ATSU/KCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found out I was wait listed today after waiting 2 months...way to string me along. I am so disappointed. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I recieved a letter in the mail saying that my application has been reviewed, and it was placed on hold. Is this a silent rejection or do they actually re-review the file?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing this Thursday the 20th? I'm so excited to see the campus (anxiety has not yet sunk in)! Anyone know how full the class is...?

Anyone else interviewing this Thursday the 20th? I'm so excited to see the campus (anxiety has not yet sunk in)! Anyone know how full the class is...?

I'll also be there the 20th. See you then!

Wooh! I got the call on the 15th! KCOM was my number one and I can't wait to get the acceptance packet tommorow! Anyone else going to KCOM for sure?

Wooh! I got the call on the 15th! KCOM was my number one and I can't wait to get the acceptance packet tommorow! Anyone else going to KCOM for sure?

I'm definitely going to KCOM. It was my first choice too. Hope to see you in the Fall :).

Sent my deposit a while back. I'll see you in August! :)

Hey guys! Is anyone interviewing on the 31st?

interviewed on the 10th and got the acceptance call yesterday!!!! I'm waiting in the hotel room for my next interview tomorrow morning at LECOM, but I'll probably end up at KCOM. It's an awesome school. It's so welcoming and I think it is definitely a great place to learn medicine.

AFHPSP. Selection boards are in early Feb. So nothing is certain.

Interviewed on 01/20 and was generally impressed by KCOM. Kisspeptin I believe we interviewed at DMU together: what did you think of the facilities compared to DMU? I had to leave prior to the campus tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 01/20 and was generally impressed by KCOM. Kisspeptin I believe we interviewed at DMU together: what did you think of the facilities compared to DMU? I had to leave prior to the campus tour.

The facilities were awesome. There were huge additions that were finished last summer. I was really impressed. We saw the fully functional manequin/machine things that you can actually cathaterize and such and I believe kcom has more of them than dmu (kcom has 6) we got to see the gross disection anatomy lab which was super cool. They said other schools only do prosections but kcom has an entire cadaver per 4 people. The library was new and really nice, separate study rooms with white boards and computers so you can project things onto the wall. Everyone was very knowledgable and helpful. I loved it!! I wish you luck!!

The facilities were awesome. There were huge additions that were finished last summer. I was really impressed. We saw the fully functional manequin/machine things that you can actually cathaterize and such and I believe kcom has more of them than dmu (kcom has 6) we got to see the gross disection anatomy lab which was super cool. They said other schools only do prosections but kcom has an entire cadaver per 4 people. The library was new and really nice, separate study rooms with white boards and computers so you can project things onto the wall. Everyone was very knowledgable and helpful. I loved it!! I wish you luck!!

I thought the one area of the school that was surprisingly lacking was the anatomy lab. It seemed really dirty and old. I know that you are only in there your first year but still, comparing with the rest of the facilities the school has, I thought this was one of the schools few weakpoints.

Also...If any current students can chime in here...do you guys think disection is worth it. When talking with students at other schools who have disections, most said that they wish they had prosections because they claim they "waste" hours trying to get good cuts only to get a subpar look at the actual anatomy and end up relying on the professors prosection anyways. They claim the first week of disection is fun and then it quickly becomed a hassle...so I was wondering if it really seems like a waste of time?

Sorry I should have been more specific. That part of the tour was really cool for me because id never seen a human cadaver before. I agree the building was really old-looking with really nothing state-of-the art as far as I could see. I didn't see a cadaver lab at any other school so I have nothing to compare it to.

KCOM and Truman State both have anatomy classes in the KCOM building, different rooms. I took anatomy as a Truman student, and you all pretty much nailed it with the old facilities, and looking like a bucket of bolts. However, I kind of grew to like it. Sure there arn't but maybe a few video monitor and the books are old, but the lack of tech and austear conditions made the experiance more cerebrial and less about mastering the machines. My $0.02.

I thought the one area of the school that was surprisingly lacking was the anatomy lab. It seemed really dirty and old. I know that you are only in there your first year but still, comparing with the rest of the facilities the school has, I thought this was one of the schools few weakpoints.

Also...If any current students can chime in here...do you guys think disection is worth it. When talking with students at other schools who have disections, most said that they wish they had prosections because they claim they "waste" hours trying to get good cuts only to get a subpar look at the actual anatomy and end up relying on the professors prosection anyways. They claim the first week of disection is fun and then it quickly becomed a hassle...so I was wondering if it really seems like a waste of time?

I personally think that the best way to learn the anatomy is having to dig for it! I will never forget those pesky nerves and arteries I spent hours searching for! It was such a thrill when we would finally find the things we were supposed to see! I took anatomy in undergrad, but we only had plastic models. I picked up the anatomy so much better when I had to cut and search for it myself. I guess I am a tactile learner. Being able to touch the nerves and arteries, follow them to the organs they innervate/supply, really helped me in my learning process. The anatomy lab does take some time, but I wouldn't call it wasted time. I don't have any experiences with prosections, but I know I really enjoyed my lab experience at KCOM. It helped that I had awesome lab partners. The building isn't super spiffy, but all it does up there is house a bunch of cadavers, so even if it was brand new I think it would smell the same at least :).

Well, that's my opinion of course. Maybe others didn't find lab as helpful. My husband (one of my awesome lab partners too!) also says he feels that he wouldn't have learned the anatomy as well if he hadn't had to dissect it for himself. He didn't have any anatomy before medical school, and he said he really learned it well through Grant's Dissector and doing the dissections himself.

Interviewing on Feb 14th...so Excited!! :love:

I was also there interviewing in the 20th. And I agree that the anatomy lab is definitely the dingiest part of campus. But having been to a few other interviews, this seems kind of like a general rule. Anatomy is a get-dirty class, so might as well have a get-dirty room. Having said that, KCOM's anatomy lab is even more bare bones than some of the others I have been in, with what seems like less space in which to work. But I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing: working close to other groups gives you more bodies to look at and learn from.

I don't know what the percentage of medical schools that currently have a dissection anatomy class is, but I know that all of the schools I have interviewed at have had students doing their own dissection. I make a small sample size, I know, but there you have it.

And for the record, I really liked KCOM. I think it's a great school.

I just paid my deposit today for KCOM. I'm excited for the fall!

Has anyone looked into housing yet?

I personally think that the best way to learn the anatomy is having to dig for it! I will never forget those pesky nerves and arteries I spent hours searching for! It was such a thrill when we would finally find the things we were supposed to see! I took anatomy in undergrad, but we only had plastic models. I picked up the anatomy so much better when I had to cut and search for it myself. I guess I am a tactile learner. Being able to touch the nerves and arteries, follow them to the organs they innervate/supply, really helped me in my learning process. The anatomy lab does take some time, but I wouldn't call it wasted time. I don't have any experiences with prosections, but I know I really enjoyed my lab experience at KCOM. It helped that I had awesome lab partners. The building isn't super spiffy, but all it does up there is house a bunch of cadavers, so even if it was brand new I think it would smell the same at least :).

Well, that's my opinion of course. Maybe others didn't find lab as helpful. My husband (one of my awesome lab partners too!) also says he feels that he wouldn't have learned the anatomy as well if he hadn't had to dissect it for himself. He didn't have any anatomy before medical school, and he said he really learned it well through Grant's Dissector and doing the dissections himself.

I'm with you. The fellows will dissect a body as well if you need a pristine one to take a look at/study from, so there is still prosection if you want it. I also had awesome lab partners so it made the hours of lab time worthwhile and we all talk about it/how we miss the "social" time. I also feel like I learned the anatomy a million times better than looking at a book or someone else's work.

And in the end, its just really cool to be dissecting.

Our lab is not super fancy and nice, but really you don't need all the computers and stuff. Get in there, get dirty, and get your learn on! I'm sure its on the list of things to update though, we just had a TON of renovations in the other buildings.

Hey guys! Is anyone interviewing on the 31st?

Hey Eobrien,
I am also interviewing on the 31st! Can't wait to see the school! Btw is that a picture of florence italy in your avatar?

E

I just paid my deposit today for KCOM. I'm excited for the fall!

Has anyone looked into housing yet?

I've done some poking around on various K-vegas housing websites. Overall it seems pretty cheap for some decent housing. Does anyone know if the school's apartments are filled? For current students, are those apartments nice or are you better off finding your own?

Hey Eobrien,
I am also interviewing on the 31st! Can't wait to see the school! Btw is that a picture of florence italy in your avatar?

E

Cool! Ill see you there. I should probably get my flight/hotel in order.lol I still have to research some places to stay.

But yes it is a pic of Florence. I love it there.

There is a facebook group (KCOM Class of 2015) you can join if you are accepted/paid.... there are also current students in the group who are super friendly and willing to answer questions. One guy even made a spreadsheet of where students live/how they like it/ comments about their landlord. Check it out and meet your classmates early :)

Interviewing the 31st! I'm already here in Kirksville at Super 8 because I was worried about the possibility of snow delaying my travel plans.
Holl-errr.

Interviewing the 31st! I'm already here in Kirksville at Super 8 because I was worried about the possibility of snow delaying my travel plans.
Holl-errr.

First of all...I have an interview at another school 2 days before my interview at Kirks and I'm so nervous about all my flights working that I have been thinking of ways in my head to drive a 40 hour trip in about 20 hours :rolleyes:...Secondly, I was thinking about staying at the Super 8....is it a decent stay?

First of all...I have an interview at another school 2 days before my interview at Kirks and I'm so nervous about all my flights working that I have been thinking of ways in my head to drive a 40 hour trip in about 20 hours :rolleyes:...Secondly, I was thinking about staying at the Super 8....is it a decent stay?

I think it's decent... I used Priceline's "Name your own price" feature HOPING to get Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express but I ended up with Super 8 (knocked only $2 off their original price.:/). That's not to say that's it's bad. It's literally a main street crossing away from a Mex. restaurant, and about 7 steps to a steakhouse(?) so it's somewhat convenient. Since I've checked into the hotel, there's been little rugrats running around outside in the hall ( I wouldn't mind if I hadn't taken 3 flights and 8+ hours to get here). The bed's decent, not luxurious, but my room has a desk, a la-z boy and a tinge of smokey smell.
Overall, B-. Is that thorough enough review. :cool:

Good luck with figuring out your schedule, maybe you can reschedule a school?

Last edited:
I think it's decent... I used Priceline's "Name your own price" feature HOPING to get Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express but I ended up with Super 8 (knocked only $2 off their original price.:/). That's not to say that's it's bad. It's literally a main street crossing away from a Mex. restaurant, and about 7 steps to a steakhouse(?) so it's somewhat convenient. Since I've checked into the hotel, there's been little rugrats running around outside in the hall ( I wouldn't mind if I hadn't taken 3 flights and 8+ hours to get here). The bed's decent, not luxurious, but my room has a desk, a la-z boy and a tinge of smokey smell.
Overall, B-. Is that thorough enough review. :cool:

Good luck with figuring out your schedule, maybe you can reschedule a school?
That works...thanks ;)...the kicker for me is paying for 2 trips in such a short time..so, a B- will work this time..I have a nice suite for my other interview, so I'll just have to down grade..I would reschedule but I feel like this late in the process I should probably get them done quickly..thanks again, and good luck at your interview!!

Yeah, Anatomy lab is smelly, nasty, and I come home sore from being hunched over a body for hours digging out small arteries and nerves, but I've learned so much. I pretty much learn the majority of the material just from being in lab doing a dissection due to the long hours we have to put in at the lab. I do not know how you could learn Anatomy better through a prosection. And, knowing your Anatomy at a high level will definitely help in other classes (and career), especially OMM. I think dissection is the only way to accomplish this.

We do not have the nicest lab, but it works and we have bodies that everyone can work on. I am quite joyful that we will be done with Anatomy in 5.5 weeks!!

Interview on Feb 28th! I'm very excited, I know it's a little late but I can't wait!!

It's been a little while since anyone posted about being accepted. Any guesses as to when the next round of calls will go out?

I'm getting nervous too....I think they meet and call on Wednesdays? Fingers crossed for this afternoon or next Wednesday? They told us 1-3 weeks...

It's been a little while since anyone posted about being accepted. Any guesses as to when the next round of calls will go out?

I'm getting nervous too....I think they meet and call on Wednesdays? Fingers crossed for this afternoon or next Wednesday? They told us 1-3 weeks...

Campus is closed today...yes a VERY rare med school snow day.

Campus is closed today...yes a VERY rare med school snow day.

Haha, nice! Considering how people were acting when there was about 3 inches on the morning I interviewed I can just imagine what it's like now. And thanks for letting us know. I can at least put off worrying until tomorrow.

Did anyone else brave the storm and is interviewing tomorrow? 3 canceled flights, 1 rerouted, 200 mile car drive! I made it here finally :)

Did anyone else brave the storm and is interviewing tomorrow? 3 canceled flights, 1 rerouted, 200 mile car drive! I made it here finally :)

i interview here in 2 weeks on the 18th im a little worried about spending all the money and then my flight being delayed or canceled due to weather... I guess there is really nothing I can do about it, i think ive given myself enough time to get there but either way... blah

I'm starting to check this forum obsessively now. Today is 3 weeks since the Jan 20 interview. Has anyone who interviewed that day heard yay or nay? I'm calling admissions tomorrow morning to see if they have an update.

I'm starting to check this forum obsessively now. Today is 3 weeks since the Jan 20 interview. Has anyone who interviewed that day heard yay or nay? I'm calling admissions tomorrow morning to see if they have an update.

This at least makes 2!. I interviewed on 1/21, and still no word.

I got a call today and I'm in! Oh man is that a good feeling. Just wanted to let you all know they are making calls today. No more internet forums, I'm off to celebrate!

I called admissions today to see what my status was. Brett in admissions (who I interviewed with) said there was no decision yet on my application. He said there were several snow days last week so they are backed up and he's going to email me with their timeline of when they should have a decision. He was very nice and really helpful. Though I really just want to know.

I called admissions today to see what my status was. Brett in admissions (who I interviewed with) said there was no decision yet on my application. He said there were several snow days last week so they are backed up and he's going to email me with their timeline of when they should have a decision. He was very nice and really helpful. Though I really just want to know.

They sent me a rejection letter about two weeks ago. (Probably due to a less than stellar 1hr interview with the dean..a Texan.) I hope you get a seat! Good luck!

Last edited:

Hi Kisspeptin. I too had heard abut delays in the meetings because of the abysmal weather. Hopefully they will get to your application soon. You interviewed on the same day as me, I believe. Any distinguishing characteristics? I am the girl from Minnesota. Hopefully since I got notice today you'll be up soon :)

n.

I got a call yesterday that I'm In!!! I interviewed 1/31 which was a really quick response but I wish everyone the best of luck!!

I interviewed right after the Blizzard that just swept across the nation. I was going to drive in from Chicago but because of the blizzard and considering the rural roads between Chi and Kirksville, I decided to take the train (Amtrak). It worked out great! the Train drops you off in La Plata which is about 10 miles away and will cost you less than $20 to get into Kirksville from the train stop. From chi it cost me $120 round trip for the train tickets. The train was roomy and comfortable. However, many people get drunk on the train so you might have to deal with some interesting guests...

Good luck everyone! :xf:

May I recommend buying a house. You could rent it out after you leave town and as long as you find a handy man in town that you can trust it should go smooth. Buying a house stops the cycle of throwing loan money away on rent!
In today's market it's cheaper (monthly) to buy than rent. :D

Also if you have a 2 or 3 bedroom you can get a roommate and have them pay hf the mortgage and it will be a great deal for both of you. :highfive:

Additionally, try the Wooden Nickle and their mini taco appetizer! :thumbup: