Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is the main reason why I ended up not applying there. Oh and because their supplemental essay looked like pure torture.
It was.. Mine pretty much said, "I'm going to be broke forever! But I still love vetmed! Yay!!". It was definitely depressing lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally got verified!!
Took from September 15 at 2 to today at 3:45ish!

But that of course is just the primer ;)

So close!!! All of my programs have e-mailed saying they have my supplemental and are just waiting for VMCAS. :dead:

Cell Bio is part of my degree plan, so I will have it anyways. But if I wasn't a zoology/biology major, I probably wouldn't have applied this cycle because I would have had to take it before!

My undergrad is actually getting rid of our cell bio because too many people fail it..... Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

So close!!! All of my programs have e-mailed saying they have my supplemental and are just waiting for VMCAS. :dead:

My undergrad is actually getting rid of our cell bio because too many people fail it..... Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's the hardest biology class at my university.. It's horrible! I'm taking it next semester.. I'm scared!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking it right now as a Sophomore at Purdue. Not too bad yet. The exams are all free response and the TA's grade kinda hard... losing a point for not putting the answer in decimal form. The math is kinda hard with units and no calculator.. the average for the class is a low B I think, so not too bad. About 400-450 students enrolled. The Professor is very energetic, great to listen to and was pretty fair on the first exam.

It's the hardest biology class at my university.. It's horrible! I'm taking it next semester.. I'm scared!

When I took it, it was bio 132. Then they changed it to bio 232 because it was way too difficult for freshmen. Now they're getting rid of it entirely and I'm like, "So where are students going to get cell bio for professional school prerequisites?"

Cell Bio was tough, but my professor was awesome - gave us a list of things we should do to learn the material effectively, always held review sessions, and the tests were open book because he wanted us to really understand the concepts and not just memorize stuff that we would be able to look up in the real world anyway. It was the first time cell signaling didn't absolutely murder me!

It's a junior level class at my school, but usually only seniors take it!

I'm taking it right now as a Sophomore at Purdue. Not too bad yet. The exams are all free response and the TA's grade kinda hard... losing a point for not putting the answer in decimal form. The math is kinda hard with units and no calculator.. the average for the class is a low B I think, so not too bad. About 400-450 students enrolled. The Professor is very energetic, great to listen to and was pretty fair on the first exam.

I don't remember us doing any math in Cell..... But the tests were pretty killer to say the least. We don't have any TAs at our school and only occasionally have GAs, so we were always graded by the professor. We only have 45 students to start (tiny college of only 2000-2500 students, including all online) and we usually end with 30. Class average is consistently 65%, give or take. I scrapped a B, but I devoted a lot of time to it. Only one person got an A when I took it and only about 10 or 12 of us actually passed. Since they're getting rid of it, our Zoology I and Botany I are way harder than they used to be.

Cell Bio was tough, but my professor was awesome - gave us a list of things we should do to learn the material effectively, always held review sessions, and the tests were open book because he wanted us to really understand the concepts and not just memorize stuff that we would be able to look up in the real world anyway. It was the first time cell signaling didn't absolutely murder me!

I am so jealous! Never had a review session and open book/note tests aren't a thing here. We had an SI person, but that didn't really help too much.

@batsenecal wow! That is killer. The math we do is delta G... now we just started doing delta p.. nernst equation.. etc. It's more like chemistry to me in that aspect but oh well.

I think we only did delta G stuff in Chem here. Yeah, this school is kind of overly crazy on the bio side. I understand wanting to prepare students. But when the majority of students can't pass the freshman level courses, there's a problem.

VMCAS verified for me today at 6:05 pm. Turned in 9/15 at 5:45ish pm and they logged my last transcript on 9/17. So it seems they're getting towards the end.

Reactions: 1 users
I talked to Tony Wynne at a conference last weekend. He said there was like 4000 applications submitted in the last 2 days of the app being open. So they definitely had their work cut out for them.

I think he mentioned that only about 2500 applications had been submitted to that point, and everyone at VMCAS was wondering where all the applicants went to.

I talked to Tony Wynne at a conference last weekend. He said there was like 4000 applications submitted in the last 2 days of the app being open. So they definitely had their work cut out for them.

I think he mentioned that only about 2500 applications had been submitted to that point, and everyone at VMCAS was wondering where all the applicants went to.
I thought this kind of thing happened pretty much every year...? It shouldn't be that surprising for VMCAS at this point, right?

For what it's worth, I submitted way back in the middle of August, and I was verified within 48 hours. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
If they could unscrew their mail room and stop losing transcripts, then some of us would have been submitted and ready for verification weeks earlier.... Just sayin... :whistle:

Reactions: 3 users

Yeah, I think the same thing happened last year.... and the year before.... What's ironic is that 2500 applicants wouldn't even fill all the seats available, thinking about it (not that schools are obligated to accept someone they don't want to). Then BAM! LET'S INCREASE THE APPLICANT POOL!!!!!

If they could unscrew their mail room and stop losing transcripts, then some of us would have been submitted and ready for verification weeks earlier.... Just sayin... :whistle:

I would have submitted ten days earlier, at least, if my transcripts hadn't been "lost".

Mine was verified yesterday morning, turned my app in Sept 15 11:38pm :3 just in time to submit the secondary for davis! now to wait....

Verified at 10:42am. Submitted on the 14th, but transcripts not "found" by VMCAS until the 17th.

Anyway back to the main topic! I'm applying to five schools: WSU, Oregon State, CSU, Illinois, and Cornell. I believe I am perfectly qualified to attend any one of them...and if they all reject me, I will do my best to convince them of such things next year, haha. I just recently scaled back the overthinking about personal statement, supplemental essays, etc. And I am just now working towards taking it easy on determining when I will hear back, it's a lot of stress and energy spent on something that will happen eventually and regardless. Plus...veterinary medicine is happening for me, I don't need a college reviewer to confirm or deny that for me...at this point it's just a matter of which year it will be happening. Sooner would be better though, no lie.....

Anyway back to the main topic! I'm applying to five schools: WSU, Oregon State, CSU, Illinois, and Cornell. I believe I am perfectly qualified to attend any one of them...and if they all reject me, I will do my best to convince them of such things next year, haha. I just recently scaled back the overthinking about personal statement, supplemental essays, etc. And I am just now working towards taking it easy on determining when I will hear back, it's a lot of stress and energy spent on something that will happen eventually and regardless. Plus...veterinary medicine is happening for me, I don't need a college reviewer to confirm or deny that for me...at this point it's just a matter of which year it will be happening. Sooner would be better though, no lie.....

Completely agree with you. Becoming a vet is definitely in the cards for me. Cannot picture myself doing anything else but that. Animals, animals, animalssssss :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Finally verified. They weren't kidding when they said it would take up to 4 weeks. Oh well, at least it's done and out of VMCAS's hands.

LSU email: CHECK YOUR PORTAL EVERY DAY!!
Me: uh-oh, I better go do that 'cause it's been a while since I last checked! What if I miss something important like they say?
Portal: Your coursework has not yet been reviewed.

:meh:

Reactions: 5 users
Right?! I appreciate LSU being very communicative, but I've had two to three times more e-mails from them than all the other schools combined!

FINALLY verified on Friday. That fiasco with them "losing" my transcripts and then "finding" them, but then not listing them as found until October 22nd, pushed my verification to practically the back of the line. Ugh. At least it's done... and now, more waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
Just now verified... Submitted on 9/10, so it officially took them 5 1/2 weeks. Hooray for Professional Transcript Entry! F***ing unreal man.

Just now verified... Submitted on 9/10, so it officially took them 5 1/2 weeks. Hooray for Professional Transcript Entry! F***ing unreal man.

Oooooh, potty mouth. Watch it, we don't tolerate that ******* **** around here :D

Reactions: 4 users
AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

JUST REJECT ME ALREADY SO I WILL KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT MY FUTURE!!!!!

This is what I wish I could yell at all the schools I applied to.

FINALLY got verified yesterday!!! Thank to PTE got pushed to the back because they did nothing for a week when I sent them corrections! :meh:
Where can I see what my calculated GPA is? I looked and couldn't find anything :confused:

FINALLY got verified yesterday!!! Thank to PTE got pushed to the back because they did nothing for a week when I sent them corrections! :meh:
Where can I see what my calculated GPA is? I looked and couldn't find anything :confused:

You can go to the VMCAS page where your program listings are. Download one of those applications, I think it opens a PDF, scroll down until you find your GPA.

Has anyone else applied to Atlantic Veterinary College in PEI?

Is there a Class of 2020 page for Purdue? I tried searching for it, but didn't see one, just wanted to check before making one!

Does anyone know approximately what % of applicants to a school receive an interview?

Depends on the school. Most of the schools I'm familiar with will do around 2-5 interviews per seat (less for in state seats, more for out of state seats).

I would say it really varies by school. I know Davis interviews about 240 people for 140 seats, so that may have better odds than other schools. It's just getting an interview offer that's tough

Does anyone know approximately what % of applicants to a school receive an interview?

When I interviewed an Midwestern in August they said, 900 applicants, 300 interviews, 100 accepted. But I assume that % would be lower at other schools.

i interviewed at Midwestern as well last cycle. I LOVED the school. Would have gone there in a heartbeat if they would have accepted me :(

While I've been patiently waiting to hear about interviews, everyone else asking me when I'll hear back from schools is getting slightly annoying. I tell them that I won't hear for at least another month, but I'm getting slightly antsy just so they can stop asking about it!

Reactions: 4 users
While I've been patiently waiting to hear about interviews, everyone else asking me when I'll hear back from schools is getting slightly annoying. I tell them that I won't hear for at least another month, but I'm getting slightly antsy just so they can stop asking about it!

I tell them not until January. But the same people keep asking the same question! Nothing seems to sink in. I wish no one knew, but that's basically impossible since every step I've taken has gotten me closer and eventually through the application process, and to know me at all is to know that I plan to be a veterinarian, etc.

I feel you. On Halloween my aunt asked me how long I have left..... I was like, I haven't even gotten into a school yet.

People are funny. There's this lady who volunteers w/ my mom at church. I saw her yesterday and she was asking me about next year, what am I doing, etc. I said that I applied for vet school but I won't know until December whether I have an interview or not. She then says, "How exciting! What will you study in med school?"

People are funny. There's this lady who volunteers w/ my mom at church. I saw her yesterday and she was asking me about next year, what am I doing, etc. I said that I applied for vet school but I won't know until December whether I have an interview or not. She then says, "How exciting! What will you study in med school?"

hahaa! That it pretty hilarious!!

I feel you. On Halloween my aunt asked me how long I have left..... I was like, I haven't even gotten into a school yet.

Same here. My aunt kept asking me when can I treat her dog. I was like what???