Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How doable is it to maintain a 3.5? I noticed that was the stipulation for the Dean's Scholarship. I am trying to decide between here and VCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Got an II yesterday! 3.4/3.3/27 (7,12,8).

Really excited about this school. I like that it's rural, but close to a large city. I did a cross-country road trip a few weeks ago, stopped at VCOM-VA, LMU-DCOM, ACOM, and VCOM-Auburn just to get a feel for the areas. LMU was a bit too rural for me, so CUSOM seems like a great fit in terms of the location. Plus, I love North Carolina. Such a nice part of the country.

Does anyone have any idea if there's going to be an opportunity for research? I know that CUSOM is not focused in that area, just curious. I'm more interested in clinical research than bench research, if that matters.
what dates did they give you to chose from....if you don't mind me asking

I love everything about this school and want to deposit. I'm just having a tough time getting past the whole mandatory attendance thing. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I love everything about this school and want to deposit. I'm just having a tough time getting past the whole mandatory attendance thing. :(
You can do other things during lecture. Sometimes, I study other subjects, etc.

How doable is it to maintain a 3.5? I noticed that was the stipulation for the Dean's Scholarship. I am trying to decide between here and VCOM.
It's not impossible, but you'd definitely have to be doing better than the class average which is usually in the high 70s for each class.

It's not impossible, but you'd definitely have to be doing better than the class average which is usually in the high 70s for each class.
so the class averages are usually C's? is that what most people end up with for the block grades?

so the class averages are usually C's? is that what most people end up with for the block grades?
I'd say so. This is purely a guess based off of what I've seen from the test results. The overall test average is usually in the high 70s. But the for some classes you have to factor in other things such as lab and assignments. I'd say the class average sits somewhere around a 3.0, maybe a little lower. It's just how medical school is. You'll have an easier time if you'd had material from some of these classes before.

Each professor also curves his or her class at the end of the block after looking at the statistics.

I'd say so. This is purely a guess based off of what I've seen from the test results. The overall test average is usually in the high 70s. But the for some classes you have to factor in other things such as lab and assignments. I'd say the class average sits somewhere around a 3.0, maybe a little lower. It's just how medical school is. You'll have an easier time if you'd had material from some of these classes before.

Each professor also curves his or her class at the end of the block after looking at the statistics.
thanks for the info!!

I'm an MS-2, and I would say that our class average is probably around 3.2 or so. Most people get Bs and for a few of the easier classes most people will get As. Our test averages are usually in the low 80s and the quizzes and other assignments usually boost the overall grade a bit.

I would say that the average for our first block last year was around 3.0 as well, but the averages went up a bit after that which is why I think ours is about 3.2 now. (First block is the hardest in my opinion, due to the adjustment period most people have)

Interview on 11/17! Flying in on the 15th around 5pm. Anybody else in the same boat? Or have any cheap ways of getting from RDU to Buies Creek?

Interview on 11/17! Flying in on the 15th around 5pm. Anybody else in the same boat? Or have any cheap ways of getting from RDU to Buies Creek?
cheapest is to rent a car, it's too long for a taxi

Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972734.957872.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972759.840730.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412972781.608243.jpg

Just submitted my secondary. fingers crossed!! :) feeling anxious since so many people are getting ii's on here.

Just submitted my secondary. fingers crossed!! :) feeling anxious since so many people are getting ii's on here.

Still considered ~very-late-early to mid stage of DO cycle. Good luck (Taken reference).

Reactions: 1 users
First post...received the call from Joy this morning...accepted!!!

II on 10/6...3.7/28

Loved everyone and everything I saw. Patient simulators were awesome, the lecture hall with the mic-sensitive camera was crazy, and a golf course in the backyard?! Fellow interviewers were wonderful as well -- I hope to see some of you guys and gals next year!

Reactions: 1 users
Just getting ready to submit my secondary now...

I've been hesitant because it's so new, but I've been hearing great things so far. Couple of questions to those who know more about CUSOM than I do...

First off, I've heard they screen pre-secondary pretty hard. Any clue what the odds are like to receive an ii if you've got a secondary - how about an acceptance if you get an interview?

Secondly, I don't know much of what this school is looking for by way of candidates....I'm a non-trad with a 3.5/3.3/3.9 postbacc gpa/30 mcat. How competitive do you think I'll be here?

I've been hesitant because it's so new, but I've been hearing great things so far. Couple of questions to those who know more about CUSOM than I do...

First off, I've heard they screen pre-secondary pretty hard. Any clue what the odds are like to receive an ii if you've got a secondary - how about an acceptance if you get an interview?

Secondly, I don't know much of what this school is looking for by way of candidates....I'm a non-trad with a 3.5/3.3/3.9 postbacc gpa/30 mcat. How competitive do you think I'll be here?
I think you are pretty competitive here, I too am a non trad 3.6cgpa, 3.5sgpa and 28 mcat, I was accepted and will be attending next summer. Going strictly off of numbers you look good on paper. I haven't a clue with regards to your first question! Best of luck

You should be fine.

Complete here 10/15. 3.51/3.35/30 (11/9/10). Let's do it.

For those who were accepted and plan to matriculate here or save your seat, have you started your background check and drug test? I'm curious as to how long the process will take and if I should start it right away to meet the Nov 15th deadline. Obviously it would be better to do it right away, but I'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools.

For those who were accepted and plan to matriculate here or save your seat, have you started your background check and drug test? I'm curious as to how long the process will take and if I should start it right away to meet the Nov 15th deadline. Obviously it would be better to do it right away, but I'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools.
Yes, start soon just to be safe. Mine took about a week to complete.

I did my background check a couple weeks ago and did my drug screen today.

Anyone know if I should receive a confirmation email after submitting my secondary? About how long does that take?

for those that received the dean's scholarship or an offer for it, how long did you hear about it after you submitted your essay? thanks

Took maybe a week to get the results back. I just saw my primary care doc to look over the paperwork that he has to sign and fill out for me. The immunization part seems quite extensive, luckily I had them all done when I was younger. I still had to get a TB test and titers for a few things. Anyway, I know that part doesn't need to be done until March, but if you don't have all the immunizations already it could potentially take awhile to complete...

Took maybe a week to get the results back. I just saw my primary care doc to look over the paperwork that he has to sign and fill out for me. The immunization part seems quite extensive, luckily I had them all done when I was younger. I still had to get a TB test and titers for a few things. Anyway, I know that part doesn't need to be done until March, but if you don't have all the immunizations already it could potentially take awhile to complete...
The screens are quick but like you said the vaccinations take some time. Apparently I haven't had a lot them. Felt like a pin cushion the other day!

for those that received the dean's scholarship or an offer for it, how long did you hear about it after you submitted your essay? thanks
it doesn't take that long, a week I think? that's what i remember haha

this school is so great! encountered issues with my secondary and LOR's, and someone personally contacted me less than 5 days after sending in my secondary for both issues. so personable :happy::thumbup:

Another question for you - does everyone receive a scholarship? I was accepted (yay!), but haven't received any further information about the scholarships, and it's been almost 3 weeks.

Accepted! I got my call from Joy yesterday and I interviewed the day before that! Such a rapid turn around =]=]

Reactions: 2 users
For those with an upcoming interview, interview day is very relaxed and very conversational. Let your inner personality shine because I feel like they really look for that here! The campus is really nice, as would be expected from a brand new school. All of the faculty and staff were incredibly nice, and they really seemed to care about their students and applicants.

Submitted secondary the other day and marked as complete today. Anyone know about how long they take to reject/ii?

You can do other things during lecture. Sometimes, I study other subjects, etc.
Can you tell what the daily schedule is like? 8-5 M-F? And the quality of professors for most systems

For those with an upcoming interview, interview day is very relaxed and very conversational. Let your inner personality shine because I feel like they really look for that here! The campus is really nice, as would be expected from a brand new school. All of the faculty and staff were incredibly nice, and they really seemed to care about their students and applicants.
Congrats! I just want to ask if it three separate interviews or 3 Person interviewing one candidate at the same time? Thanks