2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahaha I’m referring to the email itself not the letter. The letter was definitely very positive sounding!
All my email said was that my decision was ready lol

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to those who have been accepted. Currently waitlisted after an interview of 11/1, but had some medical complications to dispute. Hoping to hear back from them soon.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that your board score is kind of like an overall score that the admissions committee members give you. It accounts for your stats, ECs, character, interview, essays, etc. The higher the score, the more competitive you are (and the higher up you are on the WL/queue).

Or maybe that's for a different school.
I'm guessing they won't tell you your board score, but has anyone been able to figure out what their score is?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing they won't tell you your board score, but has anyone been able to figure out what their score is?
I don't think they tell you. As I'm aware, nobody has commented with their score on any previous USU threads.

But I can't help but be curious 🤔

I don't think they tell you. As I'm aware, nobody has commented with their score on any previous USU threads.

But I can't help but be curious 🤔
Oh I hear you. I think everyone on the waitlist or still waiting to hear is going a little stir-crazy right now. May 1 can't come any faster.

Reactions: 1 user

But I can't help but be curious

They say on their website that they rank the waitlist but that they won’t tell you your waitlist ranking so I doubt anyone has any idea:/

They say on their website that they rank the waitlist but that they won’t tell you your waitlist ranking so I doubt anyone has any idea:/
As I understand it, they tell you what category you're in (accepted, waitlist, alternate, etc.) but not where you stand (ranking). They will tell you if you're still curious after you get in/matriculate, as well as your interviewers' comments, but apparently nobody's very interested in that sort of thing by the time class starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if being medically cleared early helps gain admission as opposed to wait listing. Reason I ask is I see a trend in people that are medically cleared earning acceptances. Secondly, I was wondering if age is a factor that is strongly considered when choosing applicants. I am actually, still a senior in college but I have heard that those who attend USUHS tend to the slightly older crowd and I wasn't sure if this was something that was considered. I am also south asian and I know that med schools tend to assess stats of asian students at a higher level (higher mcat and gpa are needed). I do have lower scores from that perspective (3.7 gpa and 510 mcat) but I did still receive an interview. Obviously, I am hoping for a waitlist or acceptance but I am wondering if my expectations do not meet reality since my scores and profile seem a little off. For those accepted, I would appreciate some input on the situation

Does anyone know if being medically cleared early helps gain admission as opposed to wait listing. Reason I ask is I see a trend in people that are medically cleared earning acceptances. Secondly, I was wondering if age is a factor that is strongly considered when choosing applicants. I am actually, still a senior in college but I have heard that those who attend USUHS tend to the slightly older crowd and I wasn't sure if this was something that was considered. I am also south asian and I know that med schools tend to assess stats of asian students at a higher level (higher mcat and gpa are needed). I do have lower scores from that perspective (3.7 gpa and 510 mcat) but I did still receive an interview. Obviously, I am hoping for a waitlist or acceptance but I am wondering if my expectations do not meet reality since my scores and profile seem a little off. For those accepted, I would appreciate some input on the situation
3.52 GPA and 506 MCAT I interviewed week of 11/15 got accepted 3/8. I was medically cleared right off the bat, no prior service(ROTC or enlisted), and I am a senior in college. My rankings were AF>Navy>Army, I heard rankings matter because every year it depends on how many each branch alots for that year. PM me if you want to know anymore of my stats, hope that helps!

Being medically cleared early doesn't directly influence your strength as an applicant so it doesn't directly help you gain admission. You can still obtain an acceptance without medical clearance ("conditional acceptance"). Once you get cleared, it will become an unconditional acceptance. With that being said, delays caused by waivers can decrease your chance of obtaining an acceptance. I don't know the exact details but in the previous cycle, CAPT Liotta told me something along the lines of "had it not been for your medical waiver taking so long to go through, you would have received an acceptance earlier".

Similarly, age is likely an indirect consequence of what USU values in its applicants. Older individuals tend to have more life/leadership experience, time to obtain service, matured character, etc. USU strongly values things like character, leadership, reason for military medicine, GPA, and commitment to service. The ranking of the branches matters because certain branches are more competitive than others (this varies on a yearly basis). Generally, the Navy is the most competitive and the Army is the least. However, there were years when AF or Army were the most competitive.

Being medically cleared early doesn't directly influence your strength as an applicant so it doesn't directly help you gain admission. You can still obtain an acceptance without medical clearance ("conditional acceptance"). Once you get cleared, it will become an unconditional acceptance. With that being said, delays caused by waivers can decrease your chance of obtaining an acceptance. I don't know the exact details but in the previous cycle, CAPT Liotta told me something along the lines of "had it not been for your medical waiver taking so long to go through, you would have received an acceptance earlier".

Similarly, age is likely an indirect consequence of what USU values in its applicants. Older individuals tend to have more life/leadership experience, time to obtain service, matured character, etc. USU strongly values things like character, leadership, reason for military medicine, GPA, and commitment to service. The ranking of the branches matters because certain branches are more competitive than others (this varies on a yearly basis). Generally, the Navy is the most competitive and the Army is the least. However, there were years when AF or Army were the most competitive.
So I shouldn’t read too much into the fact that they cleared me with multiple DQ codes late into the cycle? Personally, I don’t see why they would waste the time and effort, but again I’m probably reading too much into it.

Edit: sitting on WL currently.

So I shouldn’t read too much into the fact that they cleared me with multiple DQ codes late into the cycle? Personally, I don’t see why they would waste the time and effort, but again I’m probably reading too much into it.

Edit: sitting on WL currently.
You're good to go if you have waivers for them. I had like 3 DQ codes but it didn't seem to matter. Physically fit to serve is one thing. Being a good fit for their medical school is another. I think.

South Asian here as well, I was just conditionally accepted last week. Based off my interviews, the school cares much more about fit than statistics. If you got an interview, you were deemed competitive by gpa and MCAT. You’re at the historic average for the school so you have a good shot! PM me if you wanna discuss further!

Members don't see this ad :)

I got my DODMERB clearance in January, so I also agree that early clearance doesn’t equal earlier acceptance.

When I got called, Capt Liotta told me that at this point in the cycle, they were giving acceptances with the understanding that individuals will get the unconditional acceptance.

So based on my anecdotal experience, if you get called, they’re pretty sure you’ll be granted an unconditional acceptance at this point.

I got my DODMERB clearance in January, so I also agree that early clearance doesn’t equal earlier acceptance.

When I got called, Capt Liotta told me that at this point in the cycle, they were giving acceptances with the understanding that individuals will get the unconditional acceptance.

So based on my anecdotal experience, if you get called, they’re pretty sure you’ll be granted an unconditional acceptance at this point.
So basically at this point of the year being cleared can be advantageous? That's a good thing for me since one of my biggest strengths is having like no medical history lmao. I was cleared in early February I believe and interviewed week of 1/17

So basically at this point of the year being cleared can be advantageous? That's a good thing for me since one of my biggest strengths is having like no medical history lmao. I was cleared in early February I believe and interviewed week of 1/17
The way I see it, you don’t have to worry about waivers and such so it will streamline the process to a unconditional acceptance. That’s an obvious strength but only after USU grants you a waitlist or acceptance. Given you interviewed in January, you are still within the waiting period to hear anything back. For reference, I didn’t hear anything for about 13 weeks from my interview date and was accepted on week 14.

It’s a long wait, much longer than the other programs I heard from but it makes sense imo because they are making a huge investment in each student.

For those waitlisted before being accepted or if you’re still on the WL, how long between being WL and getting the A did you wait? Or how long have you been waiting if you haven’t received an A yet?

For those waitlisted before being accepted or if you’re still on the WL, how long between being WL and getting the A did you wait? Or how long have you been waiting if you haven’t received an A yet?
Last cycle, I waited just over 4 months for an A (WL mid-March, A in lateish July). This cycle, it's been just over 3 months and I'm still waiting.

Last edited:
Last cycle, I waited about 4 months for an A. This cycle, it's been just over 3 months and I'm still waiting.
If you don't mind me asking, if you got accepted last year why are you re applying this year?

If you don't mind me asking, if you got accepted last year why are you re applying this year?
It was my third choice branch (Army) and CAPT Liotta praised my application so I thought, "Ok so I have a good shot and plenty of room to improve. Why not give it to someone who wants an Army spot as much as I want a Navy spot and try again next cycle?"

Plus, I had some urgent personal things that I needed to take care of and I wasn't prepared to move in 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
It was my third choice branch (Army) and CAPT Liotta praised my application so I thought, "Ok so I have a good shot and plenty of room to improve. Why not give it to someone who wants an Army spot as much as I want a Navy spot and try again next cycle?"

Plus, I had some urgent personal things that I needed to take care of and I wasn't prepared to move in 1-2 weeks.
With that kind of altruism, I hope I get to meet you this fall. Hope you get Navy soon!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 7.56.17 PM.png

This was in a document sent out with interview information. According to #3, at this point in the cycle it IS important to be medically cleared

Anyone have an idea of the timeline for security clearance? Been accepted conditionally and just got a medical waiver cleared so that's all I'm anxiously waiting on.

Anyone have an idea of the timeline for security clearance? Been accepted conditionally and just got a medical waiver cleared so that's all I'm anxiously waiting on.
For security clearance, no news is good news. You aren't notified if you're cleared.

For security clearance, no news is good news. You aren't notified if you're cleared.
Oh nice! Do you know then if I will receive official communication of conditional -> unconditional acceptance? Or is it just assumed? I want to get excited about this but after the whole waiver process I'm waiting to celebrate until I have "unconditional acceptance" in writing haha

Oh nice! Do you know then if I will receive official communication of conditional -> unconditional acceptance? Or is it just assumed? I want to get excited about this but after the whole waiver process I'm waiting to celebrate until I have "unconditional acceptance" in writing haha
I'd reach out to your admissions counselor on this one. It sounds like an unconditional acceptance to me as long as your security clearance went through, so congrats! Keep us posted!

I'm not 100% sure but this point, it's still possible to receive a conditional acceptance if you haven't been medically cleared. Otherwise, it sounds like a pure unconditional.

I too am waiting on an unconditional acceptance. I reached out to admissions and turns out there are like two security checks that happen. One is done by USU as a preliminary review and the official one is done by the Office of Personal Management. I’d assume, like me, you are waiting on the second one.

I too am waiting on an unconditional acceptance. I reached out to admissions and turns out there are like two security checks that happen. One is done by USU as a preliminary review and the official one is done by the Office of Personal Management. I’d assume, like me, you are waiting on the second one.
Oof, best of luck!
I've never worked security investigations but from what I've observed, they tend to take 4-6 months. Secret clearance doesn't seem terribly difficult to get, I've come across some pretty sketchy people with checkered pasts that still got cleared, and there have been civilian employees featured in the Army Times as being literal spies with secret and top secret clearance. I think as long as there's nothing glaring like DUIs, a history of financial problems, a list of felonies, an unexplained source of lavish income, or any disparity in your SF86, there's little to worry about.
Take this with a grain of salt as again, I've only ever been on the receiving side.

I am in the same boat

Just got the unconditional acceptance! So I’m assuming security clearances are going through, that or they played an epic April fools joke on me lol

Reactions: 7 users
Just got the unconditional acceptance! So I’m assuming security clearances are going through, that or they played an epic April fools joke on me lol
That would be the nicest April fools joke ever. Congratulation. 😊

Quick question about the physical exam - I’m not applying currently but plan to this upcoming cycle. If I suffer from migraines, would I be automatically disqualified? If I take a daily med and I manage just fine that way, would that be a DQ? I might soon also switch to a once monthly medication.

One more question just for the sake of knowing - If I stopped taking medication altogether and was managing fine, would that change things? I’ve seen the NP at a neurology clinic before, but I don’t know if she gave me an official diagnosis, and I haven’t seen my PCP about it either.

Edit: my daily med is not a “migraine med,” but rather a beta blocker that happens to help with preventing migraines. Just for clarification!

Edit 2: what if I did not take preventative medication but do have a prescription on hand to take if I DO have a migraine?

Last edited:
Quick question about the physical exam - I’m not applying currently but plan to this upcoming cycle. If I suffer from migraines, would I be automatically disqualified? If I take a daily med and I manage just fine that way, would that be a DQ? I might soon also switch to a once monthly medication.

One more question just for the sake of knowing - If I stopped taking medication altogether and was managing fine, would that change things? I’ve seen the NP at a neurology clinic before, but I don’t know if she gave me an official diagnosis, and I haven’t seen my PCP about it either.

Edit: my daily med is not a “migraine med,” but rather a beta blocker that happens to help with preventing migraines. Just for clarification!

Edit 2: what if I did not take preventative medication but do have a prescription on hand to take if I DO have a migraine?
Unfortunately, no one here is likely to be able to help answer this with authority. You could try searching/posting it on reddit and maybe someone who has had experience in the medical qualification field could chime in. Overall, there's an instruction that specifically outlines what is medically disqualifying. I believe that waivers are issued based on demonstrated stability and an overall risk assessment for your long term health and ability to meet mission requirements (i.e. if can you effectively deploy to austere conditions without medical hardship). Again, this is just my opinion and I'd recommend asking in a different forum for better info.

As syphen mentioned, none of us here are probably able to answer this with authority. I scanned through the DoDMERB website/list of DQ codes and found D211.40.

211.40​
History of headaches disrupting normal activities or requiring prescription medications more than twice per year in the past 2 years​
History of headaches disrupting normal activities or requiring prescription medications more than twice per year in the past 2 years, or are associated with neurological deficit other than scotoma​

Here's my best guess but I encourage others to correct me or add on: What will likely happen is that you get a remedial at first, asking for medical records. You could apply for a waiver, but from what you've written, it sounds like a medical DQ.

Don't lie about your medical history. It's not worth the risk and your health is far more important than any job. I know that it might suck to hear but it's better than getting booted or UCMJ'd halfway through med school or residency.

For those who were accepted (esp. Navy and AF), have you recieved notice of your officer training dates yet? I feel like at this point, new acceptees would be placed in the later dates for Navy ODS (12 Jun - 15 Jul 2022) or AF OTS (21 Jun - 22 Jul 2022) but I would hate to assume.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi for anyone that got a conditional acceptance in March or late February have you heard back yet about your acceptance becoming unconditionally accepted? Also has anyone been accepted to the accepted students FB group I requested it a couple of weeks ago and still have not been accepted to it. I tried messaging one of the admin but have not gotten a reply back.

Hi for anyone that got a conditional acceptance in March or late February have you heard back yet about your acceptance becoming unconditionally accepted? Also has anyone been accepted to the accepted students FB group I requested it a couple of weeks ago and still have not been accepted to it. I tried messaging one of the admin but have not gotten a reply back.
Hey pal,
So I only got access to the FB chat after getting the unconditional acceptance letter.

Hopefully you hear some good news soon!

Not that I’m counting or anything, but we’re at 1 waitlister announcing they got the call to a conditional acceptance right?

Not that I’m counting or anything, but we’re at 1 waitlister announcing they got the call to a conditional acceptance right?
So far yes, that’s what it looks like. & that user now has the unconditional acceptance. Things happened fast.

I have a working theory that some people were waitlisted to administer some type of decision while we wait (because the wait has been so long), when in all actuality a lot of the waitlisters have been accepted but they are behind in all the paperwork so the waitlist decision was “easy”placeholder type of thing. I know it’s not the case with everyone but it seems that way. Especially since the FB group only has about 80 users (assuming there are about +/-15 people accepted not in the group) still doesn’t add up to 173 spots for me.

• Hmm
So far yes, that’s what it looks like. & that user now has the unconditional acceptance. Things happened fast.

I have a working theory that some people were waitlisted to administer some type of decision while we wait (because the wait has been so long), when in all actuality a lot of the waitlisters have been accepted but they are behind in all the paperwork so the waitlist decision was “easy”placeholder type of thing. I know it’s not the case with everyone but it seems that way. Especially since the FB group only has about 80 users (assuming there are about +/-15 people accepted not in the group) still doesn’t add up to 173 spots for me.
I was thinking something similar.

I still haven’t heard back my decision since the interview. At this point, I wonder if I even have a chance to get off waitlist if I was even being placed on one ..

I still haven’t heard back my decision since the interview. At this point, I wonder if I even have a chance to get off waitlist if I was even being placed on one ..
When did you have your interview?

Considering the number of people on this thread that have reported a WL and only one (to my knowledge) that has reported getting off the WL, I think it's safe to assume that not much movement has occurred yet. Who knows, you could get an outright acceptance and not even spend time on the WL. Stay positive!

Also the waitlist isn’t ordered chronologically. They rank everyone based on competitiveness so you could very well be higher on the WL than someone that interviewed before you

Considering the number of people on this thread that have reported a WL and only one (to my knowledge) that has reported getting off the WL, I think it's safe to assume that not much movement has occurred yet. Who knows, you could get an outright acceptance and not even spend time on the WL. Stay positive!
Looking at previous cycles, my case is definitely an anomaly. Most WL movement happens around end of April, and also as someone previously mentioned the FB group is at 80. Even if there are people not in the group, I doubt they even filled up the class.

Hopefully y’all hear some good news soon!

Same as me! Honestly exactly how I have been feeling so I hear you.
Good luck. I hope we hear back soon. I need to know this decision to make plan for my life. It’s more complicated since I’m already in the military. It sucks to be stuck in the unknown.