Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Pr'ed doing seated overhead press with dumbbells. Warmed up with 5x30lb, 5x40 lb, then did 3x10x50lb, got 1x10 with 55lb, and then managed to eek out 1x10 with 60lb dbs.

I think I'm going to join a boxing gym for the fall/winter/spring. There's a groupon going on and I think it would be awesome as hell!

Reactions: 1 user
Pr'ed doing seated overhead press with dumbbells. Warmed up with 5x30lb, 5x40 lb, then did 3x10x50lb, got 1x10 with 55lb, and then managed to eek out 1x10 with 60lb dbs.

I think I'm going to join a boxing gym for the fall/winter/spring. There's a groupon going on and I think it would be awesome as hell!
Congrats homie! Yeah PRing is such a great feeling. Not too long ago I PRed decline bench for 275 1x7 (and it was my 4th set after 135, 205, and 225!!!), really surprised myself but made me so happy the rest of the day hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)

Last night I had a Pr for amount of tortilla chips and salsa consumed in one sitting.... clearly we react to the stress of med school application season in different ways.

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats homie! Yeah PRing is such a great feeling. Not too long ago I PRed decline bench for 275 1x7 (and it was my 4th set after 135, 205, and 225!!!), really surprised myself but made me so happy the rest of the day hahaha

Nice! How much do you weigh? I'm sitting at about 165 right now. Getting back into lifting after having two back surgeries. Wish I could do the fun stuff like deads, squats, BB row, etc, but sadly that's not in the cards any longer.

Last night I had a Pr for amount of tortilla chips and salsa consumed in one sitting.... clearly we react to the stress of med school application season in different ways.
hahaha omg the extent to how much i relate to this. I'm starting to not allow myself to buy bags of chips especially from costco because I'm lucky if they last more than 2 days...

Reactions: 2 users
Nice! How much do you weigh? I'm sitting at about 165 right now. Getting back into lifting after having two back surgeries. Wish I could do the fun stuff like deads, squats, BB row, etc, but sadly that's not in the cards any longer.
I'm around 225 at the moment, tryna cut down to like 220/215 so hopefully that works out. Yeah I stopped deadlifting due to lower back probs :/, however I squat with a belt and that helps me a lot. Deadlifting with a belt is pointless in my opinion because it takes away from the back workout and makes it more legs you know? But I hear yah dude, the gym honestly helps me get through school, and more importantly life lol.

I eat ice cream when I'm stressed. And it has to have a significant amount of saturated fat (i.e. Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Dazs).

Reactions: 9 users
I bought four pints of ben and jerry's yesterday when it was on sale at CVS for $3.50 a pint. Cheaper than PBR!

But yeah, come at me bro's! ICE CREAM!!!

I stayed up past midnight last night playing borderlands 2 and eating phish food. WHADDUPPP!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I eat ice cream when I'm stressed. And it has to have a significant amount of saturated fat (i.e. Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Dazs).
Same. Except also when I am far from stressed. I just eat ice cream. A lot.

I'm around 225 at the moment, tryna cut down to like 220/215 so hopefully that works out. Yeah I stopped deadlifting due to lower back probs :/, however I squat with a belt and that helps me a lot. Deadlifting with a belt is pointless in my opinion because it takes away from the back workout and makes it more legs you know? But I hear yah dude, the gym honestly helps me get through school, and more importantly life lol.

That was cycling for me in college. I still miss it. Brought up my bike this past weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to get a few rides in here and there. There's nothing like a 60+mile ride to clear your head.

I feel that I can eat less of it and feel satisfied. If I'm going to eat dessert, it better be awesome. I hate eating ****ty dessert because I consider that a waste of calories.

Nom.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been more bored than stressed lately. Anyone watch Arrow? I'm on season 2 now and it's really good!

You just described my life.

Personally, I spring for these lovely little devils:
Gelato2_thumb1.jpg

Yes, I am a gelato snob. The Southern butter pecan Talenti is sooooo amazing, though. I could eat (and have eaten) a whole pint in once sitting.

I've been more bored than stressed lately. Anyone watch Arrow? I'm on season 2 now and it's really good!

Yeah, things have really begun to wind down :( Silence here for the past two weeks. I'm hopeful that more IIs will trickle in, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were to be the end of things for me.

Currently trying to rustle up housing for my next interviews... x___x all the good deals on airbnb are taken up.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Gelato2_thumb1.jpg

Yes, I am a gelato snob. The Southern butter pecan Talenti is sooooo amazing, though. I could eat (and have eaten) a whole pint in once sitting.

Yeah, things have really begun to wind down :( Silence here for the past two weeks. I'm hopeful that more IIs will trickle in, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were to be the end of things for me.

Currently trying to rustle up housing for my next interviews... x___x all the good deals on airbnb are taken up.

I've never seen those but they look amazing!!!! I love lemon gelato / sorbet. Mmmmm :)

Silence here for quite a while also. I think this is it for me, minus maybe my state school. Which is fine!! I just hope I end up at a school I love :)

Argh yeah housing is tough. I love student hosts!!!

arrow is awesome! excited for the new season

Just finished at OSU and this place is awesome!!!! Omg I am so excited. Doesn't hurt that the weather is absolutely lovely here today :)

Reactions: 6 users
Just finished at OSU and this place is awesome!!!! Omg I am so excited. Doesn't hurt that the weather is absolutely lovely here today :)
Quiet, you. I will not tolerate buckeye propaganda on this thread.

Reactions: 5 users

Gelato2_thumb1.jpg

Oh I love that gelato! The sea salt caramel one is so decadent.

I bet you'll have some more II before this is all over! I had weeks and weeks of silence in the beginning, and mine are just now slowly coming in (granted I don't have everyone else's amazing stats, but I think it still shows that they're releasing IIs steadily and silence for a while might not be the end - hopefully!)

I am so thankful for student hosts. Now if only the airfare were less expensive! I have no idea if I have frequent flyer miles saved, but I doubt they're enough to offset the price of some of these tickets! Really exciting though and lots to look forward to.

Just kidding, obviously. Even I can accept that OSU has an awesome med school :p

Gelato2_thumb1.jpg

I've never seen those but they look amazing!!!! I love lemon gelato / sorbet. Mmmmm :)

Silence here for quite a while also. I think this is it for me, minus maybe my state school. Which is fine!! I just hope I end up at a school I love :)

Argh yeah housing is tough. I love student hosts!!!
You might be East River neighbors (Cornell and NYU) a year from now!

Hey guys! I've been complete at most of my schools for 2-6 weeks now, and have gotten back 1 II, 1 rejection, and 1 hold, and am slightly starting to freak out and thinking of adding more schools! Would a mid-late sept secondary submission date be worth it at this point? I applied to 26 schools and would probably add around 4 more. Any insight would be very greatly appreciated :)

Hey guys! I've been complete at most of my schools for 2-6 weeks now, and have gotten back 1 II, 1 rejection, and 1 hold, and am slightly starting to freak out and thinking of adding more schools! Would a mid-late sept secondary submission date be worth it at this point? I applied to 26 schools and would probably add around 4 more. Any insight would be very greatly appreciated :)
You haven't been complete that long. Nothing got panic about :)

You might be East River neighbors (Cornell and NYU) a year from now!

Crossing my fingers! I'd be over the moon to attend Cornell or Sinai. OR both. Can multiple med schools have joint custody of one student? I love so many of them!

If I end up in NYC, you can bet sunflower and I will be hitting up Smac on the regular.

Looks like you're off to an awesome start! (I think I recall seeing you post in the Pritzker thread?). IMHO, I'd wait... 2-6 weeks is nothing for most schools. Chicago has an infamously fast turnaround, so if they're just getting to your app, I'm betting most of your schools haven't even reviewed your stuff yet. They're probably backlogged with all of us paranoid earlybirds. ;)

Good luck! :luck:

Crossing my fingers! I'd be over the moon to attend Cornell or Sinai. OR both. Can multiple med schools have joint custody of one student? I love so many of them!

If I end up in NYC, you can bet sunflower and I will be hitting up Smac on the regular.

Looks like you're off to an awesome start! (I think I recall seeing you post in the Pritzker thread?). IMHO, I'd wait... 2-6 weeks is nothing for most schools. Chicago has an infamously fast turnaround, so if they're just getting to your app, I'm betting most of your schools haven't even reviewed your stuff yet. They're probably backlogged with all of us paranoid earlybirds. ;)

Good luck! :luck:
You can get your MD at one school and a Master's (if you want a 5 year experience like me-lol) at another school! (I'm very interested in public health and epidemiology). Sadly, Cornell doesn't have an MPH program (still my favorite NY school though) but that's not necessarily a bad thing because Columbia, Sinai, and NYU all offer that degree.

Edit: or you can possibly do research at multiple places!

I'm going to go take a nap. Wake me up when I have more II's....

Gelato2_thumb1.jpg

OMG I love Talenti! Their Sicilian Pistachio is delicious!

Gelato2_thumb1.jpg

Omg my girlfriend is obsessed with talenti gelato but for some reason I have been hesitant to try it. I am an ice cream FANATIC but I had a bad experience with gelato when I was like 8 and haven't tried it since. Thinking of giving it another shot. I'm looking at you, Sea Salt Caramel :naughty:. And I downed a Ben & Jerry's Core pint before. The hazelnut core ones legit taste like nutella ice cream @hellanutella

Omg my girlfriend is obsessed with talenti gelato but for some reason I have been hesitant to try it. I am an ice cream FANATIC but I had a bad experience with gelato when I was like 8 and haven't tried it since. Thinking of giving it another shot. I'm looking at you, Sea Salt Caramel :naughty:. And I downed a Ben & Jerry's Core pint before. The hazelnut core ones legit taste like nutella ice cream @hellanutella

YES. I've had the core one before! It was divine. The salted caramel core one is also fantastic.

Gelato is a lot like ice cream, only it has a denser, smoother texture. A lot of this varies by brand, too.
Talenti salted caramel is definitely one of my favourites. It's got little chocolate-caramel truffles in it. :love: Their double dark chocolate also has a dash of vermouth in it, so it has a really rich, luxurious taste.

YES. I've had the core one before! It was divine. The salted caramel core one is also fantastic.

Gelato is a lot like ice cream, only it has a denser, smoother texture. A lot of this varies by brand, too.
Talenti salted caramel is definitely one of my favourites. It's got little chocolate-caramel truffles in it. :love: Their double dark chocolate also has a dash of vermouth in it, so it has a really rich, luxurious taste.

Really tempting me to set aside my studying and make a quick ice cream run... Must...resist...

Your description is mouth watering...

My favorite is definitely black raspberry chocolate--it's so rich with tart berry flavor and little bits of chocolate to add texture :happy:

Last edited:

Okay that's it, goin to grab a pint after my interview on Friday, you just had to mention the truffles :heckyeah:

Okay that's it, goin to grab a pint after my interview on Friday, you just had to mention the truffles :heckyeah:
Why not bring some for the interviewers?!
I'd happily discuss matters related to patient care, health reform, ethics, and my career goals over some tasty saturated fat aka Haagen Dazs:p

Why not bring some for the interviewers?!
I'd happily discuss matters related to patient care, health reform, ethics, and my career goals over some tasty saturated fat aka Haagen Dazs:p

Hmmm it's funny... none of my interviews have had questions about patient care, health reform, or ethics.....

Oh man. All this talk of frozen treats makes me want to utilize my store's sale on talenti AND Haagen Dazs.

I've been considering the dark chocolate talenti and I think I might have to take hellanutella's advice!

That 3/4 pint of phish food was no match for me.

Reactions: 4 users
dumb question but I'm asking anyway:

AAMC says "Each school notify all applicants - other than Combined College/M.D., Early Decision Program (EDP), and deferred matriculation applicants - of acceptance to medical school only after October 15 of each admission cycle. It may be appropriate to communicate notifications of decisions other than acceptance to medical school to applicants prior to October 15."

Does this mean that the earliest we can hear is on October 15th? Or does "after October 15th" mean that we don't get decisions until starting on October 16th?

AAMC says "Each school notify all applicants - other than Combined College/M.D., Early Decision Program (EDP), and deferred matriculation applicants - of acceptance to medical school only after October 15 of each admission cycle. It may be appropriate to communicate notifications of decisions other than acceptance to medical school to applicants prior to October 15."

Does this mean that the earliest we can hear is on October 15th? Or does "after October 15th" mean that we don't get decisions until starting on October 16th?

Unless you applied early decision or you're a Texas applicant, earliest you can hear back is October 15th!

OSU told the applicants to "look at the portal the morning of Oct 16th" because they'd put it up "at midnight on Oct 15" so idk. Sounds like the 16th. Why must they tease us so :(

OSU told the applicants to "look at the portal the morning of Oct 16th" because they'd put it up "at midnight on Oct 15" so idk. Sounds like the 16th. Why must they tease us so :(

Baylor told us the 15th...SOMEONE IS LYING AND I NEED TO KNOW WHO

Reactions: 4 users
Rochester and GW said they would more than likely have decisions by oct 15. I think a lot of schools release decisions on both the 15th and 16th.

Yup! I think I'll get to hear from USC on the 15th, UVA on the 16th, and UCI around Halloween. Not sure if my next batch of interviews (late Sept-early Oct) will be completed in advance enough to be eligible for an Oct 15th verdict.

My favourite is Sinai, who said "sometime" in October.... not like I needed an excuse to refresh my email super compulsively. ;) But for you, Sinai, I would do ALL the refreshing.

Both UNC and ECU said it could take anywhere from 6-12 weeks to come to a final decision. UNC admissions committee, in particular, only meets twice a month. So I don't expect to hear back exactly on 10/15. Which is fine, because I have my Mizzou interview on that day anyway, so I wouldn't be able to check or answer my phone regardless.

Many congrats to @hellanutella for UCSD!! Very exciting!!! :)

Also, I've been meaning to ask -- @turayza, do you and your boyfriend have any interviews in common or in the same general area?