Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah seriously, why is it so hard to focus when it matters the most? haha and yes basketball and going out is my main interest these last couple of weeks of school :cool:

seriously! i'm in the last three quarters before applying, and I'm slacking more than ever. got home. napped. ate chicken tenders. flipped through the msar. caught up with friends. it's 11 and i have yet to start working. ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got to work this morning and found this lovely gem of a thread, all official with the exclamation points and everything! (thanks Cougs) =)

When I first started this whole thing I was originally headed for the Class of 2014 if I had gone straight through after graduating this year. Then I decided to do a gap year and then changed my mind and decided to do two gap years with the corps de la paix instead.

I have been lurking on SDN since 2003 and so this thread, the one I can finally find acceptance in, has been a long time coming!

Let's get ready to rock, 2016ers! Our time has come!

And now I'm off to a World's AIDS Day event, wear red today!

kid

Hahahaah that cake is EPIC!!!!

Rhino....at my next birthday...I want one of those. Please make a note;)
:thumbup: I've made a note, just expect it to be store bought b/c I could NOT make anything close to that. Awesome cake!
OMG I KNOW! i feel like i've had the books forever, but it doesn't feel real, or even close yet. i need a reality check. but i am compiling my list of schools already :)

AND! Hi ms. (i'm assuming this from previous post, but could be mr.) Cougar and mr. rhino, I'm berries, nice to meet you :) would you like to be my friend? :laugh:
Certainly :), nice to meet you too...
61d2ad84-0e1c-4e78-a227-afe2b87e0ac1-0.JPG

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that I watch Psych, that cake is pretty awesome, but I just started Season 2, so no spoilers. :nono:

Had a suuuuuuper long day, now I must sleep. :sleep:

Hey guys, i'm finally starting to feel the "start" of the process.
I borrowed the 2011-2012 MSAR from school and am compiling my list :scared: yay:luck::xf:

seriously! i'm in the last three quarters before applying, and I'm slacking more than ever. got home. napped. ate chicken tenders. flipped through the msar. caught up with friends. it's 11 and i have yet to start working. ugh.

This is me... I have a chem test tomorrow and I can't seem to focus at all!! It doesn't help that I caught my first cold of the year ewwwwww!!! Napping sounds sooooo good right now!! ;)

This is me... I have a chem test tomorrow and I can't seem to focus at all!! It doesn't help that I caught my first cold of the year ewwwwww!!! Napping sounds sooooo good right now!! ;)
I can't seem to find focus either! I really need to get back into it but Thanksgiving is such a motivation killer!

With winter break approaching, I'm failing to get ANYTHING done -_-

What schools are you looking at?

Hm, no definitive list yet,but looking into schools that are CA friendly and are matching up to a reasonable GPA and MCAT score I can achieve :)

With winter break approaching, I'm failing to get ANYTHING done -_-

Hm, no definitive list yet,but looking into schools that are CA friendly and are matching up to a reasonable GPA and MCAT score I can achieve :)

Is that going off last year's MSAR? I forget, when are the new one's released? I've been checking out some schools' websites in the region and trying to scrape the info off them. Insane college is more than half way done and apps are right around the corner (kinda).

Is that going off last year's MSAR? I forget, when are the new one's released? I've been checking out some schools' websites in the region and trying to scrape the info off them. Insane college is more than half way done and apps are right around the corner (kinda).

RIGHT?! :wow:

I'm using the "MSAR 2011=2012" which i'm guessing is the latest one? Got it from the school's pre health people.

So, as procrastination, i'm currently creepin' on the 30+ MCAT study Habits thread, trying to gain inspiration and study tips before I actually start studying. Good stuff. Here's the link 2016-ers::thumbup:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250&page=17

Thank you Coug for pimpin' out our thread :love::thumbup: :)

Most of us are probably struggling keeping up with the bunch of exams this week.

But THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, you're welcome;)

OMG I KNOW! i feel like i've had the books forever, but it doesn't feel real, or even close yet. i need a reality check. but i am compiling my list of schools already :)

AND! Hi ms. (i'm assuming this from previous post, but could be mr.) Cougar and mr. (or ms.) rhino, I'm berries, nice to meet you :) would you like to be my friend? :laugh:
It is Ms. And nice to meet you too; for sure!:) This site has helped us a lot and I know we like to give back. Just don't start a billion lame threads or be unnecessarily mean to people and we'll love you;)

For '16ers in general: I would say the best things you can be doing right now are (in order of importance):
1.) Study for the MCAT!!!!! (And don't slack off on your current classes)
2.) Start asking for letters of rec and create an Interfolio account. Trust us, it is totally worth it. Pay for three years or whatever just in case.
3.) Start figuring out what your "story" is. Why you want to be a physician, how what you have done thus far has led you to that point, and the multitude of ways you can talk about that. Your personal statement is not all you will be writing; the secondaries are just as important.
4.) Really start researching schools. Make lists. Apply SMART. Make sure that you apply to schools that are around your GPA (since you probably don't have your MCAT score yet). If you have a good idea of things you are interested in while in medical school (research, teaching, lots of clinical experience, a certain curriculum style) then figure out what schools have what you want so that in addition to applying smartly as far as your stats, you can apply smartly as far as your abilities and interests. Passion goes a long way.

Stuff to think about later (next year):
1.) Create an AMCAS account as soon as you can, even if you're not ready to apply. Then, have your transcripts sent in. I cannot tell you how many people on these boards complain every year that this is the single thing (other than LORS) holding up their verification. Just do it in May NO MATTER WHAT. Also fill out that part of the app; it is annoying and time consuming to list all of your classes but you have to do it. So just do it in May so it isn't hanging over your head later.
2.)Plan to pre-write a lot of your secondaries to help you save time and decrease your turn-around time.
3.) Have a backup plan (ways to improve your app; new volunteer opportunities, new job, etc). The worst feeling in the world is to have your app cycle not go well AND to know that you haven't done anything to change your application around December or January. Plus, doing something new just makes you a better human. Do it for yourself if nothing else.

Ok....off the soapbox now:)

Last edited:
For '16ers in general: I would say the best things you can be doing right now are (in order of importance):
1.) Study for the MCAT!!!!! (And don't slack off on your current classes)
2.) Start asking for letters of rec and create an Interfolio account. Trust us, it is totally worth it. Pay for three years or whatever just in case.
3.) Start figuring out what your "story" is. Why you want to be a physician, how what you have done thus far has led you to that point, and the multitude of ways you can talk about that. Your personal statement is not all you will be writing; the secondaries are just as important.
4.) Really start researching schools. Make lists. Apply SMART. Make sure that you apply to schools that are around your GPA (since you probably don't have your MCAT score yet). If you have a good idea of things you are interested in while in medical school (research, teaching, lots of clinical experience, a certain curriculum style) then figure out what schools have what you want so that in addition to applying smartly as far as your stats, you can apply smartly as far as your abilities and interests. Passion goes a long way.

Stuff to think about later (next year):
1.) Create an AMCAS account as soon as you can, even if you're not ready to apply. Then, have your transcripts sent in. I cannot tell you how many people on these boards complain every year that this is the single thing (other than LORS) holding up their verification. Just do it in May NO MATTER WHAT. Also fill out that part of the app; it is annoying and time consuming to list all of your classes but you have to do it. So just do it in May so it isn't hanging over your head later.
2.)Plan to pre-write a lot of your secondaries to help you save time and decrease your turn-around time.
3.) Have a backup plan (ways to improve your app; new volunteer opportunities, new job, etc). The worst feeling in the world is to have your app cycle not go well AND to know that you haven't done anything to change your application around December or January. Plus, doing something new just makes you a better human. Do it for yourself if nothing else.

Ok....of the soapbox now:)

Cougar! you are seriously AMAZING.
it's nice to have this breakdown.
few questions:
Interfolio is not needed if my school has a recomendation committee right? And these don't have to be in to be considered?
Second, for transcripts to be sent out in a may, are the Spring grades not considered?
And if application opens June 1, can we start filling things in before that?
I find that I am in a dead halt in my personal statement.
ugh.
lastly, is it sad that I'm telling myself that I will get in and not allow myself to have a back up plan? :scared:
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
few questions:
Interfolio is not needed if my school has a recomendation committee right? And these don't have to be in to be considered?
Second, for transcripts to be sent out in a may, are the Spring grades not considered?
ugh.
lastly, is it sad that I'm telling myself that I will get in and not allow myself to have a back up plan? :scared:
Thank you!

Ok, first, about the backup plan....this one may be a matter of personal preference. I am a super-planning-control-freak-type-A-person. So I needed to know I was doing everything I could to minimize damage if things went wrong. Looking back, I think I would have been under WAY more stress if I hadn't started some cool new activities both to keep me busy AND to be sure that, if I applied again, I would VERY clearly be able to answer the question "How is your app different this year?". But that is just me. Plus, I had the luxury of not being in school. I do think that it is important to continue activities you've already been doing though, if you don't want to start something new.

The reason I say the stuff about a backup is because I feel like it can take FOREVER to get involved in something new. Even just for a volunteer position there can be interviews, orientation that only happens at certain times of the year, a wait list, etc. So I just give the "backup" suggestion to minimize possible future stress.

I can't comment on your chances ( the WAMC thread and people like LizzyM and Catalystic are better at that) but if you think you have good chances and you apply smart and that is what works for you, then do it.

For the committee letter thing...I am not from a school with a committee, so someone else may need to answer that. One thing I will say though is that you should contact your committee. Some of them only meet at certain times and they shove off early for the summer. I have also seen that happen to people on SDN; they didn't get the committee thing going early enough and had to wait until September for their letter.

The application can be SUBMITTED on or around June 1st but it opens around May 1st so you can start filling it out and send transcripts in.

And yes, if you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on there. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a lot, wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in. If not, go ahead and do it and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them.

Ok I typed all of that on a iPhone so I apologize for any weird typos or word corrections

Ok, first, about the backup plan....this one may be a matter of personal preference. I am a super-planning-control-freak-type-A-person. So I needed to know I was doing everything I could to minimize damage if things went wrong. Looking back, I think I would have been under WAY more stress if I hadn't started some cool new activities both to keep me busy AND to be sure that, if I applied again, I would VERY clearly be able to answer the question "How is your app different this year?". But that is just me. Plus, I had the luxury of not being in school. I do think that it is important to continue activities you've already been doing though, if you don't want to start something new.

The reason I say the stuff about a backup is because I feel like it can take FOREVER to get involved in something new. Even just for a volunteer position there can be interviews, orientation that only happens at certain times of the year, a wait list, etc. So I just give the "backup" suggestion to minimize possible future stress.

I can't comment on your chances ( the WAMC thread and people like LizzyM and Catalystic are better at that) but if you think you have good chances and you apply smart and that is what works for you, then do it.

For the committee letter thing...I am not from a school with a committee, so someone else may need to answer that. One thing I will say though is that you should contact your committee. Some of them only meet at certain times and they shove off early for the summer. I have also seen that happen to people on SDN; they didn't get the committee thing going early enough and had to wait until September for their letter.

The application can be SUBMITTED on or around June 1st but it opens around May 1st so you can start filling it out and send transcripts in.

And yes, if you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on there. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a lot, wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in. If not, go ahead and do it and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them.

Ok I typed all of that on a iPhone so I apologize for any weird typos or word corrections

Thanks.

I started watching that show (Psych, your avatar), after popping on my Hulu, looks funny. At least the one in the small town of dramatic people

Thank you!

Definitely agree with the first part :D

I wish I had your confidence! I keep telling myself that I'm not going to get in and it's driving me bananas. I am starting to think I'm insane for wanting to go down this road! oh and thanks for asking those questions; I was wondering about them too!

Thanks for the advice Cougar!
I had a question about Interfolio (if anybody could answer it). I read somewhere that the letters of recommendation that you need to include your AMCAS ID on the LORs. Is this the same ID we got for the MCAT or are we not getting it until May? If the latter is true, what do you do if you get a LOR early and want to send it to Interfolio? Thanks! :D

And yes, if you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on there.
This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a lot, wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in. If not, go ahead and do it and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them.

slightly confused by this, spring grades usually would be in mid-may...how will they not be on the transcript of i submit june 1?

I had a question about Interfolio (if anybody could answer it). I read somewhere that the letters of recommendation that you need to include your AMCAS ID on the LORs. Is this the same ID we got for the MCAT or are we not getting it until May? If the latter is true, what do you do if you get a LOR early and want to send it to Interfolio? Thanks! :D
You won't get it until May.

Here is how Interfolio works.

1.) You set up an account. The account has NOTHING to do with AMCAS. You could potentially store letters here and use them for ANYTHING; a job, a volunteer position, to adopt a puppy, whatever.
2.) Once you set up an account and you have talked to a person you want a letter from, you will "Send a Letter Request" through Interfolio. This will send an email to that person saying that you want a letter. They will then upload the letter directly to interfolio. You need to waive your right to read the letters (just do it). Make sure when you ask for letters that you remind the letter writer that the letter needs to be on official letterhead when possible, and SIGNED. They need to upload a scanned copy! This is important for several schools; they will kick back your letter if it isn't done this way.
3.) Once you start an AMCAS account, you will have your AMCAS ID. Then, whenever you want, you can have Interfolio send letters directly to AMCAS. They are actually sent electronically so they get there in 24 hours most of the time. You can specify in Interfolio that both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID (you have to "create" a letter in AMCAS so that AMCAS knows that the letter is coming) is stamped on the letter.

It really is a simple process, I swear!!!

slightly confused by this, spring grades usually would be in mid-may...how will they not be on the transcript of i submit june 1?

First, if you're on the quarter system, your "Spring" doesn't end until late June. So for some people their grades aren't available until July.

Also, at a lot of schools, even if the semester ends Mid may, official grades may not be out for a few more weeks. Plus, the transcript still has to get there which may take a few more weeks. This really really depends on the school. At a lot of schools, you can pre-order transcripts and have it held for Spring grades. But even then the policy may be that they don't guarantee that they will get sent out until 2-3 weeks after grades are finalized. It just depends. If you go to an awesome school that has finals on May 15th, grades posted May 16th, and, if you pre-ordered transcripts, will send them out May 17th....then you're golden.

I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them. The verification process is what takes time. If you submitted the first instant on June 1st, this year, you got verified on June 1st.

If you were like me and submitted in the evening of June 1st, it took about a week to get verified.

If you submitted June 3rd, it took 13 days or so; etc.

But you don't get verified until the transcripts are there.

It is not clear to me what your "place in line" is without transcripts. I can imagine one of two scenarios. Either you are in "line", and as soon as they get there, they will start verifying you. Or, you don't get put in line until your transcripts actually get there. I have a feeling it is the latter; I would check the "Official AMCAS Questions" Thread from this year if you really want to know. (I would suggest reading that thread over the next few months ANYWAY so that you know all there is to know and aren't asking questions in a panicked fashion last minute)

If you have more than one transcript to deal with (I had 8) starting to order them and get them in is especially important. If you only have 1....then maybe you can have a different approach.

Edit: One more thing to remember....your application isn't sent to schools until June 25th/26th. So getting verified on June 7th is NO different than getting verified on June 24th.

If you don't have MCAT scores yet, a good strategy is to create your AMCAS account, just add a single school that you are sure you want to apply to (either your state school or a school you have zero chance at, if you are that worried about your score) and then once your score comes in, immediately add the other schools. That way if things go horribly wrong, you haven't wasted your money applying to a dozen schools if you think you need to defer your app a year. And you won't be a reapplicant at those particular schools (though you would still be a reapplicant in general).

Last edited:
By the way....major thumbs up to all of you guys for asking these questions NOW instead of next August:thumbup::thumbup:

I hope a lot of lurkers are reading your questions too and getting info. Being prepared for all of the weird quirks of this process can only make your life easier in the long run.

cougs your so popular.

Edit: One more thing to remember....your application isn't sent to schools until June 25th/26th. So getting verified on June 7th is NO different than getting verified on June 24th.

So we wouldn't be getting the secondaries until late June/early July? I've been debating wether to study abroad during the second half of the summer but I guess I'm going to be filling secondaries by then (?).

You won't get it until May.

Here is how Interfolio works.

1.) You set up an account. The account has NOTHING to do with AMCAS. You could potentially store letters here and use them for ANYTHING; a job, a volunteer position, to adopt a puppy, whatever.
2.) Once you set up an account and you have talked to a person you want a letter from, you will "Send a Letter Request" through Interfolio. This will send an email to that person saying that you want a letter. They will then upload the letter directly to interfolio. You need to waive your right to read the letters (just do it). Make sure when you ask for letters that you remind the letter writer that the letter needs to be on official letterhead when possible, and SIGNED. They need to upload a scanned copy! This is important for several schools; they will kick back your letter if it isn't done this way.
3.) Once you start an AMCAS account, you will have your AMCAS ID. Then, whenever you want, you can have Interfolio send letters directly to AMCAS. They are actually sent electronically so they get there in 24 hours most of the time. You can specify in Interfolio that both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID (you have to "create" a letter in AMCAS so that AMCAS knows that the letter is coming) is stamped on the letter.

It really is a simple process, I swear!!!

First, if you're on the quarter system, your "Spring" doesn't end until late June. So for some people their grades aren't available until July.

Also, at a lot of schools, even if the semester ends Mid may, official grades may not be out for a few more weeks. Plus, the transcript still has to get there which may take a few more weeks. This really really depends on the school. At a lot of schools, you can pre-order transcripts and have it held for Spring grades. But even then the policy may be that they don't guarantee that they will get sent out until 2-3 weeks after grades are finalized. It just depends. If you go to an awesome school that has finals on May 15th, grades posted May 16th, and, if you pre-ordered transcripts, will send them out May 17th....then you're golden.

I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them. The verification process is what takes time. If you submitted the first instant on June 1st, this year, you got verified on June 1st.

If you were like me and submitted in the evening of June 1st, it took about a week to get verified.

If you submitted June 3rd, it took 13 days or so; etc.

But you don't get verified until the transcripts are there.

It is not clear to me what your "place in line" is without transcripts. I can imagine one of two scenarios. Either you are in "line", and as soon as they get there, they will start verifying you. Or, you don't get put in line until your transcripts actually get there. I have a feeling it is the latter; I would check the "Official AMCAS Questions" Thread from this year if you really want to know. (I would suggest reading that thread over the next few months ANYWAY so that you know all there is to know and aren't asking questions in a panicked fashion last minute)

If you have more than one transcript to deal with (I had 8) starting to order them and get them in is especially important. If you only have 1....then maybe you can have a different approach.

If you don't have MCAT scores yet, a good strategy is to create your AMCAS account, just add a single school that you are sure you want to apply to (either your state school or a school you have zero chance at, if you are that worried about your score) and then once your score comes in, immediately add the other schools. That way if things go horribly wrong, you haven't wasted your money applying to a dozen schools if you think you need to defer your app a year. And you won't be a reapplicant at those particular schools (though you would still be a reapplicant in general).

I never even though of this whole transcript thing, according to my school exams end may 12 so I could be stuck in a limbo waiting for that transcript...which I definitely need before I submit. and as far as letters we don't need interfolio if our school has a committee handling this, right?

So we wouldn't be getting the secondaries until late June/early July? I've been debating wether to study abroad during the second half of the summer but I guess I'm going to be filling secondaries by then (?).
Yeah, that is correct.

But that is another reason to apply early; maybe sort-of have time off between June 1st and the beginning July?

A lot of people study abroad and make it work. If you have internet access, plan ahead, and make yourself stay on top of your secondaries it is doable.

I would suggest that it is better to bust your butt at the beginning; apply early, spend the rest of June pre-writing your secondaries, and turn them all in by July, and THEN take time off when you have some "down time" and are just waiting.

Another benefit to applying early is that secondaries will trickle in instead of all coming in a huge rush. It gives you slightly more breathing room to deal with them.

If it helps you all with a timeline:
I submitted June 1st, was verified June 7th-ish; turned in the majority of my secondaries within 48 hours of getting them, and was complete pretty early at most schools. My first interview invite was on August 9th. I added 5 schools later (first week of August) and got interviews at 4 of them; my last interview invite was on Sept 23rd (not one of the later added schools). Got 10 interviews total; I could have been done with them early November but scheduled 2 of them in December for personal reasons.

I never even though of this whole transcript thing, according to my school exams end may 12 so I could be stuck in a limbo waiting for that transcript...which I definitely need before I submit. and as far as letters we don't need interfolio if our school has a committee handling this, right?
I have no experience with the committee letter thing and I don't want to lead you astray. I would suggest searching for the answer; someone else must have had the same question on here at least a dozen times:)

Yeah, that is correct.

But that is another reason to apply early; maybe sort-of have time off between June 1st and the beginning July?

A lot of people study abroad and make it work. If you have internet access, plan ahead, and make yourself stay on top of your secondaries it is doable.

I would suggest that it is better to bust your butt at the beginning; apply early, spend the rest of June pre-writing your secondaries, and turn them all in by July, and THEN take time off when you have some "down time" and are just waiting.

Another benefit to applying early is that secondaries will trickle in instead of all coming in a huge rush. It gives you slightly more breathing room to deal with them.

If it helps you all with a timeline:
I submitted June 1st, was verified June 7th-ish; turned in the majority of my secondaries within 48 hours of getting them, and was complete pretty early at most schools. My first interview invite was on August 9th. I added 5 schools later (first week of August) and got interviews at 4 of them; my last interview invite was on Sept 23rd (not one of the later added schools). Got 10 interviews total; I could have been done with them early November but scheduled 2 of them in December for personal reasons.

Thanks for the advice! I've been really hesitant about applying to this program so maybe it's better if I just stay at my university and take summer classes, do research or shadow. I guess I'll look into a one/two week-long volunteering program instead somewhere abroad. :)

Thanks for the advice! I've been really hesitant about applying to this program so maybe it's better if I just stay at my university and take summer classes, do research or shadow. I guess I'll look into a one/two week-long volunteering program instead somewhere abroad. :)
this is why I'm not studying abroad. I'll probably try to land a research gig somewhere...IMO I think the money and stress about worrying to apply during studying abroad isnt worth it

Cougs, you should be prom queen or something on the 2016 thread :laugh:
okay, i'm on the quarter system and spring quarter ends on June 16. soooo, which is the worse of two evils: have 3.65 and submit on the first day possible, or have a 3.69 and submit "later?"
as for the committee letter, I'm going to go talk to them tomorrow, so I'll update everyone tomorrow.
I see what you mean about the backup plan. It's not confidence per say, I guess it's my state of mind that I HAVE to get in. Like I won't allow myself to think otherwise. Trust me, I'm no perfect applicant. More just "average." But, I've been scoping out a few programs, so we'll see. Kind of dreading the time that people start blowing up the WAMC thread because i'll be creeping on there to scope out the "friendly" competition :p
So, app opens May 1, you can start submitting June 1, but they don't look at you until June 25th or so yes?
good to know :D
btw, cougs, thanks for lurking on here and helping us noobs. I'm sure i'm going to have a lot of questions coming.
And I don't check for a whole day and we suddenly turn popular!
Lastly, I commend you for typing ALL THAT on an iphone... i would go crazy :wow: :eek:

I am applying for SMP 2011-2012 and will start AMCAS before I enter SMP as well. Hopefully grades/LOR from first semester will be able to help tremendously despite applying a bit later.

Cougs, you should be prom queen or something on the 2016 thread :laugh:
okay, i'm on the quarter system and spring quarter ends on June 16. soooo, which is the worse of two evils: have 3.65 and submit on the first day possible, or have a 3.69 and submit "later?"
as for the committee letter, I'm going to go talk to them tomorrow, so I'll update everyone tomorrow.
I see what you mean about the backup plan. It's not confidence per say, I guess it's my state of mind that I HAVE to get in. Like I won't allow myself to think otherwise. Trust me, I'm no perfect applicant. More just "average." But, I've been scoping out a few programs, so we'll see. Kind of dreading the time that people start blowing up the WAMC thread because i'll be creeping on there to scope out the "friendly" competition :p
So, app opens May 1, you can start submitting June 1, but they don't look at you until June 25th or so yes?
good to know :D
btw, cougs, thanks for lurking on here and helping us noobs. I'm sure i'm going to have a lot of questions coming.
And I don't check for a whole day and we suddenly turn popular!
Lastly, I commend you for typing ALL THAT on an iphone... i would go crazy :wow: :eek:

More unsolicited advice from Cougs....stop looking at that thread NOW and never ever look at it again:) Don't let SDN become a source of stress. Seriously. Especially during the MCAT.

As far as the "I have to get in" state of mind...be kind to yourself. Truly. I am...."oldish";) And please take it from someone oldish....if you don't get in this year but DO get in next year....it is not going to ruin your life. I am by no means saying that you need to settle. But what I am saying is that there is only so much you can do in this process. Sometimes unforeseen things happen. Sometimes, you are just unlucky and every time someone reads your app, they are having a bad day. Punishing yourself for not reaching high enough in this process is counter productive, I think, because it is not all within your control. So do what you can do, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst:) I do think that if you want to become a physician badly enough you will find a way. And I know nothing about you or your app so this is not personal. But stay mentally healthy during the process and don't beat yourself up when it is looking dark. Because trust me...even for someone who has a good cycle...there are some very dark days:)

Soo close I can smell it.. God just let this semester end well. For you guys taking the MCAT it isnt all that bad I am sure you all will do very well.. I am gearing up for asking for LORs and working hard to finish the semester off well.. I hope to be in somewhere this time next year. Class 2016! lets do this.

LOR Tip: Always ask in person, and say something like "Would you feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school?"

You can tell by their face the instant you ask if they do or not. If you get a hesitation or a weird look...abort.

Seriously.

LOR Tip: Always ask in person, and say something like "Would you feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school?"

You can tell by their face the instant you ask if they do or not. If you get a hesitation or a weird look...abort.

Seriously.
shes right. one person i asked hesitated, then tried to cover with "yes, i can def do that...". i was lucky enough to read the letter and not use it. it was a great letter, but at the end i guess she felt it necessary to include a weakness and she pretty much ruined it. i didn't use it, and went on and got GREAT LOR's.

be smart. plan ahead. 1 writer let me write my own LOR, and 3 others let me read the letter.

U guys getting ur LORs already? Wow, now I feel like I have to catch up!

Can you ask a LOR from a professor while you are still taking their class? I only really have two science professors that I could ask (I go to a large public school and I've had a hard time creating strong relationships with my science professors) and one of them is from my Calc 2 (which apparently will be an issue in some schools). So I was thinking of also asking one of my science professors next Spring if I develop a good relationship but I dunno if this would be possible/a risk (?). What's the latest you would suggest when asking for a LOR?

More unsolicited advice from Cougs....stop looking at that thread NOW and never ever look at it again:) Don't let SDN become a source of stress. Seriously. Especially during the MCAT.

As far as the "I have to get in" state of mind...be kind to yourself. Truly. I am...."oldish";) And please take it from someone oldish....if you don't get in this year but DO get in next year....it is not going to ruin your life. I am by no means saying that you need to settle. But what I am saying is that there is only so much you can do in this process. Sometimes unforeseen things happen. Sometimes, you are just unlucky and every time someone reads your app, they are having a bad day. Punishing yourself for not reaching high enough in this process is counter productive, I think, because it is not all within your control. So do what you can do, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst:) I do think that if you want to become a physician badly enough you will find a way. And I know nothing about you or your app so this is not personal. But stay mentally healthy during the process and don't beat yourself up when it is looking dark. Because trust me...even for someone who has a good cycle...there are some very dark days:)
Hey thanks for that! I felt like I was getting a good heart to heart over the internet :love:
Though, I wish you could give me a bit of advice on weather I should apply early with a 3.65 or a little later, say after spring grades, with a 3.68/3.69?

The new one is usually released around April. Although, it changes very little year to year. Having a MSAR is worth every penny. If everyone had one, and knew how to interpret it, then SDN would have 1/2 of the stupid questions it currently has.
few questions:
ugh.
Thank you!
1) You do not need interfolio if you are getting a committee letter.

2) I'm on the quarter system, so if I had waited to include spring grades then I wouldn't have been able to send transcripts until almost July (which means verification near the end of July). Also, after the quarter ends transcript requests are delayed where I attend. I was a senior, so I didn't feel like schools would care too much about my spring grades (for the record I had straight A's that quarter). You can always send an update letter later. I think applying early is more important than a small bump in GPA.
Don't worry about your writer including the AMCAS #, you can add it yourself when you transfer your letters from interfolio to AMCAS. It sounds comlicated when I try to explain it, but it is easy, and all you have to do is follow interfolio's instructions. Interfolio even has people to help you if you call them.
At your school it is mid-may, but at my school we get out in the middle of June (quarter system). So you should be fine, but others may need to decide what is better for their app, apply early or apply with a small GPA bump.

The new one is usually released around April. Although, it changes very little year to year. Having a MSAR is worth every penny. If everyone had one, and knew how to interpret it, then SDN would have 1/2 of the stupid questions it currently has.

1) You do not need interfolio if you are getting a committee letter.

2) I'm on the quarter system, so if I had waited to include spring grades then I wouldn't have been able to send transcripts until almost July (which means verification near the end of July). Also, after the quarter ends transcript requests are delayed where I attend. I was a senior, so I didn't feel like schools would care too much about my spring grades (for the record I had straight A's that quarter). You can always send an update letter later. I think applying early is more important than a small bump in GPA.

Don't worry about your writer including the AMCAS #, you can add it yourself when you transfer your letters from interfolio to AMCAS. It sounds comlicated when I try to explain it, but it is easy, and all you have to do is follow interfolio's instructions. Interfolio even has people to help you if you call them.

At your school it is mid-may, but at my school we get out in the middle of June (quarter system). So you should be fine, but others may need to decide what is better for their app, apply early or apply with a small GPA bump.
Thanks rhino! I was perusing through MDApps, and man my GPA is starting to look so....meh. I knew that already, but geez! it's so....average *sigh*

Thanks rhino! I was perusing through MDApps, and man my GPA is starting to look so....meh. I knew that already, but geez! it's so....average *sigh*

Don't pay attention to MD apps, the data in the MSAR is a better representation. Make sure you understand how to find the 10th and 90th percentile in there, it will help you pick better schools.

Try to focus on the things you have some control over, which right now is the MCAT :).

This process can really shake your confidence if you let it. Stay focused and think positive. Many 2016ers will be sitting on acceptances before this time next year!

This process can really shake your confidence if you let it. Stay focused and think positive. Many 2016ers will be sitting on acceptances before this time next year!

Thanks for the advice! This just seems so unreal... I'm seriously having a hard time concentrating on finals trying to figure out my classes for next semester/mcat preparation/personal statement/LORs/improving in my ECs... lol. Kind of excited for interviews and contributing (not too often) to the most bizarre/worst reply threads :D

Don't pay attention to MD apps, the data in the MSAR is a better representation. Make sure you understand how to find the 10th and 90th percentile in there, it will help you pick better schools.

Try to focus on the things you have some control over, which right now is the MCAT :).

ok ok! umm when time permits for you, you mind explaining? how to find it and use that data to find schools? sorry!
yeah, i'm trying to bust my ass to study for the MCAT and compensate.
Rhino, you and cougs are huge confidence boosters :love:
totally helps to think about the time line and realize this is all real:scared:

Thanks for the advice! This just seems so unreal... I'm seriously having a hard time concentrating on finals trying to figure out my classes for next semester/mcat preparation/personal statement/LORs/improving in my ECs... lol. Kind of excited for interviews and contributing (not too often) to the most bizarre/worst reply threads :D

This made me LOL! as for everything above, I COMPLETELY agree! soooo bizarre! and so close. and so much to do. Let's go akuarys, and other 2016ers, we can conquer this baby! *cue victorious music*

ok ok! umm when time permits for you, you mind explaining? how to find it and use that data to find schools? sorry!
yeah, i'm trying to bust my ass to study for the MCAT and compensate.
Rhino, you and cougs are huge confidence boosters :love:
totally helps to think about the time line and realize this is all real:scared:

If you look where they list the GPA and MCAT data for each school, you will see that the median MCAT score and median GPA are circled in white. This means that half the students at this school are above this GPA/MCAT, and the other half of students are below.

Then, you will notice that there is a highlighted bar that includes a range of scores/gpa on either side of the median. This shows the 10th and 90th percentiles. The score/gpa that the lowest 10% of students are either at, or below, is the 10th percentile.

For example, at NYU:
cGPA median is 3.8
10th percentile is 3.6 (relax, many other schools aren't nearly this high :))
90th is 4.0
total students = 164

So, I can conclude that only 16.4 students at NYU have a GPA less than, or equal to, a 3.6 GPA. When you are wondering if a school has a GPA cut off, the 10th percentile is probably the best estimate. The 10th percentile can also be particularly useful for MCAT subscores.

If you look where they list the GPA and MCAT data for each school, you will see that the median MCAT score and median GPA are circled in white. This means that half the students at this school are above this GPA/MCAT, and the other half of students are below.

Then, you will notice that there is a highlighted bar that includes a range of scores/gpa on either side of the median. This shows the 10th and 90th percentiles. The score/gpa that the lowest 10% of students are either at, or below, is the 10th percentile.

For example, at NYU:
cGPA median is 3.8
10th percentile is 3.6 (relax, many other schools aren't nearly this high :))
90th is 4.0
total students = 164

So, I can conclude that only 16.4 students at NYU have a GPA less than, or equal to, a 3.6 GPA. When you are wondering if a school has a GPA cut off, the 10th percentile is probably the best estimate. The 10th percentile can also be particularly useful for MCAT subscores.

Ah that makes sense. It makes me feel better because as I was flipping through the book, I found most schools' average was 3.7+ and it was seriously demoralizing. This helped a lot!

Ah that makes sense. It makes me feel better because as I was flipping through the book, I found most schools' average was 3.7+ and it was seriously demoralizing. This helped a lot!

don't worry about it you will be fine, just do well on your MCAT and have decent EC's that you actually care about. SDN is way overboard sometimes (aka you can't get in to med school without a 3.8+ and 35+MCAT) which is totally false. just apply broadly have a good reason to be a doctor and you'll be fine....we're in this together we'll make it:xf:

this thread makes me excited but nervous. so does the wamc thread. so do the school specific threads. aaaagh! but gotta take that energy and go do some end o' the year work. it's crazy how i can look at a span of time from now until june 2012 and say wow that's so little time. here's hoping this time next year things are still on track!

this thread makes me excited but nervous. so does the wamc thread. so do the school specific threads. aaaagh! but gotta take that energy and go do some end o' the year work. it's crazy how i can look at a span of time from now until june 2012 and say wow that's so little time. here's hoping this time next year things are still on track!

Yeah, it puts the timeline into perspective! ready, GO!
don't worry about it you will be fine, just do well on your MCAT and have decent EC's that you actually care about. SDN is way overboard sometimes (aka you can't get in to med school without a 3.8+ and 35+MCAT) which is totally false. just apply broadly have a good reason to be a doctor and you'll be fine....we're in this together we'll make it:xf:

yeahhh, guess you're right! time to work some ASS off for the next six months!

Yeah, it puts the timeline into perspective! ready, GO!

yeahhh, guess you're right! time to work some ASS off for the next six months!

Hey is the MSAR worth to buy?, I doubt my school has it, and the pre-health advisers are probably out by now.

Hey is the MSAR worth to buy?, I doubt my school has it, and the pre-health advisers are probably out by now.

If your school has a decent library, then it should be in there.

Yes, it is definitely worth using when selecting schools (a must actually). Buy it if you have to. Maybe you could find the current cycles MSAR on craigslist for cheap (it won't change much, it is $25 brand new).