CSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes they have moved on to phase 3. If you haven't heard anything yet then it means you are probably in the general pot. Now they are comparing everybody using experiences etc. Good news! I know several people that have gotten in with 3.0s

Excellent news, thank you! I am hoping my experience is my saving grace, my first few years in undergrad were not my finest hours! I believe you are an in state applicant, do you happen to know what their WICHE pool looks like? So sorry for all of the questions... now that I have joined the forum it is so nice to be able to bounce all of the avenues of anguish around!

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent news, thank you! I am hoping my experience is my saving grace, my first few years in undergrad were not my finest hours! I believe you are an in state applicant, do you happen to know what their WICHE pool looks like? So sorry for all of the questions... now that I have joined the forum it is so nice to be able to bounce all of the avenues of anguish around!

here is a link to compare previous years http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/ns/students/future_students/dvm_statistics.aspx

This year probably looks similar.

CSU is very good about considering life circumstances and they weigh heavily on improvement. Good luck!

For all of the combined program applicants still waiting, here is the message they posted on the portal today:

COMBINED PROGRAM DECISIONS: We are slightly behind schedule with the last of the combined program decisions. Please know we are still reviewing applications and hope to have combined program decisions posted in about a week. Sorry for the delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh gosh, has anyone gotten into Colorado from California? I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but I have >3.2 (not substantially higher)....it is my ***top top TOP top top top**** choice. I am in the "regular admissions process".....

Oh gosh, has anyone gotten into Colorado from California? I haven't gotten a rejection yet, but I have >3.2 (not substantially higher)....it is my ***top top TOP top top top**** choice. I am in the "regular admissions process".....

I am just curious, what has CSU as your top choice over Davis? Don't get me wrong, CSU is also my TOP choice, only choice for this application cycle... just being nosey!

And good news, I worked with a Veterinarian that went to CSU from Southern California... hopefully they will make decisions relatively soon!

I am just curious, what has CSU as your top choice over Davis? Don't get me wrong, CSU is also my TOP choice, only choice for this application cycle... just being nosey!

And good news, I worked with a Veterinarian that went to CSU from Southern California... hopefully they will make decisions relatively soon!

Everyone asks me that.....I just really like everything about CSU: especially because they have a good infectious disease program. Davis is great, but I don't like the city very much or the surrounding area. It's also really close to home for me, which is a good thing for most people, but I'd rather not be so close to home (lived @ home for undergrad). I also would rather live in Fort Collins.

I like Davis as a school, I think their new curriculum sounds amazing, but I really like the options(and curriculum) that CSU has compared to Davis. If I weren't studying right now, I would make a comparative list of the reasons I want CSU over Davis. I think CSU is a better fit for my goals/personality.....after researching the differences heavily.

Everyone asks me that.....I just really like everything about CSU: especially because they have a good infectious disease program. Davis is great, but I don't like the city very much or the surrounding area. It's also really close to home for me, which is a good thing for most people, but I'd rather not be so close to home (lived @ home for undergrad). I also would rather live in Fort Collins.

I like Davis as a school, I think their new curriculum sounds amazing, but I really like the options(and curriculum) that CSU has compared to Davis. If I weren't studying right now, I would make a comparative list of the reasons I want CSU over Davis. I think CSU is a better fit for my goals/personality.....after researching the differences heavily.

Sounds like you have great reasons... No need for a list, I'm with you, I am hard pressed to find a down side to CSU! I was just wondering, people seem to fall all over themselves for Davis, it is nice to see someone that preferes CSU. Best of luck with studying and finals!

Sounds like you have great reasons... No need for a list, I'm with you, I am hard pressed to find a down side to CSU! I was just wondering, people seem to fall all over themselves for Davis, it is nice to see someone that preferes CSU. Best of luck with studying and finals!

I agree, everyone wants to go to davis and is stupefied as to why I like CSU more....personal preference I guess, Davis is an amazing school and so is CSU!

I see CSU has served the Cool-aid extra strong this year. Howister if you have time after exams I would be interested in seeing the list. I think next year potential applicants would benefit from it.

I see CSU has served the Cool-aid extra strong this year. Howister if you have time after exams I would be interested in seeing the list. I think next year potential applicants would benefit from it.

I will definitely have time after finals, PM me if I don't remember to do it!

I just got an email from Dr. Avery letting me know I am one of 7 candidates who have been offered interviews for the Dual DVM/PhD program. I am literally so excited and beyond nervous. Anyone else apply to the Dual and get an interview?

Congrats on the interview for the dual program!

I just got an email from Dr. Avery letting me know I am one of 7 candidates who have been offered interviews for the Dual DVM/PhD program. I am literally so excited and beyond nervous. Anyone else apply to the Dual and get an interview?

Congratulations!! Good luck on your interview!

On the other hand this is really sucky timing for CSU students to find out results- right before finals!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks and yes I agree the timing is terrible. At least for me it's good news, but at the same time I have lost all of my focus on studying

WOW... what excellent news! That is such a huge accomplishment. Good luck with the interview; don't be nervous, just remember that you have made it this far and that speaks volumes about your strengths as an applicant!

Congrats on the dual program interview!

Last edited:
For the regular DVM program, last year, it looks like people found out on December 17th, a Saturday. Someone told me that we'd find out by the 22nd of December this year... This is from another c/o 2016 applicant, not a student there or anything. Anyone know if there's any truth to that? I'm so nervous :/ I just hate all this waiting!

Everyone talking about GPAs of accepted students and everything, I think CSU is one of the more unpredictable schools... They have no formula for admissions, they really say they just look at everything in your app as a whole. So yeah, some people get in with a 3.0, but then again, I've also met some people that were CO residents, had 4.0 GPAs, perfect GRE scores, Masters degrees in related fields, years of vet tech experience, etc. and STILL did not get into CSU their first time.

The unpredictability of their process just makes it even harder and more nerve wracking to WAIT!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

For the regular DVM program, last year, it looks like people found out on December 17th, a Saturday. Someone told me that we'd find out by the 22nd of December this year... This is from another c/o 2016 applicant, not a student there or anything. Anyone know if there's any truth to that? I'm so nervous :/ I just hate all this waiting!

Everyone talking about GPAs of accepted students and everything, I think CSU is one of the more unpredictable schools... They have no formula for admissions, they really say they just look at everything in your app as a whole. So yeah, some people get in with a 3.0, but then again, I've also met some people that were CO residents, had 4.0 GPAs, perfect GRE scores, Masters degrees in related fields, years of vet tech experience, etc. and STILL did not get into CSU their first time.

The unpredictability of their process just makes it even harder and more nerve wracking to WAIT!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
Their DVM portal says (on my combined program denial page lol) "We hope to notify Nonsponsored and Colorado candidates of the outcome of the regular admissions process by late December. WICHE candidates will be notified in mid-January."
But they are behind on combined program decisions, so I'm not sure out it will affect this phase of decisions as well....?

But they are behind on combined program decisions, so I'm not sure out it will affect this phase of decisions as well....?

I agree with this prediction. I think the new GRE and this new ETS PPI stuff will slow down the decision process unfortunately. It's not so bad though, I think I'd prefer bad news after Christmas.

I don't know if regular admissions will necessarily be delayed by the combined program notifications being delayed. They have different members in their committees for the most part: http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/ns/_...rinary_admissions_committee_annual_report.pdf
I guess it might happen though. Who knows!!! I either want to find out around the 17th like they did last year, or not until after Christmas. I don't want to be all sad on Christmas!

I checkmy CSU applicant status literally EVERY day...this waiting is killlllllllllllingggggggg meeee
I hope we find out soon!

...this waiting is killlllllllllllingggggggg meeee
I hope we find out soon!

:scared: I KNOWWWW....as if finals aren't stressful enough, all the anticipation is making me a crazy person.

Foxhunter, is your handle random or do you foxhunt?

I do foxhunt. Because I go to school out of state I only get to do it like one weekend a year now, but I did regularly from the time I was ten up until I left for college. We actually hunted coyotes more often than foxes (as they're more prevalent in Texas)

They do the same in Colorado as no there are very few foxes on the eastern plains. There is a club that hunts 1.5 south of FOCO. If you want more details PM me.

Hey guys, How's it going?

I obsessively check my admissions status page on the admissions portal each day, but today was the first time I checked the "receipt of materials" page in a WHILE. They've added a spot for Transcripts (with each of my undergraduate institutions named with an unchecked box next to it) since the last time I checked. Does everyone have this? When did it appear?

Makes me nervous.

Good catch. I have a box both my institutions and a box for the Fall 2011 transcript. Kinda makes me hopefully that they will need them to confirm my acceptance....
Did anyone that applied last year have something similar happen?

Duplicate post

Last edited:
Good catch. I have a box both my institutions and a box for the Fall 2011 transcript. Kinda makes me hopefully that they will need them to confirm my acceptance....
Did anyone that applied last year have something similar happen?

Scared to say... nope, my page does not have this. Are you both IS?

I also have these new boxes with all 3 of my schools :xf:

GermanShepMom, I am IS.

I hope this means they will let us know decisions soon! I check the page like 20 times a day. Mine also has the boxes from both of my schools and I am OOS

I read the post about the boxes and went into panic/tears mode....then I read the thread from last years applicants for CSU and found that they all drove themselves nuts trying to figure out what those damn boxes meant...in the end whether or not the boxes were there had no real bearing on the admissions decision. Some concluded that it had to do with OOS/IS....I hope this helps..trust me I went nuts to...like oh great! there goes my dreams! might as well bury myself under the covers and cry for a week. haha..

I read the post about the boxes and went into panic/tears mode....then I read the thread from last years applicants for CSU and found that they all drove themselves nuts trying to figure out what those damn boxes meant...in the end whether or not the boxes were there had no real bearing on the admissions decision. Some concluded that it had to do with OOS/IS....I hope this helps..trust me I went nuts to...like oh great! there goes my dreams! might as well bury myself under the covers and cry for a week. haha..

Thank you Lolobend! I just took a much needed deep breath!

Sorry I definitely didn't intend to send anyone into panic/tears mode!!! Like I said, I haven't checked that page specifically in a while. For all I know they could have added that box a month ago.

Last edited:
haha no problem! I am just going to ahead and ignore those boxes or lack thereof...it aint over till the fat lady sings! @rainsoup I was being dramatic :oops:P I just got a little nervous but thanks for the heads up!

Lolobend is right. Last year the 17th was the 3rd Friday in December. This year that is tomorrow. I only say that to look at the trends and to not raise the panic flag. If a notice hasn't been published, I doubt we'll hear tomorrow.

My page also shows the boxes and the application status reads like this:

"
Application Reviews for CSU's DVM program (including the FAVCIP program) have been completed. You have been designated as a Nonsponsored Alternate. This means you are on a limited list of ranked candidates who may be eligible to receive an offer of admission if a position opens before classes begin in the fall. College policy prevents release of ranking information, and there are few alternate offers made until after the response date of April 16.
We will contact you again as soon as we know whether there will be a position available for you this year. The latest date an offer might be made would be the first day of the second week of fall semester classes. If your plans should change in the meantime, it would be most helpful if you will let us know that you cannot remain an alternate.
Note: Alternate candidates are required to send official transcripts (to include fall semester if enrolled in fall courses). These should be received in the Dean's Office by January 20."

My page also shows the boxes and the application status reads like this:

"
Application Reviews for CSU's DVM program (including the FAVCIP program) have been completed. You have been designated as a Nonsponsored Alternate. This means you are on a limited list of ranked candidates who may be eligible to receive an offer of admission if a position opens before classes begin in the fall. College policy prevents release of ranking information, and there are few alternate offers made until after the response date of April 16.
We will contact you again as soon as we know whether there will be a position available for you this year. The latest date an offer might be made would be the first day of the second week of fall semester classes. If your plans should change in the meantime, it would be most helpful if you will let us know that you cannot remain an alternate.
Note: Alternate candidates are required to send official transcripts (to include fall semester if enrolled in fall courses). These should be received in the Dean's Office by January 20."

ME TOOO!!!! Idk if I'm excited or frustrated

I heard that they blew through their entire waitlist last year and started offering acceptances to people they had initially denied. Might not be bad news?

Congratulations to those with boxes and acceptance/waitlist statuses. I just noticed my rejection. I'm disappointed, but hoping I get better news in the mail from my IS choice, Washington. I'm 42, and would rather not wait another year! I offer my condolences to fellow hopefuls with rejections. May we all keep our chins up and hearts strong.

ME TOOO!!!! Idk if I'm excited or frustrated

My sentiments exactly. I had viewed CSU as a longshot since I am OOS, but the prospect of waiting until April or later to find out if I get an offer seems too bewildering to truly get excited about. Any additional insight on how we are supposed to feel about this status would be greatly appreciated. :confused: ;)

I heard that they blew through their entire waitlist last year and started offering acceptances to people they had initially denied. Might not be bad news?

Can anyone else validate this? Might make me feel a bit more optimistic. :rolleyes:

There were some posts on another list that people who had been outright denied received acceptances over the summer months. Wouldn't that be a nice suprise if you thought you'd been outright denied lol.