Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, what are the absolute minimal things we have to bring to the interview besides ourselves wearing a suit?
No one has mentioned breath mints yet... gum is a no-no:nono:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No one has mentioned breath mints yet... gum is a no-no:nono:

Such a good idea. I definitely need to bring Kleenex too. Hand sanitizer is a great idea too. Good thing my bag is big -- it's gonna be full!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Checking my school list again. Can't tell if I should add more (actually, I think I should, I just don't know which ones). Tentative list is in mostly preferred order. Safety/Target/Reach is based strictly on numbers. Most other schools whose medians are within 4 LizzyM points of mine have been checked and eliminated based on primary care mission/odd curriculum/greater than 8 hours from Philly (would prefer not to fly home, but am open to suggestions). I think I'm aiming for about 15-17(?) total.

Alright here's the list so far:
R--UPenn – Perelman School of Medicine
R--Univ of Pitt – School of Medicine
T--Brown – Warren Alpert Medical School
T/S--Jefferson Medical College
T/S--TempleU – School of Medicine
All Equal:
T--Wake Forest – School of Medicine
T--Tufts University – School of Medicine
S--Penn State – Hershey College of Medicine​
S--DrexelU – College of Medicine
S--GeorgetownU – School of Medicine

Other schools I have looked at (also in preferred order, * indicates likely going to add to list).
Reach
*Duke
Case Western
Giesel at Dartmouth

*T/R – Johns Hopkins
T/R – NYU

On Target
*Albert Einstein College of Medicine
*Boston University
Univ of Rochester SOM (PBL curriculum ONLY; I think?)
Virginia Tech Carilion (PBL curriculum ONLY; I think?)

Safety
*Commonwealth, PA
*New York Medical College
Frank H. Netter School of Med at Quinnpiac

Iffy
Cooper Medical School -Only opened 2 years ago (No class has graduated yet; no Alumni network)

Thoughts/help?

wow!!!!! No mean to sound like a freak but you must have done freakin epiclly incredible on your MCAT!!! CONGRATS!! 1st time test taker at the end of this month, any suggestions? Taking it as a rising senior in order to avoid the 2015 MCAT! Please and thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow!!!!! No mean to sound like a freak but you must have done freakin epiclly incredible on your MCAT!!! CONGRATS!! 1st time test taker at the end of this month, any suggestions? Taking it as a rising senior in order to avoid the 2015 MCAT! Please and thank you!!
umm there are plenty of members in this thread who might have better advice :)rolleyes: @gettheleadout :nod:) as they've done considerably better than me - In fact a lot of them have 37+'s. But my advice is basically to follow the SN2ed method and learn from your mistakes. Also, get comfortable practicing in less-than-ideal situations. I've heard a lot of other people complain about how noisy their testing center was.

Idk what other advice to give, just make sure you know everything on the AAMC subjects pages inside and out and get a good feel for the verbal questions. I didn't use the Self Assessments, but I feel like I could have benefited from them. Otherwise, good luck next month.

First interview coming up at the end of the month and then one soon in the beg of Sept ahhhhhh! Anyone else nervous?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Let's compile an interview packing list! So far...

Bring:
-lint roller
-primary + secondary apps for review
-notes on school
-small gift for your host

Day Of (on you):
-tide pen
-pen (and case -- for your highlighters in every color)
-notebook
-ID/wallet/cellphone
-umbrella
-suit + shoes
-hand sanitizer
-band-aids (@hellanutella ...what are these for?? )
-breath mints
-advil / motrin

This seems like a lot of things to carry on the day of...

First interview coming up at the end of the month and then one soon in the beg of Sept, ahhhhhh! Anyone else nervous?!?!

I'm super nervous! Scheduled my first one for mid-Sep so I have a while, but interviews :nailbiting: Was hoping to have a school I "cared less about" for a first interview...and then realized that I care about all the schools :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of student hosts, are you guys using them? Part of me thinks it's an invaluable resource and I should take advantage of it + it'll be closer to campus than a hotel + save money, but I'm also worried about not getting a good night of sleep/uncomfortable sofa haha.

Bring:
-lint roller
-notes on school

Day Of (on you):
-tide pen
-notebook
-ID/wallet/cellphone
-umbrella
-suit + shoes
-hand sanitizer
-breath mints
-advil / motrin

I'm assuming you're female and will have a small bag with you? I can't imagine trying to fit all of that in my front/back pocket x.x

Speaking of student hosts, are you guys using them? Part of me thinks it's an invaluable resource and I should take advantage of it + it'll be closer to campus than a hotel + save money, but I'm also worried about not getting a good night of sleep/uncomfortable sofa haha.

Yes, I'm going to request a student host for the night before whenever possible. Personally I'm pretty good at sleeping anywhere, and I bet the hosts will want to be sleeping too (they have classes, and we're probably the 15th prospective student they've hosted). Sleeping bag + nice carpeted floor = no problemo ! And they can give you a ton of insight into the school and highlights of the surrounding area, which will be very important when judging fit. And futons are awesome! Fingers crossed for a futon loool

I'm assuming you're female and will have a small bag with you? I can't imagine trying to fit all of that in my front/back pocket x.x

I am but I hate carrying purses...was hoping to get away with a pen and notepad clutched in my hand :unsure: and maybe ID and credit card in a pocket. I think the other option is a briefcase-ish thing to stuff necessities in. OH mens' suit jackets have secret pockets on the inside don't they?!
@hellanutella @sunflower18 are you carrying bags?

Bring:
-lint roller
-notes on school

Day Of (on you):
-tide pen
-notebook
-ID/wallet/cellphone
-umbrella
-suit + shoes
-hand sanitizer
-breath mints
-advil / motrin

Ahahaha yes that looks like a very thorough inventory!
I bring bandaids in case of surprise blisters or papercuts. :p I've broken in my shoes without much of a fuss, but I still bring a mini-first aid kit everywhere just in case.

I'm personally bringing a small (13") briefcase – I'm not much of a purse person, so all my bags are fairly masculine. It sits at my hips and has dividers inside for folders/papers. I can fit a water bottle, my wallet, and a change of shoes in there... and then it's stuffed full.
70799_blk_a0

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm going to request a student host for the night before whenever possible. Personally I'm pretty good at sleeping anywhere, and I bet the hosts will want to be sleeping too (they have classes, and we're probably the 15th prospective student they've hosted). Sleeping bag + nice carpeted floor = no problemo ! And they can give you a ton of insight into the school and highlights of the surrounding area, which will be very important when judging fit. And futons are awesome! Fingers crossed for a futon loool
Ooh thats true, hm I'm not sure how I'd fit a sleeping bag in my luggage though. I was planning on doing all my luggage as carry-on; are you checking a bag?

Alas, a lot of my interviews don't have flights out right after the interview ends... so it looks like I'm staying for 2 nights. I was thinking about staying in a hotel the first night and then with a host the second? All the schools thus far have put a one-night limit on hosts, so I don't want to overstay my welcome. Is that acceptable?

I was also thinking of doing CouchSurfing (went through western Europe that way), but hosts don't seem to be as prevalent here in the US. Personally, I may need to get decent sleep the night before my interview so I think I'll stick with school-approved hosts/hotels for the first night and then rough it from there. :shrug:

My first interview (less than 2 weeks eeek) doesn't have a host program running yet, so I went ahead and ponied up the cash for a hotel. There was really only one hotel that gave interview discounts and it's a fairly fancy 4+ star place, so I guess I'm just going to go ahead and pamper myself for my first interview. ;)

Ooh thats true, hm I'm not sure how I'd fit a sleeping bag in my luggage though. I was planning on doing all my luggage as carry-on; are you checking a bag?

I'm not going to check a bag – I've actually made it through month long trips with only carry on haha. I'm going to carry my briefcase and then bring a big roll-on (I have one that just fits in the overhead bins). If you pack just right you can fit in a sleeping bag or at least a big, fleece-y blanket. I think a pillow might be a tight fit. Not sure what I'm going to do to avoid wrinkling up my suit... may just have to iron it once I get to my destination.

Ahhh interview travel logistics are harder than I thought.

Alas, a lot of my interviews don't have flights out right after the interview ends... so it looks like I'm staying for 2 nights. I was thinking about staying in a hotel the first night and then with a host the second? All the schools thus far have put a one-night limit on hosts, so I don't want to overstay my welcome. Is that acceptable?

I was also thinking of doing CouchSurfing (went through western Europe that way), but hosts don't seem to be as prevalent here in the US. Personally, I may need to get decent sleep the night before my interview so I think I'll stick with school-approved hosts/hotels for the first night and then rough it from there. :shrug:

My first interview (less than 2 weeks eeek) doesn't have a host program running yet, so I went ahead and ponied up the cash for a hotel. There was really only one hotel that gave interview discounts and it's a fairly fancy 4+ star place, so I guess I'm just going to go ahead and pamper myself for my first interview. ;)

I'm not going to check a bag – I've actually made it through month long trips with only carry on haha. I'm going to carry my briefcase and then bring a big roll-on (I have one that just fits in the overhead bins). If you pack just right you can fit in a sleeping bag or at least a big, fleece-y blanket. I think a pillow might be a tight fit. Not sure what I'm going to do to avoid wrinkling up my suit... may just have to iron it once I get to my destination.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, for my first interview on a Monday I'm arriving on a Sunday afternoon then not leaving until Tuesday morning. I'm not sure if I should request the host for Sunday night to get insight from the students from before my interview, or if I should do it after when anything I learn will be too late. Luckily my first interviews aren't until mid-Sept so I have a little more time than you (August interviews seem crazy to me, I consider August II's early lol).

I'm thinking about staying with the student Sunday night, Interviewing Monday, Staying with the student host Monday night/prepping for my next interview, then flying out Tuesday morning for another interview on Wed. Jeez these logistics are not fun @_@.

And wow, you must be a master of packing. I always struggle to fit everything in my carry on as a guy without a sleeping bag/blanket! I need to up my game haha.

Ooh I like your briefcase! I'm hoping to find a similar treasure when I raid my mom's closet.
Yeah same I'm staying 2-3 nights I think. Also I'd like to spend a day looking at the school/city to get a feel for what each place is like...going to try to stay with a student host the night before, and then ask around for sorority peeps for the second day, and hotel as a last resort. I don't mind a sketchy place like Motel 6 :rolleyes:

Backpacking trick: pillow = pillowcase, stuff with your clothes.

I think carry on. "Carry on" is a whole carry-on suitcase and a backpack, which surprisingly fits a lot of stuff! Usually 4 days worth of apparel fits easily into just a backpack (reusing jeans, wearing jackets). Perhaps instead of a sleeping bag, just a blanket would suffice (couches are soft.) Or ask around if anyone you know owns a backpacking sleeping bag (they're small) and would lend it to you.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, for my first interview on a Monday I'm arriving on a Sunday afternoon then not leaving until Tuesday morning. I'm not sure if I should request the host for Sunday night to get insight from the students from before my interview, or if I should do it after when anything I learn will be too late. Luckily my first interviews aren't until mid-Sept so I have a little more time than you (August interviews seem crazy to me, I consider August II's early lol).

I'm thinking about staying with the student Sunday night, Interviewing Monday, Staying with the student host Monday night/prepping for my next interview, then flying out Tuesday morning for another interview on Wed. Jeez these logistics are not fun @_@.

And wow, you must be a master of packing. I always struggle to fit everything in my carry on as a guy without a sleeping bag/blanket! I need to up my game haha.

None of my schools have even put me in touch with hosts yet, so I may very well be hotelling it. Yeah, I got assigned super early dates. o___o I have one interview late August, a week break, and then 3 interviews back-to-back in early September. Jet lag is going to be a beezy.

That may be a good plan. If you're confident you can get good sleep on a couch/carpeted floor, then by all means go for the host the first night! It may be advantageous to get a feel of the school's "fit" beforehand.

Yeah same I'm staying 2-3 nights I think. Also I'd like to spend a day looking at the school/city to get a feel for what each place is like...going to try to stay with a student host the night before, and then ask around for sorority peeps for the second day, and hotel as a last resort. I don't mind a sketchy place like Motel 6 :rolleyes:

Backpacking trick: pillow = pillowcase, stuff with your clothes.

Good plan (hope you don't have to opt for a Motel 6, though haha). The bolded is an awesome tip! I may have to resort to that.

I have a "mummy" sleeping bag, which I got from a friend who did a lot of peak bagging. It's pretty goofy looking, but it's essentially a cocoon-like bag, thus eliminating the need for a pillow. You can also freak out your host if you bundle yourself up in one of these and lay motionless on their living room floor like some sort of human-sized pupa.

New-Free-Shipping-Camping-mummy-sleeping-bag-3-degrees-600g-600fill-90-white-duck-down-sleeping.jpg

Couchsurfing for interview? No. Bad idea. :stop:

Hahaha thanks for bringing me back to my senses. Broke college student habits are hard to give up. :(

However, I had good experiences abroad... admittedly, the hosts often weren't concerned about you getting a good night's rest (lots of university-aged "sleep is for the weak" types), but I got to meet some truly awesome people along the way. Also had good experiences via airbnb, though I mostly arranged for long-term/weekly stays. I think plenty of people will let you rent per night, though.

I'm super nervous! Scheduled my first one for mid-Sep so I have a while, but interviews :nailbiting: Was hoping to have a school I "cared less about" for a first interview...and then realized that I care about all the schools :confused:
I am going to my #2 choice first. Although, I can't really be choosy with my stats :/ Hoping my early interview will help me get in! I just want this process to be over with in Octoberrrrr (hoping+ praying x 10000)!!! That is only 2 months away guys!! :)

Last edited:
If money were no object, then I'd probably stay in a hotel every night (better night sleep), but as it is I'm trying to make use of student hosting whenever possible.

Wow!!!! Active discussion here hahaha ok!

@turayza I'm definitely bringing a bag with me to my interviews. I really like having a bag to hold because I feel like I can put a bunch of stuff in it and have more control over my circumstances. It's fairly large but not overwhelming so. Brown leather. I like it! Enough room for all of that stuff. Good list by the way!!

As far as staying with people goes... yeah, I have to stay two nights at all of my interviews too, cause I couldn't find red-eye flights :( For two of my interviews so far, I'm staying with a local friend, so I will stay the whole duration of my trip no problem. For the first interview, I'm going with a family member and we're taking an extra day in DC to sightsee, so we're staying in a hotel. For the other two, I'm hoping to stay with a student host (maybe a different one each night?), but if I can't, I will probably stay with a host the night before the interview and a hotel the night following the interview. All of my flights leaving are really early, so I'd feel bad waking up a host by sneaking out at 5:00 am. It'd be nice if my hotel could give me a shuttle to the airport :thumbup:

I'm getting nervous about interviews though!!! My first one is at the end of August, so about 2.5 weeks, and then I have one every week for the four weeks after that. If I get any more interviews, I am desperately hoping for October dates because I'm going to be jetlagged as all hell throughout September.

EDIT: Also, yeah, I'm interviewing at my two preliminary favourites as #3 and #5, so I'm glad I get a bit of practice beforehand... Though I could totally hate those and love a different school, who knows. I'm keeping a totally open mind.

Wow!!!! Active discussion here hahaha ok!

@turayza I'm definitely bringing a bag with me to my interviews. I really like having a bag to hold because I feel like I can put a bunch of stuff in it and have more control over my circumstances. It's fairly large but not overwhelming so. Brown leather. I like it! Enough room for all of that stuff. Good list by the way!!

As far as staying with people goes... yeah, I have to stay two nights at all of my interviews too, cause I couldn't find red-eye flights :( For two of my interviews so far, I'm staying with a local friend, so I will stay the whole duration of my trip no problem. For the first interview, I'm going with a family member and we're taking an extra day in DC to sightsee, so we're staying in a hotel. For the other two, I'm hoping to stay with a student host (maybe a different one each night?), but if I can't, I will probably stay with a host the night before the interview and a hotel the night following the interview. All of my flights leaving are really early, so I'd feel bad waking up a host by sneaking out at 5:00 am. It'd be nice if my hotel could give me a shuttle to the airport :thumbup:

I'm getting nervous about interviews though!!! My first one is at the end of August, so about 2.5 weeks, and then I have one every week for the four weeks after that. If I get any more interviews, I am desperately hoping for October dates because I'm going to be jetlagged as all hell throughout September.

EDIT: Also, yeah, I'm interviewing at my two preliminary favourites as #3 and #5, so I'm glad I get a bit of practice beforehand... Though I could totally hate those and love a different school, who knows. I'm keeping a totally open mind.
I knowwww I am soooo nervous too!! I have last 2-3 secondaries left to do, then I will buckle up for prep. :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

I'm doing podiatry but we don't have our own C.O. 2019 thread over there.

I feel like such an outsider. ;_;

....not really. What's up everybody?

Finished my overnight scribe shift...gonna stay up the whole day so I can fall asleep at a normal time tonight and wake up before my morning mock interview. I wonder if this will work...

Finished my overnight scribe shift...gonna stay up the whole day so I can fall asleep at a normal time tonight and wake up before my morning mock interview. I wonder if this will work...

Sounds like a great plan. Chug 'dem red bulls :rolleyes:

For some reason I thought this morning would bring a lot of II news — interviews came in weeks ago, and now that we're pushing into the 2nd Monday in August I expected a lot more. Hm. I had a dream last night that I got a Perelman interview over-night (which I didn't), but that shows where my life's stressors are.

...I'm getting nervous about interviews though!!! My first one is at the end of August, so about 2.5 weeks, and then I have one every week for the four weeks after that. If I get any more interviews, I am desperately hoping for October dates because I'm going to be jetlagged as all hell throughout September.

+1
I have an interview coming up in two weeks exactly - my only problem is that I help with new student orientation for my university - so my next two weeks will be packed! Almost zero time to prepare, and it's one of my top choices... followed by another interview four days later for a school that's in my top 5...

+1
I have an interview coming up in two weeks exactly - my only problem is that I help with new student orientation for my university - so my next two weeks will be packed! Almost zero time to prepare, and it's one of my top choices... followed by another interview four days later for a school that's in my top 5...

Yikes!! Scary!! I'm sure you'll do great though :) It's nice that you'll be really busy because then you won't have time to get nervous!

Sounds like a great plan. Chug 'dem red bulls :rolleyes:
Don't have any. I did have an iced coffee right after my shift ended, tho. Trying to do some interview prep before my mock interview tmrw. Ugh all I want to do is relax and do nothing productive.

+1

Ditto. Kind of glad I'm doing a Monday interview, since I can come in on the weekend without taking [too much] time off work.
Stay strong! I send extra kudos to all those applying while still in school. You guys must have godlike multitasking skills!

For some reason I thought this morning would bring a lot of II news — interviews came in weeks ago, and now that we're pushing into the 2nd Monday in August I expected a lot more. Hm. I had a dream last night that I got a Perelman interview over-night (which I didn't), but that shows where my life's stressors are.

It's been eerily quiet. Calm before the storm, perhaps? :xf: Some schools have interviews starting early September, but they haven't even given IIs out yet... (lookin' at you, Cornell, Sinai, & CCLM).

Mondays .... boo ...

Went to Portland over the weekend for some nice tax-free shopping! Love my new LG G3. Such a sexy phone. And such good food in Portland~

HyQTjGzl.jpg

tn16Va3l.jpg

Anyways ... gotta genotype 34 mice now. :boom:

Reactions: 4 users
Mondays .... boo ...

Went to Portland over the weekend for some nice tax-free shopping! Love my new LG G3. Such a sexy phone. And such good food in Portland~

HyQTjGzl.jpg

tn16Va3l.jpg

That looks AMAZING!!! Where is that??!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Mondays .... boo ...

HyQTjGzl.jpg

tn16Va3l.jpg

Holy cow. :eek: The icing-work on those cakes is practically fine art.

Mondays .... boo ...

HyQTjGzl.jpg

tn16Va3l.jpg

Wow that looks delicious! I want all the cakes! (I'm in lab now too...)

Ain't gonna lie y'all got real boring real fast with this whole talk about interviews and shizz :meh::meh:

Where's the obsession over tops and buffers at like damn

Maybe I should've applied this cycle just to be part of the "in" crowd

...lol who am I kidding nvm

Mission failed: my microsleeps caught up to me and I've full blown napped for like 5 hours. I guess next time I'll just sleep after my overnight shifts.

Just finished tail snipping 34 mice ..... Find out heat bath doesn't have enough space for all 34 tail samples so I can't incubate all of it tonight. Hooray for staggered genotyping....:boom:

Just finished tail snipping 34 mice ..... Find out heat bath doesn't have enough space for all 34 tail samples so I can't incubate all of it tonight. Hooray for staggered genotyping....:boom:

Definitely one of those days... and without any IIs to cheer us up. -_____- You have failed me, Monday.

Reactions: 3 users
Off topic, but today in the real world: RIP Robin Williams. You will be missed. :(

Off topic, but today in the real world: RIP Robin Williams. You will be missed. :(
Wow. I can't even believe it. The worst part is my girlfriend's 14 year-old brother doesn't even remember what he looks like. How do you not know Mrs. Doubtfire, or Jumanji, or RV, or like ALL of his movies. He was an awesome comedian and he'll most certainly be missed.

Definitely one of those days... and without any IIs to cheer us up. -_____- You have failed me, Monday.
Yup. Hopefully, ADCOMs met today and will release a bunch tomorrow!!!

And Robin Williams man....so unexpected...

Really sad about Robin Williams. I think mental health needs to become much more of a priority in healthcare research and treatment.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I watched Patch Adams as a kid and it was my favorite movie. My friend used to work with him, and he is totally an alcohol addict (and cursed a lot too!).

CONGRATS @No Limits ON EINSTEIN!

You really are getting that NY love. Hope everyone gets a shower of IIs today!

Reactions: 3 users
CONGRATS @No Limits ON EINSTEIN!

You really are getting that NY love. Hope everyone gets a shower of IIs today!
Thank you so much:)

Monday was pretty quite hopefully today will bring in tons of interviews for everyone!!