EIS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if the EIS website is up to date and provide real time info - this way, we can check our status. It may be helpful if those who did get an email for an interview (Mandooni and mlkmsgrl) to check their EIS account to verify this for us. If the site is up to date, those who got an interview should theoretically have a different status than the rest of us.

https://fms.cdc.gov/Legacy/Application/EIS/HomePage.aspx

This is my status as of right now:
Application Status
  • All of your application materials have been received.
  • Your application is being reviewed.
  • Check back for an update on the status of your application.

Members don't see this ad.

I am hoping the lack of response is due to the fact that many programs end their fiscal year today (at least the project I work on does). Although I have been thinking maybe they are waiting on the responses from last Thursday's emails before sending out the next round of emails. Either way the waiting is beginning to take a toll on not just me but everyone around me since I have the entire interview period on hold right now.

Yes, from last years experience, which is no way reflective of this year...the longer the wait, the more likely it's bad news. They should have finished emailing people and are waiting the 5 day period for responses...and then, once all responses are in - send out rejection emails or the few waiting list people for interviews. This way, there is a 2 week period before the interviews start and for them to round up info/ questions for the interview weeks.

Again, just my perspective. Maybe their digital system is being wonky and maybe the end of the fiscal year is impacting the reviewers? Maybe...

I would like to call again but am trying to be patient. I'm grateful for this blog to at least vent a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember the wording, but my husband did say that his status was updated to something else the same day he got the invite. Sorry that's not much help!

Don't they interview something like 50 % of the applicants? If so, I would think more than 2 of us would get interviews but who knows...

First time poster, but has been following this thread and last year one also. Last year when you got an EIS interview, your application status did change where it stated you were invited for an interview. Like everyone else, I am also waiting to know if I got an interview or not. So stressful...

Typically, they interview 200-plus, or they interview about 3 people for every position they have. ~80 to 90 positions x 3 = 240 to 270. So, the ratio isn't dependent on the number of applicants but the need/ availability of positions.

Last year they have a 'record setting' 534 complete applications. They did interview over 200 people (from my own knowledge) and they accepted 81 people into the class last year. Check out the letter in the Preface.
http://www.cdc.gov/eis/downloads/2013-EIS-Conference.pdf

Last edited:
(combined with above post)

Last edited:
I just received the invitation email. :) Hope everybody hears back in the next couple hours too!! I do not wish this suspense on anyone!!

Congratulations! I think I must be out. Feeling bummed...

I have yet to hear anything either. At this point, I don't think an interview will happen. I feel bummed cause I met with people at the CDC and people who are EIS alumni. They also helped me with my essay. I don't know what else I could've done. Perhaps, I was overqualified given I have a phd and a several pubs/presentations. Plus, I'm on a research postdoc right now. I really thought I'd get at least an interview. :(

I'm hoping that I'm wrong and an invite will turn up before the week is over, but I'm no longer holding my breath.

ERSCA congrats!! What a relief :)

This is good news for us, that they are insanely slow this year, lol! Let's keep our spirits up, I have hope...until the end of the week.

Best of luck everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, ERSCA!

To tranc: Yes, the status was changed from " under review" to " invited to interview" once I received the email.
However I am pretty sure there are interview emails yet to be sent out!

As everyone said already, good luck to all of us!!!!!

No response yet either. I called 1:40 EST. Interview invitations are still being sent out but he didn't know when the last ones would be sent out. He said it all depends on who's reviewing our applications and if they put in a recommendation for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for calling coconut81, I appreciate the update.

The wait is killing me! Congratulations to those of you who have gotten the interview invitation. Everyone else, try to stay positive as there's still a chance! I must admit I'm especially nervous because I'm expecting a baby around the first of November. I have a very limited time frame to work with even if the interview period is extended due to this year's unexpected delays.

Congratulations!
I just received the invitation email. :) Hope everybody hears back in the next couple hours too!! I do not wish this suspense on anyone!!

So ya'll may not find this exciting but the news this morning indicated "disease detectives" were on their way to Dallas to help with the Ebola contact trace. It totally renewed my excitement about the wait. Good Luck everyone!

The wait is killing me! Congratulations to those of you who have gotten the interview invitation. Everyone else, try to stay positive as there's still a chance! I must admit I'm especially nervous because I'm expecting a baby around the first of November. I have a very limited time frame to work with even if the interview period is extended due to this year's unexpected delays.
Congratulations on the pregnancy! It really is the most amazing thing you will do :) I have a 3 year old and we are trying to plan Baby#2 around this program, arg!

I emailed yesterday regarding the difference between notifications of an interview and not interviewing, here was the reply:

"If you are invited to interview you will receive an email with details on the interview process. If you do not receive an interview, you will be notified via an alert on you application webpage."

Let the waiting game continue...

Congratulations on the pregnancy! It really is the most amazing thing you will do :) I have a 3 year old and we are trying to plan Baby#2 around this program, arg!

Bureau for "EIS babies"! Congrats RFH! We have 3 young kiddos...they're exhausting and worth every bit of challenge. I hope you're able to interview early in October!

Thanks so much everyone! This will be our third (and last) child and we are thrilled... honestly a little nervous too since we'll officially be outnumbered. Your encouragement is so much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Despite what the outcome will be, I'm grateful for everyone's positivity and support! It's been really nice getting to know a little about each of you, and I hope we can all work together (as EISOs- hopefully!) one day! We will power through this uncertain time and I wish those who got/will get an interview the very best luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in Atlanta, so I'm just telling myself they are processing the "local" applications last because we won't have to travel far for interviews ;)

Congratulations, RFH, I hope things go smoothly for you! I would like to second tranc's statement- thanks for the encouragement, everyone! And Angie- I am in Atlanta, too, and I had the same thought. Still waiting, fingers crossed...

Hello all, though this is my first post I have been reading this group post for almost more than a month. Thanks for all the info regarding the program and the updates on the interview, it was super helpful. Being an international candidate, I understand that my chances are slim, but the positivity and the vibe seen here makes me not to loose hope. Congrats to all who have been invited for the interview and good luck to the rest of us, hope we all be called !!!

Well, it's Friday, two weeks before the first interview day. I know there have been 3 people who have received interview emails and the rest of us (10?) are waiting...keep our fingers crossed and hope that whoever has our pile of applications has finally turned them in for a response. Otherwise, who wants to call today and explain to them that this wait is torture?!

Have not heard, either. I had not realized it was just two weeks until they started, where has the time gone!? I guess that lowers my hopes of an interview. That is pretty tight for scheduling. I will just go with the old "no news is no news" and try to be positive. However, the 23% interview rate might be about right. In order to decrease cost and time maybe they are not interviewing as many this year- maybe the screening criteria for interviews is more rigorous this year. There have possibly been lots of lurkers on the board, and they may not want to make us feel bad if they have received interviews. So, there may be some bias there. I do hope, of course, that we all receive good news soon.

Have not heard, either. I had not realized it was just two weeks until they started, where has the time gone!? I guess that lowers my hopes of an interview. That is pretty tight for scheduling. I will just go with the old "no news is no news" and try to be positive. However, the 23% interview rate might be about right. In order to decrease cost and time maybe they are not interviewing as many this year- maybe the screening criteria for interviews is more rigorous this year. There have possibly been lots of lurkers on the board, and they may not want to make us feel bad if they have received interviews. So, there may be some bias there. I do hope, of course, that we all receive good news soon.
I just can't believe no one has received a 'rejection' notice...are they waiting until they are done organizing interviews, and then it's obvious we didn't get an invitation by then? It still says my application hasn't been reviewed. Has it not been reviewed or has it put in a pile for later notification of 'thanks for applying'? I wish I understood the process more. This is my second year applying and last year I went through the interview, everything was so smooth but I don't understand the application process any more than I did last year. It's frustrating.

Well, it's Friday, two weeks before the first interview day. I know there have been 3 people who have received interview emails and the rest of us (10?) are waiting...keep our fingers crossed and hope that whoever has our pile of applications has finally turned them in for a response. Otherwise, who wants to call today and explain to them that this wait is torture?!
I went through and added up names, it looks like 3 of 15 have received an interview email (20%). The rest of us have not received anything. Yes, I'm obsessing :)

Last edited:
Hi all, I've been lurking here, reading but never posting. Figured for the sake of statistical accuracy I should speak up :p. I also haven't received an interview notification. The last time I called they just told me "You'll hear when you hear. Or not." I have a friend who's been involved in it and she said invites would go out all this month. So maybe not time to give up hope yet?

Hi all, I've been lurking here, reading but never posting. Figured for the sake of statistical accuracy I should speak up :p. I also haven't received an interview notification. The last time I called they just told me "You'll hear when you hear. Or not." I have a friend who's been involved in it and she said invites would go out all this month. So maybe not time to give up hope yet?
This month as in September?

Hi everyone. I haven't heard anything yet neither, and my application says they are still reviewing it. Last Friday I called and they mentioned that they had reviewed about half of the applications...500... that about the same number was left to review... they didn't have a specific date for when they expected to have all the invitations to interview sent and they said that many reviewers were not done with the process. So, I still have hope... :)

Reactions: 2 users
This month as in September?
I was told they should all be done by the end of September, but I was giving them through this week because of all the Ebola and enterovirus events. Perhaps the surge in Ebola work has pulled reviewers away even more...

September has gone and October has begun, and if it is the recent Ebola event delaying the reviewing process, I am happy !!! But still fingers crossed !!!

Second time poster; I received an invitation for interview on Sept. 30. I also applied last year and got an interview but ultimately was placed on the wait list. I have a friend who has not heard back either and I am hopeful everyone will get a positive response soon!

Thanks for more updates and info! OK, I was kind of a downer earlier. Y'all helped make me feel more positive. Thanks!

Hi all, is there any updates, any call for interview ?? So far I have not received any call nor a rejection.

I have not heard anything still, and the application is still listed as in review. However, I was really encouraged by aitana (that they are going so slow on the reviews), and fyrebyrd3 (that they will be sending invitations all month). I have become a little more relaxed about the whole thing...

They just had a story on EIS on NPR! (Marketplace Morning Report). :) I was so excited! Totally want to be a part of it all! I would not mind being called a "passionate, geeky, problem solver"

Here is the link:
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/health-care/inside-work-ebola-disease-detectives

Here is part of the report:

-- quoted text ---
With the Ebola outbreak growing, these so-called "disease detectives" are taking on an increasingly important role.

Let’s be honest, there’s something a little nuts about being in the Epidemic Intelligence Service—a job where you could get plopped into a communicable disease hotspot with little warning.

“What’s the type of person who wants to walk into an Ebola outbreak instead of walk away from it,” says Jennifer Hunter.

Hunter is one of the two EIS officers in Dallas who is keeping tabs on the several dozen people who came into contact with the Ebola patient, Thomas Duncan.

“I think there is nothing more you can do to help be part of something as large as this is and as important,” she says.

EIS alum Tracy Creek describes most EIS folks as “passionate, geeky, problem solvers” dedicated to public service. Every year, the CDC hires 70 to 80 people to spend two years tackling everything from smoking cessation to H1N1 outbreaks.
----

Last edited:
Hi Artemis6 thanks for the link and the updates. That is exactly why I wanted to be a part of the EIS, for the work they do in situation like this !!!

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if there's a backlog on folk in the infectious disease specialty because the folk who are supposed to review those apps are understandably busy right now... Of the people who have received interview invites, are any of you guys ID folks?

Hi everyone! First time poster here. Thank you everyone for posting such useful information! I have an ID background and received my invite on 9/25.

Heya! This thread has been really helpful with all the support and information! I have an ID background and received my invite on 9/30.

I'm also an ID person who got an invite, but not until 09/30. It seems they still have a lot of applications to go through (500?!), I would think many more invites will be on their way.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for starting this thread- really helpful in knowing all others that are in this situation- beauty of social support!

I haven't heard anything on my application yet but was wondering if people who have received their interview invites are the ones that applied a bit earlier in the process. In that case, I might be get my invite a bit later.
If you have received an invite, could you also let us know the date your application was considered complete?

Thanks.

Still no word, I'm an infectious disease/ public health/ environmental microbiologist. My last letter was entered on Aug 19th, thus completed my application. I live in Atlanta. So, the options are (1) Infectious disease people are busy with Ebola/ enterovirus and have no time to review, (2) holding Atlanta apps last, (3) my application was completed later, or (4) I'm rejected but they are waiting until they are done to send out a MASSIVE amount of rejections all at once, lol!.

Best of luck everyone...I have really accepted/ moved on with my life, I mean really, the interviews start next Friday...maybe next year will be the charm (third time).

No one has admitted to a "reject" alert, so that makes me think they are saving this "reject" alert until all interview invites have been sent...

Last edited:
Greetings all. Found this thread a few days ago and have been lurking since. No invitation or rejection letter yet. Figure I'd add my info for all the other speculators out there.

ID focus.
Submitted application relatively late in the cycle.
Not Atlanta based.
First time applicant.

Thanks for all of your contributions to this thread. Best of luck wherever your path may lead.