Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received the phone call last week and sending in the deposit on monday! After my interview I was sold. real excited to finally start med school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted people - message me your FB link and I'll add you to the FB group! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, I did the background. Go to precheck.com and there should be a tab that says students on the front page. There is another click in there someplace and then it will give you the option to pick Edward Via COM. Getcha 67.50 ready too.

$67.50... :arghh:

Hey accepted dudes of 2020, proud member of the class of 2019 here! If someone who admins the Facebook page could unhide the group, newly accepted students could search it. You can keep it private so you have to approve members, but that way we won't have people making more than one group. K? K! Thanks!
Val

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my secondary on 10/29 (non-traditional student so my academic timeline is a little off). Anyone know how long I should expect to wait to hear back? Auburn is high on my list!

Do you mind share your stats?
My primary was verified September 18th but so far heard nothing from either campus.... :(

I typically don't like to share my stats. However, I did complete a post-bach Masters degree program to boost my undergrad GPA and I am retaking the MCAT this January. I'm not really sure their screening process on why some get a secondary and some do not. I would assume as long as you have above a 3.2 overall GPA and at least a 24 MCAT and various EC's/ volunteering you should be a quality applicant. My MCAT was not a 24, which is why I am retaking never had the best of times taking the MCAT. As far as my MCAT goes I would be considered an "underdog" by some. However, I just disregard that because I don't consider myself underdog in the slightest. Perhaps you can try calling or emailing admissions to see as to why you havent received an invite for a secondary. That would be the best option I think. Good luck and let me know what they say!

Got an ii today! Can anybody share how interview day is at this university ? Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so I was accepted Oct 29th and still haven't been able to get a DO letter in order. I've called some DOs in my area and they haven't gotten back to me. I even emailed Jasmine to get a list from her and called some this morning but they haven't called back either. I am unsure of how to proceed because the deadline to hold my seat is quickly approaching and I want to send the Acceptance offer form + Check + Intent to get a DO rec letter all in one envelope so that all of my documents do not get separated.

What do?

Hey, so I was accepted Oct 29th and still haven't been able to get a DO letter in order. I've called some DOs in my area and they haven't gotten back to me. I even emailed Jasmine to get a list from her and called some this morning but they haven't called back either. I am unsure of how to proceed because the deadline to hold my seat is quickly approaching and I want to send the Acceptance offer form + Check + Intent to get a DO rec letter all in one envelope so that all of my documents do not get separated.

What do?

Are you in the East Alabama area? Dr. Edwards in Columbus GA and Dr. Buchholtz as well are usually very willing to let a DO student tag along. Both my son and I were able to shadow Dr. Edwards on a day of cholecystectomies and hernia repairs. Let me know if you need contact information.
V

Hi my interview is on Dec 1st so I wanted to what kind of questions should I be prepared for.

Accepted!!! So excited about this school!

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering if this school does silent rejection. I have submitted my primary long time ago, haven't even anything from them yet.... :(

I was wondering if this school does silent rejection. I have submitted my primary long time ago, haven't even anything from them yet.... :(

They don't do silent in the true sense...I applied last year and didn't even get a secondary. Five months later I finally got a rejection and a generalized explanation. So not silent, but also not immediate in my case. Hang in there though, I went from not getting a secondary to getting in this year. Make sure you call them and ask about improving your app for next year if it doesn't work out.

They don't do silent in the true sense...I applied last year and didn't even get a secondary. Five months later I finally got a rejection and a generalized explanation. So not silent, but also not immediate in my case. Hang in there though, I went from not getting a secondary to getting in this year. Make sure you call them and ask about improving your app for next year if it doesn't work out.
Thank you for your information. I will surely call them.

Congratulations on the new acceptances!! Be sure to join the Facebook group. Just search for VCOM-Auburn Class of 2020

Interview tomorrow! Staying at the hamptons if anybody is around and wants to grab a bite!

Can any current students share which apartment complexes the majority of students live in?? I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of loud undergrads.

Secondary received! Waiting to take the MCAT In January. I've heard the new MCAT is biochem heavy. Does anyone have any valuable advice for taking the new one? ive Been studying and still have two months left. I use Khan Academy for a study tool and the Princeton review for practice exams.

Secondary received! Waiting to take the MCAT In January. I've heard the new MCAT is biochem heavy. Does anyone have any valuable advice for taking the new one? ive Been studying and still have two months left. I use Khan Academy for a study tool and the Princeton review for practice exams.
Mine was very Biochem heavy. Know your amino acids backwards and forwards. Do as many practice questions as possible!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I took mine in July and there was a good amount of Biochem. I would know my AAs as mentioned by another poster. Honestly, I took the MCAT 3x times, I used Kaplan the last time and EK the first two. Everyone swears by EK, but I honestly think there is no substitute for putting in the time. Increased time is the only thing I did differently besides the Kaplan and taking a 6 hour Phys course which helped tremendously.

I took mine in July and there was a good amount of Biochem. I would know my AAs as mentioned by another poster. Honestly, I took the MCAT 3x times, I used Kaplan the last time and EK the first two. Everyone swears by EK, but I honestly think there is no substitute for putting in the time. Increased time is the only thing I did differently besides the Kaplan and taking a 6 hour Phys course which helped tremendously.

I will always swear by the EK books as long as you supplement them a little. I supplemented EK with a Berkley review book, a Princeton review book, and YouTube and nailed the MCAT first time. However, as you said, there's no substitute for getting down to the brass tax and doing the work.

I will always swear by the EK books as long as you supplement them a little. I supplemented EK with a Berkley review book, a Princeton review book, and YouTube and nailed the MCAT first time. However, as you said, there's no substitute for getting down to the brass tax and doing the work.

They are great for explaining concepts and ways to solve problems. The verbal is still out in left field IMO.

My point being there is no silver bullet for putting in seat time.

Last edited:
I honestly didnt really study for the MCAT, hence I got a 26, but EK looked the best IMO, concise and to the point. I just rushed to take the MCAT in january

Accepted people - message me your FB link and I'll add you to the FB group! :)
I am new to SDN and am not sure how to message you, please message me so I can join the page? I came here looking for the fb group to meet my future classmates! :)

I am new to SDN and am not sure how to message you, please message me so I can join the page? I came here looking for the fb group to meet my future classmates! :)
The group is public now, so you can just search VCOM Class of 2020 in the search bar and it'll turn up! :)

Hey guys recently submitted my secondary, and I know VCOM basically gives you an interview wherever they feel you fit best, but I am really captivated by the aspect of being linked to Auburn University... I am from no where near the southern USA though. Has anyone here gotten an interview to the Auburn campus who isn't from the south? Do the place emphasis on being from the south to have you interview at the Auburn campus? Thanks.

Hey guys recently submitted my secondary, and I know VCOM basically gives you an interview wherever they feel you fit best, but I am really captivated by the aspect of being linked to Auburn University... I am from no where near the southern USA though. Has anyone here gotten an interview to the Auburn campus who isn't from the south? Do the place emphasis on being from the south to have you interview at the Auburn campus? Thanks.

Several students in the class of 2019 are from out of state (e.g. CA, Utah, Texas), and that will continue with the class of 2020. VCOM-Auburn is obviously rooted in the South, but also has a commitment to diversity.

Being linked to Auburn is a benefit, but don't underestimate how awesome it is to live in such a nice town. :)

Don't rule yourself out just because of distance! I'm from South Dakota and was fortunate to receive an interview and subsequent acceptance.

Interviewing this Monday! Is there anything i should look for that caught your eyes when you guys were interviewing?

Also, for current students, does Auburn make you feel as though you are treated as part of the Auburn student body or is VCOM treated as a separate entity which happens to be on Auburn soil?

Last edited:
I just got an II here, but I am torn as to go or not. I literally just turned down my ACOM II because of lack of money, but now I am having second thoughts and thinking of going to this interview to see what they have to offer. Does this campus stand out in any special way? By the way, I HAVE read the past posts, but since there are very few pages I kind of want to get more current feedback now that people have had multiple interviews and can actually compare campuses. Thank you all, very much.

I just got an II here, but I am torn as to go or not. I literally just turned down my ACOM II because of lack of money, but now I am having second thoughts and thinking of going to this interview to see what they have to offer. Does this campus stand out in any special way? By the way, I HAVE read the past posts, but since there are very few pages I kind of want to get more current feedback now that people have had multiple interviews and can actually compare campuses. Thank you all, very much.

Just a single building, but it's beautiful and brand-new right near Auburn U's campus. The building is literally a couple blocks from the Auburn football stadium. Anatomy lab is up on fourth floor instead of the basement of most schools. I've had a few interviews elsewhere to compare with this school. I thought this school had some of the nicest facilities, just due to how new everything was. I think the affiliation with Auburn University is a huge perk as well, especially for research opportunities. This was my first interview this cycle and I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed like a very comfortable environment to learn in. All of the faculty and students were extremely welcoming.

I had never been to Auburn nor am I from the south, but I could definitely see myself being happy living there. It's making my decision for next year very difficult.

Just a single building, but it's beautiful and brand-new right near Auburn U's campus. The building is literally a couple blocks from the Auburn football stadium. Anatomy lab is up on fourth floor instead of the basement of most schools. I've had a few interviews elsewhere to compare with this school. I thought this school had some of the nicest facilities, just due to how new everything was. I think the affiliation with Auburn University is a huge perk as well, especially for research opportunities. This was my first interview this cycle and I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed like a very comfortable environment to learn in. All of the faculty and students were extremely welcoming.

I had never been to Auburn nor am I from the south, but I could definitely see myself being happy living there. It's making my decision for next year very difficult.
Very nice! Yes, I have a friend attending Auburn U right now and she says that Auburn is an extremely difficult university to get into and it is very good for research as well, which I agree 100%. This is exciting, as I would love to do research. The only thing is that the school I have been accepted to is also affiliated with a major university, which for D.O. schools seems to be fairly uncommon. The school I attend MUST have a major university affiliated with it and both of these schools do. I think I may attend the interview just to get a second look. Thank you for your input!