BU advanced standing 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When Boston send the invites. How many batches are done till now

3 batches done next 2-3 batch already invited

Members don't see this ad :)
How many batches have been interviewed till now?? Any idea??

Can someone who got an interview already tell us how many people per batch are invited per batch? pls??

10 in my batch as well. Until now 4 batches should have been interviewed. Still waiting... Hopefully by next week BU should start accepting candidates.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
10 in my batch as well. Until now 4 batches should have been interviewed. Still waiting... Hopefully by next week BU should start accepting candidates.

can you tell us the dates of these batches plz
I know 1st Oct and 8th Oct.
what are the others dates?

All I was under the impression that applications for the BU are still nt open , surprised that application have been going on since March. I dont see the submit button on CAAPID admission for the program. Can anyone please suggest what might be wrong?

Regards

Hi, I 'm still struggling with my Toefl.

My start is

NBDE Part 1: Pass
Toefl: 99 (but my speaking is only 20, is it too low?)
GPA: 3.5
Shadowing in a US private clinic for 3 months
BD & MD in Dentistry

I 'm going to take Toefl again, so I will apply for BU in Nov, is it too late? Do they really focus on Toefl scores?
I wud suggest apply first and then update toefl score. Gud luck!

Thanks everybody. I submitted my application to CAAPID on June 4. I received my under review application email on September 2 and yesterday I got the invitation to the interview email.
My stats are:
Toefl: 96
NBDE: part 1
GPA: 3.86
1 year dental assisting in the USA

Hi Dr!! I think that Toefl 100 is mandatory for BU.. Are you sure they accept scores in around 96-99.. This is not to discourage you just out of curiosity.

Hi Dr!! I think that Toefl 100 is mandatory for BU.. Are you sure they accept scores in around 96-99.. This is not to discourage you just out of curiosity.

Hi Gumcp: I disagree. BU stated on their website 100 is the competitive score for TOEFL and they posted there minimum requirements on each subtest which is Listening 18, Reading 21, Speaking 23, Writing 22. That makes the total score 84. They used the word competitive score because of the high influx of applicants and it does not say minimum requirement for TOEFL.

Hi Gumcp: I disagree. BU stated on their website 100 is the competitive score for TOEFL and they posted there minimum requirements on each subtest which is Listening 18, Reading 21, Speaking 23, Writing 22. That makes the total score 84. They used the word competitive score because of the high influx of applicants and it does not say minimum requirement for TOEFL.
I hate to disagree, but the BU Advanced standing dental program has a minimum cumulative ibt score of 100 for TOEFL, those minimums you mention are just minimums for each section, it has nothing to do with the cumulative score. So for example, you score perfect 30 on 3 subjects but got a 0 on the last one, by your definition then that score would be valid (because it is a 90). Unfortunately these schools are smarter than that and they closed that loophole.

Fun fact: The average score of advanced standing applicants is 104ibt.

My information is coming from emails BU has sent me in previous years of applying. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
That's not true.
I know apllicants scoring in 70s and are a part of advanced standing. Same way ece 2.5, nbde part 1 pass(second attempt) part 2( not passed).
So I would say don't assume and go ahead and apply to BU. Make sure whenv you get supplemental, submit it rightaway

That's not true.
I know apllicants scoring in 70s and are a part of advanced standing. Same way ece 2.5, nbde part 1 pass(second attempt) part 2( not passed).
So I would say don't assume and go ahead and apply to BU. Make sure whenv you get supplemental, submit it rightaway
Thats the thing, I am not "assuming" this is what BU has sent in the past years. I don't believe in hearsay, this is specifically what BU has sent me.

I really wish what you were saying applied to me because all of my stats are better than that and Ive never gotten an interview.

I hate to disagree, but the BU Advanced standing dental program has a minimum cumulative ibt score of 100 for TOEFL, those minimums you mention are just minimums for each section, it has nothing to do with the cumulative score. So for example, you score perfect 30 on 3 subjects but got a 0 on the last one, by your definition then that score would be valid (because it is a 90). Unfortunately these schools are smarter than that and they closed that loophole.

My information is coming from emails BU has sent me in previous years of applying. Good luck to all!

Yeah!! It's hard to accept but I think it's true!!

I don't understand your point? So you mean that BU informed you that there minimum cumulative ibt is 100? This statement alone is contradicting. By definition cumulative means increased/increasing by means of successive addition. Minimum score is what I explained earlier. It is the minimum score in EACH subtest and when you add those scores in each test it's the cumulative score. If you disagree how did they explain to you and calculate that score you are talking about? Don't you think if they have minimum TOEFL score they would write on their website, like Harvard, Pittsburgh and etc, they specifically write their minimum TOEFL requirements as 100.
Would you kindly explain what loophole are you talking about?

It's my first time applying to an Advanced Standing program so any information not written on their website would be highly appreciated.

The average TOEFL ibt score at Upenn is 102 (in 2013, Average score of foreign trained dentists that applied to a residency program at Upenn) and again this is an average and not the minimum requirement.

Just in case, you are wondering, I'm from Northern Europe, graduated from an Endodontic residency from Upenn July, 2015. I have research experience, published 2 articles on a peer reviewed journal. Passed part 1 & 2, my TOEFL cumulative ibt score is 113 and a GPA of 4.0, I have 10 years of experience in private practice, and 3 years in public. A lot of volunteering work in different countries.

Last edited:
Hi anybody know,What BU asks in the inteview

Hey sterioperio,
Don't just rely on whats written on websites. There is lots more that go into it. You will eventually realize that. If yours stats you think are good, then work on your personal statement. You may google search for english proofreaders or english tutors around your area and seek their help writing one for you. Same goes for CV and lors. Also prepare yourself well for bench exam by taking coaching;it really helps.
Good luck!

Thank you!! That's correct!!!

can you tell us the dates of these batches plz
I know 1st Oct and 8th Oct.
what are the others dates?

October 15 was the third batch and I am assuming October 22 was the 4th batch. I believe that interviews are every Thursday for the AS.

I don't understand your point? So you mean that BU informed you that there minimum cumulative ibt is 100? This statement alone is contradicting. By definition cumulative means increased/increasing by means of successive addition. Minimum score is what I explained earlier. It is the minimum score in EACH subtest and when you add those scores in each test it's the cumulative score. If you disagree how did they explain to you and calculate that score you are talking about? Don't you think if they have minimum TOEFL score they would write on their website, like Harvard, Pittsburgh and etc, they specifically write their minimum TOEFL requirements as 100.
Would you kindly explain what loophole are you talking about?

It's my first time applying to an Advanced Standing program so any information not written on their website would be highly appreciated.

The average TOEFL ibt score at Upenn is 102 (in 2013, Average score of foreign trained dentists that applied to a residency program at Upenn) and again this is an average and not the minimum requirement.

Just in case, you are wondering, I'm from Northern Europe, graduated from an Endodontic residency from Upenn July, 2015. I have research experience, published 2 articles on a peer reviewed journal. Passed part 1 & 2, my TOEFL cumulative ibt score is 113 and a GPA of 4.0, I have 10 years of experience in private practice, and 3 years in public. A lot of volunteering work in different countries.

Im sorry if you dont understand, but this isnt my personal opinion (i repeat again) this is what BU sent me last year. I don't speak unless ai know it is true. Here is the exact wording in that email.

Score Guidelines

Each application to the Advanced Standing Program is considered for admission. While there are no required minimum scores, those applicants who are the most competitive have the following results:

NBDE Part I: www.ada.org

Passage of the NBDE Part I is required. Part II is not required.

TOEFL: www.ets.org

The TOEFL is required of all applicants whose native language is not English, and whose language of instruction was not English. The average iBT TOEFL score for enrolling students is 104.

TOEFL minimum requirements

Listening

Reading

Speaking

Writing

Minimum cumulative iBT score

iBT (Internet-based TOEFL)

Min. 18

Min. 21

Min. 23

Min. 22

Note: Because of the intensive use of English in the Advanced Standing DMD Program, the admissions minimum cumulative iBT score requirement is above the university’s minimum.

Applicants are required to self-report their TOEFL scores through the CAAPID online application. Do not send official TOEFL score reports to CAAPID as they will not be accepted. Do not send official TOEFL score reports to Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine at the time of your application. (IELTS scores are not considered.)

ECE GPA: www.ece.org

Submit an official ECE course-by-course dental transcript evaluation directly to CAAPID. (WES evaluations will not be considered by the Admissions Committee.) Applicants will be required to self-report their ECE GPAs through the CAAPID online application. Because of the differences in various countries’ educational systems and training, citing a minimum GPA is difficult, but applicants who are most competitive generally have a GPA of 3.4 or higher.

Supplemental Materials

If you wish to send additional letters of recommendation, or other supporting materials, such as an updated CV or resume, please send the documents as PDF attachments to an e-mail. Furthermore, if you are sending more than one letter or CV, please send them as one single PDF. This will reduce the lag time it takes to process your application.

Given the large volume of materials received by the Admissions office, staff may not be able to acknowledge individual messages which contain attachments. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Hi Stereoperio,

You just confirmed everything what I wrote. There's nothing here that states there's a minimum requirement of 100.They wrote 100, meaning to remain competitive and it does not mean minimum nor average and as you wrote or they wrote to you the following note under the TOEFL section the ff:

Note: Because of the intensive use of English in the Advanced Standing DMD Program, the admissions minimum cumulative iBT score requirement is above the university’s minimum.

Meaning the BU DENTAL SCHOOL has a higher requirement compared to Boston University itself and they did not specify what it is. So to end this conversation, TOEFL is not the sole criteria there basing their admission upon, like The Lone Molar was saying. There are different factors.

No one said you're lying Stereoperio. I just hope you the best and I wish you luck.

Score Guidelines

Each application to the Advanced Standing Program is considered for admission. While there are no required minimum scores, those applicants who are the most competitive have the following results:

NBDE Part I: www.ada.org

Passage of the NBDE Part I is required. Part II is not required.

TOEFL: www.ets.org

The TOEFL is required of all applicants whose native language is not English, and whose language of instruction was not English. The average iBT TOEFL score for enrolling students is 104.

TOEFL minimum requirements

Listening

Reading

Speaking

Writing

Minimum cumulative iBT score

iBT (Internet-based TOEFL)

Min. 18

Min. 21

Min. 23

Min. 22

Applicants are required to self-report their TOEFL scores through the CAAPID online application. Do not send official TOEFL score reports to CAAPID as they will not be accepted. Do not send official TOEFL score reports to Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine at the time of your application. (IELTS scores are not considered.)

ECE GPA: www.ece.org

Submit an official ECE course-by-course dental transcript evaluation directly to CAAPID. (WES evaluations will not be considered by the Admissions Committee.) Applicants will be required to self-report their ECE GPAs through the CAAPID online application. Because of the differences in various countries’ educational systems and training, citing a minimum GPA is difficult, but applicants who are most competitive generally have a GPA of 3.4 or higher.

Supplemental Materials

If you wish to send additional letters of recommendation, or other supporting materials, such as an updated CV or resume, please send the documents as PDF attachments to an e-mail. Furthermore, if you are sending more than one letter or CV, please send them as one single PDF. This will reduce the lag time it takes to process your application.

Given the large volume of materials received by the Admissions office, staff may not be able to acknowledge individual messages which contain attachments. Your patience is very much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Does anyone of you who applied in August get any updates on their status?

do we have to include in the supplemental documents any update?

Anyone who got waitlisted at BU last year and reapplied this year (like me)?

when were you guys interviewed last year? I mean in October and November or January and February.

I was waitlisted too last cycle. I interviewed in feb