Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think this is also true for spring grades if you've been accepted somewhere? I'm sort of trying to figure out if I can relax a little next semester especially since I'm not taking any prerequisites just stuff to graduate but don't know if vet schools rescind offers if your grades drop etc. I also wanted to volunteer less to open up my schedule (maybe work more and save money or just take it easy I don't know)
I know some places specifically say that your acceptance is dependant upon your spring grades staying above a certain GPA. But that likely varies by school.

Members don't see this ad.

I know some places specifically say that your acceptance is dependant upon your spring grades staying above a certain GPA. But that likely varies by school.

Ooh ok thanks I'll keep this in mind. If they mean overall GPA I think I'll be ok but for that one semester it would take more effort haha and I'm hoping schools say that in their letters because I feel like that's something I can't really directly ask them :censored:

Do you think this is also true for spring grades if you've been accepted somewhere? I'm sort of trying to figure out if I can relax a little next semester especially since I'm not taking any prerequisites just stuff to graduate but don't know if vet schools rescind offers if your grades drop etc. I also wanted to volunteer less to open up my schedule (maybe work more and save money or just take it easy I don't know)
Usually you just have to get a c or better in pre-requisites

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have any pre-reqs left can you take some lighter electives? That's what I'm planning do to to boost my GPA cause I'd like to graduate with honours.

If you don't have any pre-reqs left can you take some lighter electives? That's what I'm planning do to to boost my GPA cause I'd like to graduate with honours.
Not really I have exactly 4 classes left to graduate two upper division biology classes two honors classes so I can't make it a really light schedule unfortunately haha that's why I wanted to know if I could at least not work as hard for those grades :hilarious:

Not really I have exactly 4 classes left to graduate two upper division biology classes two honors classes so I can't make it a really light schedule unfortunately haha that's why I wanted to know if I could at least not work as hard for those grades :hilarious:

Honestly, that's all I would take. If that puts you at 12 hours, roll with that. If you can keep a 3.3 or higher, I would just cause.

Honestly, that's all I would take. If that puts you at 12 hours, roll with that. If you can keep a 3.3 or higher, I would just cause.
Yea it puts me at 12 which is my lowest amount ever that's why I was paranoid about my grades possibly dropping if I'm trying to relax haha but you're right I think I can at least keep a 3.3 for that semester

I already posted in the K-State thread, but I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!! It hasn't totally sunk in yet, I keep re-reading the acceptance email to make sure it's real. I have an interview with SGU next week and I'm still waiting to hear from Illinois, but I'm definitely going to vet school!!!!! It's been a long road and it's such a huge relief! Also I was weirdly excited to change the thing under my name on here from "c/o 2020 hopeful" to "c/o 2020." :p And to think, I totally dismissed K-State as an option the past two years due to location, and almost gave up on applying anywhere this year after the snafu with my recommendation letter.

Reactions: 18 users
I already posted in the K-State thread, but I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!! It hasn't totally sunk in yet, I keep re-reading the acceptance email to make sure it's real. I have an interview with SGU next week and I'm still waiting to hear from Illinois, but I'm definitely going to vet school!!!!! It's been a long road and it's such a huge relief! Also I was weirdly excited to change the thing under my name on here from "c/o 2020 hopeful" to "c/o 2020." :p And to think, I totally dismissed K-State as an option the past two years due to location, and almost gave up on applying anywhere this year after the snafu with my recommendation letter.

Congrats on your k state acceptance! I felt so bad for you when all the LOR stuff went down (and still find it so annoying your IS was the only school who wasn't willing to work with you about it), but I'm so glad everything worked out for you in the end! :D

Congrats on your k state acceptance! I felt so bad for you when all the LOR stuff went down (and still find it so annoying your IS was the only school who wasn't willing to work with you about it), but I'm so glad everything worked out for you in the end! :D
Thank you! I'm still rather bummed to miss out on IS tuition, but it's water under the bridge. :)

Anybody else who only applied to one school still around here? I thought I remembered at least one person being in that boat with me.

Me! Pretty sure there are a few others as well.

I don't interview till Feb, and received my invite in November, so I just want to get it over with at this point :p

Have you interviewed yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me! Pretty sure there are a few others as well.

I don't interview till Feb, and received my invite in November, so I just want to get it over with at this point :p

Have you interviewed yet?

I knew there was someone! Just couldn't remeber who ;)

I interview in a week. Then I should apparently hear either way by the end of January.

I knew there was someone! Just couldn't remeber who ;)

I interview in a week. Then I should apparently hear either way by the end of January.

I hope it's good news! :) and good luck at your interview!

The good news is my IS gives decisions about a week after interviews conclude, so once I actually do interview I should know pretty soon.

Still haven't been shopping for interview clothes yet.... Whoops :p

I don't have interview clothes yet either! I have a black jacket in my closet I'm pretty sure I'll end up wearing but still need to at least buy pants, shirt, and probably shoes too! I'll be going in a few days but definitely pushing this shopping thing to the last minute. :p

Anybody else who only applied to one school still around here? I thought I remembered at least one person being in that boat with me.

I only applied to one school too! I already interviewed though, so now I am worrying... It is completely out of my hands. The few invites they sent out were to some IS and some OS. So as you said we shall see (hopefully) at the end of January. I wish you all the best at your interview!

I only applied to one school too! I already interviewed though, so now I am worrying... It is completely out of my hands. The few invites they sent out were to some IS and some OS. So as you said we shall see (hopefully) at the end of January. I wish you all the best at your interview!

Aren't you a Michigan applicant too? I didn't realize there were any other "one school applicants" on that thread.

Hopefully January brings good news for both of us. :)

I only applied to my contract school. :hello:

My interview is still a month away. Slowly approaching . . .

I only applied to my IS, and was accepted! Woohoo!

Are admitted students days typically strictly just for the students, no parents or significant others? I know, for many of my interviews, parents or even a friend were welcomed. I've never done an admitted students day so I don't know what to expect. The school is a bit of a drive so Ill probably bring at least one person with me. There was no mention of guest or no guest in the letter. Thanks.

Are admitted students days typically strictly just for the students, no parents or significant others? I know, for many of my interviews, parents or even a friend were welcomed. I've never done an admitted students day so I don't know what to expect. The school is a bit of a drive so Ill probably bring at least one person with me. There was no mention of guest or no guest in the letter. Thanks.
Just call and ask them

I also only applied to one school. I'm feeling foolish, but I am a non-traditional student and did the finance calculations. It was in-state or wait a year and try again for me. The wait is killing me. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 3 users
I also only applied to one school. I'm feeling foolish, but I am a non-traditional student and did the finance calculations. It was in-state or wait a year and try again for me. The wait is killing me. Best of luck to you!

Don't feel foolish! I only applied to my IS because of financial worries as well. If I end up having to apply next cycle again I'll probably apply OOS as well, but it would only be to schools with "cheaper" OOS tuition or schools I could get IS tuition after one year at.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
That's not foolish. That's smart.

Unless you're independently wealthy, you have fewer years to pay back your debt. The less you have the better! And if it comes down to difference between cheap IS tuition and OOS tuition, that's huge.

Hi everyone! I am new to this, so please bear with me. Since you guys have just gone through the process, and are still currently dealing with this stuff, I was wondering if you could offer me some advice. I am thinking of applying to vet school this upcoming summer ('16) and I am curious about my chances. Right now, I am afraid I am just a little too "average" and I know that I am definitely lacking diversity within my experiences. I just kind of wanted to know what you guys think! I am a florida resident, so I'm keeping my eye on UF. i was always planning on taking a gap year, (i am a junior currently), but for some reason this semester, I realized that I didn't want to take a gap year and i feel like i am scrambling and behind where i should be in order to be a competitive applicant. any input from anyone is greatly valued and appreciated!! :)

Overall GPA: 3.8
Science: 3.8
Last 45: 3.82
GRE: taking it sometime this spring!

Vet:
250 hours volunteering at the UF small animal hospital in various departments (ICU, PCW, Radiology)
150 shadowing the vet from my hometown
100 SAH i just got a job at (I am a technician)
*I am hoping to get my veterinary hours to about 1,000 by the time i actually have to apply

Animal:
350 hours at a dog grooming place as a bather
250 hours at a vet's office (i worked in the kennel)
8 hours grooming retired horses

Non-animal employment:
I worked for 5 years as a gymnastics coach

Research:
80 hours working with rodents studying activity based anorexia (i attended lab meetings, assisted with general maintenance, observed and noted their food intake post injections and performed an ovariectomy on a rat)
*it wasn't that in-depth, but it was good insight into research based positions, and i learned it wasn't my thing really

Extracirriculars:
Flute choir for 2 years
orchestra for a semester
Alpha Zeta Honors Fraternity
*i found it really hard to become involved in things in college, i found myself becoming really shy and wanting to avoid activities with a lot of people as bad as that sounds

Hi everyone! I am new to this, so please bear with me. Since you guys have just gone through the process, and are still currently dealing with this stuff, I was wondering if you could offer me some advice. I am thinking of applying to vet school this upcoming summer ('16) and I am curious about my chances. Right now, I am afraid I am just a little too "average" and I know that I am definitely lacking diversity within my experiences. I just kind of wanted to know what you guys think! I am a florida resident, so I'm keeping my eye on UF. i was always planning on taking a gap year, (i am a junior currently), but for some reason this semester, I realized that I didn't want to take a gap year and i feel like i am scrambling and behind where i should be in order to be a competitive applicant. any input from anyone is greatly valued and appreciated!! :)

Vet:
250 hours volunteering at the UF small animal hospital in various departments (ICU, PCW, Radiology)
*I am hoping to get my veterinary hours to about 1,000 by the time i actually have to apply

Animal:

Non-animal employment:

Research:
80 hours working with rodents studying activity based anorexia (i attended lab meetings, assisted with general maintenance, observed and noted their food intake post injections and performed an ovariectomy on a rat)
*it wasn't that in-depth, but it was good insight into research based positions, and i learned it wasn't my thing really

Extracirriculars:
Flute choir for 2 years
orchestra for a semester
*i found it really hard to become involved in things in college, i found myself becoming really shy and wanting to avoid activities with a lot of people as bad as that sounds
You should post in the "what are my chances?" thread! :)

I only applied to one school as well! You are certainly not foolish! I actually had trouble with finances for the application fees, so money and tuition were large factors in my decision too. I am in an extremely awkward place. I was working part time (29-33 hours) which was great for finishing pre-reqs at the local community college, but I am struggling to pay for my own health insurance (a must have for a chronic illness) plus living costs. I have been trying to look for full-time positions now any many places said I am over-qualified or that they don't want to hire me since I applied to veterinary school and possibly wouldn't be 6-7 months from now. :/ So alas, I am trying to work several part time jobs to pay for more than one application this time around (assuming I wont get into my IS). Why is being an adult so hard? Might be worth a $2 lotto ticket... hehe:joyful:

I have been trying to look for full-time positions now any many places said I am over-qualified or that they don't want to hire me since I applied to veterinary school and possibly wouldn't be 6-7 months from now. :/
Similar issue with applying to new jobs here! I currently work part time at a vet clinic (I'm still in classes), and they are often overstaffed and have trouble getting me the hours I want... I know I'm going to want a full time position this summer before vet school, but no one is going to want to hire me for just 3 months... But now I realize no one wants to hire me for just 7 either :/

Similar issue with applying to new jobs here! I currently work part time at a vet clinic (I'm still in classes), and they are often overstaffed and have trouble getting me the hours I want... I know I'm going to want a full time position this summer before vet school, but no one is going to want to hire me for just 3 months... But now I realize no one wants to hire me for just 7 either :/

Yeah it is really hard finding temp jobs that fully utilize your skill set, are full time and will actually pay you something decent. Have you accepted an admission offer?

Yeah it is really hard finding temp jobs that fully utilize your skill set, are full time and will actually pay you something decent. Have you accepted an admission offer?

My other option is that I may go back to the doggie daycare I worked at a few years ago if I can't find anything else. They paid the same as I get now, and I don't think they'd mind that it was temporary... since I don't have to worry about making sure my experiences are vet school quality, it's probably my best bet to go there since the amount of hours will be higher than my current clinic.

I didn't accept yet because I applied to multiple I'm still waiting to hear from, but I did get into one school, so for me it is official that I'd be gone in August. I imagine it's tougher if you don't know for sure yet :/

I have been trying to look for full-time positions now any many places said I am over-qualified or that they don't want to hire me since I applied to veterinary school and possibly wouldn't be 6-7 months from now. :/ So alas, I am trying to work several part time jobs to pay for more than one application this time around (assuming I wont get into my IS). Why is being an adult so hard? Might be worth a $2 lotto ticket... hehe:joyful:
This is a second career for me so I couldn't find a paid job to get my vet experience hours to apply because I had no animal experience... Seemed silly to me since it was a minimum wage gig. I wasn't allowed to just volunteer either. I had to take a class (pay money) that allowed me a loophole where I could volunteer to work. Then I got passed over for jobs because they knew I wasn't permanent, so I share that frustration. Fortunately I was able to just go back to my previous career and earn decent money, with health insurance while I wait to hear. Unfortunately I haven't been earning additional vet experience hours because of it.

The wait to find out makes me feel like my whole life is in a holding pattern.

Adulthood is overrated.

Reactions: 1 users

Vet:

Animal:

Non-animal employment:

Research:

Extracirriculars:
Flute choir for 2 years
orchestra for a semester

That's way better than my application, and I got in, sooo... :) I had less vet hours, too. Maybe get some more large animal experience, even just volunteering. Don't forget high school experiences count too. I put down all 12 of my years of my musical instrument, and all awards/experiences from there as well.

How many schools are there left to hear from at this point? I know a bunch of us are anticipating Illinois this week, but I can't imagine there are too many schools left.

How many schools are there left to hear from at this point? I know a bunch of us are anticipating Illinois this week, but I can't imagine there are too many schools left.
Still waiting on decisions from Davis. Have yet to hear from Michigan State about a February interview, and Virginia is interviewing in like a week or so(can't remember exactly).

I still have a whole bunch to hear from. 6 out of 9 schools left to get decisions from for me.

Well I'm waiting on a decision from Michigan State but that's all I know.

I still have a whole bunch to hear from. 6 out of 9 schools left to get decisions from for me.

Which schools are you waiting to hear from?

Well I'm waiting on a decision from Michigan State but that's all I know.

Which schools are you waiting to hear from?
Washington, Purdue, Missouri- I have interviews at each but won't get admission decisions until February.

Oklahoma, NCSU, CSU- don't interview, so I'm just waiting on decisions sometime before March depending on the school.

I have yet to hear from Kansas and Michigan state regarding a rejection or interview.

I have an interview with Missouri, Minnesota, Mississippi, Ohio State, and Tennessee. I declined Missouri, Minnesota, and Mississippi. All these schools are still interviewing and I don't think they sent out any acceptance letters yet.

Georgia and Oklahoma do not interview so I am waiting on that decision.

I was accepted to Lincoln memorial and Midwestern.

So out of the 11 schools I applied to I only heard from 2 about a decision. The waiting is rough:whistle:

Yeah, I only have decisions from Colorado and Cornell. I'm waiting on Penn/Tufts/Minnesota (these three I'm interviewing with later this month), Wisconsin (does not interview), Iowa (already interviewed with), and Ohio/Florida (to hear back about whether I get an interview)

I applied to Auburn (no interview), Virginia-Maryland (interview this coming weekend ) Mississippi (interview Jan 25th) UGA (no interviews) LMU (interviewed and waiting for news) Tuskegee (haven't heard) University of Tennessee (haven't heard) so out of 7 schools and one a definetly no I pray I have an opportunity to go to one

I have yet to hear from Kansas and Michigan state regarding a rejection or interview.

I have an interview with Missouri, Minnesota, Mississippi, Ohio State, and Tennessee. I declined Missouri, Minnesota, and Mississippi. All these schools are still interviewing and I don't think they sent out any acceptance letters yet.

Georgia and Oklahoma do not interview so I am waiting on that decision.

I was accepted to Lincoln memorial and Midwestern.

So out of the 11 schools I applied to I only heard from 2 about a decision. The waiting is rough:whistle:
It has to feel awesome to know you are in, congrats

I applied to 5 schools. LMU(accepted), Midwestern(accepted), Tennessee(Interview on 1/23), Mizzou (had my interview on 1/9), and Tufts(still waiting to hear from them but I think I was either waitlisted for an interview or rejected. PRAYING TO GET ACCEPTED TO MIZZOU!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to 5 schools. LMU(accepted), Midwestern(accepted), Tennessee(Interview on 1/23), Mizzou (had my interview on 1/9), and Tufts(still waiting to hear from them but I think I was either waitlisted for an interview or rejected. PRAYING TO GET ACCEPTED TO MIZZOU!! :rolleyes:
Congrats on your acceptance I know your proud and you should be

Congrats on your acceptance I know your proud and you should be
thank you so much! I am very proud. I have definitely come a long way. I pray you get accepted to your top choice or any school you really like :)! I'll be waiting to hear from you regarding an acceptance :)