Edward Via - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everyone who interviewed already, did you send thank you cards/notes? Just want to cover all my bases.

Members don't see this ad.

This was asked a while ago on this thread, but I didn't see an answer. Could anyone post VCOM's match list for 2015? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

If you look up their yearbook on the website it's near the end.

Reactions: 1 user
For everyone who interviewed already, did you send thank you cards/notes? Just want to cover all my bases.

I sent thank you notes via email but I really don't think it was necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is VCOM-VA = VTECH? Someone told me that they got accepted to VTECH but later found out that it was VCOM. I know that VCOM is affiliated with VTECH, but is it correct to represent VCOM as VTECH?

It's a misrepresentation for sure to say they were accepted to VT, but the affiliation runs pretty deep. VT is a research institute so having these opportunities available is pretty invaluable, especially considering research is typically a major advantage that MD students hold over DO during match.

Also, the college is named after Edward Via, and Jerry Via is currently a dean at Virginia Tech. They also accept more VT students than any other college by a large margin.

Reactions: 1 users
interviewed here yesterday and would really love to stay close to fam and friends--hoping it's not too late in the cycle to hear some good news in a couple of weeks ...has anyone heard about seats filling up recently? or any preference for IS students at this point?

I'm a little bit confused, so if anyone who has been invited to interview could help me out, that'd be great. When I received the call about an II, the woman I spoke with told me she'd be sending me an email to fill out a secondary (or something along those lines...). Along with my formal email confirmation of my interview date, I did receive an email to complete a secondary, but when I access the website, it's just my initial secondary that I already filled out in the summer. Maybe I heard her incorrectly. What are we supposed to be doing with the secondaries after the II?

Thanks for the tip Azete! Since my boredom knows no bounds, I compiled the information from VCOM's yearbook into a match list. I thought it was visually easier to process this way. Enjoy :)

Attachments

• VCOM – VA Match List 2015.pdf
    57.4 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the tip Azete! Since my boredom knows no bounds, I compiled the information from VCOM's yearbook into a match list. I thought it was visually easier to process this way. Enjoy :)
Wow they really have great matches!

I'm a little bit confused, so if anyone who has been invited to interview could help me out, that'd be great. When I received the call about an II, the woman I spoke with told me she'd be sending me an email to fill out a secondary (or something along those lines...). Along with my formal email confirmation of my interview date, I did receive an email to complete a secondary, but when I access the website, it's just my initial secondary that I already filled out in the summer. Maybe I heard her incorrectly. What are we supposed to be doing with the secondaries after the II?
So what I did was update anything on the secondary that needed to be updated and re-submitted it. Then on the "vcom vcamp" site there is a tab that says "Interview" and on it has an interview update form to fill out.

ETA: Congrats and good luck! ^_^

Last edited:
Hey guys, current 1st year at VCOM-VA campus. This is a housing plug for the current place we live and more for those with families and/or dogs. It is a 3br/1bath house with an insanely large fenced in yard and super laid back landlord (not me). I thought we were going to stay here all 4 years, but the only reason we are moving is because we are having another baby and we need more space.

If you're interested, PM me and I can fill you in on details.

Good luck with interviews, congratulations to those already accepted, and be patient for those on WL. I was a spring interview taken off WL so don't stress too much!

So what I did was update anything on the secondary that needed to be updated and re-submitted it. Then on the "vcom vcamp" site there is a tab that says "Interview" and on it has an interview update form to fill out.

ETA: Congrats and good luck! ^_^
How long did it take to hear back after updating your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, current 1st year at VCOM-VA campus. This is a housing plug for the current place we live and more for those with families and/or dogs. It is a 3br/1bath house with an insanely large fenced in yard and super laid back landlord (not me). I thought we were going to stay here all 4 years, but the only reason we are moving is because we are having another baby and we need more space.

If you're interested, PM me and I can fill you in on details.

Good luck with interviews, congratulations to those already accepted, and be patient for those on WL. I was a spring interview taken off WL so don't stress too much!
Cool! Btw, is there any thing we can do (on our side) ... if on the WL? Or really just gotta wait?

Anyone know if they still have seats available or if people are interviewing for WL? They didn't give me a straight answer when I called.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if they still have seats available or if people are interviewing for WL? They didn't give me a straight answer when I called.
...what did they say?

Yeah... Im wondering the same thing. I am interviewing there on the 8th and wonder what my chances are of actually getting accepted? :/

Wait listed today--hoping and praying for that crucial movement.

I feel you, but it's better than getting completely rejected--try not to get too down.
I had my dramatic cry in the shower moment, haha. TBF with how late I submitted my secondary and knowing historically they filled their classes by January I'm not really surprised. The early acceptance for next year is still something to hope for too.

I'm interviewing later in the month. Is it a waste of time and money to go, or are they still accepting people?

I'm interviewing later in the month. Is it a waste of time and money to go, or are they still accepting people?
So this is what they told us when we interviewed late Feb - they still have some seats, but will likely be all waitlist "next month", so I assume this month. Still I'd say it's worth it to go if you don't have any acceptances because even if you're wait listed they'll still consider your app for next cycle and might offer early admission for next year so you don't have to apply again.

I interviewed 2/29 and was accepted on 3/4. You should definitely go to the interview! They informed me that there were still multiple open seats in the entering class. I am proof that there is definitely still a good chance of getting accepted at this point in the cycle!

Just got my email today too! I interviewed on 3/7 and was also waitlisted.

Just got my email today too! I interviewed on 3/7 and was also waitlisted.
I was in your position last year. Interviewed in march, wait listed and got in mid May. All I did was to keep praying. And God answered. It's a great school. Very intense though. 100% match in 2015 with matches in John Hopkins anesthesiology and other great places. Keep them updated on any new progress and continue to show interest by calling and emailing weekly. Let your name be familiar to them. Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
I was in your position last year. Interviewed in march, wait listed and got in mid May. All I did was to keep praying. And God answered. It's a great school. Very intense though. 100% match in 2015 with matches in John Hopkins anesthesiology and other great places. Keep them updated on any new progress and continue to show interest by calling and emailing weekly. Let your name be familiar to them. Good luck

Are you a current student? If so, how is it going? how do you like it?

Does anyone know when waitlist movement will begin?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when waitlist movement will begin?

The typical answer for this is "April to May things should start moving," and "you can hear up until the first day of classes". However, that doesn't mean someone could withdraw a seat tomorrow and it could be offered to you on Monday. I dont believe there's any specific date as to when schools start pulling from the waitlist.

The typical answer for this is "April to May things should start moving," and "you can hear up until the first day of classes". However, that doesn't mean someone could withdraw a seat tomorrow and it could be offered to you on Monday. I dont believe there's any specific date as to when schools start pulling from the waitlist.
Do you know if they have finished up interviews yet?

Hey everyone,

I got a email from the Carolina campus, stating that they are not granting an interview, does this mean the other two campuses are also a no?

Hey everyone,

I got a email from the Carolina campus, stating that they are not granting an interview, does this mean the other two campuses are also a no?

Most likely yes. When I applied to each of the schools I got my interview at the Carolina campus and was only considered there. I am positive they determine a best campus fit for you then decide if you should be interviewed. I hope I am wrong for your sake, but I am almost positive that is how it works. Both the Virginia and Carolinas campuses have had accepted students day, therefore the classes should be full with a wait list. If you do interview it would be for a wait list spot. Good luck. I hope I answered your question.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question
Would the course 3020 Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy suffice for VCOM's 300 level course in Anatomy requirement?

I also took a 2050 Microbiology course offered at the school I attended that was for nursing/biology majors. Would I have to complete a Microbiology course at the 300 level? (it might look like I'm padding but whatever...)

For those of us who've just gotten silence since submitting the secondary: I emailed the admissions office asking about the status of my application, as I'll need to start applying to SMPs if I've been rejected, and it seems a little late to get an interview. They said I was still under review by the admissions director, it's just taking a long time because of how many applications they received. They also mentioned that the online portal does occasionally update with new info, but they'll email all the important stuff, and to make sure you're checking your spam folder, as that's where a lot of their stuff seems to go.

tl;dr
Don't let SDN discourage you, they're absolutely still reviewing/interviewing. They're just really, really backlogged is all.

Does anyone know how long VCOM-VC's waitlist usually is? How likely is it to get off of the waitlist for this school? :/

Does anyone know how long VCOM-VC's waitlist usually is? How likely is it to get off of the waitlist for this school? :/

If you don't get off the waitlist, there's a good chance they'll offer you a seat into next year's class.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance tomorrow, so hopefully it will go to one of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
I heard some people have been getting offers for guaranteed acceptance for 2021. Does that mean the class of 2020 is full?

And if you're offered a spot for 2021 does that mean you're at the top of the waitlist?

Has anyone asked where they are on the waiting list? I am hoping for a lot of movement come May 15th, but am really hoping I am not at the bottom of the waiting list.

anyone accepted to VCOM from the VCOM postbac program before? do you think the VCOM postbac was helpful in gaining admission and learning in general?

I just received an email stating that I am accepted into the class of 2021 if I am not selected for the class of 2020.

Reactions: 2 users
I just received an email stating that I am accepted into the class of 2021 if I am not selected for the class of 2020.
Did the email say anything about your waitlist ranking?

No it did not mention my ranking.