2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
thank you! if you dont mind, I was wondering how long admitted students have their offer until it expires?
I was accepted somee time in December so I had one month. The closer we get to may they give you less time. Google says: Those accepted between January 15 and April 30 will have 14 days. Those accepted on or after May 1 may be asked for an immediate deposit. After May 1 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges. I got this from: The Application Process.

Reactions: 1 users
IS II just now. Submitted 8/1. Will be declining! I hope it goes to one of y'all. Good luck, my friends!

Reactions: 6 users
Application still with Admissions Comittee email on 01/13

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if this school accepts LOI/update letters prior to II? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Losing all hope for a II with this school. I’m IS and URM. I even live in the region. Got into 4 schools in the Midwest but Western was my top DO 🥲

Reactions: 6 users
Losing all hope for a II with this school. I’m IS and URM. I even live in the region. Got into 4 schools in the Midwest but Western was my top DO 🥲

Ikr. Should have rejected me months ago if I wasn’t seriously being considered.

Hang in there and don't lose hope yet! This school interviews late into spring.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who interviewed the second week of December (12/6 & 12/8) heard back regarding their decision?

Can any current student please share how you feel about the grading system? Is there more stress competition with the grading scale? It seems like a major downside compared to pass/fail systems, but I'm not sure what it's like in practice. Thanks!

I haven’t heard back and it’s been over a month since the interview.. should I try calling the office or remain patient? 😭
It’s totally up to you! I think during the interview we were told that we would hear back in December. So you could reach out saying that. I was waitlisted so maybe that’s why I heard back

Can any current student please share how you feel about the grading system? Is there more stress competition with the grading scale? It seems like a major downside compared to pass/fail systems, but I'm not sure what it's like in practice. Thanks!
Current first year. Heres what I said earlier: I think the cut offs for high pass and honors are too high for preclinical. It essentially is an ABC system but the cutoff for B (high pass) is 85% and honors (A) is 93% which kinda stresses out the high achievers and makes it harder for the more average students to stand out/avoid “just passing”. Also the class is ranked but I think they only report your quartile on residency apps. One of my very few complaints about the school in general, loving it otherwise!!

Despite the ranking system, everyone is extremely helpful and collaborative.

Does anyone know if this school accepts LOI/update letters prior to II? :)
For anybody curious I emailed admissions and they do accept update letters prior to II! They told me I can upload it into portal

Last edited:
do you guys upload the letter of intent into the portal or email to your counselors?

How can you tell if you are in the waitlist or alternate list?

IS II today. submitted 7/6/23
hi. congrats on your II. Just wondering if you don't mind sharing your stats (you can DM me if you don't want to post here). I have been complete since early September and haven't heard anything - wondering if I should reach out to them?

hi. congrats on your II. Just wondering if you don't mind sharing your stats (you can DM me if you don't want to post here). I have been complete since early September and haven't heard anything - wondering if I should reach out to them?
cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.62, and MCAT 506 (128/123/129/126). I have A LOT of leadership experience, clinical experience, volunteering, and shadowing experience. Zero research. Let me know if you have any other questions!

I think I read in this thread that sending a LOI pre-interview doesnt hurt. I got an II 6 months after i submitted my secondary WITHOUT sending anything to them.

Hey everyone, I interviewed on Jan 11th. Did anyone hear back from those who interviewed? So far it is nothing for me

Last edited:
cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.62, and MCAT 506 (128/123/129/126). I have A LOT of leadership experience, clinical experience, volunteering, and shadowing experience. Zero research. Let me know if you have any other questions!

I think I read in this thread that sending a LOI pre-interview doesnt hurt. I got an II 6 months after i submitted my secondary WITHOUT sending anything to them.
that's great. thank you!

is shadowing or working with a DO a must?

When I spoke with an admin rep about how I could improve my app in case I don't hear anything this cycle, shadowing was one of the things missing from my app; preferably DO but can do MD shadowing

OOS II. Does anyone know if they tend to open up more interview slots?

It's not "required", but it would definitely help. They are very big on the whole osteopathic philosophy and tenets being one of the first DO schools in the West. Shadowing/Working with a DO might better show them why you're choosing DO.

IS II this morning, completed 6/30

Reactions: 2 users
I just checked my portal again, and now I've received a letter stating that I have been waitlisted. I haven't received an email yet. interviewed on 1/11.
same, waitlisted, also says: "the class is currently filled". I just received an email.

update: it also offers me an alternative status. I am assuming that I am in the alternative list instead of the waitlist?

Last edited: