2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys I’m really stuck on Q5 give an example of personal feedback that was difficult to receive. It’s been days seriously, I’ve been racking my brain. In all my jobs I’ve been an overachiever and consistently highly rated (read: people pleaser). Any ideas? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys I’m really stuck on Q5 give an example of personal feedback that was difficult to receive. It’s been days seriously, I’ve been racking my brain. In all my jobs I’ve been an overachiever and consistently highly rated (read: people pleaser). Any ideas? Any thoughts?
Nobody here can help you reflect on your life…. Have you ever pushed yourself out of your comfort zone? Played a sport? Done something you’re not immediate good at and someone is giving you pointers?

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody here can help you reflect on your life…. Have you ever pushed yourself out of your comfort zone? Played a sport? Done something you’re not immediate good at and someone is giving you pointers?
Very true- I'm sure I was just overthinking it. Thanks for the ideas!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe think about areas outside of work. Relationships with friends, family, partners, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, according to my status, it looks like one of my professors didn't sign a LOR. Would my application be considered incomplete and not reviewed until the letter is updated? Or will they still go over my app?

Is that 30 minutes to midnight? I wasn't sure what the actual deadline was - they just said 8/23. Does that mean 8/23 at 11:59PM PT?? or 8/23 at 12:01 am?
11:59:59 pm I’d assume

I had an II on 8/16! I found it yesterday because it was in my spam... everyone check spam!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently the MMI is through Kira Talent, has anyone heard of this type of interview before? It seems that it will be maybe pre-recorded videos/prompts with no actual interviewer there.

So apparently the MMI is through Kira Talent, has anyone heard of this type of interview before? It seems that it will be maybe pre-recorded videos/prompts with no actual interviewer there.
So I did an asynchronous MMI for another school this cycle.

The way mine was the “phases” came in sets of two questions. There would be a scenario and a question with about 3-4 minutes to answer. The second question would be a follow up with a shorter amount of time to answer.

Obviously it’s a different school, but it was chill and kind of fun. That’s my anecdote though.

II on 8/29, IS ties via Oregon Heritage, submitted 8/14

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like being a people pleaser makes this easy, has anyone ever told you that you prioritize work or school over them?

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for those who might be 3rd time applicants or possibly 2nd-time applicants. I applied last year as an IS applicant fairly late. I submitted my secondary on Sep 1st, was verified within days, and received an interview invite 2 weeks later (was surprised with how late I applied). I was waitlisted last year in the 60's and thus I am applying again.

This year I am now applying as OS (but with very heavy ties and Oregon Heritage), I submitted June first with my primary and turned my secondary in within 5 days of receiving it. I have improved my application considerably with multiple publications, shadowing, volunteering etc., but have still not received an II.

I see now that people both OS and IS with lower stats and who were verified later than me are getting II's and it's worrying me. It's confusing that they were so eager and responsive to my (late) application last year, but this year they are not despite my significant improvements and early application.

For those who are 2nd or 3rd-time applicants, have you experienced this same thing? OHSU claims to be friendly to reapps, but do you think it's possible they flagged me as a reapplicant and are giving priority to first-time apps? Or now that I no longer have IS status, is it possible I am at a slight disadvantage regardless of my improvements? They consider Oregon Heritage as "mission", but does anyone know if they hold all mission-based groups on equal ground?

I know this question is aimed at reapps but thanks in advance for your take/insight

For the activities in the secondary, are we supposed to project the hours until the start of med school like we did on the primary?

For the activities in the secondary, are we supposed to project the hours until the start of med school like we did on the primary?
I made sure my secondary had the exact same values as my primary.

II this morning (9/12)! First interview in two cycles (finally woohoo!). IS and secondary submitted on 7/18, completed on 8/31.

Reactions: 5 users
I also received an interview today! IS and was complete on 8/15.

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my secondaries 7/31 but never received a confirmation email. Are there other steps I need to take to be complete?

I submitted my secondaries 7/31 but never received a confirmation email. Are there other steps I need to take to be complete?
I didn't get a complete email before my II! I don't think they send them (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but you can just check the portal to see if you're complete :)

does anyone know what type of MMIs they do (i.e. acting, teamwork scenarios)?

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for those who might be 3rd time applicants or possibly 2nd-time applicants. I applied last year as an IS applicant fairly late. I submitted my secondary on Sep 1st, was verified within days, and received an interview invite 2 weeks later (was surprised with how late I applied). I was waitlisted last year in the 60's and thus I am applying again.

This year I am now applying as OS (but with very heavy ties and Oregon Heritage), I submitted June first with my primary and turned my secondary in within 5 days of receiving it. I have improved my application considerably with multiple publications, shadowing, volunteering etc., but have still not received an II.

I see now that people both OS and IS with lower stats and who were verified later than me are getting II's and it's worrying me. It's confusing that they were so eager and responsive to my (late) application last year, but this year they are not despite my significant improvements and early application.

For those who are 2nd or 3rd-time applicants, have you experienced this same thing? OHSU claims to be friendly to reapps, but do you think it's possible they flagged me as a reapplicant and are giving priority to first-time apps? Or now that I no longer have IS status, is it possible I am at a slight disadvantage regardless of my improvements? They consider Oregon Heritage as "mission", but does anyone know if they hold all mission-based groups on equal ground?

I know this question is aimed at reapps but thanks in advance for your take/insight
If I remember correctly, about half my class are reapplicants. OHSU seems to almost favor reapplicants over first-time applicants, and they always strongly encourage 2nd and 3rd applications. Heritage status is considered equal to resident for the purposes of admissions, also as far as I know. I applied as heritage and it took me a little longer to get an II. Also, remember that OHSU doesn't weight stats as heavily as other schools do. They use them as a marker for whether or not you'll succeed in medical school, but if you got an II last year, then you're definitely fine on your stats. If you improved on your application last year, then I'm sure you'll have an II in the pipeline.

Reactions: 4 users
Those of you that have gotten interviews, have you completed Casper yet? And have your scores been sent?

Those of you that have gotten interviews, have you completed Casper yet? And have your scores been sent?
I completed CASPer and my scores were sent at the end of July I believe. But I only got 2nd quartile, so I don't think CASPer is a make or break at OHSU!

Hi Everyone,

I will say there’s only been a few waves of IIs so far, it’s very early. There’s a few things that could make it so they haven’t sent you one yet to no fault to your app, but with OHSU you’re 1) at no disadvantage interviewing later since they’re rolling and 2) still early, I’d say October/Nov interviews are still pretty early in the cycle for them too! Admissions team doesn’t even release the first A’s until maybe December

Last edited:
I will say there’s only been a few waves of IIs so far, it’s very early. There’s a few things that could make it so they haven’t sent you one yet or no fault to your app, but with OHSU you’re 1) at no disadvantage interviewing later since they’re rolling and 2) still early, I’d say October/Nov interviews are still pretty early in the cycle for them too! Admissions team doesn’t even release the first A’s until maybe December
I really enjoyed watching your journey in the last year's thread, hope you are succeeding at OHSU!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know what type of MMIs they do (i.e. acting, teamwork scenarios)?
Just normal MMI questions last year. One-on-one over video call obviously. Seemed like they were just trying to get an idea of your values and how you would react to normal conflicts.

Just got an II this morning for the MD/MPH program. OOS submitted 8/11, marked complete on 8/16.

Hi Everyone,

31% of the MED25 class were reapplicants. I reapplied twice before coming to OHSU. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm not 100% certain but I think that mission groups are all treated equally.

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a same same but different boat! Reapp and applied super early the first time as an IS in 2019 and interviewed in October but stats were lower and I ended up getting the R on whatever the last day is that OHSU sends out decisions (it's like the last day of March or April??). I've since improved MCAT by 8 points, boosted my GPA with an M.S. and gained a lot of great work/research experience BUT I was abroad for research this summer and ended up not submitting til very late, OS now too. My secondary was completed 9/6 and I'm a lil nervy, but when I did the follow up call after my R, they basically said to just keep doing stuff to test my interest in medicine and if I reapply I should get another II unless I somehow became a worse applicant. So the only thing I'm nervous about this time is how late I applied. I also exchanged many emails w someone at the admissions office re IS vs Oregon Heritage and it doesn't matter for admissions consideration, only when it comes to ✨tuition✨ So don't you worry! Even though I know we all worried. Love OHSU, but they seem to have weird (very little) trends in how they send out IIs, As, Rs, and can quite frankly be straight up rude when it comes to keeping people in the hold pool from October until April. So honestly I'm glad if my interview is later in case they wanna put me on hold again for a while cause that was 6 months of absolute anguish just to get an R.
Best of luck to us all!

wondering this too as someone interested in MD/MPH - as an OOS applicant, my chances are already slim :''\
Does anyone know how many seats there are for the MD/MPH class at OHSU?

I just wrapped up my interviews today. My understanding is that they will have about 55 interviews for 15 spots in the MD/MPH program. It seems like, including my group, they've interviewed 15 applicants so far. It sounded like we were fairly early into the application cycle and I think they're doing about 5 per week/interview session for the MD/MPH. It seemed like we'd likely hear by December about our decisions of accepted, hold, or rejected. I think the MD/MPH program is following the strategy of the MD program in that they only accept proportional to the percentage of applicants they've seen so far. So in the case of the MD/MPH program, if they've only done 15 of 55 so far, that's ~27%, so they'd likely only have offered 4 acceptances after my group and the vast majority will have been put on hold.

Last edited:
Do we need to make an account with kira talent before the interview or do we just use the link to check in via webex?

Not to be neurotic but should I be worried as an IS MD/MPH applicant who hasn't heard anything yet?? I'm in two mission groups and I was complete 8/22 so I figure someone's at least laid eyes on my app by now...
LM 79, WARS low 90s-ish?, blood type A+, etc. etc.
Been biting my tongue as well, but by this time last year I had already interviewed. I'm not too worried yet, but starting to wonder...

• Sad
Sorry to be neurotic but has anyone who completed on 8/16 or later as an IS applicant recieve interview invites for the regular MD program? I'm starting to feel a bit worried...

Hello all! For those that are worried about not hearing back from OHSU yet for an interview or a post-II decision, don't worry. This is normal. OHSU is notoriously slow at all stages in the process. For interviews, applications are not necessarily reviewed in chronological order. A friend of mine last year submitted her app in July and did not get an interview until March, and she was ultimately accepted (IS applicant).

For post-II decisions, expect to hear a decision 6-12 weeks after an interview, and expect that decision to most likely be a hold. If you are put on hold, it is not necessarily a bad thing since the vast majority of interviewees will be put on hold. If your decision ends up being a hold, expect to hear about an A/WL/R at the end of April. Of course, you may not be put on hold or your hold decision will come out sooner, but since this timeline is so common, I think it's best to have this expectation and then be pleasantly surprised if you hear news sooner.

Unless this year they are doing things differently, this is normally how it works at OHSU. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Thank you for interviewing with us. We hope you enjoyed your interview day.
PLEASE NOTE: We will update your status here as soon as a decision has been made.

american psycho GIF

• Haha
Interviewed 8/29-30. Second batch of interviewees. OOS. We were told oct 15 decision was unlikely. Nov 1 was more likely. Unless, someone else experienced otherwise. This is my only interview so far. It’s also my first choice. Good luck!