A.T. Still University (ATSU-SOMA) Arizona Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know the earliest day we will hear back about getting pulled off the wait list? I know the last day of interviews is April 15th. just trying to gauge the earliest I would find out from them before I pack up and move to a different school.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the earliest day we will hear back about getting pulled off the wait list? I know the last day of interviews is April 15th. just trying to gauge the earliest I would find out from them before I pack up and move to a different school.

Depending on your internal ranking by admissions, it could be anytime from now till July 1st (whenever the first day of classes start). The lists start moving more in May/June...

does anyone know which CHCs are left?
Its always either Ohio or South Carolina left over.

Hey guys! So I got an e-mail for an interview invite. I will be declining this interview, since my heart is set on another school. FYI: I saw two interview dates (April 22 and May 13). Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible for people who were accepted to post their stats? that would be very helpful!

Hey did anybody else who is wait listed get an email a little while back from ATSU admissions asking if you are still interested in attending and wanted to be kept on the alternate list?

Hey did anybody else who is wait listed get an email a little while back from ATSU admissions asking if you are still interested in attending and wanted to be kept on the alternate list?
I believe everyone on the wait list received that email.

Anybody else on here interviewing this Friday 4/22? Sounds like most people have really enjoyed their experience at this school.

Hey everyone. Another current first year here. I'm freaking loving SOMA so far. Let me know of any questions!

Why do you love it? I am looking into applying here OOS but have heard mixed things about the curriculum. Can you state what has been good/bad about it? As well as the general culture there? Thanks in advance!

^Same!! Loved this school so much. Will it really take that long? I noticed in past years they heard back within 1-2 weeks.

Why do you love it? I am looking into applying here OOS but have heard mixed things about the curriculum. Can you state what has been good/bad about it? As well as the general culture there? Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I'm another OMS I at SOMA and I thought I'd chime in. I do have to admit that one of the major decision factors in coming to this school was because I'm from Tempe and have an established family network nearby.

For me I know the cirriculum will make me a better doctor and that is why I know I picked the right school . We get way more patient contact hours before even getting to rotations. In our first year we have a patient interaction every two weeks with an actor to practice our communication and medical skills. Knowing that I'm going to be seeing a "patient" so often takes away the nervousness because of all the added experience. It also prepares you mentally because there are interactions when your standardized patient is in a foul mood. To get that experience with an actor under controlled conditions helps because I have the methods work/cope with it and I will be better prepared when that happens in the real clinic environment. Other schools I've checked with only have patient interactions about twice every six months. Additionally, about every 2 weeks we get the opportunity to present to an attending which again not many schools get that opportunity so frequently.

We have tests every 2 weeks (sometimes more than one about every 6 weeks), which feels like a lot when you're in the midst of it, but again, I know it will prepare me to be a better doctor because I will be doing better on my boards than elsewhere. It makes the material seem much more important because I have to be constantly reviewing it.

Initially I thought that moving after first year would be dreadful but I've realized it works perfectly for my personality type. I'm independent and I'm seldom at school. I like studying at home, at my own desk, with my dogs nearby. No matter what state I'd be in I would still be able to do the same thing I basically do now in central AZ. For me it will just be a change of scenery when I go outside. That being said, because we all know that we are moving at the end of this year group school activities are so much better. We have a lot of activities planned and many people come out to enjoy each others company. My peers are some amazing people and just because there will be distance doesn't make me think that we will lose our closeness.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call this morning, accepted pending an open seat!! Beyond excited, loved this school when I met everyone during my interview on 4/22!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't receive a voicemail - called to check this morning and they said they had left one. Weird. Accepted pending an open seat!!! Loved this school SO MUCH at the interview (4/22). They have an amazing culture there.

They said the admissions committee makes a decision in early July if "accepted pending open seat" students will roll over until the next year... that makes me worried

I was just wondering, is accepted pending an open seat the same as a full acceptance (either DO 2020/DO 2021)? Or is there a chance that I might not end up being able to attend the school at all?

That's what I'm wondering as well. This school is by far my first choice, and I'm so grateful and incredibly happy to be accepted here. But with everything else considered, I don't want to turn down another opportunity if I don't have a seat here even next year (DO 2021). That would mean a round of reapplying with no guarantee lol. Can any current or former students shed some light on this?

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I'm wondering as well. This school is by far my first choice, and I'm so grateful and incredibly happy to be accepted here. But with everything else considered, I don't want to turn down another opportunity if I don't have a seat here even next year (DO 2021). That would mean a round of reapplying with no guarantee lol. Can any current or former students shed some light on this?

I was also accepted pending on open seats. However, I was also accepted somewhere else so I am not to sure if I should accept my other school or completely wait for this school. Have you all been accepted somewhere else?

I was just wondering, is accepted pending an open seat the same as a full acceptance (either DO 2020/DO 2021)? Or is there a chance that I might not end up being able to attend the school at all?
Have you been accepted somewhere else? If so, what are you doing if you have been accepted somewhere else? I am in this boat and I want to know your thoughts. I don't want to wait around.

Anyone have any idea on approximately how many people they have on the "accepted pending open seat" list? I was placed on the alternate list so I know it's a slim chance to get off it since accepted pending open seat takes priority, but thought I'd just wonder how many people y'all think are on that list?

When I originally got the acceptance pending open seat call 2 days ago, I was a little to ecstatic to ask any follow up questions. So I called today and spoke with Dolores of SOMA admissions, she is super nice!

Per Dolores, the admissions committee is still deliberating whether the "accepted pending open seat" list becomes a "deferred acceptances to Class of 2021" list, and that nothing is for certain. However, this has happened in the past so lets stay positive. As of right now the only available CHC placements are in Ohio and one of the Carolinas (I think it was South, not 100% on my memory right now haha) and that there has been multiple previous years in which admissions have pulled students off of the alternate list.

When someone is accepted, he/she then has 2 weeks from the acceptance date to pay the acceptance fee of $1000. If they do not do so, their acceptance is then given to someone else, which will be to the next person that is ranked on the "acceptance pending open seat" list. If a prospective student pays the $1000 acceptance fee within 2 weeks, then they will have that seat, and CHC placement until June 15th, where the student will have to pay the pre-registration fee. If someone does not pay the pre-registration fee on June 15th, then that seat is forfeited, and more people will be moving from the"acceptance pending open seat" list and even the alternate list if the "acceptance pending open seat list" is exhausted. Anytime between now and June 15th we can get a call for getting a spot in Class of 2020, depending on currently accepted students paying their fee in 2 weeks.

What I took from this, is to expect a lot of movement around June 15th. Dolores even stated that she is always moving students around from CHC to CHC and even off the ranked lists, so anything is possible! Best of luck everyone, there is still time left :)

Have you been accepted somewhere else? If so, what are you doing if you have been accepted somewhere else? I am in this boat and I want to know your thoughts. I don't want to wait around.

Congratulations on your other acceptances! Personally, I would first ask your admissions of your other school's acceptance and see how much the deposit is, and how long you would have the seat for after paying your deposit. If it is around June 15th or so, then go ahead and pay the deposit, hold the seat at the other school, and wait around for as long as possibly allowed to see if ATSU gets back to you. If you really want to go to the other school you were accepted to more than ATSU, why even wait around for ATSU, just go accept that one and be happy!

Just my .02 and that is how I would do it should I be in your situation. I am currently on waitlists at a couple other schools so if accepted here I will probably pay the deposit and wait around for other schools as best/long I can. Obviously, finances play a role, even paying for deposits since those are non-refundable. Best of luck!

Anyone have any idea on approximately how many people they have on the "accepted pending open seat" list? I was placed on the alternate list so I know it's a slim chance to get off it since accepted pending open seat takes priority, but thought I'd just wonder how many people y'all think are on that list?

Unfortunately, there is about 150 people on the alternate list.

I called and they said there is about 150 people on the alternate list. I believe the best bet is to secure an acceptance elsewhere especially this late in the game.

Unfortunately, I called and they said there is a 150 people on the alternate list.

I had the same issue. Email Bianca from the admissions. She will add ya.

Does this school highly favor in state applicants?
I haven't started here yet, but it doesn't seem to be bias. There was a mix of current students at interview day and people on the fb probably because majority of students only spend 1 year in AZ and the remaining 3 years at a CHC elsewhere. I do recommend taking a good look at the curriculum and making sure you are ok with the 1:3 model.

Any of you accepted students get the 2016 match list yet?

I graduated with the class of 2015, haven't seen anything but was curious to see how the guys just under me did.

When's the last possible date to hear back from the waitlist? Really hoping I get off this waitlist :(

Any idea if the accepted pending open seat list has ever been exhausted in the past?

When's the last possible date to hear back from the waitlist? Really hoping I get off this waitlist :(

Any idea if the accepted pending open seat list has ever been exhausted in the past?

I'm assuming it's before classes start (July).. And no idea I'm sorry :(

I emailed admissions today and they said the last day you could hear back is the first week of school (July 11-17). They also said there are still some people on the accepted pending open seat list. :/

I'm also on the alternate list so crossing my fingers for the both of us!

Hi!!

I was just pulled off the alternate list yesterday and now I'm scrambling for housing! If anyone (female preferred) is looking for a roommate or has any suggestions for housing (especially with rent below $650) this close to orientation, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an email today saying that I was in the top portion of the wait list. Orientation begins July 11th...so soon!

Still no word from ATSU for me :( Congrats to everyone else from the alternate list who's heard back or gotten an email regarding their position though!!!

Last I emailed, they said I was in the higher range but that could mean there's still lots of people in front of me. Still holding out hope but chances are pretty slim at this point.

Declined my acceptance here. South Carolina is currently the only CHC left. Good luck to all the hopefuls!!

I just got an email today saying that I was at the top portion of the waitlist as well.

also received an email last week that i was at the top portion of the wait list. For accepted students, does orientation begin July 11? I looked at the academic calendar and saw classes begin July 18th, but I cant find anything about orientation

also received an email last week that i was at the top portion of the wait list. For accepted students, does orientation begin July 11? I looked at the academic calendar and saw classes begin July 18th, but I cant find anything about orientation
Yea orientation starts july 11th

Hi there! Congratulations to all of you 2016 beginning ATSU students, class of 2020!! If any of you have a few minutes to spare for a couple of questions about the school and your application goals to ATSU, I'd greatly appreciate it (I'll PM you)! I know it can get pretty crazy during this time. But, in case someone out there has a couple of minutes, I'd be super happy!!!! Thank you! Btw, I hope all of you have a fun year!!!

Last edited:
Hi there! Congratulations on all of you 2016 beginning ATSU students, class of 2020!! If any of you have a few minutes to spare for a couple of questions about the school and your application goals to ATSU, I'd greatly appreciate it (I'll PM you)! I know it can get pretty crazy during this time. But, in case someone out there has a couple of minutes, I'd be super happy!!!! Thank you! Btw, I hope all of you have a fun year!!!

go ahead and direct your questons on this thread and we can answer questions:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tsu-soma-discussion-thread-2016-2017.1196875/

Any current SOMA student in either the Washington DC or Chicago CHC and can answer a few questions?

Anyone in town? Came a bit early for my interview Friday and new to the area. Looking for things to check out.