2024-2025 Drexel Pathway to Medical Application Cycle (DPMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very shady and unfair while going through active process especially for those that applied from early fall 2023 as. Application opened
Yeah they should have made this change for the next application cycle-not when interviews are supposed to go out at the end of the month

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely a little shady to do this DURING application season to their program. Not a great look imo.
I agree because those that had the time to study and retest before applying to hit the new mark could have easily done so. Makes me think they will only be taking people in the retake group that have higher MCATs or super close to the 502. People with a low 490 like myself might be in danger

I'm sure the program is super amazing as stated by many students in past threads but this combined with the fact that the timeline is so rushed makes me wonder if the school has students' best interest at heart.

I'm sorry but for the school to release decisions in May or even June is just ridiculous. I don't know how they expect students to just pack up and leave with a snap of the finger. I know, I know, DPMS is under the SOM so they're busy with the medical school - IMO, not a good excuse. That doesn't mean that students in the post-bacc programs should just be shrugged off and be second priority. Why not have deadlines be moved up? Is there not a dedicated committee or staff for post-bacc programs? I wonder what past students truly think. I don't know, I'm just rambling but this always just rubbed me the wrong way and it seems this sentiment goes back many years evidenced by past threads. Okay, I'm done, thanks for reading.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure the program is super amazing as stated by many students in past threads but this combined with the fact that the timeline is so rushed makes me wonder if the school has students' best interest at heart.

I'm sorry but for the school to release decisions in May or even June is just ridiculous. I don't know how they expect students to just pack up and leave with a snap of the finger. I know, I know, DPMS is under the SOM so they're busy with the medical school - IMO, not a good excuse. That doesn't mean that students in the post-bacc programs should just be shrugged off and be second priority. Why not have deadlines be moved up? Is there not a dedicated committee or staff for post-bacc programs? I wonder what past students truly think. I don't know, I'm just rambling but this always just rubbed me the wrong way and it seems this sentiment goes back many years evidenced by past threads. Okay, I'm done, thanks for reading.
I agree with you 100 percent

I think this is an issue that many of these SMP/postbacc run into. These programs were designed with medical school matriculation in mind, and that means they are subject to the medical school timeline. There are many students who are also applying to medical school at the same time and, if they get accepted, will choose to matriculate.

The medical school cycle theoretically ends in May with a few acceptances shuffled around after. The DPMS program would not be able to make a definitive decision until after the medical school cycle is mostly over, which causes a "delay" in their acceptances.

I completely empathize with your plight, though. It's not easy to suddenly pack and completely change locations at a moment's notice.

Reactions: 1 users
I think this is an issue that many of these SMP/postbacc run into. These programs were designed with medical school matriculation in mind, and that means they are subject to the medical school timeline. There are many students who are also applying to medical school at the same time and, if they get accepted, will choose to matriculate.

The medical school cycle theoretically ends in May with a few acceptances shuffled around after. The DPMS program would not be able to make a definitive decision until after the medical school cycle is mostly over, which causes a "delay" in their acceptances.

I completely empathize with your plight, though. It's not easy to suddenly pack and completely change locations at a moment's notice.
Yeah I’ve seen previous threads of people from California finding out about an A two weeks before the program starts. Not ideal

Yeah I’ve seen previous threads of people from California finding out about an A two weeks before the program starts. Not ideal
Absolutely! It is not ideal but just an unfortunate reality. Solutions to this would be costly or unfair. One is to delay the start of the DPMS program, but that would cause issues when you do matriculate into the medical school the next year because DPMS will end later. Another could be to offer reserved housing specifically for DPMS, but this is costly if students decide to live elsewhere. Or perhaps not allowing students to apply to medical schools AND DPMS at the same time, which would be incredibly unfair to students.

Not sure what a good solution would be.

Absolutely! It is not ideal but just an unfortunate reality. Solutions to this would be costly or unfair. One is to delay the start of the DPMS program, but that would cause issues when you do matriculate into the medical school the next year because DPMS will end later. Another could be to offer reserved housing specifically for DPMS, but this is costly if students decide to live elsewhere. Or perhaps not allowing students to apply to medical schools AND DPMS at the same time, which would be incredibly unfair to students.

Not sure what a good solution would be.
You made very good points and your explanation above made it more clear to me why the program runs on the timeline it does, thank you.

I think the best and most probably solution imo is to have rolling admissions, that way students are able to apply on their own timeline, mindful if they know for sure they will be doing a post-bacc or may currently be in the app cycle and would like to have DPMS as a back-up. This allows those who apply earlier to find out earlier, preventing many of the problems that are repeatedly brought up year after year in the DPMS threads.

really hoping that the 502 requirement goes into effect next cycle, not a good practice to change application requirements after accepting applications. Not sure for anyone else, but this would've definitely swayed my decision to apply... the new requirement update may now make my app ineligible for the GPA only cohort.

This is a challenge that may not be limited to the DPMS program however, we'll be dealing with last minute policy changes that go into immediate effect in med school, residency, and beyond. This is a growing pain..... and that concludes my candor :cryi:

Last edited:
Hi Guys! Current DPMS TA here. I remember being in your shoes about 2 years ago and also feeling frustrated regarding the wait time and how relatively short notice acceptances are. As someone mentioned above, there are a multiple factors that go into why the decisions are so 'late', one of them being that the medical school faculty is still conducting interviews for the medical school and they are also the ones that interview prospective DPMS students.

When I was applying 2 years ago I didn't receive an interview invite until April 27th.

I know it's hard right now but if you have already completed your application use this time to relax, spend time with friends and family, and if you're still finishing undergrad, use this time to finish strong!!

Feel free to reach out with any questions :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hi Guys! Current DPMS TA here. I remember being in your shoes about 2 years ago and also feeling frustrated regarding the wait time and how relatively short notice acceptances are. As someone mentioned above, there are a multiple factors that go into why the decisions are so 'late', one of them being that the medical school faculty is still conducting interviews for the medical school and they are also the ones that interview prospective DPMS students.

When I was applying 2 years ago I didn't receive an interview invite until April 27th.

I know it's hard right now but if you have already completed your application use this time to relax, spend time with friends and family, and if you're still finishing undergrad, use this time to finish strong!!

Hey! Did you do the MCAT track or the gpa track? And how difficult would you say it was to balance academics while studying for the MCAT in the program? Thanks!

Hey! Did you do the MCAT track or the gpa track? And how difficult would you say it was to balance academics while studying for the MCAT in the program? Thanks!
Hi. I was on the MCAT track. I would say it is totally doable. A lot of the material you cover in the program will prepare you for the MCAT with the exception of CARS and P/S.
There is also a Princeton prep class that students from the MCAT track takes (covered by your tuition) that also helps.

Also both tracks need to make the GPA cut off in order to make contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I was on the MCAT track. I would say it is totally doable. A lot of the material you cover in the program will prepare you for the MCAT with the exception of CARS and P/S.
There is also a Princeton prep class that students from the MCAT track takes (covered by your tuition) that also helps.

Also both tracks need to make the GPA cut off in order to make contract.
Hi! Thanks for answering questions!

Is the Princeton Review prep class in-person or online?

Can you tell us more about your time in the program? What the program was like, course load, the people, living in the city, etc. I think we would all just love to know what your overall experience was like and so we can know what to expect if we do attend the program!

Hello everyone,
I am a current dpms student and I am not an official spokes person for the program, but I am happy to share my experience. I am from California, and understand how challenging it can be to move cross country. luckily the program provides 6 weeks of free room and board during the summer so that you are able to find an apartment. They aid in finding a place if you need help. As for the city of Philly, it is Philly so you have to have situational awareness, but I find it relatively safe.

Now as for the program, I can say I 100% love it. Yes, the program is challenging but, very doable. I treat it as a full time job, studying any where from 8-10 hours, and supplementing with tutoring for topics I find challenging. I am Track 2, so I take extra classes as opposed to the prep course that track one takes. It all comes down to time management and how much work you put into the courses and studying. Hope this answers some questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello everyone,
I am a current dpms student and I am not an official spokes person for the program, but I am happy to share my experience. I am from California, and understand how challenging it can be to move cross country. luckily the program provides 6 weeks of free room and board during the summer so that you are able to find an apartment. They aid in finding a place if you need help. As for the city of Philly, it is Philly so you have to have situational awareness, but I find it relatively safe.

Now as for the program, I can say I 100% love it. Yes, the program is challenging but, very doable. I treat it as a full time job, studying any where from 8-10 hours, and supplementing with tutoring for topics I find challenging. I am Track 2, so I take extra classes as opposed to the prep course that track one takes. It all comes down to time management and how much work you put into the courses and studying. Hope this answers some questions.
Hi, do you find that many students do well on the MCAT and end up successfully hitting the required mark? And if so do you feel like this has contributed to the 502 score increase

Can you tell us more about your time in the program? What the program was like, course load, the people, living in the city, etc. I think we would all just love to know what your overall experience was like and so we can know what to expect if we do attend the program!
Sure! My time in the program was great! But i can break that down more:
1. academically: VERY VERY CHALLENGING!! you are essentially taking Medical school level classes for a grade so you will have to put in the work. However, I felt very supported by professors, TAs, and the program directors. I remember having one on one meetings with professors that would sit there with me and walk me through a set of problems and answer every single one of my questions. I do believe that the professors that we have truly care about students and really want to see every person succeed but that doesn't mean that it won't be hard. They will expect you to put in the work.

2. Location-wise: I am originally from NYC so I am used to living in a city. Transitioning to Philly was not really an issue for me because I am used to the city life. However, if you are coming from other parts of the country I can understand how it can be a rough transition but during the summer the TA team works really hard to implement social events so you get to learn more about your classmates and also explore Philly.

3. The people: Since the program is targeted to UiM students I think you have a great opportunity to really form lifelong relationships. I met some of my now best friends during the program. Another cool aspect is that you will be taking classes in the same building where the medical students are (which was not the case for my year.) You'll be able to attend some of the events hosted by some of the clubs/organizations in medical school.

Overall, I think it is a great program and it really prepares you for medical school.

If you come to the program you will be challenged for sure in a lot of aspects and I am sure you will find things you don't like or that the program can do better but in my opinion I really think the program is doable and it's worth it.

• Care
So it’s not updated on the site but interviews probably won’t be sent out until May and the class starts in July not June this year. Can confirm per admissions

So it’s not updated on the site but interviews probably won’t be sent out until May and the class starts in July not June this year. Can confirm per admissions
In that case are we allowed to apply for the general AMCAS cycle? Seems unfair that if we don't get in the program, we will also make ourselves late for applying in the general application cycle.

In that case are we allowed to apply for the general AMCAS cycle? Seems unfair that if we don't get in the program, we will also make ourselves late for applying in the general application cycle.
If you end up getting in to DPMS they expect you to withdraw all open applications. So you can apply but if you get in you have to retract everything. And AMCAS does not do refunds so we have to think about that too

Hi, so this process isn’t rolling as described on the website?? From my understanding, I thought we should know whether or we’re considered early. In case not, they’d refer you to a different program. So is it safe to assume that you’re still consider if you don’t hear from Drexel all the way to May in your opinion??

Hi, so this process isn’t rolling as described on the website?? From my understanding, I thought we should know whether or we’re considered early. In case not, they’d refer you to a different program. So is it safe to assume that you’re still consider if you don’t hear from Drexel all the way to May in your opinion??
Hey no, from my understanding it’s not rolling. We probably won’t have much movement until May because they have to square away the upcoming med school class. Per admin, you can apply for the other programs in the meantime you and can be transferred over to DPMS if you end up getting accepted into both

That's so... interesting. I found the calendar for the upcoming year online and the program is supposed to start on July 1. DPMS usually starts the last week of June so it's only a one week difference. It's actually really bizarre that interviews won't start until May. If the they kept their original timeline with the new start date, that gives students more cushion time to plan but now I guess they're just gonna push the timeline off. Sigh, Drexel is losing favor in my eyes with everything it's doing :,(

That's so... interesting. I found the calendar for the upcoming year online and the program is supposed to start on July 1. DPMS usually starts the last week of June so it's only a one week difference. It's actually really bizarre that interviews won't start until May. If the they kept their original timeline with the new start date, that gives students more cushion time to plan but now I guess they're just gonna push the timeline off. Sigh, Drexel is losing favor in my eyes with everything it's doing :,(

For real lol, seems like every postbacc that I have found about and decided to apply to this year are either raising their requirements making me ineligible or doing some insane stuff to make my life harder lol.

Hi, do you find that many students do well on the MCAT and end up successfully hitting the required mark? And if so do you feel like this has contributed to the 502 score increase
Hello,
From my understanding usually everyone tends to make contract and is able to meet the required GPA and MCAT scores. I honestly do not know why they are raising the GPA and MCAT scores, but I promise it is very doable. If you put in the work and focus, the grades and scores will come. Good luck wishing you the best.

I attended the interview session today. Here are a few things I found interesting...
  • They said that in recent years, matriculation has been as high as 100% percent from the DPMS to DCOM, but that most years it's about 75%.
  • Typically, they receive between 400-800 applications for 60 spots.
  • If you end up on Track 1 (the MCAT retake requiring track) then you have until January or March of the following year to get the required MCAT score; the final date is determined once the MCAT schedule is released.
  • They stated that the increase in the MCAT score to 502 and GPA to 3.4 was a decision made by Drexel College of Medicine and not the program.
  • It is not rolling admissions like medical school and all decisions will be released in mid to late May.
  • They provide transition housing for 6-weeks for the summer session. This should ease concerns of folks traveling from out of state.
Good luck, all!

Last edited:
I attended the interview session today. Here are a few things I found interesting...
  • They said that in recent years, matriculation has been as high as 100% percent from the DPMS to DCOM, but that most years it's about 75% (however, some of that 75% could be participants choosing to go elsewhere. I had a friend make a contract but decided to go to Albany because they gave him a scholarship...)
  • Typically, they receive between 400-800 applications for 60 spots.
  • If you end up on Track 1 (the MCAT retake requiring track) then you have until January or March of the following year to get the required MCAT score; the final date is determined once the MCAT schedule is released.
  • They stated that the increase in the MCAT score to 502 and GPA to 3.4 was a decision made by Drexel College of Medicine and not the program.
  • It is not rolling admissions like medical school and all decisions will be released in mid to late May.
  • They provide transition housing for 6-weeks for the summer session. This should ease concerns of folks traveling from out of state.
Good luck, all!
This is great thank you! When did you submit? And When did you hear back about an interview ?

This is great thank you! When did you submit? And When did you hear back about an interview ?
I waited to submit until this evening because they offered a fee waiver to anyone who attended the virtual open house. They said folks will hear about interviews once the application closes. However, they are already reviewing applications so some folks might hear back about missing application components.

Hopefully next week --interviews start to go out --- :) Happy Good Friday Y'all !

During the open house they said in May they will go out
IIs? I attended an open house in March and they said IIs would start going out in April, which tracks with what happened the last couple of years… Are you sure they weren’t referring to acceptances? At the open house, they mentioned that May would be when the first acceptances went out…

Last edited:
I’m assuming they changed the admissions timeline and requirements around from when I attended a session back in November because they stated interviews come out in April and acceptances in May. When I asked to clarify about two weeks ago, I was told by Thelicia to “just be patient” lol, nothing else except that they have a lot of applications each year, kinda annoyed me but it is what it is, just gonna wait and see what this school comes out with next.

IIs? I attended an open house in March and they said IIs would start going out in April, which tracks with what happened the last couple of years… Are you sure they weren’t referring to acceptances? At the open house, they mentioned that May would be when the first acceptances went out…
Yes I asked specifically and she said May was when invites start. They are waiting until the deadline and waitlist situation is sorted out from this current med cycle. Class starts in July this year

Yes I asked specifically and she said May was when invites start. They are waiting until the deadline and waitlist situation is sorted out from this current med cycle. Class starts in July this year
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I guess we'll all have to be patient and see how it shakes out.

If ii starts in May, the turnaround for the decisions would have to be somehow very fast even if the program starts later this year(July 1st).

If ii starts in May, the turnaround for the decisions would have to be somehow very fast even if the program starts later this year(July 1st).
Unless they just give everyone a two week notice in June :rofl: but with how Drexel seems to operate, wouldn't put it past them

Sure! My time in the program was great! But i can break that down more:
1. academically: VERY VERY CHALLENGING!! you are essentially taking Medical school level classes for a grade so you will have to put in the work. However, I felt very supported by professors, TAs, and the program directors. I remember having one on one meetings with professors that would sit there with me and walk me through a set of problems and answer every single one of my questions. I do believe that the professors that we have truly care about students and really want to see every person succeed but that doesn't mean that it won't be hard. They will expect you to put in the work.

2. Location-wise: I am originally from NYC so I am used to living in a city. Transitioning to Philly was not really an issue for me because I am used to the city life. However, if you are coming from other parts of the country I can understand how it can be a rough transition but during the summer the TA team works really hard to implement social events so you get to learn more about your classmates and also explore Philly.

3. The people: Since the program is targeted to UiM students I think you have a great opportunity to really form lifelong relationships. I met some of my now best friends during the program. Another cool aspect is that you will be taking classes in the same building where the medical students are (which was not the case for my year.) You'll be able to attend some of the events hosted by some of the clubs/organizations in medical school.

Overall, I think it is a great program and it really prepares you for medical school.

If you come to the program you will be challenged for sure in a lot of aspects and I am sure you will find things you don't like or that the program can do better but in my opinion I really think the program is doable and it's worth it.
Hi There,
Had a few Qs for you if you don't mind...
What were your stats and major?
Was the challenge for you more related to volume/pace or conceptual difficulty of the material?
Were there older non-trads in the program?
What aspects of the program was most effective/helpful with reaching the benchmarks required for matriculation?
Lastly -- and this is more philosophical but -- What do you think changed for you, during the program, that allowed you to achieve the metrics needed to matriculate that (i'm assuming here) kept you from getting in before?

Congratulations! It seems like they might be sticking closer to their original timeline after all.

Reactions: 4 users