Class Of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Endure, honestly I think it's hard for anyone to really distinguish between schools of similar caliber. UVA and Vandy are both in the top 25, and you can't go wrong attending either, so really your decision should come down to what you are looking for in a program, and what kind of lifestyle you would like - Nashville has so much more going on outside of the university than does Charlottesville, so if I was in your shoes, you can tell my decision would have nothing to do with the university and everything to so with location. If you like Virginia and all it has to offer (and by it I mean the state...) then call it a day at go to UVA? Besides, wouldn't you rather be a cavalier than a commodore? lol - all told, I think you'll be well poised for a promising career in medicine at either school - so go with your gut, or ignore prestige, and just stay true to yourself! By the way, CONGRATS!

That's the thing, I really enjoyed Nashville and Charlottesville. I swear I've never been this indecisive in my life. What really bothers me is this feeling that if I choose not to go to Vanderbilt that I will have thrown away an opportunity many would kill for. Don't get me wrong, I loved Vanderbilt and the South. I think my biggest issue with it is that I feel like it's going to be super intense - an environment that I'm really not used to being in. UVA seemed so chill, but who knows - maybe my perceptions are off.

I should also mention that I'm ireally nterested in academic medicine, so the "name" of the school I go to matters more than it really should.

woah I don't know what just happened.. but for the record, I did withdraw from Northwestern. My decision is currently between UVA and UVM.

@Oso and I will not be classmates at NU.
@Ace-Co-A and I very well may be classmates at UVA.. but not sure

and @Endure UVA is still a great school, so if you really do like it more than Vandy.... for reference, everyone I work with told me to pick UVA over Northwestern and Emory (if I had stayed on the waitlist)

@terp720 hey, thanks a lot! How come you decided against NU?

@Endure[/USER] -- you will do awesome at whichever school you choose!

Thanks, you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought maybe it was because you didn't want to go to school in third world country-like surroundings. Yes, I know, I know, Temple is safe and nothing happens to the med students there, but I just couldn't envision myself going to school in such a dangerous neighborhood.

Haha yea North Philly must be a terrible place to live. Isn't College Park pretty terrible, as well?

@Endure we went to school together??

Nope, I used UMD on my MDApps as a placeholder to district admissions officers. I went to a very, very tiny liberal arts state school that no one's ever heard of.

Nope, I used UMD on my MDApps as a placeholder to district admissions officers. I went to a very, very tiny liberal arts state school that no one's ever heard of.

Sneaky sneaky sir.

upload_2014-4-21_19-11-43.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
woah I don't know what just happened.. but for the record, I did withdraw from Northwestern. My decision is currently between UVA and UVM.

UVM? :thinking: Did they offer you $ or something?

@Endure UVA is still a great school, so if you really do like it more than Vandy.... for reference, everyone I work with told me to pick UVA over Northwestern and Emory (if I had stayed on the waitlist)

I agree :nod:

Last edited:
That's the thing, I really enjoyed Nashville and Charlottesville. I swear I've never been this indecisive in my life. What really bothers me is this feeling that if I choose not to go to Vanderbilt that I will have thrown away an opportunity many would kill for. Don't get me wrong, I loved Vanderbilt and the South. I think my biggest issue with it is that I feel like it's going to be super intense - an environment that I'm really not used to being in. UVA seemed so chill, but who knows = maybe my perceptions are off.

I should also mention that I'm ireally nterested in academic medicine, so the "name" of the school I go to matters more than it really should.

Bolded: who gives a **** man. It's not about what other people might what - it's your career, your investment of time, money and energy, your life. Do what you want - not what the popular opinion might dictate. Even if you are interested in academic medicine - noone will turn their nose up at your residency application / attending position inquiry if you attend UVA over Vandy, or Vandy over UVA. Both are a huge bonus for pedigree, so you can't go wrong either way. I promise you, if you apply the same attitude towards studying and research and education at either school, the end result will be the same - you will do your IM residency at JHU, and you will go on to Mayo to do a nephro fellowship....or you'll do your general surgery residency at MassGen and then you'll do a CT surgery fellowship at UCSF - if you attend UVA or Vandy. Your opportunities to build a strong academic pedigree for yourself will not be hindered at either school....so again, go with your gut - what's going to make you happy for the next 4 years!

@terp720 hey, thanks a lot! How come you decided against NU?

I really liked a lot about the school but these were the main reasons:

1) I knew I didn't want to live in a city, it's just not fun for me, so Charlottesville is much more my thing
2) I wasn't really into the whole 4 year research thing (it's like a repeat of college for me) because I don't know what I'm interested in and I don't want to have to pick during first year
3) my interview day didn't leave me thrilled
4) financial aid package was not so great compared to other schools.

Haha yea North Philly must be a terrible place to live. Isn't College Park pretty terrible, as well?

Oh my god, I visited Philadelphia with a friend and after the museum district we wandered over by where temple was and my friend said "Welcome to Little Uganda." I don't think I've ever blown more stop signs in my life.

Oh my god, I visited Philadelphia with a friend and after the museum district we wandered over by where temple was and my friend said "Welcome to Little Uganda." I don't think I've ever blown more stop signs in my life.

It's been an interesting four years here...