A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I find it so funny that many people talk about "desirable" sites late in the process. I could not be happier with my SC designation which was one of 2 sites left when I was accepted. Frankly, I wouldn't touch Chicago or Brooklyn, but then again I have a wife and 2 kids. Who wouldn't want to live on the Atlantic coast so close to Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach?

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it so funny that many people talk about "desirable" sites late in the process. I could not be happier with my SC designation which was one of 2 sites left when I was accepted. Frankly, I wouldn't touch Chicago or Brooklyn, but then again I have a wife and 2 kids. Who wouldn't want to live on the Atlantic coast so close to Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach?

I find it so appropriate that many people talk about "desirable" sites this early in the process, for those who are going to defer acceptance. I could not be happier with my Brooklyn designation which was one of 11 sites left when I was accepted for next year. Frankly, I wouldn't touch Mount Arab and Ridgeland, but then again I have a wife and young daughter. Who wouldn't want to live on the Atlantic coast so close to (disputably) some of the world's best museums and within the nation's (indisputably) most culturally/ethnically diverse city?

;)

Last edited:
All,

This query is mostly for keels99 (and for others who have been accepted, pending an open seat), but just wanted to make absolutely sure:

If:
- An applicant is accepted pending an open seat for Fall 2015
- Then decides not to wait for an open seat, but just defers acceptance until Fall 2016

That applicant who deferred acceptance is subsequently NOT obligated to attend ATSU-SOMA in Fall 2016? In fact, that applicant may even choose to apply to other medical schools for the Fall 2016 cycle? (Provided, of course, that they're meeting all the appropriate deposit deadlines and withdraw their acceptances in a timely manner for the Fall 2016 cycle.)

In other words, the applicant who is accepted pending an open seat for Fall 2015 who subsequently defers to the Fall 2016 cycle is pretty much like any other accepted applicant in the Fall 2016 cycle. No obligations, restrictions, or anything like that. They just got accepted suuuuuuper early.

Very Respectfully,
Well, if you defer the acceptance, your deposit is due in July. Soooo.... You don't really have a chance to apply to other schools unless you want to put $2000 down at SOMA. But yes, as long as you finish the appropriate pre-matriculation classes and what not, then you are officially accepted. I hope that answers your question.

Edit; No, you are not obligated to go to SOMA if you defer, but it won't look good to turn down an acceptance if you plan to reapply to SOMA specifically

NOTE: The alternate list is NOT the same thing as being accepted pending an open seat. I have seen the confusion on this thread many times now.

Well, if you defer the acceptance, your deposit is due in July. Soooo.... You don't really have a chance to apply to other schools unless you want to put $2000 down at SOMA. But yes, as long as you finish the appropriate pre-matriculation classes and what not, then you are officially accepted. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks keels99. Just wanted to emphasize, however (on the offhand chance that any faculty/staff from ATSU-SOMA are reading this), that I am extremely humbled by the acceptance (pending an open seat) to ATSU-SOMA. I'm contemplating applying to one other school (for Fall 2016) simply because the bulk of my family is there. If that school rejects me, then I will be happy and grateful to study at ATSU-SOMA (starting Fall 2016).

Reactions: 1 users
Preliminary SOMA match list, about 75% of the matches reported.

Anesthesiology
ACGME:
-New York Medical College; UCSF - East Bay Prelim Year
-Mayo Clinic-Rochester

AOA:
-Larkin Hospital/NSU-COM

Diagnostic Radiology
ACGME:
-Tripler Army Medical Center-Honolulu, HI (civilian match)

AOA:
-DMC - Huron Valley
-Larkin Hospital/NSU-COM

Emergency Medicine
ACGME:
-University of Tennessee - St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital
-UC Davis
-Saint Louis University
-Texas A&M-Christus Spohn

AOA:
-Henry Ford Macomb
-Allegiance Hospital
-Kennedy Memorial Hospital
-Kennedy Memorial Hospital
-Inspira Health Network
-Michigan State University-Sparrow Hospital
-Coney Island Hospital

Family Medicine
ACGME:
-St. Joseph's Hospital - Phoenix, AZ
-Darnall Army Medical Center
-Brown University Med School/Memorial Hosp. of Rhode Island
-University of Colorado - RMC
-Family Medicine Recidency of Western Montana
-Northwestern University
-Valley Family Medicine Residency of Modesto
-Cape Fear Valley Medical Center
-West Suburban Medical Center
-St Louis University - Belleville
-Univ of Colorado - St. Mary's Hospital
-White Memorial Medical Center
-Fort Belvoir Community Hospital
-University of Arizona-south campus
-UNM-Northern New Mexico FMR

AOA:
-Allegiance Hospital
-Mountain Vista Medical Center
-Downey Regional Medical Center
-Wright Center for GME-Seattle
-Valley Hospital Medical Center
-Oklahoma State University Medical Center
-Kingman Regional Medical Center
-Good Samaritan Hospital-Lebanon PA

Family Medicine/NMM
-UNTHSC North Texas

Gen Surg-categorical
ACGME:
-USAF - Wright Patterson AFB/Wright State University
-The Danbury Hospital/ University of Vermont

AOA:
-Henry Ford Wyandotte
-St. John Providence Health System

General Surgery - Prelim
ACGME:
-New York Hospital Queens/Weill Cornell

Internal Medicine
ACGME:
-William Beaumont Army Medical Center
-Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton Regional Hospital
-Kettering Medical Center
-Cook County Hospital/Rush University Medical Center (Primary Care Track)

AOA:
-Valley Hospital Medical Center
-Broward Health Medical Center
-Mountain Vista Medical Center

Neurology
ACGME:
-Georgetown University

Obstetrics & Gynecology
ACGME:
-Wright State University
AOA:
-Wyckoff Heights Medical Center

Pathology
ACGME:
-University of California San Francisco-SF

Pediatrics
ACGME:
-Inova Medical Center
-University of Illinois in Chicago
-University of South Dakota SSOM
-University of Arizona-South Campus
-US Naval Hospital- San Diego
-Advocate Children's Hospital in Park Ridge

AOA:
-SCS/MSUCOM/Detroit Wayne County Health Authority GME
-Oklahoma State University Medical Center

Psychiatry
ACGME:
-University of California - Irvine
-Maricopa Medical Center

PM&R
ACGME:
-Baylor University Medical Center
-University of Toledo

Transitional Year
ACGME:
-Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
AOA:
-Arnot Ogden Medical Center

Reactions: 2 users
This is a great list man thank you for putting it together, getting me even more excited.

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted by phone today! I have been accepted to another school and have not placed my deposit yet, but I just want to say for anyone yet to interview/ reading for next cycle, I was really impressed by ATSU. The fact that they call to accept you I think is a reflection of actual concern for applicants throughout the process as people and not just numbers (no small feat, considering how awfully replaceable applicants are at nearly all schools) - including the entire mechanism of "accepting pending open seat." Naturally there will be a ton of people who want to apply again, so it makes so much sense and I think more schools should (and hopefully will in the future) adopt it. I felt the same way at my interview. I am not sure if the professors were actually interested in my background but I would presume my extracurriculars are similar to the majority of applicants (volunteer, research) and so attribute this to the school going beyond numbers, as they claim, to focus on their mission statement. I can't reveal too much about the interview because we signed not to, but the day was the most creative and I would guess effective that I went through (5 now). I would copy it if I were on an admissions committee.

If you are really passionate about the osteopathic philosophy and implementation, SOMA is the epitome of it. I was honest about not being 100% set on primary care, but some of the work they have done across the community health centers was really astonishing and so important!
My biggest hesitation here is that Arizona is really far for me and it may come down to location. However, I did not realize earlier when applying that you only spend ONE YEAR in Arizona - and this can be very relevant. So if the location is a negative for you and you are deciding to apply definitely check out the CHC locations!

Over and out :D
Congrats on your acceptance! I was honest about the whole "family medicine" thing as well. Told them I wanted to do ER, and they replied, "That's what all the scribes say." haha

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the average USMLE score for ATSU students? What percent pass?

I don't think USMLE pass rates are reported since not everyone decides to take it. You would have better luck finding the COMLEX pass rates (which are on their website.)

Members don't see this ad :)

For my class the school did a survey, not everyone participated but based on the results the largest group got between 200 and 220 on the USMLE, and between 516 and 575 on comlex. My USMLE score was higher than the above group, and my COMLEX score fell in the above category.

I don't have info on the pass rate but I know of a few who failed both exams (not one person failing both exams, but a few different people who failed either USMLE or COMLEX).

Last edited:

Last edited:

Based on general trends of classmates, SC got really popular with the families this year. (at least three people tried to switch in, but it's full). Lots of switching out of Chicago,Washington DC, and Flagstaff to other locations. Most people switched from their highly desirable CHC to be closer to family, as simple as that. Med school is hard, you need that familial support if you have it!

Word of mouth says that there was a 85% pass rate for comlex level 1 this past year (but those students were already at risk so..)
the school doesn't encourage taking USMLE, so they don't really have data for it. but the students who do take the USMLE are generally a self-selected group that know they need to do well, so those people generally pass.

Based on general trends of classmates, SC got really popular with the families this year. (at least three people tried to switch in, but it's full). Lots of switching out of Chicago,Washington DC, and Flagstaff to other locations. Most people switched from their highly desirable CHC to be closer to family, as simple as that. Med school is hard, you need that familial support if you have it!
I think all CHC's have a great purpose and serve a very important role in the respective communities. I'm really glad SC was available when I was accepted. I'm born and raised in Mesa and would love the opportunity to stay in my community, but I'm also super excited to experience something new. I'm sure my wife and boys will love living near the coast. And to be completely honest, it wouldn't be a bad thing to get away from family for a few years.

Is everyone ready to rumble???!???!??!?!??!??

Reactions: 4 users
Quick question from a prospective 2016 applicant:

Are you able to find out your CHC before making a deposit?

I am very interested in the curriculum, but not about moving after one year.

Last edited:
Quick question from a prospective 2016 applicant:

Are you able to find out your CHC before making a deposit?

I am very interested in the curriculum, but not about moving after one year.
Deposit is due in May. You will know your CHC prior to paying. However, there is always a chance of moving up in your choices if someone drops. You rank them 1-10.

Last edited:
any waitlist movement here?anyone heard anything?
I am a waitlister and they asked me to rank the CHCs last week. I replied with my rankings and asked if they could tell me the possibility of getting an acceptance and they replied confirming that I am ranked #15 on the list. No idea other than that, though they did state that there has been steady movement as of late.

I am a waitlister and they asked me to rank the CHCs last week. I replied with my rankings and asked if they could tell me the possibility of getting an acceptance and they replied confirming that I am ranked #15 on the list. No idea other than that, though they did state that there has been steady movement as of late.
Thanks fr the info...the list is moving!!

It sounds like they're working on finalizing rankings before she sends out the e-mail to have the waitlisters rank their CHCs.
Hi there...just got the email asking me to rank my campus for possible acceptance..so I guess it's at that point...just in case you're a current applicant waitlisted like me...

Hi there...just got the email asking me to rank my campus for possible acceptance..so I guess it's at that point...just in case you're a current applicant waitlisted like me...
Remember that if you rank all 10 you will be sent to whatever site opens up, even if it is last on your list.

Does anyone know which sites are most competitive?
The ones in Arizona (except Flagstaff), Portland, Seattle. I think the site in California was also competitive. I got first dibs on sites, though, so it didn't matter.

Can anyone help me with the English prerequisites?

The website said "- English composition, English literature, technical writing, and classes designated by undergraduate institution as writing intensive."

I took a expo course, which covers grammar and two writing assignments. Does it count?

Can anyone help me with the English prerequisites?

The website said "- English composition, English literature, technical writing, and classes designated by undergraduate institution as writing intensive."

I took a expo course, which covers grammar and two writing assignments. Does it count?

I don't think anyone on here is qualified to answer that question. Your best bet is to email admissions/aacomas for all your pre-requisite questions.

Good luck on your apps.

Reactions: 4 users
anybody know anything about whether we would be able to defer a year if we get accepted now until classes start?

anybody know anything about whether we would be able to defer a year if we get accepted now until classes start?
I'm assuming you're asking if you can defer a year if you were to be pulled off from the alternate list. From what I understand, no you can't. Being on the alternate list is only good for this year's class. From the email: "In the event you are not accepted for admission this year, your Alternate status is for this year's class only and is not to be considered as an acceptance to any future class."

If you were accepted pending an open seat, then yes. I believe you can defer. Hope that helps!

I'm certain I'm not the only one that received deferred acceptance. I think there is approximately 20 of us, and we all received first choice on our CHCs (unless the CHC site is switched, in which case we would receive our second choice.)
I am awaiting news of acceptance/rejection for the 2020 class. I noticed you deferred your acceptance and was wondering if that was an option still available to applicants accepted for 2020. I have read that the CHC's are pretty much all full accept for Ohio but it's really important for me to get a spot at one of the CHC's in Arizona, I know spots open up throughout the first year but I have no idea if any of the Arizona spots are likely to open up or not.

Hey everyone, 3rd year (soon to be 4th year) SOMA student here; I've been fairly active in past year's threads so I thought I'd make myself available to anyone who has questions they'd like to ask.

Think of it as "Ask Me Anything" SOMA style.
besides the curriculum being unique. what else do you find that is different at atsu that you can't get anywhere else