ATSU/KCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the same email!!!! Finally!!! I interviewed 1/20 so it was WELL over the three weeks they said. I loved kirksville and I'm super pumped!!!

Just got an email from Kirksville and I've been Accepted!!!! :welcome:

However, it was an "acceptance pending seat availability"

Basically, the KCOM class of 2015 is currently full... this will definitely change and those with acceptance pending seat availability will then get their seat. Additionally, with the acceptance pending seat availability they guarantee you a seat for 2012 if one doesn't open for 2011.

They stated in the email that 2 years ago everyone offered an acceptance pending seat availability ended up getting a seat for the same year. Last year, not everyone got a seat the same year....

They originally told me they'd let me know 1-3 weeks after my interview but it was just over 3 weeks. I called the admissions woman I interviewed with and she has been out of town for the past week (so anyone who interviewed with Andrea, this might explain some of the longer wait than expected).

Additionally, I emailed the D.O. I interviewed with just a couple days ago and reiterated my strong desire to attend A.T. Still and added a couple other updates etc.

Hope this helps those who are still waiting.... :poke:

****Class of 2015 (or 2016)****

:smuggrin: :soexcited::highfive::clap::lock::banana::rofl:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to those who have been accepted! So since all the spots are taken up are we to expect rejections if we interviewed recently :( ? Darn...

Not necessarily....like DO2013 said we have classmates who didn't get their acceptance until June, July, August. With each deadline there will be people that drop their seats. Also when the MD schools make their final decision that will move the list at DO schools.

the KCOM class of 2015 is currently full

Once again, not necessarily. The only time the class is "full" is when that class walks across the stage to get their white coat. Don't give up hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your insight dani042! your words have brightened yet another day of waiting. lol

Has anyone that interviewed on Valentines day :love: heard anything? Next Tuesday will be 3 weeks. Hopefully we hear something by then. Thanks to everyone for the info about the class status! :D

Has anyone that interviewed on Valentines day :love: heard anything? Next Tuesday will be 3 weeks. Hopefully we hear something by then. Thanks to everyone for the info about the class status! :D

Nothing yet, it looks like they are going pretty much in order of interview date with the exception of the person who interviewed on 2/18 and heard back right away..not sure if that is a typo on the dates or it was some random quick decision. Best of luck :luck:

Last year I was in the same boat as DrTnT and some of you (Accepted pending opening, Class of 2014 or 2015). What they will do in a few months is send out an email asking if anybody was willing to roll over to the next year's class voluntarily (I decided to do just that, for a multitude of reasons). I know that doesn't help you all a lot right now, I just wanted to give you a heads up about what would be coming your way if you don't get a spot in the next few months. Hey, and if nothing does open up, don't worry! That's a whole extra year you get to tell people you are going to med school without having to actually be in med school :laugh:

Mahalo,

MB

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm accepted. Anyone looking into housing yet? Any Kirksville residents that want to share what they do for R&R there? I see there are a couple lakes and nature preserves to the west.

I thought the facilities at KCOM were really impressive. Those simulated patients are cool.

Congrats to those who have been accepted! So since all the spots are taken up are we to expect rejections if we interviewed recently :( ? Darn...

I wouldn't expect a rejection... There's still plenty of hope and they wouldn't interview you if they weren't very interested!!! You could get an acceptance pending seat availability like many of us or even a spot on the alternate list (although I don't know how many people get into ATSU from the alternate list since they accept more than their class can hold with the pending acceptances...

If you're still waiting and it's been past the time they told you it would be, I'd give the admissions woman/man you interviewed with a call. Be polite, tell them who you are and the date you interviewed. Tell them you were just checking on the status of your application, making sure they hadn't tried to contact you yet and that you are very interested in attending ATSU. Thank them for their time and tell them you'll be looking forward to hearing from them etc.

The phone # of the admissions person you interviewed with is on the back of the card they gave you on interview day...

:luck: Good Luck to everyone still playing the waiting game! There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
Well... unfortunately just got the letter today... rejection. Congrats to all those who are getting acceptances though!

Interviewed on Valentines day, got my rejection letter today, good luck to everyone else in the group

sorry to hear about the rejections...I interviewed on V-day and am selected as an alternate...fingers crossed for all of us this year or next..these things all work out in the end :)

sorry to hear about the rejections...I interviewed on V-day and am selected as an alternate...fingers crossed for all of us this year or next..these things all work out in the end :)

Hey Zann, CONGRATS! Did they call you or did you find out through email? I also interviewed 2/14 and haven't heard anything. I will be checking the mail today to see if there is a rejection letter.....Keep ya posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Zann, CONGRATS! Did they call you or did you find out through email? I also interviewed 2/14 and haven't heard anything. I will be checking the mail today to see if there is a rejection letter.....Keep ya posted.

I actually got a snail mail letter..hope you get better news than a rejection!:xf:

Also got the alternate list letter in the mail. Anyone know how many of these they typically take?

How much does tuition/living expenses factor into your decision-making?
For example:
KCOM estimated budget for year 1 ~ $70,000
Public school est. budget year 1 ~ $50,000

Depends on where public school is located. If you're talking about a public school in Chicago that would cost a lot more than a public school in Iowa City.

How much does tuition/living expenses factor into your decision-making?
For example:
KCOM estimated budget for year 1 ~ $70,000
Public school est. budget year 1 ~ $50,000

Red-
I've been thinking about this same exact question... It's a tough one. In my opinion it has to play a role in your decision but shouldn't be one of the top 2 things to consider. I'd say #1: curriculum and education :prof: #2: overall comfort with school and location. If the first two categories are extremely similar for the schools you're considering then I'd look to cost. Let's face it an extra 80k over 4 years is a reasonable amount of $$$. However, it's also something that could easily be payed off in the future. This is why I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor unless you're not particularly drawn to one school, location or curriculum. Just remember, you're going to medical school to receive an education. So ask yourself, where will I receive the best education and be the happiest doing so. Additionally, remember having choices is a great problem to have. :thumbup:

DrTnT, I'm not being argumentative or anything, but although $80,000 plus interest could be paid off, I think it should still be considered significant. That could put at least one kid through college, buy 1 or more decent cars, etc.

DrTnT, I'm not being argumentative or anything, but although $80,000 plus interest could be paid off, I think it should still be considered significant. That could put at least one kid through college, buy 1 or more decent cars, etc.

I agree, it is a significant amount of $$$. However, in my opinion if you were to receive a better education and/or would be happier over the course of 4 years, then the 80K is small chips. I'd rather receive a better education than drive a fancy car. I personally place more emphasis on my happiness and the quality of product I receive. I'm confident that $$$ can always be made and material positions can be replaced.
Yet, everyone's different. Good discussion topic... :corny:

Yeah, I definitely agree about happiness and money. I was just saying if all things were equal.

Ugh, no thanks to this school. I attended interview during the snow storm, and after experiencing the town.. man, o man, there is NO allure for this school.

I swear, I went to Wally World and asked for waxing strips(listen I was bored out of my g'damn mind), and hick lady took me to the ethnic hair isle. I'm yellow-brown in skin color but damn, this place was scarier than the deepest deep south.

Needless to say, I have no attraction to this place. Whatsoever. So take my seat by all mean, and kudos to u that can survive there... with a finger-less taxi driver and all(to his defense, he was fairly nice except he didn't like me calling him "sir" too many times).

Ugh, no thanks to this school. I attended interview during the snow storm, and after experiencing the town.. man, o man, there is NO allure for this school.

I swear, I went to Wally World and asked for waxing strips(listen I was bored out of my g'damn mind), and hick lady took me to the ethnic hair isle. I'm yellow-brown in skin color but damn, this place was scarier than the deepest deep south.

Needless to say, I have no attraction to this place. Whatsoever. So take my seat by all mean, and kudos to u that can survive there... with a finger-less taxi driver and all(to his defense, he was fairly nice except he didn't like me calling him "sir" too many times).

I hear you saholden, Kirksville isn't for everyone... Neither is NYC or any other city for that matter. Location is important!!! You have to mesh with the school and city it's in!!! For me Kirksville seems ideal because I do not want distractions during my first 2 years of med school. Also, to de-stress I like to do things like fishing, hunting, hiking and riding four wheelers etc.
Additionally, it's only 2 years in Kirksville and for the 2nd 2 years of med school KCOM has, I believe, 13 different states to select from with a ton of different cities and institutions. I'm looking at spending my 3rd and 4th years in Grand Junction, Colorado! I love to ski!

:luck:Best of luck to everyone:luck: The decision you make on medical school may be one of the most important decisions you ever make! :smuggrin:

I spent 5 years as an undergraduate in Kirksville and I would say the number one rule of Kirksville is you have to make your own entertainment. Sure there are some annual events (Round Barn Blues, food festivals), seasonal events (farmers market late spring through early fall) and more enough bars to keep your repressed anger at Kirksville for not having the above repressed. Oh, and Kirksville seems to get a 'record snow' every other year, so that is definitely an issue for some, me included.

None of us can really know what we are in for when we move towns, its always a gamble. I know what I am walking into and I still wonder if moving from K-Vegas, to Kansas City, back to K-Vegas is really the best move, but the education is excellent and since i'm HPSP my scholarship money will go a hell of a lot farther in Kirksville than Chicago.

Sorry to hijack the thread, read it it seems a lot of people are having to decide between KCOM or another school, and since i have spent more time there than most of the KCOM students, just wanted to throw in my $.02.

And to agree with saholden, some parts of Kirksville are scarier than the most backwards mountains of deep Georgia (read Squidbillies, awesome cartoon) but most of Kirksville is poor, undereducated, extremely nice people who live simply and appreciate KCOM students.

+1 for the alternate list. interviewed 1/6 and letter is dated 3/3. long wait just to find out more waiting... :cool:

I spent 5 years as an undergraduate in Kirksville and I would say the number one rule of Kirksville is you have to make your own entertainment. Sure there are some annual events (Round Barn Blues, food festivals), seasonal events (farmers market late spring through early fall) and more enough bars to keep your repressed anger at Kirksville for not having the above repressed. Oh, and Kirksville seems to get a 'record snow' every other year, so that is definitely an issue for some, me included.

None of us can really know what we are in for when we move towns, its always a gamble. I know what I am walking into and I still wonder if moving from K-Vegas, to Kansas City, back to K-Vegas is really the best move, but the education is excellent and since i'm HPSP my scholarship money will go a hell of a lot farther in Kirksville than Chicago.

Sorry to hijack the thread, read it it seems a lot of people are having to decide between KCOM or another school, and since i have spent more time there than most of the KCOM students, just wanted to throw in my $.02.

And to agree with saholden, some parts of Kirksville are scarier than the most backwards mountains of deep Georgia (read Squidbillies, awesome cartoon) but most of Kirksville is poor, undereducated, extremely nice people who live simply and appreciate KCOM students.

I am going to have to disagree with you and saholden. I have not found anything scary or "backwards" in Kirksville. I also do not believe that "most of Kirksville is poor and undereducated." I have met some of the nicest people here in Kirksville and am amazed at the insight they can bring to many situations.

The town does not have an excess of things to do that a big city might have, but for the size I think there are enough to choose from with the limited time you have in school anyway.

I do agree that the community appreciates KCOM students, but not in the sense that it's because they are "simple people". It's because they are part of a great community and support the KCOM program.

I am going to have to disagree with you and saholden. I have not found anything scary or "backwards" in Kirksville. I also do not believe that "most of Kirksville is poor and undereducated." I have met some of the nicest people here in Kirksville and am amazed at the insight they can bring to many situations.

The town does not have an excess of things to do that a big city might have, but for the size I think there are enough to choose from with the limited time you have in school anyway.

I do agree that the community appreciates KCOM students, but not in the sense that it's because they are "simple people". It's because they are part of a great community and support the KCOM program.

My language was a little rough around the edges and I certainly hope I don't start a flame war here. Alot of my one on one Kirksvillian experience comes from managing a bar for 2 years in Kirksville and hearing what they really think about certain things after a few drinks. I like Kirksville, but it just didn't surprise me that someone, especially with darker skin, could have a bad interaction with someone in kirksville (but that statement is true of most of the planet in one regard or another). My post was suppose to convey that Kirksville has it's crazies, maybe more than some people coming to KCOM are use to (Again, read squidbillies), but that the town overall is strong and supports higher education and the people who pursue it.

As to the poor and undereducated line, Kirksville's poverty rate in 2009 was about 36%, where the national average was 14% ( http://www.city-data.com/city/Kirksville-Missouri.html A good read) and you better believe some of that poverty translates into under education (read failure to complete high school).

Sorry to hijack, I just didn't want anyone thinking I was hating on Kirksville. I was just giving my opinion on the situation in K-Vegas.

Mahalo,

MB

Sidenote: Go over to http://www.smbc-comics.com/ to cure all your wait list blues. Just keep hitting random!

tumblr_lgt0ffJxao1qzwtdlo1_500.gif

Interviewed on Valentines day :love: and still haven't heard anything back. I see that some of you who interviewed with me have received letters...I'm planning to check the mail for a few more days and if nothing arrives I'll make the call to follow up.

Anyone else from VDay interview receive news yet?

Interviewed on Valentines day :love: and still haven't heard anything back. I see that some of you who interviewed with me have received letters...I'm planning to check the mail for a few more days and if nothing arrives I'll make the call to follow up.

Anyone else from VDay interview receive news yet?

Still nothing huh?.....well, I'd call them at this point..the process has been draining enough, might as well try to put your mind at ease...any sort of exchange with someone from the school should help...at least a little. Best of luck! :xf:

Still nothing huh?.....well, I'd call them at this point..the process has been draining enough, might as well try to put your mind at ease...any sort of exchange with someone from the school should help...at least a little. Best of luck! :xf:

Received my letter yesterday that I have been selected as an alternate :thumbup:. Now, what do we know about the alt status? Did you call to find out where you were at on the list?

Received my letter yesterday that I have been selected as an alternate :thumbup:. Now, what do we know about the alt status? Did you call to find out where you were at on the list?

Well, as far as I know they don't keep a ranked list or at least they say they don't rank alternates :p. I am an alternate at another school and when there is an opening in the class each alternate gets a fair bid at it...the committee considers each one. My guess was that KCOM did about the same...I'm not sure....I am at work today but I can put in a phone call tomorrow and ask for the details..unless anyone else on here knows just how it works? :) Best of luck..hope I'll be seeing you in the fall!

Well, as far as I know they don't keep a ranked list or at least they say they don't rank alternates :p. I am an alternate at another school and when there is an opening in the class each alternate gets a fair bid at it...the committee considers each one. My guess was that KCOM did about the same...I'm not sure....I am at work today but I can put in a phone call tomorrow and ask for the details..unless anyone else on here knows just how it works? :) Best of luck..hope I'll be seeing you in the fall!

I just called yesterday about the alternate list. Megan in admissions told me that it is not likely to get offered a seat this year if you're on the alternate list. The "accepted seat pending" list will get any seats that become availible before the alternate list is even looked at. If they get to the alternate list (which would be by mid-summer) they will begin calling people to first verify that they are still interested. However, in the past years only a few alternates were taken if any at all :( Sorry that my first post is such bad news to a few of you. P.s. I'm an alternate too if you haven't figured it out.

I just called yesterday about the alternate list. Megan in admissions told me that it is not likely to get offered a seat this year if you're on the alternate list. The "accepted seat pending" list will get any seats that become availible before the alternate list is even looked at. If they get to the alternate list (which would be by mid-summer) they will begin calling people to first verify that they are still interested. However, in the past years only a few alternates were taken if any at all :( Sorry that my first post is such bad news to a few of you. P.s. I'm an alternate too if you haven't figured it out.

Thanks for the info! Well, at least an alternate status is a little less upsetting than a rejection..I'll apply earlier next year :oops:

I called the KCOM admissions office today to find out more info about this alternate situation. I was told that the movement on the list is cycle dependent. Last year only a few off the list were offered a seat but the year before, everyone on the list was offered a seat. Most of the movement will occur in June/July along with the first two major payment deadlines and many MD schools sending out their acceptances. They also said that they would be in touch to with everyone on the alternate list as it begins to move, to make sure that we are still interested in a seat if one becomes available.

Good luck to all the alternates!

I called the KCOM admissions office today to find out more info about this alternate situation. I was told that the movement on the list is cycle dependent. Last year only a few off the list were offered a seat but the year before, everyone on the list was offered a seat. Most of the movement will occur in June/July along with the first two major payment deadlines and many MD schools sending out their acceptances. They also said that they would be in touch to with everyone on the alternate list as it begins to move, to make sure that we are still interested in a seat if one becomes available.

Good luck to all the alternates!

Greetings all, I interviewed on 2/7 and my status at KCOM is "accepted pending seat availability"

Blueberry-
I'm afraid that you have the alternate list confused with the accepted pending seat availability (APSA). The reality is what Daniel Boone stated a couple entries prior. Last year the alternate list WAS NOT utilized at all. This is because there weren't even enough seats available for the accepted pending seat availability students. The APSA's get seats before they even begin to look at the alternate list. 2 years ago all of the APSA's were offered seats and afterward several of the alternate list students were accepted.

All schools do their wait lists and alternate lists different. However, with the way that KCOM is arranged alternate listers have a very slim chance of being accepted... Because of the accepted pending seat availability, the alternate list simply does not move very much if at all. If you are an alternate, and you haven't been accepted elsewhere I would get ready to reapply in May. Retake the MCAT or do whatever you can to strengthen the weak points in your application.

For those of you who still have not heard back, this is probably good news! If KCOM is your top choice I would email the people you interviewed with (even if you already sent them a thx you email) and let them know that KCOM is your top choice and that you will enroll if accepted. Be brief and thank them again for their time and consideration.

KCOM's class is currently full for this year, so the best you can expect at this point in the game is an accepted pending seat availability. With this status you are guaranteed a seat for 2012 if one does not become available in 2011.

I know this is bad news for some of you, however if you received an interview you are a strong candidate. Remain productive and keep your head high. Worst case scenario is that you have to reapply again next year, and I'd do it as early as possible. Additionally, if you do reapply you should completely redo your application (even if you really liked your 1st one) and have NEW experiences to talk about and bring to the table. :thumbup:

Best of luck to all! Remember that many students have to apply more than once. However, your 2nd application is typically your last stand, unless significant changes are made for your 3rd application cycle (higher MCAT by several points etc).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how do you know this?

This is what I was told about 2 weeks ago when I got my acceptance email from Donna Sparks. Additionally, I received more information from talking with the assistant dean of admissions. KCOM currently has enough acceptances (and deposits) out to fill the class and then they have even more students on the "accepted pending seat availability" (like me)...
Last year not all students on the accepted pending seat availability status were able to be offered a seat in that years class (thus the alternate list was never utilized). 2 years ago, all students on the accepted pending seat availability were able to be offered seats in that years class and then the alternate list was utilized. I'm sure you've heard before, but it varies year-to-year. However, because KCOM has an accepted pending seat availability status the # of students pulled off of the alternate list are low if any at all... This is different than other schools I know about. For instance OUCOM only has those who are accepted and wait listed. Their wait list ( or alternate list) moves a decent amount every year...
Either way movement will occur from May 15th - start of school. Don't give up all hope! There is still a chance. I just saying that if you're not already accepted somewhere or are on multiple wait lists, you should be prepared to reapply again next year.
***Best of luck to all in the med school draft***

Last edited:
Accepted, Pending for seat. Fingers crossed.
Good luck to ppl still waiting/interviewing/waitlisted!

Congrats Mythic and welcome to the accepted pending group!!! :soexcited:
Medico- has some helpful info if you haven't seen it yet:

Last year I was in the same boat as DrTnT and some of you (Accepted pending opening, Class of 2014 or 2015). What they will do in a few months is send out an email asking if anybody was willing to roll over to the next year's class voluntarily (I decided to do just that, for a multitude of reasons). I know that doesn't help you all a lot right now, I just wanted to give you a heads up about what would be coming your way if you don't get a spot in the next few months. Hey, and if nothing does open up, don't worry! That's a whole extra year you get to tell people you are going to med school without having to actually be in med school :laugh:

Mahalo,

MB

Any 3/11 interviewees on here? I swear, we were one diverse group.

awfully quiet round these parts as well as the other kcom thread....no one has any questions? there are a couple 2nd and i think 1st years lurking on here...don't be shy.

awfully quiet round these parts as well as the other kcom thread....no one has any questions? there are a couple 2nd and i think 1st years lurking on here...don't be shy.

I'm always full of questions :)...I am currently an alternate and was thinking about sending in a letter reiterating my desire to go to the school. I do not have a lot of new activities but I can add that I will be finishing up my research and therefore my undergrad degree will be done...also, just talking about why KCOM is the right school for me..any other things I should include? Also, would it be better to do it through email or a regular letter?...I assume I will send it to the admissions person that I interviewed with?

I'm a kcom 2015 'pending a spot' person. Could anyone be more specific about when we could be hearing about availability in this year's class? Someone on here said in a couple weeks we'll be getting an email asking if people want to defer...I'm just getting nervous about finding housing so late in the game...and I just want to know what I'm doing next year...

1. An interest letter never hurts, just talk about why you like the school, why its a good fit, give your updates...Email or regular mail I think would be fine.

2. There is always some sort of housing available in Kirksville. The places right across the street will be taken up quickly but don't worry about not finding a decent place. They always seem to be building around here too.

Does anyone have a link for kcom's 3rd and 4th year rotation sites? I looked at something on kcom's website but the list seemed a lot shorter than what they showed us at the interview...thanks!

Does anyone have a link for kcom's 3rd and 4th year rotation sites? I looked at something on kcom's website but the list seemed a lot shorter than what they showed us at the interview...thanks!

www.atsu.edu/rotationguide

Any accepted students getting a place at Med Row? I would love to know who the new neighbors are going to be next year!

I'm a kcom 2015 'pending a spot' person. Could anyone be more specific about when we could be hearing about availability in this year's class? Someone on here said in a couple weeks we'll be getting an email asking if people want to defer...I'm just getting nervous about finding housing so late in the game...and I just want to know what I'm doing next year...

For accepted students, our next deposit is due April 15, so I'm guessing you'll probably be getting some news shortly after that.

They added 2 more interview dates for this cycle, and I got one today for April 29th! Better late than never I say :p

They added 2 more interview dates for this cycle, and I got one today for April 29th! Better late than never I say :p

ha....at the rate they're going, they'll have enough people to fill the entering class of '12 too....Best of luck! :)