CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woohoo!! Got my acceptance letter! So freaking happy o(>.<)o

Members don't see this ad.

I got my acceptance letter today as well!!! I'm so freaking excited! I can't wait! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is awesome news!
I haven't received anything yet :(
Hopefully I'll get something in the mail tomorrow... this wait is so hard!!!

Btw, did your status online (my.csudh) change?

I got my acceptance letter yesterday too! :) don't worry your letter will come soon!! the wait is horrible though.

my stats for ninja:

undergrad: 3.73, sociology major
pre-req: 3.9
GRE: verbal: 158, quant: 160, writing: 5
volunteer: 90 hours at two pediatric clinics

congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to everyone else!

Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing your stats if you got in?

Happy to hear all the great news! I just opened my acceptance letter today as well :)
My status on CSUDH has already changed.

undergrad GPA: 3.59, Psychology and Education
GRE: V 150 Q 150 W 4
Experience: 2 1/2 at a pediatric clinic
1 year at a public school for kids with autism
2 1/2 mos. at a SNF
3 mos. as a job coach for adults with disabilities

Undergrad: 3.39, Biological Sciences
GRE: V 152 Q 154 W 4
Volunteer: over 100 hours at 3 diff. clinics
worked over 1 yr with children on fine and gross motor skills

I received my letter today stating that I am on the alternate list. I'm pretty bummed but I'm glad there is still hope. Does anyone know anything about how many people typically get accepted off of the alternate list?

Congratulations to all of the people who have been accepted! I hope those of us on the alternate list will be joining you soon :)

Hi, I'm new to the path to OT. I just saw this on csudh website:

"Beginning Spring 2015 program admission, MSOT Program applicants need to have completed all admission requirements, including the Bachelors degree and all prerequisite courses before application packet submission that is due on September 15, 2014."

So does that mean you cannot have any pre-reqs in progress during/after application?? Am I understanding this right?

Hi, I'm new to the path to OT. I just saw this on csudh website:

"Beginning Spring 2015 program admission, MSOT Program applicants need to have completed all admission requirements, including the Bachelors degree and all prerequisite courses before application packet submission that is due on September 15, 2014."

So does that mean you cannot have any pre-reqs in progress during/after application?? Am I understanding this right?

That's right. You have to have all of your pre-reqs completed by the time you apply. It sucks for those applicants who will be finishing up the last of their pre-reqs when it's time to apply, but on the other hand I guess it does help to cut down the number of applicants which I hear have been growing exponentially every year :confused:

I'm so amazingly happy to hear that I've been accepted as well. I was so nervous and actually thought I hadn't made it since I hadn't heard back.

Undergrad: UCLA, American Lit, 3.54
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE Math: 154, Verbal: 157, Writing: 4
Volunteer: 100hrs Cedars-Sinai: Acute Therapy (PT), 200hrs Professional Child Development Associates (OT)
Work: Activities Assistant for Alzheimer's / dementia population at Assisted Living Facility.

Any of you guys know the full cost of the program? Worried about financial aid now, heard they don't give grad students grants, just loans :T

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of you guys know the full cost of the program? Worried about financial aid now, heard they don't give grad students grants, just loans :T
That's not true. students in the program told us during the info session that they received grants that covered the whole tuition of a semester.

On the site it says that it cost approximately $3,700 plus lab fees per semester.

Has anyone received any updates about the curriculum or orientation or anything yet?

Did anyone who got into CSUDH also receive acceptance from WUSTL this week? Any insight on how to weigh the two? Still leav

For those who got accepted, when do you have to submit your letters of commitment by?

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! I heard back in October and am excited to start. I see some fellow Bruins were accepted. :)

On a side note, I'm from San Diego so I'm currently looking for a place to live. Does anyone know of any good areas they would recommend not too far from campus? I'd appreciate any and all help! Thanks.

Also, has anyone received their financial aid award yet? I keep contacting the office but still nothing.

I haven't heard about financial aid at all either. When I check on the package it shows no awards at all. It's kind of concerning me actually.

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! I heard back in October and am excited to start. I see some fellow Bruins were accepted. :)

On a side note, I'm from San Diego so I'm currently looking for a place to live. Does anyone know of any good areas they would recommend not too far from campus? I'd appreciate any and all help! Thanks.

Also, has anyone received their financial aid award yet? I keep contacting the office but still nothing.
You should check out places in Long Beach. It's close and not too expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone on the wait list heard of anything? :/ Does anyone know how the waitlist works at csudh?

You should check out places in Long Beach. It's close and not too expensive.

Long Beach is great and pretty close to csudh... BUT there are some super sketchy areas so do your research! Torrance and Gardena are also close to the campus but similar to Long Beach - there are good areas and some pretty shady areas.

Has anyone on the wait list heard of anything? :/ Does anyone know how the waitlist works at csudh?

I'm on the alternate list and haven't heard anything yet :( KateeMac said those who were accepted were supposed to submit their letters of commitment by last week so hopefully we'll hear something soon. This feeling of being stuck in limbo is killing me!

Does anybody know if we can use older editions of textbooks?

So I was wondering at this point in the process, since everyone has been required to put in their deposits already... it is very unlikely that there will be students taken off the wait list, correct? :(

So I was wondering at this point in the process, since everyone has been required to put in their deposits already... it is very unlikely that there will be students taken off the wait list, correct? :(

I saw last year someone posted on Dec. 21st that she got off the alternate list. I'm still holding onto that little tiny glimmer of hope :xf: Did you apply anywhere else, CaliOTgrl?

There's still hope if you're among the top people in the waitlist. Last year I had already submitted my deposit and then rescinded my intent to register

I just received a rejection letter and I'm so confused o_O It was dated Nov. 20, which was only a few days after the letter stating that I was on the alternate list was written (Nov. 12). The rejection letter didn't state anything about being taken off the alternate list and it sounds like an original rejection letter. I'm wondering if either I was never meant to get the alternate list letter or if they sent the rejection letter inadvertently, OR if that's their way of saying I have now been taken off the alternate list and rejected. I tried calling but they're closed until after New Year's.

Has anyone else received this sort of letter?? I'm confused as to how they could reject people off the alternate list already since they still don't know if people will withdraw or not.

Orientation is tomorrow. Can any previous students talk about what happens during orientation?

Hi everyone,
I just got rejected from USC , and I am super bummed right now.
Since CSUDH is the next program I am applying for, I appreciate if any of you could offer any advice that you think helped you got accepted?
I see several students all with various stats (from high gpa's & gre's to average gpa's & gre's) which made me curious on the acceptance criteria and how to boost my chances.
My stats are:
University: UCLA
Cumulative GPA: 3.075 yes that that low --> Chemistry Major
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 153Q, 151V, 4AWA
Volunteer: 90 in hand therapy, 50 physical rehab, 100 pediatric, probably more after this summer

I was also curious of CSUDH looks at your UNDERGRAD GPA or your CUMULATIVE GPA?
If so, how does this work for students who spent the first 2 years in community college and then transferred to a university? Does CSUDH only look at the GPA of the years you spent at university? If so, my GPA is much lower than listed above since I took a majority of my pre-req courses AFTER i finished undergrad and that means I pretty much can't apply to CSUDH if they only look at UNDERGRAD GPA since there is no way to raise it at all with classes taken after you graduate, which is kinda dumb if you ask me because it screws over people who had either a difficult major for undergrad or did not perform well during undergrad, giving them no way to redeem their GPA.

I was also wondering if CSUDH, takes your highest score from each section of the GRE (like USC does) or do they look at your best overall scores from one sitting?

Sorry for so many questions. I am just so lost, distraught, and discouraged right now having just been rejected to USC. I am just trying to get things in perspective right now. Thank you all in advanced for your help, I appreciate it!

Hi everyone,
Since CSUDH is the next program I am applying for, I appreciate if any of you could offer any advice that you think helped you got accepted?
I see several students all with various stats (from high gpa's & gre's to average gpa's & gre's) which made me curious on the acceptance criteria and how to boost my chances.
My stats are:
Volunteer: 90 in hand therapy, 50 physical rehab, 100 pediatric, probably more after this summer

If so, how does this work for students who spent the first 2 years in community college and then transferred to a university? Does CSUDH only look at the GPA of the years you spent at university? If so, my GPA is much lower than listed above since I took a majority of my pre-req courses AFTER i finished undergrad and that means I pretty much can't apply to CSUDH if they only look at UNDERGRAD GPA since there is no way to raise it at all with classes taken after you graduate, which is kinda dumb if you ask me because it screws over people who had either a difficult major for undergrad or did not perform well during undergrad, giving them no way to redeem their GPA.

I was also wondering if CSUDH, takes your highest score from each section of the GRE (like USC does) or do they look at your best overall scores from one sitting?

Sorry for so many questions. I am just so lost, distraught, and discouraged right now having just been rejected to USC. I am just trying to get things in perspective right now. Thank you all in advanced for your help, I appreciate it!

Hello deejay,

I'm going to attempt to answer your above listed questions, although because I have yet to attend a proper inform session from DH unfortunately I can't guarantee you that my responses are 100% accurate. That said, I have been doing a fair amount of research on OT schools, acceptances, prereqs... etc, so I'd like to think I'm not far off.

It is my understanding that DH considers your entire cumulative GPA earned during the course of your Bachelor's degree. There are others schools though that only consider your last 60 units such as SJSU, so just be mindful and do your research. As for the GREs, I think they will take your highest score earned for each section. I've not come across a school that takes your highest GRE score from one sitting ... thank goodness right?

I'm sorry to hear about USC. But please don't be discouraged by your GPA. I understand it's not ideal, but there are indeed students admitted into OT programs with less than competitive undergrad GPAs. Having a 4.0 in prereqs helps a lot and honestly, if you can increase your GREs to over 165 each I think you may have more or less leveled the playing field for yourself. Here's a link to a thread where one student with a 3.0 was admitted into OT program: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/csudh-discussion.955353/ -- I believe it's actually the same thread but from many years ago. In addition, I have personally read stats as low as 3.1 get admitted into DH. From where exactly, I can't recall.

I also am applying for the Spring '16 cohort. Kind of scary! Best of luck to you.

Hello deejay,

I'm going to attempt to answer your above listed questions, although because I have yet to attend a proper inform session from DH unfortunately I can't guarantee you that my responses are 100% accurate. That said, I have been doing a fair amount of research on OT schools, acceptances, prereqs... etc, so I'd like to think I'm not far off.

It is my understanding that DH considers your entire cumulative GPA earned during the course of your Bachelor's degree. There are others schools though that only consider your last 60 units such as SJSU, so just be mindful and do your research. As for the GREs, I think they will take your highest score earned for each section. I've not come across a school that takes your highest GRE score from one sitting ... thank goodness right?

I'm sorry to hear about USC. But please don't be discouraged by your GPA. I understand it's not ideal, but there are indeed students admitted into OT programs with less than competitive undergrad GPAs. Having a 4.0 in prereqs helps a lot and honestly, if you can increase your GREs to over 165 each I think you may have more or less leveled the playing field for yourself. Here's a link to a thread where one student with a 3.0 was admitted into OT program: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/csudh-discussion.955353/ -- I believe it's actually the same thread but from many years ago. In addition, I have personally read stats as low as 3.1 get admitted into DH. From where exactly, I can't recall.

I also am applying for the Spring '16 cohort. Kind of scary! Best of luck to you.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
Also, thanks for the confidence booster and advice, it was really helpful.
I'll be attending CSUDH's info session next week. I'll be sure to let you and everyone on this thread know if I hear anything worth mentioning.
Thanks again! Good luck to you too!

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
Also, thanks for the confidence booster and advice, it was really helpful.
I'll be attending CSUDH's info session next week. I'll be sure to let you and everyone on this thread know if I hear anything worth mentioning.
Thanks again! Good luck to you too!

I am too, actually... I hope it's not hundreds of people like it was at WCU

Hi everyone,
My stats are:

Hey @deejayy, I applied to csudh this year, got on the alternate list, then ultimately did not get a spot. Hopefully I can provide a little insight. First, they only look at your gpa from any credits earned towards your bachelor's degree. Like you said, this is totally ridiculous if you ask me. I pretty much screwed up the first few years of my undergrad which was over 10 years ago. I took many many classes after my degree, including all of my pre-reqs, but none of those credits counted towards the gpa. That being said, they do look at your prereq gpa separately and I think it's weighted pretty heavily. So it's great that you have a 4.0 in those. As for the GRE, they take your verbal and quantitative scores from ONE SITTING. They will take your highest awa score from any test. I can't say for sure, but from my experience, I would guess that with your gpa (mine was a 3.15), you should try to get your awa score up to a 5.0. My 4.5 was not good enough and it seems like most people who were admitted with low gpas had at least a 5.0. I'm going off of memory here so don't hold me to this, but I think they have some sort of rubric system where they look at: 1. undergrad gpa 2. pre-req gpa 3. gre scores 4. LORs 5. volunteer experience 6. possibly your personal statement, then finally, the interview. So if you are lacking in one area, I would try to improve the other areas as much as possible.

Also, just a side note, usc and llu have a much more holistic approach to selecting their students (just speaking for the socal schools I applied to). I feel like they tend to look more at what you've done, who you are, etc than the grades on your transcript. I would just try to up your gre scores a bit, make sure you have good LORs and spend a LOT of time on your personal statement to make it as amazing as possible. My stats were very similar to yours. You definitely have a shot - don't give up! I hope this helps. I know how stressful the app process is :-/

I am too, actually... I hope it's not hundreds of people like it was at WCU

I'm attending the WCU info session in July. WCU was kinda of supposed to be my backup, but reading as you said there was hundreds of people that attended WCU's info session it looks like it's going to be pretty competitive then :unsure:

I'm attending the WCU info session in July. WCU was kinda of supposed to be my backup, but reading as you said there was hundreds of people that attended WCU's info session it looks like it's going to be pretty competitive then :unsure:

I think you have a great chance... You do have a 4.0 in prereqs! :) but keep in mind they do have a few more prereq classes than DH so I would check it out. A great thing about WCU is that there are two admission periods in one year. They are also my back up school :)

Who is applying for this upcoming Spring 2016 admission cycle, Cohort 12? Let's keep this forum going and if you are applying, list stats below! :)

Who is applying for this upcoming Spring 2016 admission cycle, Cohort 12? Let's keep this forum going and if you are applying, list stats below! :)

Hi ya'll. I can't believe 9-15-15 is right around the corner! Good luck everyone.

Undergrad GPA - 3.6
Prerequisite - 3.85
GRE (practice test) - 157 V, 151 Q, 4.5 W ....oh how I hate quant.....taking real GRE in two weeks can't wait for it to be done!!!!!

120 hours of shadowing at pediatric clinic

and excellent LORs!

Your stats?

@10ninja Same here. I haven't called them, but if it's as you say 14 business days, wow that's long!:nailbiting:

I'll update you with my status here, please let me know of yours too if you don't mind. Good luck to us!:)

I'm applying for a second (and most likely final) time. I got to the second round of interviews 2 years ago, and was ultimately waitlisted (never got in).

Here are my stats:
Undergraduate GPA: 3.456
Prereq GPA: All A's with a B in anatomy
GRE: V=161; Q=150; Analytical Writing=4
OTR 495 grade: A
Good letters of rec
Tons of community service and job experience

Good luck to us all! :)

Hi @Idealistic87 ,

If you don't mind, since you've been through this process before I had a couple questions,

They had 2 rounds of interviews? So they interviewed you twice? How were the interviews like?

You have pretty great stats, were these the same stats you applied with the first time you submitted your application?

Do you have some advice to us first timers who are applying specifically to CSUDH (about the application process, acceptance criteria, etc)?

Thank You! and yes Good Luck to us all!:)

Hi @Idealistic87 ,

If you don't mind, since you've been through this process before I had a couple questions,

They had 2 rounds of interviews? So they interviewed you twice? How were the interviews like?

You have pretty great stats, were these the same stats you applied with the first time you submitted your application?

Do you have some advice to us first timers who are applying specifically to CSUDH (about the application process, acceptance criteria, etc)?

Thank You! and yes Good Luck to us all!:)

Hi deejayy,

I remember you. If I recall correctly, we both got rejected from USC last cycle, right? :( I believe we chatted a bit about USC earlier this year on this website. Are you reapplying to USC this cycle? I'm not sure if I will (but most likely will not).

Yes, 2 years ago, CSUDH had 2 rounds of interviews. I believe they only had 1 round last year (I could be wrong, though). The first interview was pretty much what you would expect (and to be honest, kind of easy!). Not to scare you, but the second interview was infinitely harder.

Thank you!:) My stats are unchanged, except my analytical writing score is now a 4 (not 4.5).

I think I didn't get in because I had 1 prereq in progress at the time (physio), and didn't do well on the second interview. While I'm not sure I'll get in this cycle, I know I at least have a decent shot, especially if I do well in the interview this time. ;)

I guess the only advice I'd give is to not be too confident in your stats...2 years ago, I thought I would FOR SURE get in, but I didn't, which was (honestly) a shock to me.

Hi @Idealistic87 , I remember now! :heckyeah:

Sorry I didn't remember you earlier, but yup we did talk about USC. Yes I'm reapplying to USC this cycle and hoping for the best.

Thanks for sharing, really appreciate it!:)

Hopefully both of us get accepted to CSUDH, being classmates would be fun and a great story too! Good Luck!:)