2021-2022 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For reapplicants, I see we get this mini prompt: Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and (if not indicated in 1b above) explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)
If we applied last year, would the entering first-year class year be 2021?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted application but still says incomplete on the status page? Anyone else having this problem?
Their email after submission says "This message is NOT meant to indicate that your application to the College of Medicine is complete. You will receive another email, several weeks from today, informing you that your application is complete and is being submitted to the Admissions Committee for review."

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! does anybody know if the accelerated pathways are for like the tip top students (high stats), I am really interested in one, but definitely not super high stat applciant so wondering if its even worth putting my interest down.
The front page says that interest does not guarantee you will get the program and all applicants will default to 4-year MD. Application for accelerated pathways will follow later. Internal med showed they only accept 2 per year, so I’m assuming it’s pretty competitive.

Submitted application but still says incomplete on the status page? Anyone else having this problem?
Yea, all green check marks but it says Incomplete. It might just take a day or two for the status to refresh itself!

hey! does anybody know if the accelerated pathways are for like the tip top students (high stats), I am really interested in one, but definitely not super high stat applciant so wondering if its even worth putting my interest down.
Not sure about the stats because I think most of these pathways are fairly new...but you are just indicating an interest at this point. If you select one, it won't bear any weight on whether or not you get accepted to Penn State.

Reactions: 1 users
For reapplicants, I see we get this mini prompt: Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and (if not indicated in 1b above) explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)
If we applied last year, would the entering first-year class year be 2021?
that sounds correct to me!

Just submitted my secondary. The confirmation email says it could take several weeks for the application to be marked as complete and be forwarded to the committee.

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted 7/21 within 2 hours of receiving the secondary (Pre wrote it). Received a "Completed" email 2 minutes later that said it's been passed to the admissions committee for consideration for an interview. Fingers crossed!

So submitting without a non science letter (I have individual letters) is probably a no go right? I swear I checked this before submitting primary but I guess I missed it

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 7/21 within 2 hours of receiving the secondary (Pre wrote it). Received a "Completed" email 2 minutes later that said it's been passed to the admissions committee for consideration for an interview. Fingers crossed!
Does your portal say complete? I’ve sent Casper and everything else is checked, but application complete still has an x

Does your portal say complete? I’ve sent Casper and everything else is checked, but application complete still has an x
Straight from the confirmation e-mail:

...Your application has been confirmed as received. Thank you for applying to Penn State College of Medicine. This message is NOT meant to indicate that your application to the College of Medicine is complete. You will receive another email, several weeks from today, informing you that your application is complete and is being submitted to the Admissions Committee for review.

This is the email I got saying my application was complete:

"Your application to the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine is complete and it has been passed along to the Admissions Committee for consideration of a possible interview invitation. Please understand that the Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications in the random and rolling order they were received.

Accordingly, the time necessary to process our many applications means that your application will not be reviewed immediately. The Admissions Committee will contact you as soon as your application review is completed. We therefore request that you refrain from calling our office for your application status. This will enable us to process your application in the timeliest manner possible."

Secondary Received 7/21, Submitted right away.

Did everyone get the make sure to send the casper scores? Just making sure because my application still has not been marked as complete.

Did everyone get the make sure to send the casper scores? Just making sure because my application still has not been marked as complete.
Got the same email and same incomplete status in portal, which is slightly confusing since I'm long done with CASPer. Not sure if that was a general PSA or to sent to those that did not have CASPer scores on file.

Had my scores since June. As soon as I submitted my secondary on the first day, my app was marked complete including Casper scores. Hope that helps.

Had my scores since June. As soon as I submitted my secondary on the first day, my app was marked complete including Casper scores. Hope that helps.
Is there a line for Casper scores received in your application status? I’m missing that line altogether

Update: Received email saying that application is now marked complete! Submitted 07/21, and previously had all green checks under app status but no complete message. There is no line for CASPer scores under my app status.

Reactions: 2 users
Update: Received email saying that application is now marked complete! Submitted 07/21, and previously had all green checks under app status but no complete message. There is no line for CASPer scores under my app status.
+1

+2

Put your interest down for ONE pathway. I am applying to one of them because I seriously don't want anything else.

Stat-wise: I talked to one of the students in an accelerated path and let's just say ... I love his story about how he came to be in medicine/his chosen field for acceleration a whole lot more. He's smart, but I had the pleasure of listening to him explain how he became a student at Penn State, and his acceptance into the accelerated path was definitely not hindered on his 4.0/528 (which he didn't have, also I won't disclose his scores, but just know they were good enough to get into Penn State, which is all you need)

• Love
Anyone know how they take the Casper exam into consideration when reviewing applications? Like is there a certain percentile cutoff you need to hit or anything like that?
Would like to know this too, did not do too hot on the Casper lol rip

Reapplicants: how did you answer this prompt twice since they ask for it in both 1 and 2? Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)

Reapplicants: how did you answer this prompt twice since they ask for it in both 1 and 2? Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)
It says in the 2a prompt: "Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and (if not indicated in 1b above) explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 75 words)" so that means you only have to put in your explanation once. I put mine in the first box since my primary was sent to Penn State (even though I withdrew it lol) and confirmed that with an admin counselor. If you haven't applied to Penn State before but elsewhere, you'd put your response in the second box.

Does anyone know if they have a recency requirement for prerequisites? I reached out but haven't heard anything back.
I messaged them a month ago as well and followed up a couple times. Didn't hear back, so not sure how to proceed

Submitted secondary 7/21; complete 7/31; OOS but an alum

I submitted my secondary weeks ago but didn't realize that I forgot to send them my CASPER score until today! Hopefully this doesn't impact me too negatively :(

I submitted my secondary weeks ago but didn't realize that I forgot to send them my CASPER score until today! Hopefully this doesn't impact me too negatively :(
Is there something extra you need to do to send them your score?

Is there something extra you need to do to send them your score?
You have to go into Altus Suite and make sure that you have selected them as a school to receive your score, as well as pay a $12 fee.

What are your thoughts on the university park program? Are you guys applying to it? I was kinda (lightly) considering it but it pains me to have to write another essay for it :/

I like the University Park program curriculum. it ACTUALLY seems innovative. Definitely unique. Plus if you're offered an A to University Park, but ultimately change your mind you still can attend PSU at Hershey campus according to their website. @mizzfoshiz

I have that too! I think it's because my Casper score isn't in yet? Should be in this week. Everything else has a check mark by it.

II: complete 7/31 IS and alum!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
When should OOS applicants expect to possibly hear anything?

Reactions: 3 users