Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stokedvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something to look forward to if you are coming to Dublin!
http://www.ucd.ie/studentcentre/sc2/
Can't wait for it to open!

I didn't know about it at the time I was considering my options so it's an added bonus now! Comments and messaging people on this forum were a huge help to me in deciding between Dublin, and three other international schools this time last year. So now that I'm in first yr vet feel free to hit me up with any questions about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh my god! It looks so awesome :) When does it open?

I know doesn't it?!!! Well it was supposed to open this semester in time for some of the Olympians to train in before the games in the summer, but! it hasn't opened yet! The pool was filled for the last time in January so things are definitely moving! Kinda cool that they're putting in a movie theater, drama theater, spa, dentist, doc, physio, and randomly a debating chamber!!!...soo let's hope for September at the latest?!

Members don't see this ad :)
That looks awesome!

Stokedvet, where are you from? Why did you decide to go to UCD? How is your first year? I have so many questions (I was just accepted!)

Congratulations! That's awesome! so why did I decide to come to UCD over three other international schools?...lots of reasons but the main ones I was looking for and found, thanks to asking lots of questions like you, were AVMA accredited (for my loans), student support, great infrastructure, well established school, good facilities (the new vet building is less than 10 yrs old but school founded in 1800s!), small class size (around 40 in my class), big university with opportunity to meet other people from other departments as you walk out of the vet building! integration of these to provide other interests and opportunities, tonnes of clubs and societies...I guess I just wanted to have options to do other things too, although there hasn't been too much time for that its still so great to know they are there. Great location (less than 5 miles from the center of a big cosmopolitan city), no need for a car to get around, great shopping-food, anything within walking distance of campus...just makes life easier when convenience is at your doorstep particularly with an intensive workload. The list goes on. I went to visit the other schools and found they were a bit isolated by comparison. UCD has a big research farm we go to for animal handling classes and other similar practical aspects of the program which means there is a lot of "hands on" fun to be had! more than I was expecting, and that keeps it all relevant, interesting and breaks up the week.
But about the program -not gonna lie the more recent pre-reqs you have the better, to combat the workload but so far the professors have all been really supportive and positive, and are quick to help in any way they can. They were all really welcoming when we all first got here, even before then! I loved how the dean personally called everyone and told us she was "delighted" to accept us! How many schools have said they were "delighted' to accept anyone! none of the other three did!!! LOL! Anyway congrats again and feel free to pm me too if you need anything :)

what is this housing situation like? i will be bringing two dogs and a boyfriend so i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions.

also, what is the class schedule like during the week?

Thanks!!

what is this housing situation like? i will be bringing two dogs and a boyfriend so i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks!!

It is best not to rent a place until you see it first and places here tend to go fairly quickly. Finding a place with dogs can be a little bit harder, but definitely possible. I have 2 dogs and I stayed at a hotel when I first got here with them while I looked for places to live. Some places will list that they allow pets while others will not, sometimes you have to go and see a place that looks really good and then broach the subject. Often after they meet you and see you are a vet student they will be ok with dogs, but if you just call them most will say no on the phone. I was able to find a place fairly quickly and was only in the hotel for about a week. Places are usually availble for move in immediately and are furnished which is great. Being within walking distance of campus is key and there are a lot of great neighborhoods to check out around campus to live in.

The class schedule can change from week to week as far as how long you are in class during the day and you are usually at the farm one day a week.

Thanks!!

Yeah what Devyn said is right. I brought my dog with me to and it takes a week or two to find a decent place in the right area that will take dogs but most of them are really nice and reasonably priced (umm although if you want to live alone 1 bedrooms are pretty expensive so unless the bf has a job here, you might need to find a roommate or 2)!! The only problem is you def have to be here in person to look! Everyone that tried to rent a place without seeing it pretty much ended in disaster ;) if you want to see what's out there you can start looking on daft.ie ... I attached a neighborhood guide so you know what areas work best for getting to school.

As for the schedule while it does vary slightly week to week depending on tutorials/labs/farm trips etc. it's a pretty standard timetable. I attached examples from the fall and spring semester for ya to look at tho!!

Let us know if you have any more questions!! :luck: M.A.

Attachments

• Finding an Apartment around UCD.pdf
    441.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Year 1 Fall Schedule Example.gif
    42.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Year 1 Spring Schedule Example.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 48
With their AVMA accreditation would you only have to take the NAVLE, or do you have to take additional exams? I got waitlisted this year and am looking to expand my options for next year. My biggest concern about going international is getting back in the US to practice. Any info on people you know who graduated and came back would be so awesome!

With their AVMA accreditation would you only have to take the NAVLE, or do you have to take additional exams? I got waitlisted this year and am looking to expand my options for next year. My biggest concern about going international is getting back in the US to practice. Any info on people you know who graduated and came back would be so awesome!

It is just like going to a US vet school with the AVMA accreditation. All you have to take is the NAVLE and then any boards for whatever state you decide to practice in as some states require additional tests. :)

Awesome, that's my biggest fear. My next question is how to navigate their website! I'm trying to find out what their requirements are to apply and I'm not sure what they call their program. Also, did you have to fly over for interviews?

Awesome, that's my biggest fear. My next question is how to navigate their website! I'm trying to find out what their requirements are to apply and I'm not sure what they call their program. Also, did you have to fly over for interviews?

Here is a link to their Graduate Entry program info -
https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=53

Hopefully that works - I know you can apply via VMCAS, but I applied through the Atlantic Bridge Program. Either one works!

Here is their Vet Med page -
http://www.ucd.ie/vetmed/undergraduateprogrammes/

They don't do interviews, so no need to worry about flying over for anything like that. :)

So my last chunk of questions (for now!). How competitive is the entry for international students and is it easy to integrate with non-international students? Also what do you do about finances, particularly loans? Clearly I belong to a US bank and I'll be paying pretty much entirely with loans. Did you have trouble getting loans for the school?
And last but not least, are students typically able to room with other vet students or is it more of whoever responds to your ads? I don't want to live with some stranger off the streets haha.

Thanks!!

If anyone is looking for house-mates....I've been thinking about getting a pet-friendly house right next to UCD.

My wife and I came over last August with our dog and had a lot of trouble finding a place. We ended up spending a lot more time in a hotel than we wanted and signed a lease for an apartment that was more expensive than we wanted, but at that point we were pretty desperate.

So my last chunk of questions (for now!). How competitive is the entry for international students and is it easy to integrate with non-international students? Also what do you do about finances, particularly loans? Clearly I belong to a US bank and I'll be paying pretty much entirely with loans. Did you have trouble getting loans for the school?
And last but not least, are students typically able to room with other vet students or is it more of whoever responds to your ads? I don't want to live with some stranger off the streets haha.

The entry is just as competitive as it is in the states, but most of the students in the 4 yr program are from US or Canada with maybe a few Irish. The rest of the Irish are in the 5 yr program as they start vet med straight out of secondary school and leaving cert - things are done a bit differently in Europe. The classes then join together in 4 years (2nd year) and 5 years (3rd year). So it would be just like going to vet school in the states as you are with US and Canadian students. It is not hard to integrate with the Irish students though at least IMO - I am in the 5 yr program and I am the only American with the rest being Irish & British.

You can get US Government loans for vet school and those can be used for UCD. That is your best route for funding. Private loans would be a last resort.

You can room in the dorms here and there vet students are put in Glenoma, so you can usually choose to live with another vet student. There is a FB page that is set up prior to the year starting & then you can find out where everyone is living through that. A lot of students go that route. If you want to live off campus then you can network with people through the FB page to find someone to live with. So overall you should have no trouble finding another vet student to live with. I live off campus as I brought my 2 dogs with me and found another vet student to live with. :)