just got matched in Richmond, VA!! <3

Hi everyone! I got placed in Baltimore, MD and I will be working with HIV/AIDS prevention. If anyone has been placed or is familiar with the area PM me!

Reactions: 11 users
Hello! Another long time lurker here. I was placed in Winnebago, NE working with the tribal population on health department accreditation/improvement! The website indicates there is a current PHAP there who I would love to get in contact with! Congratulations to everyone who has heard - the wait is finally over!!

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations to everyone that has received a placement! What an exciting opportunity to look forward to! The wait is over! Best wishes to you all!

Hi!

After accepting the match my portal status says completed.

As for USAjobs, mine still says “Not referred” since the first eligibility email where they reached out saying it was an error. But I guess in time HR would fix this!

Congrats everyone! For those who were accepted, did your status or anything change on FMS/USAJOBs?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

After accepting the match my portal status says completed.

As for USAjobs, mine still says “Not referred” since the first eligibility email where they reached out saying it was an error. But I guess in time HR would fix this!
Okay, thank you! This might sound weird and random but does the year 2020 appear twice near your name? Mine changed to that, I’m not sure if it means anything.

Reactions: 2 users
I just checked and mine doesn’t! I’m not sure what that would mean either.

Okay, thank you! This might sound weird and random but does the year 2020 appear twice near your name? Mine changed to that, I’m not sure if it means anything.

The year appears twice under my name as well. I have not received a match.

Congratulations everyone that received your locations!!! The stress of not knowing is finally over for you.. however, I’m not so lucky. I still haven’t received Anything. I guess I’ll continue to pull my hair out, lol.

For those who have received a location, did you get placed in an area in your top 5?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been placed in Nashville this rotation or previously? Id love to talk

Congratulations everyone that received your locations!!! The stress of not knowing is finally over for you.. however, I’m not so lucky. I still haven’t received Anything. I guess I’ll continue to pull my hair out, lol.

For those who have received a location, did you get placed in an area in your top 5?
Good question! I’d like to know if everyone got placed within their top five preference as well. Hopefully, someone will answer this for us.

Congratulations again for those who have received placement

Good question! I’d like to know if everyone got placed within their top five preference as well. Hopefully, someone will answer this for us.

Hi yes, I got my number one choice. Nashville. But I’m from DC.

Congrats everyone! I matched to New Orleans working in HIV/AIDS prevention. If anyone else gets NOLA hit me up!

Reactions: 4 users

I got placed in Richmond, Virginia and it was my 3rd choice

Hey everyone! I got my 2nd pick which was PA! I'll be in Harrisburg working on immunizations and vaccine-preventable diseases! I live in the Philly area of PA so feel free to connect with me if you want to know more about Philly or PA in general. :] Congrats, everyone!

Just got accepted, Charleston WV. Anyone have any tips about the state? I only live 3-4 hours away and I’ve passed by a couple of times

Hi,
I got accepted to my first choice which is Washington D.C.

I was placed in my 1st choice CA! So far it seems like everyone has got in their top 5 which is awesome :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, going to Cheyenne,Wy my first choice. Not to far from where Iive now, Denver, Co. Anyone coming to Denver let me know if you need information.

Hi,
I got accepted to my first choice which is Washington D.C.
I've been living in DC for the past 4 years for college and plan to visit my friends there super often because Richmond is close enough to drive. DC and VA people should link up at some point!

Looks like I’m the first so far, but I was not placed within my top 5. But still grateful for the match in Phoenix and being placed in an urban area as I did request! :)

For those who didn’t receive their matches yet I’m sure you’ll hear soon! There was talk about the matches being split into two groups. Best wishes and good luck! Congrats to all getting placed.

My first pick was Ohio where I live and I’m moving just two hours away from home.

Hello All! Congratulations on your match! I was assigned to Topeka, Kansas. It was not on my list, but at least I was able to match in STD’s, which was my second choice. If anyone else matched in Kansas, let me know! Currently, there is no PHAP assigned to Kansas. Best of luck!

I've been living in DC for the past 4 years for college and plan to visit my friends there super often because Richmond is close enough to drive. DC and VA people should link up at some point!
Wow thats awesome! I've been living in Maryland for years. DC, MD, and VA should definitely link up!

Just got accepted, Charleston WV. Anyone have any tips about the state? I only live 3-4 hours away and I’ve passed by a couple of times
I've never been to Charleston, but WV is one of the most beautiful states I've ever visited-- especially if you are into hiking!

Hi everyone! I got placed in Union Gap, WA which was my third choice

Looks like I’m the first so far, but I was not placed within my top 5. But still grateful for the match in Phoenix and being placed in an urban area as I did request! :)

For those who didn’t receive their matches yet I’m sure you’ll hear soon! There was talk about the matches being split into two groups. Best wishes and good luck! Congrats to all getting placed.

Same with me! I'm excited to see was Phoenix has to offer.

Hi everyone! I got placed in Denver, CO which was my first choice so if anyone else matched here feel free to reach out to me! I'll be working on Chronic Disease: Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity (not in my top 5, but excited to work on it!)

Last edited:
Hi! I recently received a match but it didn't necessarily match my preferences due to some family constraints. Does anyone (like past PHAP) know what would happen if I declined the match?

Hi! I recently received a match but it didn't necessarily match my preferences due to some family constraints. Does anyone (like past PHAP) know what would happen if I declined the match?
The match will most likely go to someone they have as a back up.