2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing on my end. I think they said we would hear back today, but I wonder if they are behind
I called today, admissions said they for sure will let us know by the break. But to be honest, I highly doubt they will

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else missing pre-requisite courses that they shouldn't be missing on their portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is waitlist higher than alternate as a priority?
Im not sure tbh. My waitlist letter says "We are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time because the applicants who were offered an acceptance before your interview have since confirmed their intent to attend COMP; the class is currently filled" It is so early for the class to be full

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Im not sure tbh. My waitlist letter says "We are unable to offer you a place in the class at this time because the applicants who were offered an acceptance before your interview have since confirmed their intent to attend COMP; the class is currently filled" It is so early for the class to be full
I really hope we are on top of the waitlist.

Yeah I hope so! Are you a Cal resident? Does your letter also indicate the class is full?
Yes I am a Cal resident, mine also says class is full. I think I read somewhere that 2-3 weeks ago admissions said they filled only 50 seats, I just do not get it, what about the remaining 150. According to previous years's tread, the class is not full till mid Feb.

Reactions: 1 user
Got waitlisted also. My letter says the same thing. Is there an alternate possibility or do they send the same thing to everyone?

Got waitlisted also. My letter says the same thing. Is there an alternate possibility or do they send the same thing to everyone?
Later some of their currently accepted students might withdraw in favor of a different school, so that is when acceptances to people who got the type of letter you did will start to happen

do you guys think there is a way we can know our rank as far as the waitlist position goes?

Yes I am a Cal resident, mine also says class is full. I think I read somewhere that 2-3 weeks ago admissions said they filled only 50 seats, I just do not get it, what about the remaining 150. According to previous years's tread, the class is not full till mid Feb.
Yeah this is really weird. People were still getting interviewed and A’s in February and march last year

For those wondering about the rank of the waitlist versus alternate… if it’s the same as last year the waitlist is higher priority than the alternate list. Also most (but not all) people on the waitlist tend to get accepted in the end, but it might be a while if it’s the same as prior years. I interviewed april, WL like a month later, and not accepted til mid July. So be patient y’all ❤️ I know the wait suckssss

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
For those wondering about the rank of the waitlist versus alternate… if it’s the same as last year the waitlist is higher priority than the alternate list. Also most (but not all) people on the waitlist tend to get accepted in the end, but it might be a while if it’s the same as prior years. I interviewed april, WL like a month later, and not accepted til mid July. So be patient y’all ❤️ I know the wait suckssss
Do you know if they have some type of internal ranking system for the waitlisted? Or they consider the LOIs when accepting people from waitlist

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know if they have some type of internal ranking system for the waitlisted? Or they consider the LOIs when accepting people from waitlist
The waitlist does get ranked but not until the end of the cycle I think. And even then, they wont tell you what your rank is. Alternate list isnt ranked. Not sure about the effect of LOIs on WL acceptances

hey does anyone know western’s remediation policy for failing a course

This honestly makes me feel discouraged bc I got an II end of Nov and was only able to get an interview scheduled for January

Can someone please add me to the admitted students page? Also, best of luck to everyone on the waitlist I hope to see you in the Fall

i jus really hope that people who want to go somewhere else will notify COMP as soon as possible so that we, the folk on waitlist, know what to do :///

Hi, I have an upcoming interview next week, and I am trying to prepare for it. Does anyone have any tips?

Can someone please add me to the admitted students page? Also, best of luck to everyone on the waitlist I hope to see you in the Fall
I don't think there is an admitted students page yet! I have an unofficial accepted students discord though, PM me if you'd like to join :)

hey does anyone know western’s remediation policy for failing a course
Hey so in general the school is very supportive when students fail. Most exams are barrier exams meaning you need to get above a 70% (69.5% really). If you fail an exam you get a chance to retake over conference week which is sort of a "break week" after our finals weeks. Its nice because you only have to focus on the material you didnt do well on, so most students end up passing the retake. If you fail the retake, you have to remediate. I'm not too sure on the specifics of how this works honestly, but I believe you have to retake the whole exam you failed over the summer break and if you don't pass that 3rd time you have to repeat the year.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I have an upcoming interview next week, and I am trying to prepare for it. Does anyone have any tips?
Hey without giving away any specific details.. practice the most common interview questions (tell me about yourself, why medicine, why this school, and why DO). These are asked in almost every DO interview I had. Make bullet points of what you'll talk about so if you get flustered during the interview you can think back to them to get you back on track. I wouldn't recommend memorizing a script because it can sound fake.

Also review the history of the school! WesternU has a pretty important place in the development of osteopathic medicine, especially on the west coast. The school is big into OPP too so review those tenets and maybe try to think of a story of how your clinical experiences aligned with one of them. Good luck!

The questions were really not too specific. As others have mentioned, be able to answer why medicine and why DO. Also, have some key points about your experiences you’d like to discuss. It’s really just about letting them see your personality so try to joke with your interviewer or relate to them if you can.

Hey so in general the school is very supportive when students fail. Most exams are barrier exams meaning you need to get above a 70% (69.5% really). If you fail an exam you get a chance to retake over conference week which is sort of a "break week" after our finals weeks. Its nice because you only have to focus on the material you didnt do well on, so most students end up passing the retake. If you fail the retake, you have to remediate. I'm not too sure on the specifics of how this works honestly, but I believe you have to retake the whole exam you failed over the summer break and if you don't pass that 3rd time you have to repeat the year.
Thank you so much! I have a couple other questions I’ve been wondering since interviews about that may help others too if you don’t mind! I was wondering what activities are mandatory (daily lecture, labs)? Also how is finding rotations? Do many have to relocate or will it most likely be in the area?

Thank you so much! I have a couple other questions I’ve been wondering since interviews about that may help others too if you don’t mind! I was wondering what activities are mandatory (daily lecture, labs)? Also how is finding rotations? Do many have to relocate or will it most likely be in the area?
So the answer to which activities are mandatory is somewhat complicated lol. Youll have mandatory in person labs almost every week which are OMM, CMR and anatomy (first year). Youll spend an average of 4 hours for each per week in lab (so about 12 total). CMR is clinical medicine and reasoning which is essentially your "doctoring" class. Youll learn how to take histories, do physicals, put a stethescope on the right way etc etc.

You occasionally have mandatory in person lectures but the vast majority of lectures are either live zoom or prerecorded lectures. Most of the live zoom lectures are recorded so you can come back and view them at a later date. Some live zoom lectures must be attended at the time they are delivered. In my experience most classmates will watch pre recorded lectures and zoom recordings at 1.5-2x speed so that they can spend more time on active learning (anki, practice questions etc)

Rotations I don't know much about since I'm a first year. I do know that they have some longitudinal sites in Ventura and Kern County where you do all your core rotations of 3rd year so you only have to relocate once during third year. The other sites are sprinkled throughout the state, obviously focusing on the area around Pomona. You'll be at different clinics/hospitals for each rotation if youre not at a longitudinal site. I wouldnt worry too much about rotations yet, WesternU is very well established so they have plenty of good sites to choose from.

So the answer to which activities are mandatory is somewhat complicated lol. Youll have mandatory in person labs almost every week which are OMM, CMR and anatomy (first year). Youll spend an average of 4 hours for each per week in lab (so about 12 total). CMR is clinical medicine and reasoning which is essentially your "doctoring" class. Youll learn how to take histories, do physicals, put a stethescope on the right way etc etc.

You occasionally have mandatory in person lectures but the vast majority of lectures are either live zoom or prerecorded lectures. Most of the live zoom lectures are recorded so you can come back and view them at a later date. Some live zoom lectures must be attended at the time they are delivered. In my experience most classmates will watch pre recorded lectures and zoom recordings at 1.5-2x speed so that they can spend more time on active learning (anki, practice questions etc)

Rotations I don't know much about since I'm a first year. I do know that they have some longitudinal sites in Ventura and Kern County where you do all your core rotations of 3rd year so you only have to relocate once during third year. The other sites are sprinkled throughout the state, obviously focusing on the area around Pomona. You'll be at different clinics/hospitals for each rotation if youre not at a longitudinal site. I wouldnt worry too much about rotations yet, WesternU is very well established so they have plenty of good sites to choose from.
Thank you so much!!!!! Super appreciated.

Withdrew my A, hope it goes to one of you! GOOD LUCK :)

Reactions: 4 users