2021-2022 East Carolina (Brody)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students speak to atmosphere of Brody? Do you find it cutthroat with your cohort since the grading scale isn't pass/fail? How is Greenville?
didn't I already answer your first two questions on the previous page lol

as for Greenville, it's small. I spent most of my life in the Triangle and lived in a bigger city for undergrad, so it was an adjustment for me. I don't really feel like I can give a full opinion of it because the pandemic has sharply decreased my willingness to go out and do public activities on a whim (as well as how many activities have been available to do since I started in August 2020), but I'd say that, while there's not nothing to do here, Greenville is at heart a college town, so you can expect a lot of things to be catered to undergrads. a pretty typical Friday evening activity for my friends and I, if we felt up to it, would be going to one of the local breweries, of which there are a handful, or to Sup Dogs, if we wanted tater tot nachos and cheap cocktails that punch above their weight. for outdoor activities, there are some good walking/biking trails around, like River Park North and the Greenway, but the Tar River itself has iffy water quality and there aren't any big lakes around, so if you're really into water sports you might be disappointed.

I'd say that, from my position as a med student during a pandemic who, as a result, doesn't go out much anyway, some pros are that you can get pretty much anywhere in town within 15 minutes, the rent is cheap (though, like everywhere, it's been going up), there's a local airport that American does fly out of (and you can get connections through Charlotte to most places), and if you want to get involved in community stuff, you've got a little less competition with it being a smaller city so it's easier to get your foot in the door (local art and music stuff, volunteering, etc). some cons are that the downtown and nightlife are definitely not going to be what you're used to if you're coming from somewhere larger, and - personally - I wish there was a little more diversity of cuisine, in terms of both restaurants and grocery shopping (don't get me wrong, there's a halfway decent variety of places to eat here, but I would kill for, like, an H Mart).

at the end of the day, I'm fine with being here for med school, but I'd rather not stay forever. we have a lot of attendings that came here and never left, though, so clearly some people like it a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
didn't I already answer your first two questions on the previous page lol

as for Greenville, it's small. I spent most of my life in the Triangle and lived in a bigger city for undergrad, so it was an adjustment for me. I don't really feel like I can give a full opinion of it because the pandemic has sharply decreased my willingness to go out and do public activities on a whim (as well as how many activities have been available to do since I started in August 2020), but I'd say that, while there's not nothing to do here, Greenville is at heart a college town, so you can expect a lot of things to be catered to undergrads. a pretty typical Friday evening activity for my friends and I, if we felt up to it, would be going to one of the local breweries, of which there are a handful, or to Sup Dogs, if we wanted tater tot nachos and cheap cocktails that punch above their weight. for outdoor activities, there are some good walking/biking trails around, like River Park North and the Greenway, but the Tar River itself has iffy water quality and there aren't any big lakes around, so if you're really into water sports you might be disappointed.

I'd say that, from my position as a med student during a pandemic who, as a result, doesn't go out much anyway, some pros are that you can get pretty much anywhere in town within 15 minutes, the rent is cheap (though, like everywhere, it's been going up), there's a local airport that American does fly out of (and you can get connections through Charlotte to most places), and if you want to get involved in community stuff, you've got a little less competition with it being a smaller city so it's easier to get your foot in the door (local art and music stuff, volunteering, etc). some cons are that the downtown and nightlife are definitely not going to be what you're used to if you're coming from somewhere larger, and - personally - I wish there was a little more diversity of cuisine, in terms of both restaurants and grocery shopping (don't get me wrong, there's a halfway decent variety of places to eat here, but I would kill for, like, an H Mart).

at the end of the day, I'm fine with being here for med school, but I'd rather not stay forever. we have a lot of attendings that came here and never left, though, so clearly some people like it a lot.
You 100 percent did. LOL. Sorry everyone for doubling up questions. Long process is playing games with me. Thanks for your insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cannot believe that after two cycles today was my day. Dean Bright called me earlier this afternoon and I simply could not be more excited! Go pirates!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Cannot believe that after two cycles today was my day. Dean Bright called me earlier this afternoon and I simply could not be more excited! Go pirates!
That must have been a heart wrenching process so cheers to you for sticking with it. That pumps me up for you, I hope you’re taking the time to celebrate your accomplishment!

*Update*
As of February 23, 2022 we have:
  • Received 1156 verified AMCAS applications by the November 1, 2021 deadline.
  • Interviewed 402 candidates. Interviews are complete for the 2021-2022 cycle.
  • Offered 90 applicants a seat in the Class of 2026. Please note, it takes 120-130 offers each cycle to fill 86 seats.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Are all offers for acceptances given through phone only or are they given over email too? Got an email about an offer but no call. Is this legit??

*sigh* Feeling a little discouraged as a reapplicant who was waitlisted last cycle, but it is what it is

:( anyone know when the waitlist comes out?

Anyone send an update letter after interviewing and get an acceptance? Wondering if it’s worth sending an update on a new clinical position that I started after submitting apps

Anyone send an update letter after interviewing and get an acceptance? Wondering if it’s worth sending an update on a new clinical position that I started after submitting apps
I emailed them before and they said they do not accept updates at this point. They want to be fair to all applicants.

Anyone hear anything from brody recently? Interviewed back in October and starting to lose hope :/

Anyone hear anything from brody recently? Interviewed back in October and starting to lose hope :/
I think we have to wait to hear about if we're on the waitlist in the next couple months :/

So you think no more As are going out until the WL is released?
My impression is that they send As/some Rs after every interview, and the rest might get put on the waitlist or Rs at the end. I can’t remember exactly where I read that anymore so it may not be 100% - just what i remember.

Anyone know if they've sent brody scholars interview invites out?

I emailed them before and they said they do not accept updates at this point. They want to be fair to all applicants.
Saboteur? I emailed inquiring in February and they said they accept updates via email.

Reactions: 4 users
The doc I work for said first rule of medicine. Expect sabotage. Didn’t believe him till now.

Reactions: 2 users
Have they sent any invites out to interview for brody scholars?

*crickets* has anyone heard back recently?

Admissions Update for the Entering Class of 2022:
As of March 15, 2022 we have:

Received 1156 verified AMCAS applications by the November 1, 2021 deadline.

Interviewed 402 candidates. Interviews are complete for the 2021-2022 cycle.

Offered 100 applicants a seat in the Class of 2026. Please note, it takes 120-130 offers each cycle to fill 86 seats.

A waitlist has not been formed at this time. This is a work in progress with updates to be sent to all by the end of March.

We ask applicants not to send update documents/letters of intent/transcripts. The committee has completed review of all applications and will not return to review again each time new information is received.

Reactions: 3 users