Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is hard to stay in CA, but definitely not impossible. I was so worried I wouldn't get in that I applied to 25 schools... then I was accepted to UCI back in October, which was my first post-interview decision. After that I canceled my three oos interviews (ohio state, vermont, & MCW). Shortly after that I was accepted to UCD. I'm still waiting to hear back after my interview at UCSF too.

It is definitely a crap shoot, after three interview in CA, I was rejected pre-interview from UCLA. My point is you never know what will happen in CA, but it is definitely possible to get in here. On SDN, people stress how hard it is, but remember that plenty of people do get in here every year.
Rhino...we miss you...come back:(

Members don't see this ad.

Does it look very bad if I choose to send the lORs myself instead of through the committee?

Rhino...we miss you...come back:(

awe thanks Cougs. It is a little overwhelming to read everything I've missed. Although, I started work at 5 am yesterday and spent most of the morning trying :thumbup:.

For some reason, I tend to spend more time on SDN when I'm stressed and taking classes. Now that I've graduated and life is awesome my SDN activity has dropped haha.

Tomorrow, my gf and I are flying to vegas for three days. I can't wait! It's my first time flying Jetblue, so I'm looking forward to the in seat tv :). I saw you got another acceptance, which school is currently ranked at the top of your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it look very bad if I choose to send the lORs myself instead of through the committee?

my school doesn't have a committee, but I've heard that it does look bad if you don't use it if your schools has one. It looks like you have something to hide. Plus, schools like committee letters b/c it ranks you among peers at your school, which they find more useful than an average letter.

my school doesn't have a committee, but I've heard that it does look bad if you don't use it if your schools has one. It looks like you have something to hide. Plus, schools like committee letters b/c it ranks you among peers at your school, which they find more useful than an average letter.

Idk I don't like the category thing, of recommended, not recommended. Because I may have excellent LORs but the committee may give me a crappy letter. Reason is that the person in charge of the pre-medical thing is a little too "harsh", lets just say. I know the person told a friend that with a GPA of 3.4 should be looking for another career path because there is not way my friend is getting into a medical school

That would make a lot more sense, but I'm sort of an excel person ahaaha
So my columns go:

School Name
Avg GPA/sGPA
MCAT
State
R/A/S (Reach/Average/Safety)

So, my last column is kind of empty, because my GPA is not really close to the average GPA's (I would have a 3.6) so I'm going to start filling it in based on the scores I get on my MCAT practice tests.
For the states that are not CA (my home state), I'm putting in the % of OOS acceptance based on the MSAR.

so how's your prep for the MCAT going Venc? :thumbup:

I'm being a little over the top...I'm making .pdf's for my top ~10 schools....here's a sample if anyone is interested in doing something similar. don't judge me :cool:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...E4MjItMGNkNmRkMmM1YTIx&hl=en&authkey=CMqc56AG

I'm being a little over the top...I'm making .pdf's for my top ~10 schools....here's a sample if anyone is interested in doing something similar. don't judge me :cool:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...E4MjItMGNkNmRkMmM1YTIx&hl=en&authkey=CMqc56AG

I need to start doing this (probably will only manage to do it for all my state school)! Just need to get this out somewhere... It's 4:30 am and I'm so stressed out right now that I can't go to sleep lol. Started my MCAT studying today... 90 days left. Applied for big leadership position on campus... dunno how to feel about this one still. Declaring finally a double major. My molecular genetics book is the most boring thing on this world lol. And life has its usual drama... At least SDN reminds me that I'm not alone on this :D (From my 30+ premed friends, only 3 are actually going through the process this year :confused:)

It is hard to stay in CA, but definitely not impossible. I was so worried I wouldn't get in that I applied to 25 schools... then I was accepted to UCI back in October, which was my first post-interview decision. After that I canceled my three oos interviews (ohio state, vermont, & MCW). Shortly after that I was accepted to UCD. I'm still waiting to hear back after my interview at UCSF too.

It is definitely a crap shoot, after three interview in CA, I was rejected pre-interview from UCLA. My point is you never know what will happen in CA, but it is definitely possible to get in here. On SDN, people stress how hard it is, but remember that plenty of people do get in here every year.
Oh puhlease rhino! I wish I had your awesomeness. I mean, you have a CA school interview trifecta! SO cool! I am merely....averageish! lol but with hopes in my pocket, I'll be applying to something like 20-30 schools! Congrats though, hope vegas is AWESOME, and nice to be graduated :)

That is so....beautiful! :') I wish I had the time and desire to not be lazy to do that!

I need to start doing this (probably will only manage to do it for all my state school)! Just need to get this out somewhere... It's 4:30 am and I'm so stressed out right now that I can't go to sleep lol. Started my MCAT studying today... 90 days left. Applied for big leadership position on campus... dunno how to feel about this one still. Declaring finally a double major. My molecular genetics book is the most boring thing on this world lol. And life has its usual drama... At least SDN reminds me that I'm not alone on this :D (From my 30+ premed friends, only 3 are actually going through the process this year :confused:)
I can relate <3 good luck on the MCAT and what leadership position? how did it turn out? We're actually having re-elections for out pre med club, and I'm president, I hope I get re-elected. Working on what I'm going to say NOW. And what are you double majoring in? TOday was my first day in genetics, we'll see how I feel about this :/ Hm at least you have less competition amongst friends? Like, when you get in, you won't feel bittersweet about their decisions because only three are applying with you. I have five applying with me and their GPAs look something like-- 3.72, 3.79, 3.89, 3.75, and one has a 3.5. I'm the freak with the 3.6 *facepalm* I'm going to be taking my hopefully saving grace (MCAT) with them :(

This semester is going be intense, I start tomorrow. I am taking 2 english classes---> there are a lot of books I have to read. I wanted to do this so I could increase my reading comprehension but I am wondering if taking endocrinology would be a better use of my time.. I really want to take the English classes I feel like I grow so much after a good read. Have any you guys read "How doctors think?" by Jerome Groopman. Doesnt it make look at medical schools' curriculum more critically?

I can relate <3 good luck on the MCAT and what leadership position? how did it turn out? We're actually having re-elections for out pre med club, and I'm president, I hope I get re-elected. Working on what I'm going to say NOW. And what are you double majoring in? TOday was my first day in genetics, we'll see how I feel about this :/ Hm at least you have less competition amongst friends? Like, when you get in, you won't feel bittersweet about their decisions because only three are applying with you. I have five applying with me and their GPAs look something like-- 3.72, 3.79, 3.89, 3.75, and one has a 3.5. I'm the freak with the 3.6 *facepalm* I'm going to be taking my hopefully saving grace (MCAT) with them :(

I took Genetics not long ago and loved it. The professor was extra hard on hard, but I guess is was good. Now I'm helping other student with genetics through a school program.

Best advice, is to read everything 3 times at least. Worked for me!! Good luck!!! :luck:

This semester is going be intense, I start tomorrow. I am taking 2 english classes---> there are a lot of books I have to read. I wanted to do this so I could increase my reading comprehension but I am wondering if taking endocrinology would be a better use of my time.. I really want to take the English classes I feel like I grow so much after a good read. Have any you guys read "How doctors think?" by Jerome Groopman. Doesnt it make look at medical schools' curriculum more critically?

I'm with you, I just found out I have an exam in 2 days, and classes just started this week!!!! :eek:

That is crazy good man, too much for me though, I like the info a lot more concise so I could look at what I want and then take the time to look at the ones I'm most interested. Love the idea, might try it for a couple, maybe if I get accepted in a couple of schools I would do that for those to help me decide

Last edited:
I took Genetics not long ago and loved it. The professor was extra hard on hard, but I guess is was god. Now I'm helping other student with genetics through a school program.

Best advice, is to read everything 3 times at least. Worked for me!! Good luck!!! :luck:

I'm with you, I just found out I have an exam in 2 days, and classes just started this week!!!! :eek:

Ah thanks for the advice! :)
I actually have a quiz on friday haha

and good luck on your exam! what class?
----
Update!
I now have letters of recs requested and the people have agreed to write me one:
Chem prof
Chem prof/PI
Bio prof/PI
Doc of shadowed
Employer on campus
Humanities prof

I have also completed my school list. 52 schools :eek:
we'll see how much I qualify for them :/ some of them have pretty high GPAs, but they have MCAT scores that I want to get to/higher than what I want.
I also have 18 "reaches"
BTW, what percentage are your guys' cut off when applying OOS? I'm thinking 25%, is that too low?

Ah thanks for the advice! :)
I actually have a quiz on friday haha

and good luck on your exam! what class?
----
Update!
I now have letters of recs requested and the people have agreed to write me one:
Chem prof
Chem prof/PI
Bio prof/PI
Doc of shadowed
Employer on campus
Humanities prof

I have also completed my school list. 52 schools :eek:
we'll see how much I qualify for them :/ some of them have pretty high GPAs, but they have MCAT scores that I want to get to/higher than what I want.
I also have 18 "reaches"
BTW, what percentage are your guys' cut off when applying OOS? I'm thinking 25%, is that too low?

Immunology, and from a very very important professor in my school to say the least :scared: ... Good luck on your quiz

Wow that is a lot of LORs congrats!!!

Do you just plan to apply to every school in the States??? :laugh:

PS. Choose what is most important and read that as many times as you can, also do "stupid style" sheets of the processes, so they are just a few lines. I'll post one later to show what I mnean

Immunology, and from a very very important professor in my school to say the least :scared: ... Good luck on your quiz

Ah i see, are you going to get an LOR from this professor? Thanks!

yes, yes it it! I'm pretty confident these people can write me a strong letter.

I know seriously! I didn't realize until i was done with the list. I think I'm start shaving once I really start taking MCAT practice tests realistically and until I take out some schools with like a 30% OOS acceptance rate. I think it'll be easier to take out, rather than add haha

Members don't see this ad :)

PS. Choose what is most important and read that as many times as you can, also do "stupid style" sheets of the processes, so they are just a few lines. I'll post one later to show what I mnean
SAY WHHHHAT...?:confused: LOL

what's up guys, how's the mcat studying going?

let me just say, i am not jealous. :hungover:

Update Lors! I have requested and got the green light for three letters of recommendations. I just need two more to call it a day. Biology professor and a non-science professor. The hunt is on.

Columbia SMDEP *done*
Molecular Bichemistry Professor *done*
PI at a summer research program at Brown *done*

Guys, the earlier we get all this done,the sooner we can focus on the daunting secondaries and application. Good luck on the MCAT guys I know you all will do GREAT!

It's like a health and wellness position in charge of the entire Greek community. You get to plan fun events about why binge drinking and drugs are bad lol. I got called for an interview so we'll see how it goes.

I took genetics over summer and it has been one of my favorite science classes so far! Thus the reason why I'm in molecular genetics right now even though the book is horrible :D

Guys, the earlier we get all this done,the sooner we can focus on the daunting secondaries and application. Good luck on the MCAT guys I know you all will do GREAT!

Thanks! I just wish I could somehow skip all of this and go straight to interviews. For some reason, I'm really excited for these and hopefully I'll run into some of you guys!

Update Lors! I have requested and got the green light for three letters of recommendations. I just need two more to call it a day. Biology professor and a non-science professor. The hunt is on.

Columbia SMDEP *done*

yeah I got the green light for 3, need about 2-3 more before I can be done...not really rushing it though...figure I have til Mid-Feb and still be in the safe zone.

what's everyone's schedule look like this semester? I got :

Advanced Anatomy
Endocrinology
Intro to Shakespeare
Hormones and Behavior
Biochemistry

(thankfully these classes overlap w. each other / mcat material)

16 hrs + mcat studying + regular EC's...lets hope i still have time to go out :cool:

hm can you post it haha?

Columbia SMDEP *done*

OHHHHH! your letter writers look great!!!! Hopefully we all get compelling and ground breaking letters :xf:Ohhhh secondaries. are you scripting them from now? and yes, GOOD LUCK ON THE MCAT GUYS!!!!!!!!!
It's like a health and wellness position in charge of the entire Greek community. You get to plan fun events about why binge drinking and drugs are bad lol. I got called for an interview so we'll see how it goes.

I took genetics over summer and it has been one of my favorite science classes so far! Thus the reason why I'm in molecular genetics right now even though the book is horrible :D

Thanks! I just wish I could somehow skip all of this and go straight to interviews. For some reason, I'm really excited for these and hopefully I'll run into some of you guys!
oh that sounds awesome! good luck on your interview, akuarys.I've heard SO many good things about genetics, i realllllly hope i enjoy it :/
hm, i just wish i can skip the mcat. standardized testing always screws me over! are you a sociable person? I've heard interviews to be the hardest part, but if you're excited, you're golden! it's crazy to think that we'll all potentially meet each other at interviews! eeek!
yeah I got the green light for 3, need about 2-3 more before I can be done...not really rushing it though...figure I have til Mid-Feb and still be in the safe zone.

Advanced Anatomy
Endocrinology
Intro to Shakespeare
Hormones and Behavior
Biochemistry

16 hrs + mcat studying + regular EC's...lets hope i still have time to go out :cool:
you're good with your letters! it's still "early." hahaa i'm taking:
ochem
pchem
genetics
and a history course

so like you, 16 units+mcat studying+ECs!

and amen to the bolded!

Advanced Anatomy
Endocrinology
Intro to Shakespeare
Hormones and Behavior
Biochemistry

Wow, that's an intense schedule you got there! I was at 20 hrs, decided to drop two classes to focus on the MCAT. Hopefully 15 hrs + mcat studying + work = a successful semester! I've got:

Healthcare Reform
Endocrinology
Psychophysiology
Psychopharmacology
Research credit

Good luck to everyone this semester!

hm can you post it haha?

OHHHHH! your letter writers look great!!!! Hopefully we all get compelling and ground breaking letters :xf:Ohhhh secondaries. are you scripting them from now? and yes, GOOD LUCK ON THE MCAT GUYS!!!!!!!!!

oh that sounds awesome! good luck on your interview, akuarys.I've heard SO many good things about genetics, i realllllly hope i enjoy it :/
hm, i just wish i can skip the mcat. standardized testing always screws me over! are you a sociable person? I've heard interviews to be the hardest part, but if you're excited, you're golden! it's crazy to think that we'll all potentially meet each other at interviews! eeek!

you're good with your letters! it's still "early." hahaa i'm taking:
ochem
pchem
genetics
and a history course

so like you, 16 units+mcat studying+ECs!

and amen to the bolded!

haha being in fraternity, the opportunities are plenty (almost excessive) but I like the balance.

Wow, that's an intense schedule you got there! I was at 20 hrs, decided to drop two classes to focus on the MCAT. Hopefully 15 hrs + mcat studying + work = a successful semester! I've got:

Healthcare Reform
Endocrinology
Psychophysiology
Psychopharmacology
Research credit

Good luck to everyone this semester!

Yeah it looks rough on paper but I think I can manage somehow, lets hope:scared:

Advanced Anatomy
Endocrinology
Intro to Shakespeare
Hormones and Behavior
Biochemistry

I gotta say, I'm a little bit jealous of this class schedule :D

Advanced Anatomy
Endocrinology
Intro to Shakespeare
Hormones and Behavior
Biochemistry

I've got

Biology+Lab
Ochem+Lab
Biochemsitry

16 quarter hours... biochemistry takes up more time than my others combined :). MCAT studying + research + volunteering. I'm a nontrad student who's wishing he had taken these classes 7 years ago :D

How are you couuuuuugs?! :hello: <---(btw! cuteeee :D)

ew, just got done doing a bunch of IR practice. my brain hurts. reading time!
That is totally my fav smiley:) I'm good! How are you guys doing? Man, even cliffhuxtable visited this thread lately....you guys have a lot of good '15ers on your side;)

I hope the MCAT practice is going well. They told us on our first day of MCAT class that your score goes up by about 3 points if you register for the MCAT near the beginning of your prep class. Committing to the date makes it real. Hope you all have registered:)

Also.....go check out the testing place before hand. Find out where the bathrooms are and all that. And do your practice tests with practice food. What worked for me: 1/2 Veggie burgers and tangerines at each break :D

That is totally my fav smiley:) I'm good! How are you guys doing? Man, even cliffhuxtable visited this thread lately....you guys have a lot of good '15ers on your side;)

I hope the MCAT practice is going well. They told us on our first day of MCAT class that your score goes up by about 3 points if you register for the MCAT near the beginning of your prep class. Committing to the date makes it real. Hope you all have registered:)

Also.....go check out the testing place before hand. Find out where the bathrooms are and all that. And do your practice tests with practice food. What worked for me: 1/2 Veggie burgers and tangerines at each break :D
This good advice. I found I felt better during my practice tests when I ate pancakes first. So, on test day I stopped at ihop on my way to the test center (my test was at 2 pm). I think it is worth finding what works for you.

took another practice test, and I saw that my bio score went up two points from the last one a month ago :D then i realized my verbal score went down two points and my phys score stayed the same keeping me at the same score :(

this MCAT thing is really bringing me down. So how's everyone else doing these days?

i feel like i swing back and forth about this year between 'ok this is just a big list of things to do, i am going to do them, i can do this, it will be ok' and 'AAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!'

anyone else on this pendulum?

Dumb question:

Is a LOR from an adjunct professor acceptable for non-science? I'm pretty sure is not, but just in case

Dumb question:

Is a LOR from an adjunct professor acceptable for non-science? I'm pretty sure is not, but just in case

Yes it is acceptable. Particularly if they have a PhD. Some adjunct professors have had very respectable careers in industry before teaching.

Yes it is acceptable. Particularly if they have a PhD. Some adjunct professors have had very respectable careers in industry before teaching.

Thank you so much, saved me from re-arranging my schedule. The prof has a phd, so I guess it works

My other question for you, Cougar or anyone (I don't want to open a new thread)

I receive my scores for the MCAT late June, I have to wait for those results to get a committee letter and the interview, which would mean waiting for weeks. Is it better apply separate and early or with the committee and late? Or can I apply separate, send all my letters and then send the committee letter but after I completed the application and all that stuff (If I can)

Thanks again!!!

Last edited:
Physical Chemistry
Biochemistry
Physics 2 (Calc-based)
Greek 4
Quantitative Chem Lab
Independent Research

Plus some music lessons/band/ensemble. Should be a fun semester. I couldn't be happier that my MCAT is done. Good luck everyone!

Advanced Anatomy
Endocrinology
Intro to Shakespeare
Hormones and Behavior
Biochemistry

Physical Chemistry
Biochemistry
Physics 2 (Calc-based)
Greek 4
Quantitative Chem Lab
Independent Research

Plus some music lessons/band/ensemble. Should be a fun semester. I couldn't be happier that my MCAT is done. Good luck everyone!

Jealous about 1) MCAT and 2) Greek... I always wanted to take a classic language course.

I have 17 hours this semester plus MCAT and maybe if I get this position, meetings/planning event etc. Already fulfilled my raging quota for this semester last week :cool:

I guess I'm a sociable person... which is why I can never study at the library lol. Example, I spent 3 hours today at the library talking with everybody that I ran into instead of reading my genetics book and let me tell you that absolutely NOBODY was there because it is the 2nd week of school so I'm not even sure how that happened. I need to find a better study area... my apartment is too comfy and the library is too unproductive haha. Any advice on where you guys go to?

Thank you so much, saved me from re-arranging my schedule. The prof has a phd, so I guess it works

My other question for you, Cougar or anyone (I don't want to open a new thread)

I receive my scores for the MCAT late June, I have to wait for those results to get a committee letter and the interview, which would mean waiting for weeks. Is it better apply separate and early or with the committee and late? Or can I apply separate, send all my letters and then send the committee letter but after I completed the application and all that stuff (If I can)

Thanks again!!!

You should submit in early June when AMCAS opens. You can do this without your LOR. Then, when you get secondaries, you can start filling them out. You will have to have your LOR in to AMCAS in order to be marked "complete" (secondary + LOR for each school).

My school doesn't have a committee, so I am not familiar with the whole process, but I think I remember some medical schools saying a committee letter must be submitted if available, or possibly they said it would look bad if it was not submitted. You should ask around about this.

However, if you can get your committee letter by the end of July, then you will still be plenty early. I guess you could submit individual letters if the school doesn't damand/prefer a committee letter according to their website/secondary app.

Like I said, I am not the best person to ask about committee letters, this is just my $0.02.

I have a question:

How long do LOR's last for? For example, say I apply this year and don't get accepted, but next year I don't want to ask for a whole other set of LOR's. Can I just use the one's from the year before?

I would be using Interfolio as you all suggested. Can you also use that for DO applications as well?

Thanks!

I have a question:

How long do LOR's last for? For example, say I apply this year and don't get accepted, but next year I don't want to ask for a whole other set of LOR's. Can I just use the one's from the year before?

I would be using Interfolio as you all suggested. Can you also use that for DO applications as well?

Thanks!
LOR last for as long as you need them. If you do something worth while during that year, then you can always ask your writers to update their letters. Using interfolio is great for this, b/c amcas does not save your letters after the app cycle is over.

I have five applying with me and their GPAs look something like-- 3.72, 3.79, 3.89, 3.75, and one has a 3.5. I'm the freak with the 3.6 *facepalm* I'm going to be taking my hopefully saving grace (MCAT) with them :(

I know two others that applied this semester, both super smart rockstars. One got in ED and the other will hear back next week, and I'm sure she'll get in. This is me -----> :bang::smack: every time they ask me if I've heard anything yet. (I haven't and probably won't.)

standardized testing always screws me over!

I'm not a great multiple choice person. I always second guess myself or change my answer when I shouldn't and don't when I should. :smack:

I have a question:

Thanks!

+1
I'd like to know this too.

Jealous about 1) MCAT and 2) Greek... I always wanted to take a classic language course.

I have 17 hours this semester plus MCAT and maybe if I get this position, meetings/planning event etc. Already fulfilled my raging quota for this semester last week :cool:

I took the MCAT early because I went abroad in the fall and I didn't want to have to study during that, but yes, I am happy about having it done.

Greek, I hope that gets me a few bonus points. It's technically my minor - it was either that or music and I made a choice to be odd. It's quite hard, but very fun.

Good luck! That's a crazy schedule, but just stock up on red bull and 5 hour energy and get through it in time to take a small break, then hit apply!

I took the MCAT early because I went abroad in the fall and I didn't want to have t
o study during that, but yes, I am happy about having it done.
Greek, I hope that gets me a few bonus points. It's technically my minor - it was either that or music and I made a choice to be odd. It's quite hard, but very fun.

Good luck! That's a crazy schedule, but just stock up on red bull and 5 hour energy and get through it in time to take a small break, then hit apply!

That's awesome! I just declared French as my second major so I am excited!
And yeah... I literally walk around campus with a five energy hour shot... no lie lol... I really hope I get this position. I know I complain about not having any time but I like being ridiculously busy. If I wasn't, I would just bore myself haha

Update: Got my three LoR finally!!!

Got some internet and decided to come on over and wish everyone a happy 2011. I also wanted to give some good luck vibes to all the folks taking the MCAT in a few days. Ah, just last year I was finishing up my winter break and getting ready for that snowy drive to the testing center in Boston...I really should have studied more haha. Oh well, such is life.

Here's where I'm at right now:

GPA----> Pretty darn good for my undergrad, decent for med schools, might keep me out of the competitive places I'm looking at

MCAT--> Only slightly above mediocre. Decent, not going to keep me from becoming a doc, but I probably won't be going to Hopkins

PS-----> I have a few paragraphs and ideas still bouncing around. I'm waiting to catch a baby at the health center here in the next month or so. I feel that will tie my thesis together nicely haha

School List----> Check, short and sweet. A couple reaches, something akin to a match, and my state school where I'd be happy to end up.

LORS----> I have 2 science, 1 non-science, my college work supervisor, my Peace Corps supervisor, and my physician mentor who I shadowed last year all agreed. One is uploaded already, the other profs are doing it this week, my mentor and college supervisor are both currently MIA, and the Peace Corps guy needs help with his English. But, overall, it's going pretty smoothly I'd say.

In other news, I chipped a tooth and might have to come stateside for repairs...but probably not, we'll see. I didn't even chip it in a cool, African way, either. I was totally eating peanut M&Ms. lame, right? Man, I miss snow. Enjoy it!

Hello everyone!

I'll post an update as well:

GPA = By June, it should be in its place, lol.

MCAT = Signed up for a mid-April date

PS = haven't started and have no idea what I'll be writing about; I really want this to be good, so I'll probably leave all cards on the table. We'll see.

School List = Committee suggests that we apply to no more than 20. I have a tentative list, but still need to go through MSAR a couple more times.

LORs = Committee requires 4-6, and I have 4 in ready to go, but I might get 2 more. We'll see.

showin' this thread a little love. The class of 2015 is huge in comparison.

Physical Chemistry
Biochemistry
Physics 2 (Calc-based)
Greek 4
Quantitative Chem Lab
Independent Research

Good God. Greek 4 ???

Is anyone else having trouble coming up with a school list? Most schools seem very similar to me, and I don't see that changing until interviews start. I'm mostly going by climate right now :p

Is anyone else having trouble coming up with a school list? Most schools seem very similar to me, and I don't see that changing until interviews start. I'm mostly going by climate right now :p

I'm having major difficulties. ugh. More like, In terms of plausibility.
I have 51-- 20 Reaches, 23 Right at my stats, and 8 "Reaches" all depending on an arbitrary MCAT. Do I such so much so that either schools aren't taking OOS, or those that do seem like reaches. of course "reaches" need to be cut down to like maybe 8, but still. ugh. I want a pretty extensive and varying school list to get all my bases.

Hello everyone!

I'll post an update as well:

GPA = By June, it should be in its place, lol.

MCAT = Signed up for a mid-April date

PS = haven't started and have no idea what I'll be writing about; I really want this to be good, so I'll probably leave all cards on the table. We'll see.

School List = Committee suggests that we apply to no more than 20. I have a tentative list, but still need to go through MSAR a couple more times.

LORs = Committee requires 4-6, and I have 4 in ready to go, but I might get 2 more. We'll see.
Looking good! my PS is still nonexistent, but I have an empty word file reserved -_-
I think we're still on the right track!

Got some internet and decided to come on over and wish everyone a happy 2011. I also wanted to give some good luck vibes to all the folks taking the MCAT in a few days. Ah, just last year I was finishing up my winter break and getting ready for that snowy drive to the testing center in Boston...I really should have studied more haha. Oh well, such is life.

Here's where I'm at right now:

GPA----> Pretty darn good for my undergrad, decent for med schools, might keep me out of the competitive places I'm looking at

MCAT--> Only slightly above mediocre. Decent, not going to keep me from becoming a doc, but I probably won't be going to Hopkins

PS-----> I have a few paragraphs and ideas still bouncing around. I'm waiting to catch a baby at the health center here in the next month or so. I feel that will tie my thesis together nicely haha

School List----> Check, short and sweet. A couple reaches, something akin to a match, and my state school where I'd be happy to end up.

LORS----> I have 2 science, 1 non-science, my college work supervisor, my Peace Corps supervisor, and my physician mentor who I shadowed last year all agreed. One is uploaded already, the other profs are doing it this week, my mentor and college supervisor are both currently MIA, and the Peace Corps guy needs help with his English. But, overall, it's going pretty smoothly I'd say.

In other news, I chipped a tooth and might have to come stateside for repairs...but probably not, we'll see. I didn't even chip it in a cool, African way, either. I was totally eating peanut M&Ms. lame, right? Man, I miss snow. Enjoy it!

Oh you're gold! so ahead of the game here! you chipped a tooth eating peanut M&M's? sorry but :roflcopter: :rofl:
I guess being allergic to peanuts is good for something!

In other news, I took another thing on my plate--registering our campus/department to the Chemistry greek society with the chair of the department. Brownie points FTW!
Hope you all are having a rested three day weekend.
Made mac and cheese and apple pie for dinner, now to work on this damned presentation :D

just started MCAT studying, already hating it

Ew! ugh, so are you starting to study an hour or two a day? I need to start like that like today ugh. follow a strict schedule. Don't hate already, you have countless days ahead of you to hate :) you got this!