ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone with an interview received confirmation from KCOM with their date? I haven't yet, and just curious... P.S. coming from Utah.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone with an interview received confirmation from KCOM with their date? I haven't yet, and just curious... P.S. coming from Utah.

Yes, I received an e-mail from KCOM shortly after submitting my interview date. It said "Thank you for submitting your interview request to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. We will be expecting you (on date I picked".

How long did it take for them to confirm you all as complete after you submitted the secondary and LORs...i called them, and they said they have everything, but they didn't email the confirmation number so I could view the full status and my evaluations still say "Application in Process"

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for them to confirm you all as complete after you submitted the secondary and LORs...i called them, and they said they have everything, but they didn't email the confirmation number so I could view the full status and my evaluations still say "Application in Process"

I submitted my secondary and LORs on Aug 5. Everything still says "application in process"

INTERVIEW 10/6 YES!!!!!! Also one of my top choices, my LOR Doctor went to school at KCOM and had nothing but positive things to say about the school and community.

I'm having mixed thoughts about whether or not I should go to my KCOM interview. I'm from a big city in Canada (over 1 mil) and don't know if I will be able to adjust to the small city of Kirksville.

For those offered interviews, why do YOU want to go to KCOM?

I'm having mixed thoughts about whether or not I should go to my KCOM interview. I'm from a big city in Canada (over 1 mil) and don't know if I will be able to adjust to the small city of Kirksville.

For those offered interviews, why do YOU want to go to KCOM?

My husband is a KCOM grad, though I didn't live in Kirksville with him because we met during his 3rd year. Keep in mind, you're only there for two years, then you'll go to a bigger city for rotations. Yes, the town is small, and there's not much to do. But there is at least a bar and a couple restaurants. There's not much to distract you from studying. Plus if you want you can live within walking distance of the school. It's not for everyone but I like that's it's a small community.

i want to go because it is about 2 1/2 hours from my hometown. It is close enough to drive home for medium occasions (like a parent's birthday or a nephew's baptism) and not just the major things like christmas. it is also a smaller town. it isn't terribly small though. it is a college town. it also holds truman state university, so it is a college town. It has about 17,500 people per the consensus. There are goods and bads. One bad I see is the parochial schools are lacking which probably wouldn't pertain to you.

Most importantly though, if you want a city feel, even a small one, KCOM will not be that.

INTERVIEW 10/6 YES!!!!!! Also one of my top choices, my LOR Doctor went to school at KCOM and had nothing but positive things to say about the school and community.

Same here! My LOR doctor went here like 40 heres ago and he said it's a wonderful school. One of the original DO schools I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a rejection letter in the mail on Friday. I have other interview invites, but I liked Kirksville because I could go back to my hometown for 3rd and 4th year. Oh well.

Just got a rejection letter in the mail on Friday. I have other interview invites, but I liked Kirksville because I could go back to my hometown for 3rd and 4th year. Oh well.

Sorry to hear that, but best of luck at your other interviews!

About how long did it take after sending your secondary for KCOM to receive and verify it... and send the email containing your portal information?? I submitted mine on Thursday, and I still don't have anything.

Quick question... how long did it take to get the confirmation code? I sent my secondary and letters in on 8/9 and it still says my letters are processing. Did this happen to anyone else? I left a message today and have not heard back yet. If I don't hear anything by tonight, I'll send an e-mail...

About how long did it take after sending your secondary for KCOM to receive and verify it... and send the email containing your portal information?? I submitted mine on Thursday, and I still don't have anything.

Quick question... how long did it take to get the confirmation code? I sent my secondary and letters in on 8/9 and it still says my letters are processing. Did this happen to anyone else? I left a message today and have not heard back yet. If I don't hear anything by tonight, I'll send an e-mail...

It takes them a while to process it. I sent in mine 8/5. I called a few days later and they said they had everything, but I didn't get the confirmation # until the 8/16.

Awwww yeaaaa....

Interview Invite! I was complete at KCOM on 8/17. Havent decided on a date yet.. they only offered two dates (10/13) and (10/20) and both of them suck for me. I petitioned via email for a different date. We'll see how that goes.

Interview invite as well!! Interviewing 10/13. I dont know how I feel about a town of 17,000...my undergrad college was bigger than that..
But the DO that wrote my LOR went here and loved it so I guess we'll see!

Interview invite as well!! Interviewing 10/13. I dont know how I feel about a town of 17,000...my undergrad college was bigger than that..
But the DO that wrote my LOR went here and loved it so I guess we'll see!

Same here, the DO who wrote my LOR went to ATSU.

So there are only 17,000 people in Kirksville? I'm used to the big city so it might take some getting used to. For those who know Kirksville, what do you think of living there?

Same here, the DO who wrote my LOR went to ATSU.

So there are only 17,000 people in Kirksville? I'm used to the big city so it might take some getting used to. For those who know Kirksville, what do you think of living there?

I interviewed there last year, I didn't think it was too bad... That being said, I did my undergrad in Maryville, MO (opposite side of the state) and thought that the towns were comparable. I felt like for the size of the town they had a good deal of stuff as far as stores and places to eat.

And it looks like I will be returning for a repeat... Interview invite last night. Earliest date avaliable was 10/20. Anyone else looking at going this date?

And it looks like I will be returning for a repeat... Interview invite last night. Earliest date avaliable was 10/20. Anyone else looking at going this date?

Same here. Not sure if I want to go on a Monday, Thursday or Friday.

Same here. Not sure if I want to go on a Monday, Thursday or Friday.

I went on a Monday last year because it was more convenient to miss my Monday classes... but this year its a party any day of the week since I don't have any classes, just work.

Now the dilemma is whether to get a hotel room or get up and drive there the morning of... I live in Des Moines, so... probably will get a hotel room.

I plan on leaving the morning of and stoppiing at a gas station just north of kirksviille and suiting up. I drive for a living though so it iisnt a big deal to drive down, spend all day and drive back. And I'm broke.

I plan on leaving the morning of and stoppiing at a gas station just north of kirksviille and suiting up. I drive for a living though so it iisnt a big deal to drive down, spend all day and drive back. And I'm broke.

Well wakey wakey eggs and bacey Frky! Are you going to leave DSM around 4:45?!

yeah about there. also doing the same for my KCUMB interview. Save the money, spend time with the family, and listen to a book on the way down while rehearsing some of the answers.

anybody know where we send lor's to using interfolio?I can not find that info anywhere!

anybody know where we send lor's to using interfolio?I can not find that info anywhere!

Go to deliveries --> Add delivery --> There should be a box that says specify destination, you can type KCOM or A.T. Still (make sure you pick KVille not Mesa) and then add the letters you want.

Go to deliveries --> Add delivery --> There should be a box that says specify destination, you can type KCOM or A.T. Still (make sure you pick KVille not Mesa) and then add the letters you want.

Thanks, I am not kidding I have tried that a million times the last 2 days and it just kept say oops something went wrong with your search. Of course right when I read your response I tried it again and sure enough.....up popped A.T. Stills....figures. Thanks again!

Hey...waiting for my file to complete. Just checking my stats. I have a 3.7 cum GPA 3.9 sci GPA and a 29S MCAT. Ive worked 2.5 years in medical research with a few publications under my belt, along with varied shadowing and volunteering experinces...Chances?

Last edited:
Hey...waiting for my file to complete. Just checking my stats. I have a 3.7 cum GPA 3.9 sci GPA and a 29S MCAT. Ive worked 2.5 years in medical research with a few publications under my belt, along with varied shadowing and volunteering experinces...Chances?

Pretty good. I got an interview. My MCAT is a little higher than yours but your gpa is way higher than mine.

Scheduled my interview for 11/3. I pretty much spaced all my interviews out to be two weeks apart since work is gonna nail my ass if I take a bunch of days off in a row.

Scheduled my interview for 11/3. I pretty much spaced all my interviews out to be two weeks apart since work is gonna nail my ass if I take a bunch of days off in a row.

Darn... I was kinda hoping I would see someone from SDN there, anyone planning on 10/20? Friendship? Ha.

Interview invite! :)

Scheduled it for 11/3 as well. See you there, Dr. Wily!

Last edited:
i want to go because it is about 2 1/2 hours from my hometown. It is close enough to drive home for medium occasions (like a parent's birthday or a nephew's baptism) and not just the major things like christmas. it is also a smaller town. it isn't terribly small though. it is a college town. it also holds truman state university, so it is a college town. It has about 17,500 people per the consensus. There are goods and bads. One bad I see is the parochial schools are lacking which probably wouldn't pertain to you.

Most importantly though, if you want a city feel, even a small one, KCOM will not be that.

My gf is graduating with her BSRN in a few months, and our only reservation about moving to the middle of a very small town is minimal job prospects for her as a new-grad nurse.

KCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM why haven't i heard anything from you yettt??!! :( :oops:
btw, about how many interviews (out of the total applications) does KCOM give?

According to US news:

3478 applicants
482 interviewed
386 accepted
172 enrolled

and since you are from Canada...

78 international applicants
9 interviewed
7 accepted
2 enrolled

If anyone needs stats for other schools, I can take a look and get back to you (PM me).

Last edited:

I called them today since nothing has changed for me online in a LONG time. If it helps ease anybody's mind I was under review as of 8/4 and the lady I spoke with told me I should hear a decision soon, definitely by the end of the month (tho I'm hoping sooner!).

Just received an interview invite. I was complete since 7/4 and finally received an invite. Unfortunately, I am not going to be attending the interview since I've already been accepted elsewhere. Hopefully someone else gets my spot.

Just received an interview invite. I was complete since 7/4 and finally received an invite. Unfortunately, I am not going to be attending the interview since I've already been accepted elsewhere. Hopefully someone else gets my spot.

How did you receive your invite (phone, e-mail)?