Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was really feeling confident in Histology until we got to connective tissues...:confused:

We have our first anatomy exam next Friday. Then Physio the following Monday. Then Immunology the next week. Wrapping up with a 2-day Histology exam on the last Monday and Tuesday of the month. Which kinda sucks, 'cause I'll be attending SWVS which is that weekend right before the Histo exam. Boooooo.

Not even sure how many quizzes we've had, since we randomly have "clicker" quizzes every week in all classes.

At least Clinical Correalates is awesome! As is Phsyio lab! (Find the joy! :love:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was really feeling confident in Histology until we got to connective tissues...:confused:

I actually found connective tissues to be one of the hardest parts of histo, probably because they're all slight variations on a theme and I find they don't have a lot of distinct features. I found actual organs to be much easier.

I actually found connective tissues to be one of the hardest parts of histo, probably because they're all slight variations on a theme and I find they don't have a lot of distinct features. I found actual organs to be much easier.

I have largely forgotten most of histo... unless it is liver, kidney or heart I am likely not going to know what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anatomy is going to kill me or make me go crazy due to sleep deprivation :p

Reactions: 1 users
It feels like every day I switch between which class is really stressing me out and which one is going okay. For instance, I walked out of anatomy lab actually feeling good for once. Then physio lecture happened, and I walked out the building with my teeth clenched.

2 quizzes and 2 exams left to go. I'm definitely going to need more ice cream after this week.

Got my first two foster kitties yesterday! Probably a terrible idea since I have an anatomy exam friday, and two finals next week.... but oh well! I may have studied a lot less in the last 24 hours, but I feel far less stressed :D They're so cute and cuddly, I have no doubt they'll end up adopted either this weekend or next.

Still haven't had our first exam, which I am not sure whether to feel grateful for or not! Just want to know how my studying is going. First biochem quiz this week, then physio exam next week, anatomy the following Monday... and on and on after that.

We have a quiz a week in anatomy. Not too sure how many actual tests we'll have. The only class that is killing me is histology. No idea what I'm doing in that class :(
Do you have any slides you can look at online? Wheater's histology book is also really helpful. I took histo in undergrad and I know what you mean but once you get the hang of it, it's really not that bad.

Been in school for almost a month now and I really have not made many friends. I am friendly with everyone and talk to people, I am just having a hard time connecting. I am afraid I might have missed the "window." I use to be good at making friends :/

Physio is definitely my favorite class this semester, I would
Been in school for almost a month now and I really have not made many friends. I am friendly with everyone and talk to people, I am just having a hard time connecting. I am afraid I might have missed the "window." I use to be good at making friends :/

I feel the same way. I'd say I have 2-3 actual friends, the rest are acquaintances. Mainly because I don't live in the dorms and probably 85% of my class does, so they all hang out together and I live off campus. I'm pretty okay with it though, I know the few friends I do have are good friends

Yep, I definitely know how you feel!

Members don't see this ad :)

I kind of feel like that too, but I also feel like I'm slowly changing those acquaintances into friends. I actually have plans with a few of them this weekend and it's nice! Sometimes it just takes time for some of us.

And I totally just realized that allieoop is in my class! If you ever want to chat just PM me or find me (my first name is Shayna).

There is no window! I've made a couple friends with people in my class during rotations that I barely spoke to during the first three years, and our class size is only 60 :) You might consider inviting a group to go out to dinner or bowling or game night or something...I know it's scary to initiate but I bet there are plenty of people feeling like you right now.

Me too!! Ugh. It was like half the people knew each other from day 1 from undergrad. :(

Anatomy Exam 1 tomorrow at 1PM. I'm waffling between terrified and cool as a cucumber.

Anatomy Exam 1 tomorrow at 1PM. I'm waffling between terrified and cool as a cucumber.
Same here!! I'm really calm with most things, but then I'll see a picture of an obscure artery or think about the written exam and I freak out again.

Here's hoping we will both do well! :)

The vet school here has today off, so instead of studying like I should do, I'm going to the Tour de Rum which is basically drunk Olympics all day. I am excited.

Reactions: 4 users
Block exam for all my classes Monday. Anatomy practical on Tuesday and essentially a final for one our minor classes on Thursday. Don't think I'll see much daylight the next few days....

Me too!! Ugh. It was like half the people knew each other from day 1 from undergrad. :(
I feel the exact same way and had a dream reiterate that feeling. Everyone is forming groups of friends and I feel like I'm butting in, which sucks.

@Ashgirl, @MnW2014, @kittyy and I survived our first anatomy practical yesterday. We had the 100 question written exam and the practical back to back. It was so stressful, and I'm pretty sure we shaved a few years off our lives, but it's over now. It wouldn't have been so bad if we didn't also have a cell bio exam and 3 quizzes the same week. But, I suppose this is life now.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a microanatomy exam tomorrow (written exam) and Wednesday (practical), and I. just. can't. focus. Every time I sit down to study it puts me in a comatose state. Why does histo have to be so boring?

I have a microanatomy exam tomorrow (written exam) and Wednesday (practical), and I. just. can't. focus. Every time I sit down to study it puts me in a comatose state. Why does histo have to be so boring?

That's how I feel about nutrition right now

Yup....first exam of the semester is Microanatomy for us too. Next week.......gross anatomy.....gulp!

Passed my first "real" quiz (we've had other little ones) for anatomy! Makes me feel better that vet school will be manageable.

And our first test is a week from today. I wish I had more motivation to study in general, I'm not great at the whole staying on top of things.

Passed my first "real" quiz (we've had other little ones) for anatomy! Makes me feel better that vet school will be manageable.

And our first test is a week from today. I wish I had more motivation to study in general, I'm not great at the whole staying on top of things.
What's your test in? Cell bio?

Phys test today was...something. Only 25 questions, so it's easy for your grade to go downhill quickly. :| Also didn't appreciate the questions with the answers: "A and B are correct, but not C," "B and C are correct, but not A, " "All of the above," "None of the above." UGH. UUUUUUUGH.

Phys test today was...something. Only 25 questions, so it's easy for your grade to go downhill quickly. :| Also didn't appreciate the questions with the answers: "A and B are correct, but not C," "B and C are correct, but not A, " "All of the above," "None of the above." UGH. UUUUUUUGH.

Oooooh, I hate that. My freshman Biology teacher did that all the time!

Anybody have any studying tips for anatomy? I am struggling...

I'm a visual learner, so I did a lot of re-drawing (very crude, nothing artistic in the slightest) and labeling and color coding. I would also go into the lab on weekends with a handful of other students and go around and quiz each other by pointing out structures on our cadavers. If you don't already, make sure to look at everyone else's cadavers and compare structures!

Anatomy's one of those subjects that people have a lot of different ways they like to study. One of the first things I would do when studying anatomy was to make quizlets with all the terms and very basic definitions to describe what/where they were in order to memorize the terms so that I'd have a "word bank" in my head ready to go for identifying things. Then I'd go through pictures/drawings at home and quiz myself because even though I'm very much a kinesthetic and visual learner, there were always too many distractions in the lab. I'd only actually go in and study on the cadavers after I more or less knew everything and would quiz myself on as many different specimens as I could to make sure I could tell what everything was in real life.

Our professor always made us state two reasons supporting why we thought the muscle/nerve/vessel etc. was what we thought it was. It helps you really understand the surrounding structures and use medical terminology to explain what you are looking at. I thought doing that helped tremendously as I was more of a book learner, which simply describes anatomically where to find "normal" anatomy. Visually confirming it in lab made me confident in my answers and sped up learning since I had to know three structures in the area to confirm one. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

It has been a while since I have had a class like anatomy (like over 10 years), I am essentially having to retrain myself. I go in on the weekends by myself on one day and make plans to meet with my group the next day. I do find that I have to go super early because too many people in there can be distracting. I have tried do charts, white boards, repetition... I think that I am getting too overwhelmed and frustrated. I felt really good going into and coming out of my second exam, but I bombed it (we got our grades back today).

I am doing well in all of my other classes. Anatomy is just killing me :( I meeting with one of my professors tomorrow to discuss matters and see what else I can try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

It has been a while since I have had a class like anatomy (like over 10 years), I am essentially having to retrain myself. I go in on the weekends by myself on one day and make plans to meet with my group the next day. I do find that I have to go super early because too many people in there can be distracting. I have tried do charts, white boards, repetition... I think that I am getting too overwhelmed and frustrated. I felt really good going into and coming out of my second exam, but I bombed it (we got our grades back today).

I am doing well in all of my other classes. Anatomy is just killing me :( I meeting with one of my professors tomorrow to discuss matters and see what else I can try.
Have you looked at colorado states dog anatomy website? I used it a lot when I couldn't get into the lab.

My Phys exam grade makes me want to :bigtears:, but my Anatomy exam grade makes me want to :heckyeah:.

I'm emotionally conflicted right now.

So question....

Do any of y'all use a tablet instead of a laptop for class? I'm getting tired of lugging mine around and am considering options. Thanks!

A

So question....

Do any of y'all use a tablet instead of a laptop for class? I'm getting tired of lugging mine around and am considering options. Thanks!

A

Yup I got the Samsung note pro after looking through recommendations on here. I love it and lots of people use I pads in my class and seem to have issues finding a good stylus. The handwriting function on the Samsung is incomparable. I see quite a few surfaces as well which seem pretty cool but I couldn't get the hang of it in the store and they are more expensive. I am really happy with my purchase :)

Reactions: 1 users
So question....

A
I use a samsung note pro as well, love it love it love it! Like kenggy said the handwriting is perfect, probably only matched by the surface.
I actually had an issue with it (I break all technology I look at apparently, it's a talent) and samsung has fixed it with no hassle and I didn't pay a dime, amazing customer service, so that's great as well!

There are lots of people in my class who use iPads, but they definitely have a harder time hand writing. And I know at least one girl with a surface, I think that's a really nice option but since it's basically a computer it costs the same as one.

Im preparing but still nervous for the exam!! and FYI we still havent met??? lol
Oh I'm definitely still nervous! But I'm mostly worried about keeping up with everything at once, cause the tests don't stop coming after they start....especially clin path, SO MANY LECTURES!
We haven't met to my knowledge, how crazy! I am PMing you :)

Oh I'm definitely still nervous! But I'm mostly worried about keeping up with everything at once, cause the tests don't stop coming after they start....especially clin path, SO MANY LECTURES!
We haven't met to my knowledge, how crazy! I am PMing you :)

I sent you a PM because I would also like to find out who you are. We probably met but didn't know we were SDNers.