Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess it's loan related, but we get the $7000 maximum summer aid dispersed next month since we start in a summer term. When I was working out my budget, I was thinking I could save some and not take the full amount. Well, then I remebered I still need to buy the $2500 required computer they want us to have. And my $800 rabies shot. And then a parking pass. And who knows what else will come up?
If you don't get the rabies shot, you could catch rabies, and then die, and then all you'd need to be able to afford is funeral costs. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you don't get the rabies shot, catch rabies, and then die, all you'd need to be able to afford is funeral costs. :rolleyes:

I mean... My life insurance policy IS awesome...

Congrats, LG! I hope you have an awesome summer. :)

Anyone else freaking out about money, aside from loans? Money. Moneymoneymoneymoney. Why does everything cost so much money? Every month that I think I'm going to save more than $100-200, something somewhere crops up, and I HAVE to spend it. This is why I have to work until just about the last minute.

Starting to worry about finding a roommate. Man I hope I don't need to rely on a general posting on Craigslist. If I'm going to get murdered in Philadelphia, it is absolutely not going to happen in my own apartment at the hands of my creepy Craigslist roommate, dammit.
Thanks! I also understand the money stress. I've had several unexpected expenses over the past few months (having to pay a good chunk in taxes rather than getting a refund, a new battery and tires for my car, my insurance deductible after I got rear-ended...), which put a dent in my savings I'd built up over the past couple years. Sometimes I feel guilty for taking a trip rather than working this summer, or for picking a nice apartment by myself rather than somewhere cheaper with a roommate. But not guilty enough to change my plans. :p The way I see it, my mental/emotional health is worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The lease is up at my current apartment in 3 weeks, so I'll be squatting with a friend for 1.5 months until I move. I need to change my official address on everything since I don't want anything sent to the old apartment, but I don't know the exact address of my new place and I don't want anything sent there until I move in. So everything important (ie copies of my dissertation and new title for car) is getting sent to my parents' address...8 hours away from me. Not looking forward to this weird transition period :mad:

The lease is up at my current apartment in 3 weeks, so I'll be squatting with a friend for 1.5 months until I move. I need to change my official address on everything since I don't want anything sent to the old apartment, but I don't know the exact address of my new place and I don't want anything sent there until I move in. So everything important (ie copies of my dissertation and new title for car) is getting sent to my parents' address...8 hours away from me. Not looking forward to this weird transition period :mad:
That's frustrating. My boyfriend and I are in similar boats in that our lease is up end of this month, so he'll be couch-surfing until he leaves for China end of August, and I'll be moving back in with my parents until I move to Kansas. At least his parents only live about 45 minutes away, so he can still have mail and such sent there, he just can't live there because they have cats now and he's allergic. His mom doesn't seem to understand the severity of his allergy. :rolleyes: So he'll be a nomad for a bit.

That's why you have to be the creepy Craigslist roommate and murder them first. :p

Good point. I'm sure my cats will devour the flesh for me, and it's easier to carry a pile of bones to a hiding spot than it is a whole body. Not that I've thought about this ever before or anything. The real problem, of course, is figuring out how to still get the other half of the rent payment.

I definitely feel you on the money front. Didn't realize how expensive it'd be to move, rent a place, and all the other assorted crap I've got to get done before we go.

Yeah, moving is so stupidly expensive, especially when you have to put down security deposits and multiple months of rent up front. :( What I didn't quite anticipate, though, was all the up-front costs for materials we'll need during the first week. It adds up quickly.

Well, then I remebered I still need to buy the $2500 required computer they want us to have. And my $800 rabies shot. And then a parking pass. And who knows what else will come up?

They require a specific type of computer? That sucks. Big time. Does your school cover the rabies vaccine if you're on the student health insurance plan? Mine does, but I won't be on that plan, so I have to pay $285 per vaccine here at home or shell out $300 at school.

If you don't get the rabies shot, you could catch rabies, and then die, and then all you'd need to be able to afford is funeral costs. :rolleyes:

Or go and get bitten by something with unknown history, and you get it for the closest you can get to free. ;) I've definitely fantasized about getting bitten at work, since I end up having to handle unvaccinated animals anyway...

Sometimes I feel guilty for taking a trip rather than working this summer, or for picking a nice apartment by myself rather than somewhere cheaper with a roommate. But not guilty enough to change my plans. :p The way I see it, my mental/emotional health is worth it.

The guilt is real. My husband wants us to go on a vacation before I start school. We've never had a vacation in the 8 years we've been together, aside from the occasional weekend trip. But I still feel the "that money could go to something else!" guilt, and he hasn't even started actually planning yet. A trip will be good for you. That way you can start school recharged and ready to go.

Reactions: 1 user
I found an awesome upperclassmen roommate whose parents own the house and they want to help me out so they are not charging me a deposit, pet deposit, extra fees nothing and they are prorating my rent to when I move in. I feel so lucky!!! My move is going to cost me $1300-$1500 already so i already love my roommate lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I found an awesome upperclassmen roommate whose parents own the house and they want to help me out so they are not charging me a deposit, pet deposit, extra fees nothing and they are prorating my rent to when I move in. I feel so lucky!!! My move is going to cost me $1300-$1500 already so i already love my roommate lol

I had something similar happen. The vet I work for and am good friends with owns another house near OSU and shes giving me an amazing deal on rent with no deposit. Obviously, I will have utilities, but I am pretty excited at the lower total cost.

What about getting a PO box for a time?

What about getting a PO box for a time?
Huh, didn't think of that. Fortunately, I'll be going there in July anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to get all my important stuff. I'll request USPS send my local mail to my friend's apartment too. Just such a hassle to change everything and then change it again.

It took me a long time to decide to quit my job in June rather than July so I could have some time off and also get to move to Knoxville a month before schools starts, and most of my hesitation was because of money. I've had a bunch of unexpected expenses pop up and while last year I had close to $6k in savings, this year I've got about half of that. Thankfully I do still have enough to move and get settled and my bf has a job now so he's going to help me out if I need it before loans are dispersed.

34.5 days until my last day. Then 6 weeks of a break. And then moving, orientation, and school. Stoked for the 6 weeks of break.

It's starting to really hit me that I'll be in vet school in less than a couple months!:p Just recently put in my official resignation at work so I'm trying to get all my required immunizations before my insurance expires.:cat: Other than that.. planning a cool trip to Japan in July right before vet school! Anyone have any recommendations or tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's starting to really hit me that I'll be in vet school in less than a couple months!:p Just recently put in my official resignation at work so I'm trying to get all my required immunizations before my insurance expires.:cat: Other than that.. planning a cool trip to Japan in July right before vet school! Anyone have any recommendations or tips?

Sure. I lived in Tokyo for several years, and I know others on th forums have spent a lot of time there too. Where are you going to be in Japan?

Also, make sure you have a hand towel/handkerchief when you go. The humidity in July is no joke.

I guess it's loan related, but we get the $7000 maximum summer aid dispersed next month since we start in a summer term. When I was working out my budget, I was thinking I could save some and not take the full amount. Well, then I remebered I still need to buy the $2500 required computer they want us to have. And my $800 rabies shot. And then a parking pass. And who knows what else will come up?

Holy moly, what? Have you checked with upperclassmen to make sure that's actually required? Do they say why a certain computer (that is that expensive) is required? Our school IT department says they won't help at all with Macs so a bunch of paranoid first years run out and buy a PC and trash their Mac but it's a load of bologna.

Holy moly, what? Have you checked with upperclassmen to make sure that's actually required? Do they say why a certain computer (that is that expensive) is required? Our school IT department says they won't help at all with Macs so a bunch of paranoid first years run out and buy a PC and trash their Mac but it's a load of bologna.

Sadly, they require us to buy this laptop for several reasons and it has to be from the contract companies they specify. We take our tests on it with a lock down browser and it had to support hospital software. A couple of upperclassmen have tried to get around it and they say IT doesn't work well with them. Honestly I'm going to go through orientation and ask IT questions personally before I sink money into it.

There are a couple schools that require a specific computer, crazy as it sounds

Purdue has a required laptop too. Some type of Lenovo PC if I remember correctly from my interview day.

My PC is dying and has to be plugged in all the time because the battery only lasts about ten minutes now. I'm seriously contemplating getting a Mac before I move, but I can't decide. My parents said they would buy it as my graduation gift, and I know I need a laptop with a working battery for school, but spending the money stresses me out even if they agreed to pay for it.

It had better be nice, considering you can get a decent laptop for a lot less
My SO's can-run-literally-anything gaming computer was only a bit more expensive than that.... I know comparing desktop to laptop isn't necessarily fair, but agreed, that's a damn lot of money for one device that's pretty much just for simple stuff.

Last edited:
My SO's can-run-literally-anything gaming computer was only a bit more expensive than that.... I know comparing desktop to laptop isn't necessarily fair, but agreed, that's a damn lot of money for one device that's pretty much just for simple stuff.
Yeah you can get a top rated gaming laptop for around that price or less

I think it's actually a fairly common thing. We're also required to purchase a specific computer for roughly $2,000 here. It's a really nice computer, and I needed a new good laptop, anyway, so I personally don't mind all that much.
Daaaaaaaamn. I just wouldn't be able to foot that bill. I desperately need a new laptop, and have for awhile, but the ones I'm looking at are $800-1200 and I just can't afford that now. I couldn't imagine being required to spend upwards of $2000.
Sadly, they require us to buy this laptop for several reasons and it has to be from the contract companies they specify. We take our tests on it with a lock down browser and it had to support hospital software. A couple of upperclassmen have tried to get around it and they say IT doesn't work well with them. Honestly I'm going to go through orientation and ask IT questions personally before I sink money into it.
Yeah, I'd definitely harass IT to see ways to get around that bill... We take our tests using our computers at WesternU as well (and they say the software doesn't work with Macs, but it does), but we're not required to have a certain computer. I feel like the hospital software shouldn't be a problem with most computers either if it's halfway decent but I definitely have less expertise with that.

Is iowa's computer a Lenovo by chance? I'm so aggro because I have a Lenovo already, that I JUST got like a week before I was accepted. But it's not the right one. Ugh.

We have to have our own microscopes (that they recommend we rent). I still think that's kind of crazy.

In other news, every potential lead for a roommate has officially fallen through, and I'm starting to worry a little bit that my class doesn't have nearly enough procrastinators. Hopefully they're good at procrastinating and won't be getting around to looking for a place until June.

We have to have our own microscopes (that they recommend we rent). I still think that's kind of crazy.

In other news, every potential lead for a roommate has officially fallen through, and I'm starting to worry a little bit that my class doesn't have nearly enough procrastinators. Hopefully they're good at procrastinating and won't be getting around to looking for a place until June.

The microscope thing seems ridiculous...not sure what the deal with that is. I must admit, though, that I've wanted my own dissecting scope for quite awhile now, so maybe it's time :D (for a fair price of ~$1200). Also, have you been keeping up with the fb group? That's how I tracked down housing so quickly and I'm pretty sure that there are still numerous people looking for roommates.

The microscope thing seems ridiculous...not sure what the deal with that is. I must admit, though, that I've wanted my own dissecting scope for quite awhile now, so maybe it's time :D (for a fair price of ~$1200). Also, have you been keeping up with the fb group? That's how I tracked down housing so quickly and I'm pretty sure that there are still numerous people looking for roommates.

I have also found myself at home thinking "damn, I wish I had a microscope" :D but at that price tag...

I did post on the Facebook group and had a handful of people respond, but it didn't work out. For the ones I responded to before I signed my own lease, I didn't respond quickly enough. Even the time I sent a message less than an hour after the ad was posted, the room had already been taken. But there are a few listings on there that people have been bumping and reposting, so it seems kind of like a crapshoot.

Wow you would think that the tuition and lab fees would cover not having to get your own microscope. Are you supposed to haul that around with you to the lab? Or is it for home use only? Seems kinda weird.

Sure. I lived in Tokyo for several years, and I know others on th forums have spent a lot of time there too. Where are you going to be in Japan?

Also, make sure you have a hand towel/handkerchief when you go. The humidity in July is no joke.
I'll be in Tokyo, spend a little time in Kyoto, and possibly Osaka. I'll be going with one of my best friends. Do you have any must-see sights, food, nightlife you recommend?

UTK is offering an anatomy prep course for the first time this year and it seems like it could be a good idea to take it but... it's $800.
Hahaha I can't even express how much you should say "**** that." Enjoy your summer, don't study and spend even more money than vet school is going to cost you. If you desperately feel the need to prep for anatomy get one of the $20 colouring books and just learn big bones/nerves/arteries so you have a good roadmap to start from... but honestly even that isn't at all necessary.

Reactions: 7 users
Hahaha I can't even express how much you should say "**** that." Enjoy your summer, don't study and spend even more money than vet school is going to cost you. If you desperately feel the need to prep for anatomy get one of the $20 colouring books and just learn big bones/nerves/arteries so you have a good roadmap to start from... but honestly even that isn't at all necessary.

^This x1838386152882

Save your money, relax, don't do anything to "study" before vet school starts.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, that sucks. But now it makes more sense that one of K-State's selling points is they provide everyone their own microscope. I was like "pfft, what school makes you buy a microscope?"

I've hit a wall with packing/cleaning. I made quite a bit of progress over the weekend, but since Monday I've done literally nothing. I officially signed the lease on my storage unit Wednesday, but I haven't put a single thing in it yet. My dad will be here tomorrow at 10am with his trailer. I mainly have the kitchen and some random little things left to pack up, but I just do. Not. Want to. Maybe I'll make some margaritas after I get off work tonight to make things more fun...

I've hit a wall with packing/cleaning. I made quite a bit of progress over the weekend, but since Monday I've done literally nothing. I officially signed the lease on my storage unit Wednesday, but I haven't put a single thing in it yet. My dad will be here tomorrow at 10am with his trailer. I mainly have the kitchen and some random little things left to pack up, but I just do. Not. Want to. Maybe I'll make some margaritas after I get off work tonight to make things more fun...
I feel like packing drunk and unpacking sober is not a wise choice. Packing sober and unpacking drunk, on the other hand...

WZ, I passed anatomy without prep. And I am like the dumbest, worst memorizing student ever. If I can, you can. Save the $$.

Just in case you weren't actually trolling. If you were, though, well played teenage mom, well played.

My personal philosophy is that if the class was necessary for me to succeed at learning the subject material it would be mandatory.

I feel like packing drunk and unpacking sober is not a wise choice. Packing sober and unpacking drunk, on the other hand...
as5HjpJ.gif

Lol but seriously, if I do I'll probably limit myself to like, 2 drinks because moving with a hangover sounds no bueno. I won't really be unpacking until I move to Kansas in August, most of my stuff is going in storage for 2 months.

I feel like packing drunk and unpacking sober is not a wise choice.

Do not recommend this. One time I packed late after a night out for a two day trip. Left in the morning without checking what was in my bag.
It literally consisted of 4 black sweaters, 2 shirts, a pair of pants. No toiletries, no underwear, no socks. Luckily I was staying with a friend and could borrow her stuff....

Do not recommend this. One time I packed late after a night out for a two day trip. Left in the morning without checking what was in my bag.
It literally consisted of 4 black sweaters, 2 shirts, a pair of pants. No toiletries, no underwear, no socks. Luckily I was staying with a friend and could borrow her stuff....
:laugh: I'm packing to move, so I just have to worry about getting all the rest of my stuff into boxes. I'm also sort of packing for my roadtrip in that I'm putting what I'll need for the summer in a separate box, but most of that's already taken care of aside from stuff I'll still need in the morning.

View attachment 204342
Lol but seriously, if I do I'll probably limit myself to like, 2 drinks because moving with a hangover sounds no bueno. I won't really be unpacking until I move to Kansas in August, most of my stuff is going in storage for 2 months.
I moved stuff with a killer hangover just two weeks ago. I may or may not have puked on the side of the road.

My first dispersal of the Stafford loan is up on my portal, waiting for me to accept... ahahaha wtf

@WildZoo I have a disappoint. You should know better!
I really should. I don't know what got into me! I guess it seemed different because its a course being taught by the anatomy professor. But the money aspect was enough to make me stop and think and I'm glad i posted here. Knew i could count on you guys :D

I am not convinced she wasn't trolling us.
I wish I was. My first reaction when i saw the email was "uhhhhh no" but then people on the facebook page, including people in the class above us, were talking about it and recommending it and i got insecure :oops: