Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. What is your status at VCOM? Pre/Post-interview?
Most schools do not accept Pre-interview updates, I am not sure if VCOM accepts post interview updates.
Probably best to call and just ask if they allow for updates to your file at whichever spot you are at.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. What is your status at VCOM? Pre/Post-interview?
Most schools do not accept Pre-interview updates, I am not sure if VCOM accepts post interview updates.
Probably best to call and just ask if they allow for updates to your file at whichever spot you are at.

Complete for almost 2 months and no word for an interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Complete for almost 2 months and no word for an interview

I would call admissions and ask if they accept pre-interview updates (most places won't)
I also don't think a publication will necessarily be the deciding factor for or against an interview for you if you feel like you have a relatively competitive application. It is possible that your app is just with a committee member that is processing a little slower than the others. If you haven't heard by thanksgiving time I would be more active in trying to see why if VCOM is high on your school list.
But that's just me, not sure if others would disagree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call admissions and ask if they accept pre-interview updates (most places won't)
I also don't think a publication will necessarily be the deciding factor for or against an interview for you if you feel like you have a relatively competitive application. It is possible that your app is just with a committee member that is processing a little slower than the others. If you haven't heard by thanksgiving time I would be more active in trying to see why if VCOM is high on your school list.
But that's just me, not sure if others would disagree.

I mean I have a 3.5/503 and awesome ECs. I have no idea why I haven't been interviewed yet. People with worse stats than me have already been interviewed and everything. It's mind boggling

Reactions: 1 user
I mean I have a 3.5/503 and awesome ECs. I have no idea why I haven't been interviewed yet. People with worse stats than me have already been interviewed and everything. It's mind boggling

Well, the thing is that it isn't all about stats. VCOM definitely does a holistic review of your app.
You should be ecstatic that you have acceptances to other schools.
I can understand being upset that you have not gotten the chance to interview at the school but you are not guaranteed an interview, and they do not owe you an interview.
It is so early in the process that you cannot count yourself out at all. They are hardly scheduling interviews for November and they seem to regularly interview through Feb/March

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure vcom puts an emphasis on GPA (~3.6 and above) and some slots are saved for the post bacc program. There are like 10 or 11 in just my class. Just to give you guys an idea. Chill. When I got accepted I submitted the first day you could in July. Got a secondary the next day but not an interview call till late August for a late September interview. So they are probably just not sifting through August into September apps.

Submitted 10/3
Complete email 10/4

Crossing my fingers. Spent the $40 for all three schools. I wish I could've saved that $80 bucks but I'm not sour if they pass me an invite.

Submitted 10/3
Complete email 10/4

Crossing my fingers. Spent the $40 for all three schools. I wish I could've saved that $80 bucks but I'm not sour if they pass me an invite.
That's awesome. I submitted like 2 months ago and I am still not complete LOL

Reactions: 1 users
So I called admissions office on Friday about not getting a complete email, coz it has been over 3 months since they received my secondary, and they said I m in the last process of completion (idk what that means lol). The lady said that I should wait until mid Nov now. Just FYI if anyone is in this same scenario.

Reactions: 2 users
^Thanks for the heads up you two. I was wondering why I didn't get a complete email either.

Submitted 10/3
Complete email 10/4

Submitting my secondary Oct. 11, really hoping to get an II but not sure if I'm too far gone. Also fingers crossed

Submitting my secondary Oct. 11, really hoping to get an II but not sure if I'm too far gone. Also fingers crossed
Last year's cycle I submitted my secondary to them in January and got an II two weeks later. You're not late in the D.O. application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's cycle I submitted my secondary to them in January and got an II two weeks later. You're not late in the D.O. application process.

Good to hear, would you mind sharing your stats? I'm from the Philadelphia metro area, and I am really out of the loop with what GPA/MCAT can yield an II for VCOM-VC

Nah dude you're fine. I'm still applying to others and I'm not worried about it being too far along.

Good to hear, would you mind sharing your stats? I'm from the Philadelphia metro area, and I am really out of the loop with what GPA/MCAT can yield an II for VCOM-VC

At the time 3.42 cGPA, 3.36 sGPA, 3.82 MPH GPA (still had two semesters left), 500 MCAT. Also URM. I was ultimately waitlisted and rejected but they made a few recommendations on areas for improvement.

The impression I got from the interview is that they're very open to looking at the whole candidate, not just academics. They're especially heavy on service and assisting medically underserved areas.

Also even if you're OOS you certainly still have a shot (I'm a FL resident).

Anyone who has gotten accepted, do you all remember how long it took from the interview to the call? They didn't give us a straight answer on the time frame at interview, they told us like 1wk-1month and I'm going insane waiting lol

Secondary submitted! Hoping for an II! How long does it usually take, just for curiosity?

Anyone who has gotten accepted, do you all remember how long it took from the interview to the call? They didn't give us a straight answer on the time frame at interview, they told us like 1wk-1month and I'm going insane waiting lol
I'm dying as well
It's been 2 weeks but I feel like they should let us know soon

9 days

Woo-hoo finally complete today! Submitted late august!

I've been complete for 2 months and no II

I was told they don't send a complete email, but instead one saying you application passed a screening and was sent to ADCOM. Is that the email you received a few months ago?

Does anyone know what percent of those who interview get accepted?

I was told they don't send a complete email, but instead one saying you application passed a screening and was sent to ADCOM. Is that the email you received a few months ago?

No, it was a complete email. After a month and no news I contacted admissions to see if there was something missing from my app and they told me everything was there and that it can take up to 4 months after completion to get an status update

Does anyone know what percent of those who interview get accepted?
I have heard the yield is relatively high, but exactly I don't know.
The interview groups are small and only twice a week.
So I would guess somewhere close to 50%

No, it was a complete email. After a month and no news I contacted admissions to see if there was something missing from my app and they told me everything was there and that it can take up to 4 months after completion to get an status update

Sounds like a really long process, I wonder how many people they could have interviewed or accepted by now...seems like this school doesn't start admissions until December

Sounds like a really long process, I wonder how many people they could have interviewed or accepted by now...seems like this school doesn't start admissions until December

There has been a few interview and get accepted already

Has anyone been interviewed that has a 502 or lower and less than a 125 in any section? I've got a low section and it's got me worried.

Interviewed 10/6
Just got my acceptance call!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed at DCOM, LUCOM, and KYCOM.

Rejected from: WVUSOM, ETSU, and LUCOM.

Accepted to: DCOM and I should find out about KYCOM either today or tomorrow

Keep me and us posted. I've been following you and a few others as we've been in the same threads. Good luck.

Just got the call an hour ago, it was 9 days for me as well!! Thanks so much for replying and sorry for being impatient as hell hahaha

Nice man. Did you like your experience there? Do you feel comfortable with the rotation sites?

I also received an acceptance call today :soexcited:

Good luck to everyone else and congratulations to everyone who's been accepted!

Nice man. Did you like your experience there? Do you feel comfortable with the rotation sites?

I'm a girl hahaha but everyone was SUPER sweet, it was a very conversational-type interview, they don't try to pressure you or grill you at all. They take you on a nice campus tour and give you lots of helpful info about the school.

Also, are you referring to the 3rd yr rotation sites? My girlfriend is a third year at VCOM and I'm actually living with her at her rotation site in Abingdon, VA right now. To be totally honest, the locations are mostly QUITE rural. However, you do get to choose to stay in VA versus try another state, and you get to rank your choices within that state, so there's a good chance you don't have to be in the middle of nowhere if you don't want to be. Also, the actual clinical experience at the rotation sites is great, per my gf. They get lots of 1-on-1 time with the docs, they get to see patients on their own sometimes, and they have super high COMLEX-2 scores to back that up. If you can deal with (possibly) being away from Blacksburg for a year, I think its worth it. I think somewhere between 1/2-1/3 of the third years get to stay in Blacksburg for rotations.

Has anyone decided on VCOM yet? I just sent in my tuition check so now its official, would love to get to know some people who are attending next year.

I'm a girl hahaha but everyone was SUPER sweet, it was a very conversational-type interview, they don't try to pressure you or grill you at all. They take you on a nice campus tour and give you lots of helpful info about the school.

Also, are you referring to the 3rd yr rotation sites? My girlfriend is a third year at VCOM and I'm actually living with her at her rotation site in Abingdon, VA right now. To be totally honest, the locations are mostly QUITE rural. However, you do get to choose to stay in VA versus try another state, and you get to rank your choices within that state, so there's a good chance you don't have to be in the middle of nowhere if you don't want to be. Also, the actual clinical experience at the rotation sites is great, per my gf. They get lots of 1-on-1 time with the docs, they get to see patients on their own sometimes, and they have super high COMLEX-2 scores to back that up. If you can deal with (possibly) being away from Blacksburg for a year, I think its worth it. I think somewhere between 1/2-1/3 of the third years get to stay in Blacksburg for rotations.

Haha okay. Hey thank you for your reply. You're super helpful. That's great info for my interview.

Anyone who got the VCOM Complete Email from Admissions (not the payment receipt from PayPal) tell us how long it took to get a II?