A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone who had an ii at SOMA give a timeline on SOMA process (from secondary completion to ii). It has been a month since my application was complete and I still have not heard anything from SOMA...

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone who had an ii at SOMA give a timeline on SOMA process (from secondary completion to ii). It has been a month since my application was complete and I still have not heard anything from SOMA...
My AACOMAS app was released on 7/4. My secondary was complete around 7/6. I received my II on 7/16. I interviewed around 9/20 and received my acceptance offer on 9/25.

Reactions: 1 user

My secondary was complete Oct 9th, II Nov 12, Interviewed Nov 22, Accepted Dec 5th

Members don't see this ad :)
My AACOMAS app was released on 7/4. My secondary was complete around 7/6. I received my II on 7/16. I interviewed around 9/19 and received my acceptance offer on 9/25.
Thanks! I keep waiting on my mail everyday for a letter from SOMA since I heard they send their rejection letters thru snail mail. What a nice way to inform someone that you don't want him/her at you school!

My AACOMAS app was released on 7/4. My secondary was complete around 7/6. I received my II on 7/16. I interviewed around 9/20 and received my acceptance offer on 9/25.
My secondary was complete Oct 9th, II Nov 12, Interviewed Nov 22, Accepted Dec 5th
Thanks... That wait is killing me...

Thanks! I keep waiting on my mail everyday for a letter from SOMA since I heard they send their rejection letters thru snail mail. What a nice way to inform someone that you don't want him/her at you school!
Keep your head up. I got my acceptance about a week later than some in my interview group. No sense in worrying yet! I'm sure you will get the call soon.

Keep your head up. I got my acceptance about a week later than some in my interview group. No sense in worrying yet! I'm sure you will get the call soon.
Thanks for that it's comforting. Learning of acceptance of other applicants I met at interview event has been nerve wracking to say the least!!

Just received a rejection via email. Disappointed. Best to you all.

Rejected via snail mail pre-interview. I had about average stats and URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turned down my acceptance here. It was a very difficult decision cause SOMA is really an outstanding school. Best of luck to you all!

Hey guys. I just got an II to this school. The earliest available interview date is Jan. 31. Is there anyway I can interview at an earlier date? If so, how would I go about doing that? Has anybody had luck squeezing in an earlier date?

Congrats! I would call them to see if there's an earlier date. When were you complete?

Just gave up my seat here about an hour ago for another school. I hope one of you get taken off of the wait list. Not sure how they rank their list but either way just putting it out there. Good luck to all you students trying to get to ATSU-SOMA.

Hey guys. I just got an II to this school. The earliest available interview date is Jan. 31. Is there anyway I can interview at an earlier date? If so, how would I go about doing that? Has anybody had luck squeezing in an earlier date?
Would you mind sharing your stats?

Just received a II, and feeling grateful. This is my second time around from last year (alternate list)

Just received a II, and feeling grateful. This is my second time around from last year (alternate list)
Were you placed on an alternate list or were you accepted and your choice CHC never opened up? I was under the impression the school would defer your acceptance if your CHC didn't open up. I'm really confused about how things work at this school regarding acceptances.

Were you placed on an alternate list or were you accepted and your choice CHC never opened up? I was under the impression the school would defer your acceptance if your CHC didn't open up. I'm really confused about how things work at this school regarding acceptances.
Alternate is different than wait list. Wait list transfers from previous year to this year. Alternates do not transfer

Only those who are accepted are given a chc

Any recent II? I been complete since ~Nov 13th. Is this a silent rejection?

I hope not.. I've been complete since 10/3 and I haven't heard anything yet. I've heard things are kinda moving slow this cycle.

I declined my acceptance here today. The Brooklyn CHC has one spot open starting tomorrow I think. Good luck to all!

Give it time. Nov 13th is kind of late to join the party, but there should be lots of action now that the first deposit date has passed. Good luck! :)

For accepted: when you are assigned a CHC, is it possible to make an exchange with another student? Or, if a student has a very high preference for one CHC, will the school allow an "extra" slot for that person even if it's full?? Thank you.

Sent from my phone

For accepted: when you are assigned a CHC, is it possible to make an exchange with another student? Or, if a student has a very high preference for one CHC, will the school allow an "extra" slot for that person even if it's full?? Thank you.

Sent from my phone
During the interview, they told us they did not allow exchanges between students. As for your CHC question, I asked admissions and they said they only have a certain number of slots and they have a rank order for those.

Interviewed in December, accepted a week later! Got my first choice CHC! From my interview day I remember people saying that many students exchanged CHC sites throughout the year.

Sent from my phone

CHC exchanges can occur. But it is not as simple as finding a student to switch with (although that is the first step). The RDMEs (Regional Director of Medical Education) from each site must also approve of the switch and it has to go through some of the higher-ups in admin at the Mesa campus. It is possible to make a switch, although not easy.

And yes, the 10 spots for each CHC are set...this is because there may be other students from other schools at the same clinic/hospital as you so they cannot accommodate an extra student. Or the clinic does not have the capacity for extra students. It takes a lot for a physician to take on a student as a 2nd year. There is a lot of extra time, teaching and commitment they put in to allow you access to patients at such an early stage in your medical career.

Some spots also open up throughout the application cycle as students get accepted to other school. We had students coming and going up until the first day of classes. Students may also drop out during the year (this is rare but does happen) or may leave after 1st year (again, rare). So spots can also open up that way at various CHCs.

Well I'm out of the running, pre-interview rejection via snail mail today. :( good luck to the rest of you though.

Well I'm out of the running, pre-interview rejection via snail mail today. :( good luck to the rest of you though.
Sorry about the rejection! When was your application complete? I was complete in 11/09 and been waiting for an ii or that snail mail, and I have not heard a peep so far.

Anyone else who interviewed on 12/6 hear back? Rejected today, oh well :/. Best of luck to the rest of you guys

Interview invite! So pumped.

3.4c/3.2s 28

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed in December, accepted a week later! Got my first choice CHC! From my interview day I remember people saying that many students exchanged CHC sites throughout the year.

Thanks, what were your stats, may I know?

CHC exchanges can occur. But it is not as simple as finding a student to switch with (although that is the first step). The RDMEs (Regional Director of Medical Education) from each site must also approve of the switch and it has to go through some of the higher-ups in admin at the Mesa campus. It is possible to make a switch, although not easy.

And yes, the 10 spots for each CHC are set...this is because there may be other students from other schools at the same clinic/hospital as you so they cannot accommodate an extra student. Or the clinic does not have the capacity for extra students. It takes a lot for a physician to take on a student as a 2nd year. There is a lot of extra time, teaching and commitment they put in to allow you access to patients at such an early stage in your medical career.

Some spots also open up throughout the application cycle as students get accepted to other school. We had students coming and going up the first day of classes. Students may also drop out during the year (this is rare but does happen) or may leave after 1st year (again, rare). So spots can also open up that way at various CHCs.
Thank you! I will be there January 31st. Hoping all goes well. 3.22/3.4/25
Good ec's, great LORs, my reasons for joining parallels soma's mission. Alternate from last year.

Congrats! When were you complete please ?
Thanks! I got an email my secondary was received 10/24. I don't remember getting a complete email.

I am curious though to how worth it you guys thought the social the night before interviews is. I am just wondering if I should take an additional day off from work to fly in a little earlier and go to that.
Also, did anybody bring somebody with them to the social? My wife kinda wants to go with me to check out the area and it says you can bring a guest to the social.

Thanks! I got an email my secondary was received 10/24. I don't remember getting a complete email.

I am curious though to how worth it you guys thought the social the night before interviews is. I am just wondering if I should take an additional day off from work to fly in a little earlier and go to that.
Also, did anybody bring somebody with them to the social? My wife kinda wants to go with me to check out the area and it says you can bring a guest to the social.

Social is worth it, but not a deal breaker if taking the time off is too much.

And your wife would be more than welcome. Many people do bring spouses.

I will be withdrawing my application in the next week. Just a heads up. I was accepted since early November.