2021-2022 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So did any OOR people get a call last week?
Doesn't seem like anyone here did but not everyone is on SDN so maybe some were called, sometimes not every A gets a call either from what I've seen! We'll probably get a decision email tomorrow or within the next few days though so just gotta hang tight

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't seem like anyone here did but not everyone is on SDN so maybe some were called, sometimes not every A gets a call either from what I've seen! We'll probably get a decision email tomorrow or within the next few days though so just gotta hang tight
The Facebook group (for Seattle cohort) only increased by +6 over the weekend so it’s definitely not over

Reactions: 1 user
Not to sound overly neurotic but I feel like what I said a while back might be true where the EXCOM meeting was held after the last batch of interview dates that they added and they accepted a few people the same way they have been doing throughout the cycle to keep it fair and then there will be a final EXCOM meeting to make final decisions for everyone that's been still under consideration.

This is not an official group. An admitted applicant made it. Would hardly read into this group/its numbers for determining if all A's have been sent out or not.

I did not know that - thanks for clarifying!!

This is not an official group. An admitted applicant made it. Would hardly read into this group/its numbers for determining if all A's have been sent out or not.
Can confirm, I created the Seattle E2022 FB group. Am just a rando admitted applicant. ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they accepted 49 people off the ranked alternate list! They have stats for other years on the application portal under admissions decisions :)
Me too! Do we know how many students get accepted off the waitlist on average?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been rejected yet this week? or are we all going to be hit with the Rs after good news is sent? :sick:

Has anyone been rejected yet this week? or are we all going to be hit with the Rs after good news is sent? :sick:
Haven’t seen any Rs yet since the excom meeting. I think last year Rs and WL emails all kind of went out around the same time so we should know soon

Got the R as well.. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the appeal process. I know it barely works post interview and I don’t have any complaints about how they reviewed me but uwsom is my top choice and I just want to take any chances left for me. Can it somehow affect me negatively??

Just got the R as well... looks like I'll be leaving my family to go out of state. Have never felt so horrible in my life

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I feel really fortunate to have made the alternate list, and can’t help but feel curious about how big the list is. Obviously by that statement, it’s clear I’m above the 49 mark that were offered seats last year, lol. Anybody know the list size?

I feel really fortunate to have made the alternate list, and can’t help but feel curious about how big the list is. Obviously by that statement, it’s clear I’m above the 49 mark that were offered seats last year, lol. Anybody know the list size?
I'd expect the size to be about one or two margins of error above the maximum position reached on the alternate list in recent years, perhaps around 60–90 positions. My impressions of UWSOM tell me they're not the type to needlessly hold on to applicants who they except to have almost certainly no chance of being accepted off the alternate list. I know of some schools that, on the other hand, maintain alternate lists with several hundreds of positions.

TRUST applicant, got the acceptance email today! (But oddly, no phone call??)

I wish you all so much luck, I feel so incredibly honored to be joining the cohort at my number one choice.

Last edited:
  • Love
I got the alternate email last night from OOR! super grateful to still be considered, not super excited for more months of waiting.

Post interview rejection email today. Does anyone know if UWSOM provides specific feedback on how to improve for next cycle?

• Care
Got the R as well.. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the appeal process. I know it barely works post interview and I don’t have any complaints about how they reviewed me but uwsom is my top choice and I just want to take any chances left for me. Can it somehow affect me negatively??
Decisions may be appealed if you believe that your "application was not adequately considered OR an error was made during the review." Appeals must be made within one week of rejection after interview. More details are on the Admissions Decision | UW Medicine page.

Post interview rejection email today. Does anyone know if UWSOM provides specific feedback on how to improve for next cycle?
Last year when I got rejected, I emailed [email protected]. They responded that they were not offering feedback for EC 2021 due to COVID, but it wouldn't hurt to try again this year. Here's the exact response I got last year:

Due to unexpected demands created by COVID-19 and limited staffing and resources, we made the difficult decision to pause personalized individual feedback for 2021. We recognize that this may be a disappointment for many applicants. Although we are unable to provide this service this year, we hope to offer this again to our WWAMI re-applicants in 2022.

got the R last night too. Been on SUC since october. heartbroken. good luck to everyone, pleasure being on this journey with ya'll

• Care
In pre-pandemic years they offered individualized post-decision feedback around April/May to applicants who at that point had no acceptances to any medical schools. With the pandemic ongoing after the E-21 cycle, in lieu of individualized feedback they hosted a webinar (linked on the Admissions Resources | UW Medicine page) with generalized feedback.

I got feedback two years ago but as others have said, they didn't do it last year. Message me if you find out you can't get feedback this year. I have some info that might help.

I only had two people interview me instead of three. I understand there are typically three people in case there is a tie. Additionally, the person that saw my grades/MCAT was the same person that represented me to EXCOM. Would this be appropriate grounds for an appeal?
The EXCOM interviewer having access to your complete file (with grades and MCAT scores) is correct. After interviews, each interviewer independently submits an evaluation, then all interviewers discuss together. The EXCOM interviewer writes a report summarizing the discussion which they then report (on behalf of all your interviewers) to the rest of the EXCOM.

For those that got the R's, don't lose hope. I was in the same boat last cycle and was devastated when I got the rejection email. Applied again and got in this cycle. More than happy to offer you all support and advice if you plan on reapplying. DM me anytime.

For those that got the R's, don't lose hope. I was in the same boat last cycle and was devastated when I got the rejection email. Applied again and got in this cycle. More than happy to offer you all support and advice if you plan on reapplying. DM me anytime.
+1 rejected last year, got in this year. Didn’t change my app a whole bunch but completely rewrote everything with the help from someone else on this thread. Please DM if you want any help.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if UWSOM gives us any "free" stuff? Stethoscopes, jackets/merch, ipads, etc? Just trying to figure out what I need to think about buying prior to classes. Spokane cohort if that matters.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if UWSOM gives us any "free" stuff? Stethoscopes, jackets/merch, ipads, etc? Just trying to figure out what I need to think about buying prior to classes. Spokane cohort if that matters.
This is my experience at the Seattle site: You'll get a stethoscope at orientation. The alumni association provides them and they are engraved. They're nice ones (Littman cardio ones), so you don't need to plan on upgrading that for a long time. They'll give you a list of the other items you'll need, but basically you need a simple manual sphygmomamometer (BP cuff), pen light for looking in eyes, and reflex hammer. They initially told us we would need to buy oto/opthalmoscopes in Autumn of year 1, but we heard from previous years' students that you never use them, and they haven't told our class yet to buy them, so that may have changed. You'll get 1 white coat with the school logo on it given at the white coat ceremony. The student government does a merchandise sale a couple of times a year where you can get tshirts, sweatshirts, and nice coats (think Patagonia and northface) with the logo on them, but you have to buy them. I'd get at least 1 set of scrubs you don't care about (aka something cheap) for anatomy lab. Some weeks you go 3-4 days in the same week, so maybe a couple of sets if you prefer them for lab. You'll get an apron thing to wear but still.....i always choose to wear scrubs and impermeable shoes like crocs in anatomy lab.

I think that's about it. Let me know if there's anything else specific you want to know about.

Reactions: 11 users
Can someone list some ways that UW is unique from other medical schools, or reasons why you are considering UW? In other words, why UW?

Can someone list some ways that UW is unique from other medical schools, or reasons why you are considering UW? In other words, why UW?
If you're someone who's been accepted and trying to decide on a school, I'm doing a Zoom happy hour session tomorrow night as part of the "2nd look" day where you might get some info that will help you with that. I obviously haven't attended any other med schools, but I can tell you about the things UW does that are pretty unique and that I personally love. The session is at 6 pm and called something about a day in the life of a UW med student. I'm happy to talk about whatever, but part of my plan is to break it down and tell you what you actually do in each of the classes, how the curriculum is structured on a more day-to-day basis, what your early clinical experiences (fairly unique to UW, I believe) look like and what you get to do with "real" patients during your foundations/didactic phase. The zoom link should be in the 2nd look day schedule sent to students who signed up. If you didn't sign up but want to attend (and were accepted at UW), send me a message and I'll get you the link.

From an accepted In-state:

1. WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho) - UW medical students have access to a variety of settings for clinical training (3rd and 4th yr): from a busy Level I trauma center in Seattle, WA, to a small primary care clinic in Wyoming, to working with Alaska Natives in Anchorage, AK. From speaking to 3rd and 4th yr students... many highlighted this being so valuable.
2. Pacific northwest - If you love the outdoors... you will love Seattle. So many outdoor activities available to you.
3. Diversity of Seattle and the people you will serve: it's a very diverse community and the people you get to serve and work with come from various backgrounds.
4. Research: if your interested in doing research.. UW is one of nations top research schools. So many opportunities available to students.

One Con:
* Seattle Rent is expensive!!!!

A side note: This year for the incoming class - UW is changing it's curriculum a little and starting classes in late July instead of September.. which was when they always started. From what I heard it's suppose to help students.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if there is a schedule with exact dates (white coat ceremony, first day of class, etc.)? I wasn’t able to make it to the information session and I only found a recording explaining the curriculum without specific dates. I might have missed it in one of the recordings, but if someone has info that would be great. Thanks in advance - Spokane Campus.

There is a link under the "foundations phase schedule" heading that has their current working schedule. I don't think they've fully finalized the dates of each block, but the other dates should be there. White coat ceremony is usually on the Friday at the end of immersion weeks.

There is a link under the "foundations phase schedule" heading that has their current working schedule. I don't think they've fully finalized the dates of each block, but the other dates should be there. White coat ceremony is usually on the Friday at the end of immersion weeks.
I’ve also found this schedule that I believe is the finalized version for E-22. https://education.uwmedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Curriculum-Schematic-E22.pdf

So based on the schedule above, our first day of classes is the 21st…? Does anyone have any clue when we might get a definitive start date that we need to be present for? Considering we’re now ~4 months out I’d like to make some plans…

So based on the schedule above, our first day of classes is the 21st…? Does anyone have any clue when we might get a definitive start date that we need to be present for? Considering we’re now ~4 months out I’d like to make some plans…
I emailed them and was told Seattle’s orientation is 7/14-20, is in person, and is required. I’m not sure if it differs by site.

...anyone on the waitlist trying to find the motivation and brain cells to work on a reapplication?

...anyone on the waitlist trying to find the motivation and brain cells to work on a reapplication?
Depends on the waitlist position. Look at stats from previous years on how many people were admitted off the alternate list to gauge your chances.