Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I literally have no words to describe my day. Mayo is beyond incredible. It absolutely, without a doubt, one hundred percent blew me away. I don't know how my interviews went... I honestly feel like I am vastly inferior to the splendour of Mayo, and expect a rejection come February. But if, by some stroke of insane luck, I got in? My cycle would instantly be over. No questions asked.

Sweet! I can just feel the supreme "post-interview high" you are on right now! ;) And my friend, I am positive you will meet an acceptance if you oozed 10% of the enthuasiam in this post during your interview day :D

I personally had such a grand time here at Iowa. Even though I came back to lab and all my cells are dead (I found out yesterday and had to confirm today) I am too "high" to care LOL
Just blown away by what they have to offer here and in love all over again :love: @Overanxious @sunflower18 you are in for a FANTASTIC time here! Warning, lunch is kinda sparse though :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yay~~~ UW II!!!!! What a weight off my shoulders ....

Congrats joonage! Hopefully more schools send you IIs! :)

I literally have no words to describe my day. Mayo is beyond incredible. It absolutely, without a doubt, one hundred percent blew me away. I don't know how my interviews went... I honestly feel like I am vastly inferior to the splendour of Mayo, and expect a rejection come February. But if, by some stroke of insane luck, I got in? My cycle would instantly be over. No questions asked.

I'm assuming the peds floor was the cherry-on-top? ;) Glad to hear you liked Mayo and hopefully you get some good news on October 15th! How were your interviews?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Hella! I live near the UCF Undergrad Campus, if you're looking for a travel companion/someone to grab dinner with! I can't afford Harry Potter, but I know the area. I'm interviewing there soon too, and I really would love to stay here!

Oh, that is so sweet! :love: Really excited for this school. The last time I was in FL I got to see one of the last shuttle launches (super cool), but didn't really to see much outside of Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach.

I'll let you know when I'm in O-Town! Best wishes for your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats joonage! Hopefully more schools send you IIs! :)

I'm assuming the peds floor was the cherry-on-top? ;) Glad to hear you liked Mayo and hopefully you get some good news on October 15th! How were your interviews?

I missed @joonage's good news!!!! Congrats!!!

Yes omg the peds floor. They LIVESTREAM THE ZOO!!!! It was amazing. Everything was. Ahhhhh so so good. Thanks for the support!! I think they were ok but could have gone better. Quite a few behavioural questions that I tried to answer generally, but she really wanted specifics. After she clarified, I provided them, but I think I was too vague most of the time on accident :( other than that they were good! It's so hard to tell. I desperately want good news so that might be causing me to be hypercritical. Who knows.

Reactions: 3 users
Sweet! I can just feel the supreme "post-interview high" you are on right now! ;) And my friend, I am positive you will meet an acceptance if you oozed 10% of the enthuasiam in this post during your interview day :D

I personally had such a grand time here at Iowa. Even though I came back to lab and all my cells are dead (I found out yesterday and had to confirm today) I am too "high" to care LOL
Just blown away by what they have to offer here and in love all over again :love: @Overanxious @sunflower18 you are in for a FANTASTIC time here! Warning, lunch is kinda sparse though :(
You forgot to mention that Iowa has one of the best orthopedic surgery programs in the country!

Reactions: 1 users

Yes ahhhh I'm in total shock and awe!!! I was very enthusiastic, perhaps a bit too much.... But haha maybe they're into that sort of thing! One can only hope.

I'm so glad you loved Iowa! I can't wait to visit!!!!

Oh, that is so sweet! :love: Really excited for this school. The last time I was in FL I got to see one of the last shuttle launches (super cool), but didn't really to see much outside of Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach.

I'll let you know when I'm in O-Town! Best wishes for your interview!
I interviewed with UCF last Spring too! The school is incredible. The area is amazing. Lunch is good and the day is fun so you'll have a good time! If they haven't changed it you even get to play with the surgery training robots. You'll be great! :)

Also… I love the beach, but you've got to see New Smyrna if you're going to judge us for our beaches! And really you need to explore Orlando too.

Ooof. Too bad about the Pitt rejections, though I'm glad they don't do the infamous silent reject. :(

I missed @joonage's good news!!!! Congrats!!!

Yes omg the peds floor. They LIVESTREAM THE ZOO!!!! It was amazing. Everything was. Ahhhhh so so good. Thanks for the support!! I think they were ok but could have gone better. Quite a few behavioural questions that I tried to answer generally, but she really wanted specifics. After she clarified, I provided them, but I think I was too vague most of the time on accident :( other than that they were good! It's so hard to tell. I desperately want good news so that might be causing me to be hypercritical. Who knows.

Mayo is non-rolling, right? (I think you mentioned January somewhere in there...). Anyways, I think this whole thread has their fingers crossed for you!

Breaking news: @turayza and I are going to be getting deep-dish pizza in the near future... is it not too late for you folks to neglect your already packed schedules and take an impromptu trip to Chicago?

PS: @No Limits where you at, dude? Didn't you have your first interviews? (Please tell all).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooof. Too bad about the Pitt rejections, though I'm glad they don't do the infamous silent reject. :(

Mayo is non-rolling, right? (I think you mentioned January somewhere in there...). Anyways, I think this whole thread has their fingers crossed for you!

Breaking news: @turayza and I are going to be getting deep-dish pizza in the near future... is it not too late for you folks to neglect your already packed schedules and take an impromptu trip to Chicago?

PS: @No Limits where you at, dude? Didn't you have your first interviews? (Please tell all).

Nope, Mayo is rolling! So I could potentially hear in October. I just highly doubt that I will. Thanks for crossing your fingers for me!!!

Ahhh I wish I could join y'all in Chicago! Wanna come to Rhode Island instead? ;) have fun!!!

Not sure where @No Limits is.... :(

annnd 6th rejection. From Pitt too :(

feels more and more like i'll need to reapply next year now..

I'm sorry to hear about the Pitt rejections, y'all. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

As for potential reapplication, I won't start mentally and emotionally preparing for that until I hear back from the schools I interviewed at.

So how are you guys handling the post-interview feelings? I have completed 1 DO (accepted) and 3 MD interviews so far.. I leave the room with a positive vibe, but then a couple of days later.. I think about all the things I could have said/rephrased/perhaps not said. Anyone else experiencing these emotions? Man.. I can't wait until Oct 15th! It is sooooo far away!!

So how are you guys handling the post-interview feelings? I have completed 1 DO (accepted) and 3 MD interviews so far.. I leave the room with a positive vibe, but then a couple of days later.. I think about all the things I could have said/rephrased/perhaps not said. Anyone else experiencing these emotions? Man.. I can't wait until Oct 15th! It is sooooo far away!!
I sometimes have doubts too. I thought I did well at UNC (and ECU and WVU), but there's really no way to know for sure until you get their committee decision. At least UNC allows 3 reapplication cycles!

So excited about all my Texas interviews, but kind of sad I haven't heard from a lot of OOS schools. Anyone else getting a lot of IS love, very little OOS?

I sometimes have doubts too. I thought I did well at UNC (and ECU and WVU), but there's really no way to know for sure until you get their committee decision. At least UNC allows 3 reapplication cycles!
I knowwww!!Fingers crossed for the both of us :) Praying!!

I have similar feelings, usually around one question I think I could have answered better in the interview. It's always one question where I feel my answer wasn't adequate. But I figure there's nothing to change so nothing to stress about. And besides... we premeds are always our own worst critics.

Reactions: 2 users
I have similar feelings, usually around one question I think I could have answered better in the interview. It's always one question where I feel my answer wasn't adequate. But I figure there's nothing to change so nothing to stress about. And besides... we premeds are always our own worst critics.
YES!!! This is so trueeee!
I am sure they understand we are nervous. But still.. I wonder how they decide between many different interviewees :(

It is so competitive!! Hard to make friends in this process lol

Hope your Penn State interviews went well!

I definitely feel super insecure about my answers post-interview.... I stress about it for a bit and then force myself to move on, because there is nothing I can do about it now.

I'm absolutely terrified that 6 or 7 rejections are going to rain down on me on October 15th with no acceptances..... I have no idea if I'm a good interviewee or not. Ugh so worried. I'm glad I'm not the only I've who frets like this.

Sorry to hear about recent rejections :(

Sorry bud, no additional cycles for you. It'll happen the first time around ;)

Think of it this way: you're going to be a doctor no matter what now. Anything better from here on out is icing on the cake. No sweat!

I definitely feel super insecure about my answers post-interview.... I stress about it for a bit and then force myself to move on, because there is nothing I can do about it now.

I'm absolutely terrified that 6 or 7 rejections are going to rain down on me on October 15th with no acceptances..... I have no idea if I'm a good interviewee or not. Ugh so worried. I'm glad I'm not the only I've who frets like this.

No you are not alone!! I have been bugging my SO and mother with some of my answers to questions, and asking them if I shot myself in the foot?!! lol! Both of them have said "if it is meant to be, it will happen." Hope to get at least one acceptance, I won't even be choosy LOL!!! Idk how my interviewing skills are either. This process just seems very subjective :/.Praying for lots of + news for all of us Oct 15th!!

Reactions: 2 users
Think of it this way: you're going to be a doctor no matter what now. Anything better from here on out is icing on the cake. No sweat!
No doubt! But it sure would be great to stay close to home and attend a school of your choice :)

Ok you WILL NOT have 6 or 7 rejections on October 15th... unless your online personality is a 180* flip from real life, they will definitely like you and think you're a considerate, sociable and normal human being (lol). Also very bubbly and optimistic! Who wouldn't want you in their class??

YES!!! This is so trueeee!
I am sure they understand we are nervous. But still.. I wonder how they decide between many different interviewees :(

It is so competitive!! Hard to make friends in this process lol

We'll be your friends :happy:

annnd 6th rejection. From Pitt too :(

feels more and more like i'll need to reapply next year now..

Heyy don't worry about it! It's only September, and you scored an II from UCSD--they see something outstanding in you. Also since you applied to like 500 schools your percentage rejected is still very low :laugh:

I'll forgive this moment of insanity if you promise to return to your normal sunflower self.
amazing-sunflowers-wallpaper-1280x800-1001066WALLPAPERSTOP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

OMG sunflower18 don't think that! I am so confident you are going to meet very good news! As @turayza eloquently pointed out, if you are even 10% as lively and genuine as you are over here you will still do so great. I especially think we women are our own worst critics, but you got to make the choice to stop thinking that way here and NOW :happy:

Way to miss the point.
I do get your point and I am grateful for my acceptance. But, I have fought really hard ( reapplicant with 0 II last cycle) to get where I am today, so I deserve to be happy and get into a school of my choice is what I am saying.

Ok you WILL NOT have 6 or 7 rejections on October 15th... unless your online personality is a 180* flip from real life, they will definitely like you and think you're a considerate, sociable and normal human being (lol). Also very bubbly and optimistic! Who wouldn't want you in their class??
We'll be your friends :happy:
Aww haha thanks :) My premed friends (applying this cycle) are under way too much pressure (so am I lol) and have stopped talking to me :(. The people I hang out with are all Arts majors!! So chill :D

Ditto.

I also seem to have problems anticipating questions in those half conversational/half scripted interviews. If it's 100% conversational I feel okay, and if they're essentially running through a pre-determined list of questions, I can get in the zone fairly quickly. But these "mixed" interviews.... :dead:

Interviewer & Nutella: babble for 10 minutes or so about EMRs and technology in medicine, commiserating about our Epic woes
Interviewer: "Yes, I agree. Epic is really is disappointing in that aspect, and so what would you like to change about the healthcare system?"
Nutella: *assumes we're still talking about EMRs, due to the lack of a pause* "Well, for starters I'd streamline the EMR system and possibly implement a universal recording sys–"
Interviewer: "What? I wouldn't have said that. What about the millions of uninsured individuals or the rising cost of healthcare?"
Nutella: *tries to respond but interviewer keeps on talking*
Interviewer: "Well, I guess it's on to the next question. Imagine you have a patient that..."

@____@

Reactions: 5 users
I do get your point and I am grateful for my acceptance. But, I have fought really hard ( reapplicant with 0 II last cycle) to get where I am today, so I deserve to be happy and get into a school of my choice is what I am saying.

No. You're definitely still missing the point. You just sound entitled now. That's all I have to say about that.

No. You're definitely still missing the point. You just sound entitled now. That's all I have to say about that.
Entitled? Please. I don't think it is your place to tell me what should/should not make me happy.

Woah, slow your roll, homie. There's still plenty of time. Have some faith!

nuuuhh i live my life in the fast lane, fast and furious style >:D

Heyy don't worry about it! It's only September, and you scored an II from UCSD--they see something outstanding in you. Also since you applied to like 500 schools your percentage rejected is still very low :laugh:
maybe it's a pity invite for students that went there for undergrad xD

ahaha anyays thanks guys, I'm just trying to not get too hopeful cause otherwise that fall is gonna be higher than the dude who jumped from outerspace.... except I wont have a parachute

Entitled? Please. I don't think it is your place to tell me what should/should not make me happy.

I said nothing of the sort. I just said that your statement makes you sound entitled and I hold to that. Don't stop here though! Feel free to tell your interviewers what you deserve. I'm sure they'd love to hear it!

I apologize for trying to make you look on the bright side earlier. I'd rescind my words if I could.

Anyway, thanks for playing. Cheers!

Hey guys, it's no secret that deep down, we all want to get into the best school (whatever that means to us) that we applied to. There's nothing wrong or shameful in aiming high. That said, congratulations on your acceptance @pink/\floyd !! I'm sure good news will keep rolling in.

I said nothing of the sort. I just said that your statement makes you sound entitled and I hold to that. Don't stop here though! Feel free to tell your interviewers what you deserve. I'm sure they'd love to hear it!

I apologize for trying to make you look on the bright side earlier. I'd rescind my words if I could.

Anyway, thanks for playing. Cheers!
Really? I mean did I say something so bad? Chill out man! You don't have to judge people and label them a certain way simply because they have different expectations than you. I think it would be best if we just don't interact.

Last edited:
Just got home from my SLU interview! The campus was so pretty and everything seemed close by and very convenient. @sunflower18 we chose to tour the children's hospital, and I thought of you as we were walking through the cheerful hallways! They had drawings and very colorful walls all the way through the hospital, and the lobby had a huge yellow submarine that the kids could walk through. They even had a playground within this large atrium area! So cool. I enjoyed visiting this school so much and had a great impression at the end of the day. Plus, I love STL so it would be fantastic to get in!

photo (20).JPG

I got to STL the day before to meet up with a friend, and we got floats from Fitz's, which makes their own root beer and other sodas! I got a coffee cola with chocolate ice cream and my friend got root beer with nutella (@hellanutella need I guess which you'd have chosen? ;)) and vanilla ice cream. There were SO many options!! I need to come back and try more.

photo (17).JPG

We had some very tasty Syrian food and ended the night at a chocolate bar. Guys, I was in heaven. They have a huge menu, full of various chocolate martinis, beer floats, and decadent desserts. Below is a warm chocolate martini, pumpkin ale float, and a chocolate stout and ganache cake topped with cinnamon ice cream.

photo (18).JPG

There's a donut place that was recommended to me by a friend that opens at 11pm and works all night, making fresh donuts. So, naturally that's what I did the night before my interview! The place is decorated with Superman memorabilia and the staff is simultaneously hilarious and very gruff. It was a good experience... and the donuts were warm, extremely fresh, and melted in my mouth. Didn't get a very good picture, but here they are (don't worry I had help eating all those... not to say that I couldn't demolish all of them by myself :eek:)

photo (21).JPG

Reactions: 11 users
Ditto.

I also seem to have problems anticipating questions in those half conversational/half scripted interviews. If it's 100% conversational I feel okay, and if they're essentially running through a pre-determined list of questions, I can get in the zone fairly quickly. But these "mixed" interviews.... :dead:

Interviewer & Nutella: babble for 10 minutes or so about EMRs and technology in medicine, commiserating about our Epic woes
Interviewer: "Yes, I agree. Epic is really is disappointing in that aspect, and so what would you like to change about the healthcare system?"
Nutella: *assumes we're still talking about EMRs, due to the lack of a pause* "Well, for starters I'd streamline the EMR system and possibly implement a universal recording sys–"
Interviewer: "What? I wouldn't have said that. What about the millions of uninsured individuals or the rising cost of healthcare?"
Nutella: *tries to respond but interviewer keeps on talking*
Interviewer: "Well, I guess it's on to the next question. Imagine you have a patient that..."

@____@
Hate those inexperience interviewers who feel the best way to evaluate someone is by drilling questions. Uh, no. It's so painfully obvious who knows what they're doing and are looking for the intangibles with some well-chosen questions vs. the question throwing machines who will present at the committee and just be like "ok so this guy really knows EMRs." :uhno:

Just got home from my SLU interview! The campus was so pretty and everything seemed close by and very convenient. @sunflower18 we chose to tour the children's hospital, and I thought of you as we were walking through the cheerful hallways! They had drawings and very colorful walls all the way through the hospital, and the lobby had a huge yellow submarine that the kids could walk through. They even had a playground within this large atrium area! So cool. I enjoyed visiting this school so much and had a great impression at the end of the day. Plus, I love STL so it would be fantastic to get in!

View attachment 185716

I got to STL the day before to meet up with a friend, and we got floats from Fitz's, which makes their own root beer and other sodas! I got a coffee cola with chocolate ice cream and my friend got root beer with nutella (@hellanutella need I guess which you'd have chosen? ;)) and vanilla ice cream. There were SO many options!! I need to come back and try more.

View attachment 185717

We had some very tasty Syrian food and ended the night at a chocolate bar. Guys, I was in heaven. They have a huge menu, full of various chocolate martinis, beer floats, and decadent desserts. Below is a warm chocolate martini, pumpkin ale float, and a chocolate stout and ganache cake topped with cinnamon ice cream.

View attachment 185718

There's a donut place that was recommended to me by a friend that opens at 11pm and works all night, making fresh donuts. So, naturally that's what I did the night before my interview! The place is decorated with Superman memorabilia and the staff is simultaneously hilarious and very gruff. It was a good experience... and the donuts were warm, extremely fresh, and melted in my mouth. Didn't get a very good picture, but here they are (don't worry I had help eating all those... not to say that I couldn't demolish all of them by myself :eek:)

View attachment 185719

I love your enthusiasm for SLU and the city! So many cool things to eat there :cool:

Mmmmm chocolate ganache and cinnamon ice cream? I didn't even know that existed!!! I love cinnamon and of course who doesn't like chocolate? Heaven.

Hope you get accepted!! :luck:

I love your enthusiasm for SLU and the city! So many cool things to eat there :cool:

Mmmmm chocolate ganache and cinnamon ice cream? I didn't even know that existed!!! I love cinnamon and of course who doesn't like chocolate? Heaven.

Hope you get accepted!! :luck:

Thank you, I hope so, too!! Oh gosh, this place even had Bailey's ice cream. :happy: Maybe that's what I'll get next time I'm in STL.

I was just looking at your mdapps, and somehow I missed that you got an II from UK! Congrats -- I was there earlier this month and had a great experience, and even got to see the anatomy lab with students dissecting and examining their cadavers. Too bad we didn't have the same date, though -- would have been cool to meet you (and maybe go on a dessert scavenger hunt in Lexington ;)). Good luck with all of your upcoming interviews!

View attachment 185716

View attachment 185717

View attachment 185718

View attachment 185719
I'm glad you got a "taste" of St. Louis and enjoyed your time here! I love Fitz's as well! And did you go to Strange Donuts? Because I know they open really late at night.

View attachment 185716

View attachment 185717

View attachment 185718

View attachment 185719

:wow: Those photos made me scream a little. I think I'm going to need to interview in St. L just for the food...

Glad you had an awesome time at SLU! Keep the interview photos coming!

Seriously. If SLU had sent those pictures in a brochure, I would have applied!

This thread is making me want to apply to more and more places, but I'm pretty capped hahaha. I almost applied to a third of all US MD programs. That's insane enough as it is.