CONFESS here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stupid bad weather ruined my brilliant plan to get out of the house and go study at a coffee shop or the bookstore. Being home at my parent's house just makes me want to sleep and eat, and maybe play some video games...

Members don't see this ad.

Stupid bad weather ruined my brilliant plan to get out of the house and go study at a coffee shop or the bookstore. Being home at my parent's house just makes me want to sleep and eat, and maybe play some video games...

Ohh, maybe I'll start playing Zelda again instead of studying...still working my way through Pokemon too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've started playing a new character on Dark Souls this week :)

Can't wait for number II next March.

Such a fun game! I used to play it at my brother's all the time. Never bought my own copy... There was a funny video called "Two Best Friends Play: Dark Souls." Named their male character "Chesty La Rue" if I remember correctly. Hehe.

I'll be playing the crap out of Super Mario 3D World over the Thanksgiving holiday. I love that my brother is a bigger gamer than me. He buys everything. <3

Such a fun game! I used to play it at my brother's all the time. Never bought my own copy... There was a funny video called "Two Best Friends Play: Dark Souls." Named their male character "Chesty La Rue" if I remember correctly. Hehe.

I'll be playing the crap out of Super Mario 3D World over the Thanksgiving holiday. I love that my brother is a bigger gamer than me. He buys everything. <3
Yep. I'm hooked. Hence why starting yet another character. Rolling solo is entertaining enough but the multiplayer just makes it never get old. Cooperating is fun, but so is crushing other people :smuggrin:

Demons souls is one game that makes me wish I owned a PS3.

Ohh, maybe I'll start playing Zelda again instead of studying...still working my way through Pokemon too.

Agh, I made the huge mistake of starting Pokemon Black on an emulator last week. My otter just evolved into a freaking samurai sea lion, I swear.

Has anyone played the new Zelda game for 3DS? I've heard such good things. Why oh why isn't my free time infinite? :(

Agh, I made the huge mistake of starting Pokemon Black on an emulator last week. My otter just evolved into a freaking samurai sea lion, I swear.

Has anyone played the new Zelda game for 3DS? I've heard such good things. Why oh why isn't my free time infinite? :(

I just picked up A Link Between Worlds yesterday and it is Fantastic!! Highly recommend it :D

Currently doing this. My grades are going to suck now. Luckily, it'll be a while before I can play because my parents' house still has DSL.

Confession #1: I am really tired of the whole Christmas gift giving tradition. I don't need any more stuff. The people I buy gifts for do not need more stuff. Inevitably we just end up wasting money buying each other stuff simply for the sake of buying each other stuff. Maybe I'm just getting more cynical with age, but I find it really depressing that people spend money buying me crap that almost always ends up in the back of a drawer for a few years before getting donated to Goodwill. And I know that 90% of the gifts I buy for those people meet the same fate. I wish people would listen to me and not get all upset when I truthfully say that I do not want or need anything for Christmas. The whole thing has become so frustrating, and that's not the way gift giving should be.

Confession #2: I've spent the past 25 years sitting on the couch on New Year's Eve. Just once I'd like to get dressed up and go to a fancy party or have a swanky night out. Sadly that is not going to happen yet again this year.

Confession #1: I am really tired of the whole Christmas gift giving tradition. I don't need any more stuff. The people I buy gifts for do not need more stuff. Inevitably we just end up wasting money buying each other stuff simply for the sake of buying each other stuff. Maybe I'm just getting more cynical with age, but I find it really depressing that people spend money buying me crap that almost always ends up in the back of a drawer for a few years before getting donated to Goodwill. And I know that 90% of the gifts I buy for those people meet the same fate. I wish people would listen to me and not get all upset when I truthfully say that I do not want or need anything for Christmas. The whole thing has become so frustrating, and that's not the way gift giving should be.

Confession #2: I've spent the past 25 years sitting on the couch on New Year's Eve. Just once I'd like to get dressed up and go to a fancy party or have a swanky night out. Sadly that is not going to happen yet again this year.

Re gift giving: I agree and thus don't participate. People will stop buying you crap when you stop buying them crap. I started making goodies and giving them away instead.

Re New Years-throw a swanky party and dress up!

Make it happen!

Members don't see this ad :)
Re gift giving: I agree and thus don't participate. People will stop buying you crap when you stop buying them crap. I started making goodies and giving them away instead.

Same here! Unless it's an extremely close friend and I know exactly what s/he has been craving for months, I just bake things and package them nicely as gifts. Cheap and always appreciated. I've yet to hear someone say no to cookies. :D

I am incredibly mediocre at baking and crafting, so my attempts at homemade gifts usually backfire. I've been trying to nudge people more into the activities types of gifts: lets go out to dinner, go see a show together, go on a trip, etc, but it hasn't worked much so far.

Re New Years-throw a swanky party and dress up!

Make it happen!

Sadly my increasingly antisocial boyfriend is kind of a dead weight on that one. I'll just keep repeating my annual motto: Maybe Next Year!

I am incredibly mediocre at baking and crafting, so my attempts at homemade gifts usually backfire. I've been trying to nudge people more into the activities types of gifts: lets go out to dinner, go see a show together, go on a trip, etc, but it hasn't worked much so far.

Try gift certificates to favorite restaurants or other places that you know they frequent - I have a nephew that bought an old house that he is constantly renovating - gift cards to Home Depot go over well with him at Christmas. The others get gift cards to Five Guys (Burgers & Fries)! Those definitely don't go to waste :)

I agree with this. The vast majority of the time I don't really have money to be buying presents for people. My mother will always ask my right around Thanksgiving time what I want for Christmas and I always tell her nothing. But she always gets me something anyway... so I might as well tell her to get me things I need so that I am not getting something that will sit in the back of a drawer and not be used... I will ask her for simple things too... makeup, shampoo, conditioner, kitchen supplies, really anything that I would use on a day to day basis; it is better than some random gift that will never be touched again and since she HAS to get me something that is how I have dealt with that. Last year I got some small kitchen utensils and use them regularly, so they were great gifts. (Proof I am getting old).

I also don't tend to buy people presents unless they outright tell me something that they need or want, most of the time I get an "I don't know" from people, so I go to the ATM, pull out the money I would have spent to get some random gift and put it in a card.... then they aren't getting something that sits in a drawer for many years. (My sisters love this actually, they know that I will always give them money... lol).

Overall, simple things mean more to me and often times I will just tell family that I will take them to dinner for Christmas and we can then spend some one on one time together since I don't see them very often any more. (I can't do this with my grandparents because my grandpa refuses to let me pay, so I have to be sneaky with them).

I agree, I don't really like the whole gift-giving thing. We used to for a few years, when everyone was still around and living close by, at Thanksgiving time we would put everyone's name into a hat, then you would pick that person's name and that was the one person you would buy a gift for at Christmas, we also combined it with telling that person what they mean to you and telling memories you have had with that person.... those were probably some of the best Christmases we had; no pressure to get everyone a gift, just the one person whose name you picked and you also had the time to reflect upon how much that person really means to you... those were some special Christmases.

I agree with this. The vast majority of the time I don't really have money to be buying presents for people. My mother will always ask my right around Thanksgiving time what I want for Christmas and I always tell her nothing. But she always gets me something anyway... so I might as well tell her to get me things I need so that I am not getting something that will sit in the back of a drawer and not be used... I will ask her for simple things too... makeup, shampoo, conditioner, kitchen supplies, really anything that I would use on a day to day basis; it is better than some random gift that will never be touched again and since she HAS to get me something that is how I have dealt with that. Last year I got some small kitchen utensils and use them regularly, so they were great gifts. (Proof I am getting old).

I also don't tend to buy people presents unless they outright tell me something that they need or want, most of the time I get an "I don't know" from people, so I go to the ATM, pull out the money I would have spent to get some random gift and put it in a card.... then they aren't getting something that sits in a drawer for many years. (My sisters love this actually, they know that I will always give them money... lol).

Overall, simple things mean more to me and often times I will just tell family that I will take them to dinner for Christmas and we can then spend some one on one time together since I don't see them very often any more. (I can't do this with my grandparents because my grandpa refuses to let me pay, so I have to be sneaky with them).

I agree, I don't really like the whole gift-giving thing. We used to for a few years, when everyone was still around and living close by, at Thanksgiving time we would put everyone's name into a hat, then you would pick that person's name and that was the one person you would buy a gift for at Christmas, we also combined it with telling that person what they mean to you and telling memories you have had with that person.... those were probably some of the best Christmases we had; no pressure to get everyone a gift, just the one person whose name you picked and you also had the time to reflect upon how much that person really means to you... those were some special Christmases.

Love love love that idea!

Try something like this- soup kits, no baking required and super adorable

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/soup-and-side-mixes/chicken-noodle-soup-jar/

I don't know what I did to make this part of your quote... weird.

I am so, so, SO unmotivated to do homework this weekend. I've been running around seeing people for 2 days and today I relaxed except for an errand I had to do and I do NOT want to do it... So I'll do it tomorrow :)

I haven't cleaned in nearly 3 weeks, except for litter boxes and animal things. I desperately need to clean! My kitchen is atrocious. Today is the first day I can sort of hobble around with one crutch and actually carry stuff, but I can't get my butt off the couch. Sitting here playing Poker and doing puzzles. Laaaaazy and no excuse for it.

I just picked up A Link Between Worlds yesterday and it is Fantastic!! Highly recommend it :D

Excellent! I bought the limited edition 3ds XL for my boyfriend for Christmas. It's rather pretty :happy:

Excellent! I bought the limited edition 3ds XL for my boyfriend for Christmas. It's rather pretty :happy:

That is exactly what I bought :) My 3DS has a broken button, so I decided to get the bundle. LOVE IT

I disappeared from SDN for a year, even though I missed everyone I felt guilty for not being on and then just... couldn't get back.
My confession: I missed you all and I thought about some of you almost every day and I was too pigheaded to come on here and say it. *BIG HUGS*

Reactions: 4 users
Nice to see you! I don't believe we met.

Confession: My sister and her fiancé have been eroding my nerves so much. I have to drive them to the airport in two days and I already know that it will take all of my energy not to throw the vehicle into a tree. :/

I disappeared from SDN for a year, even though I missed everyone I felt guilty for not being on and then just... couldn't get back.
My confession: I missed you all and I thought about some of you almost every day and I was too pigheaded to come on here and say it. *BIG HUGS*
FTB!! I missed you!

I am craving a piece of chocolate cake SO badly right now. Must not procrastinate by baking....

I have slowly stopped giving gifts to people little by little. Now it doesn't happen at all. Not for holidays, or birthday or anything. I am fine with it. Somehow my family thinks I am "cheap".. whatever.

I was also a huge fan of Pokemon Snap on N64 :)
I may or may not have my gameboy advance here at school with pokemon games to play from time to time...
Bed Bath and Beyond is selling "classic" game machines.
They had an Atari 2600 (which I had). And I think a N64 as well.
I ALMOST bought one, but realized I didn't need another time sink in my life.

I have been saying this for YEARS and my family FINALLY, this year, gets it. We decided to focus on my niece, and just get each other some necessities, like toiletries, for our stockings. I also asked my family to be prepared and willing to help me out with things for vet school in the next year :xf:

As a born and bred NYer, I wholeheartedly believe that everyone needs to do Times Square on New Year's Eve once in their lifetime. It is sooooo much fun...I can't even adequately describe the atmosphere, you just gotta do it :D

As a born and bred NYer, I wholeheartedly believe that everyone needs to do Times Square on New Year's Eve once in their lifetime. It is sooooo much fun...I can't even adequately describe the atmosphere, you just gotta do it :D

I have been wanting to do this for awhile now but I've never actually had the time to plan it, or the courage lol a friend of mine did it and said it was fun but a really grueling experience because they had to get there so early and then couldn't go to the bathroom all day (her guy friend peed in a bottle) because they didn't want to lose their spot. Is that true? It's definitely a bucket list item of mine. I also hate the cold though so standing outside for that amount of time makes me cringe. I bet hotels are outrageously priced as well. There seem to be a lot of cons outweighing the pros for me on this one...

I have been wanting to do this for awhile now but I've never actually had the time to plan it, or the courage lol a friend of mine did it and said it was fun but a really grueling experience because they had to get there so early and then couldn't go to the bathroom all day (her guy friend peed in a bottle) because they didn't want to lose their spot. Is that true? It's definitely a bucket list item of mine. I also hate the cold though so standing outside for that amount of time makes me cringe. I bet hotels are outrageously priced as well. There seem to be a lot of cons outweighing the pros for me on this one...
You'll only find yourself in that predicament if you want to be in the front, as into Times Square as possible. The crowds go up into the high 50's (TS is on 42nd) and you have just as much fun up on 54th as you would on 42nd. Probably more, cause you don't have to get there so early, etc.

As for hotels, keep in mind that NYC has subways, the LIRR, the Metro North, etc., so you can stay within several miles of Manhattan (even in NJ) and get around easily without paying for jacked-up hotel rooms.

Confession 1: I always wanted to be a vet growing up but changed my career path my senior year in high school because I didn't think I was smart enough (my biggest insecurity)

Confession 2: I dropped out of undergraduates in college for three years because of depression and reason above ^^ I told everyone that I was just burnt out but honestly, I just didn't believe in myself.
I recently gotten back into college last year and have a few semesters left to graduate with my biology degree and just recently decided to go back to pursuing my ultimate dream which was to become a Equine veterinary surgeon but as time draws nearer to take the standardize test and apply to vet school my ugly insecurity of not being smart enough is resurfacing more and more often...

I have slowly stopped giving gifts to people little by little. Now it doesn't happen at all. Not for holidays, or birthday or anything. I am fine with it. Somehow my family thinks I am "cheap".. whatever.

I am of the Sheldon Cooper camp, haha.

Sheldon Cooper: The entire institution of gift giving make no sense. Let's say that I go out, and I spend 50 dollars on you, it's a laborious activity, because I have to imagine what you need, where as you know what you need. Now I could simplify things, just give you the 50 dollars directly, and you could give me 50 dollars on my birthday, and so on, until one of us dies, leaving the other one old and 50 dollars richer. And I ask, is it worth it?

Bed Bath and Beyond is selling "classic" game machines.
They had an Atari 2600 (which I had). And I think a N64 as well.
I ALMOST bought one, but realized I didn't need another time sink in my life.

A local thrift shop is selling one(atari 2600) with 26 games for $160 and it works! I really wish I had $160 to blow on it.

I live in a large, high-ceilinged house and I'm currently here by myself, meaning I have control of the thermostat...I'm really cheap, so I have it set low (it's about 30 degrees outside) and I'm forcing my 60-lb. Doberman to lay beside me on the couch so I can mooch off his heat. The cat is on my butt. Now I just need another warm fuzzy for my feet. And, yes, I am bundled in a blanket...and layers of clothes.

I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it that much. Crowds are not really my thing, not to mention the expense. I still want to do it once before I die, though.

What I really want is a big fancy formal party with plenty of drinks and dancing. Last year I found a club that was hosting a "Midnight Masquerade" with free masks, free appetizers, and a free champagne toast at midnight all for only a $33/person cover charge. I was super excited, but my boyfriend didn't want to go. Even when we found out the appetizers would be served by female models wearing nothing but body paint, I STILL couldn't convince him to go. I was bummed.

I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it that much. Crowds are not really my thing, not to mention the expense. I still want to do it once before I die, though.

What I really want is a big fancy formal party with plenty of drinks and dancing. Last year I found a club that was hosting a "Midnight Masquerade" with free masks, free appetizers, and a free champagne toast at midnight all for only a $33/person cover charge. I was super excited, but my boyfriend didn't want to go. Even when we found out the appetizers would be served by female models wearing nothing but body paint, I STILL couldn't convince him to go. I was bummed.
To which I say...go with out him! Have a girls night out and let him stay home bored and alone.

... I was super excited, but my boyfriend didn't want to go. Even when we found out the appetizers would be served by female models wearing nothing but body paint, I STILL couldn't convince him to go. I was bummed.
I would've left him home then :p hahaha Then don't go to something he really wants to go to. Just sayin'.