EIS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also not Atlanta based here.

For people who have applied multiple times, does it seem worth it to apply a second time if you don't get an interview the first time around? Has anyone done this/know anyone who has?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone who has interviewed before have any insights on the types of questions they ask during the interviews?

Last edited:
I received an interview invite late last week, it must have taken a long time to get through because I got the email Saturday morning! Does anyone who has interviewed before have any insights on the types of questions they ask during the interviews?

That's a little encouraging ... you're one of the first I've heard who actually received an invite in October.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was technically "completed" on 8/25. I'm not Atlanta based. I spoke with former EIS fellows and they basically said the interviewers are looking for the following:

1. Why you’re interested in EIS? What skills do you want to gain in EIS?
2. How it fits into your future career goals? Where do see yourself working in the future?
3. What are you interested in doing during EIS? How open are you to different assignments?
4. Are you interested in (and have some understanding) of what applied epidemiology is.

hi all,
i thought all the application materials, including references, had to be received at cdc by 8/15 this year? i could be wrong about the references though.

hi all,
i thought all the application materials, including references, had to be received at cdc by 8/15 this year? i could be wrong about the references though.
The application portion needs to be received by 8/15.
Supporting material submitted electronically must be received by 8/15.
Mailed supporting material must be post-marked by 8/15. So mailed recommendations, for example, received after 8/15 are fine as long as they are postmarked by 8/15.

I completed my application portion in late July and all of my supporting material including references were received before 8/15.

Last edited:
Do you think the non-Atlanta based people get their invites earlier?

The anxiety is killing me.. I know I need to move on..

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry haven't checked in for awhile. Still reading, but to answer a couple questions that came up in recent posts:

Not ID...like even remotely.
Application was completed SUPER early! Recorded last letter July 11, but everything was actually submitted (including the letters but they weren't recorded in the system) end of June.

GIven that we were one of the very first to receive notification (Sept 26), maybe it does have to do with submission date?

Or maybe we were notified the 25th? Can't remember. It was a Thursday. From what you're saying, it doesn't sound like it's a time of application or ID thing. Have any Georgia (not even Atlanta, but still closeish) folks been invited? We're in North Carolina. I know from the Sencer Scholars last April, there were 9 applicants (Yale, Hopkins, UNC, Stanford, Buffalo, Harvard) and it seemed like everyone was notified the same time...but of course the scale was very different. So maybe for the interviews it could be location-based, but I kind of doubt it. I really think they're just horribly back-logged. It'll be interesting to see if they end up extending interviews and if that, in turn, delays notification. And we were so hoping for a make or break Christmas present/ruination!

So, does that make 6 of us, now? Denominator's growing, too, so not sure the percentage is getting better? Last year was a record 550ish completed apps...if they had 500 left at the beginning of the month, does that mean the total applicants this year was pushing 1000 or that they procrastinated reviews BIG TIME?

I know they are very busy, and if it is really double the applications on top of the Ebola outbreak and everything else, I completely understand the delay! I would, however, appreciate something from them giving us some kind of idea of what/when to expect. I don't feel like they owe it to me/us, but since the interviews start in one week, some kind of update would be thoughtful. It might also decrease the amount of phone calls and emails to their office from applicants asking questions one by one. Considering they have one email address and one phone number listed on the web site, that email box and voicemail must be nuts with all that is going on and with all the EIS stories in the news! It might be easy to put some kind of blurb on the website to update us!

Wishing you all a good weekend, and hopefully some news soon!

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that admitting a "rejection" would be hard but it would really send a sense of relief to some of us. My theory is that they are holding a pile for when they have time, to send the "alerts" out that we were not invited. No news is bad news theory...

Anyone, anyone receive a rejection?

Hi guys. No, I havent heard anything else. I emailed them yesterday as I didnt want to call again, but I.havent heard anything back. At this point I dont know what else to think, I also need to move on!...I agree with you, I understand they are busy, but at this point an update would be much appreciated! Still have some hope, but for sure less than before...

Hi guys. No, I havent heard anything else. I emailed them yesterday as I didnt want to call again, but I.havent heard anything back. At this point I dont know what else to think, I also need to move on!...I agree with you, I understand they are busy, but at this point an update would be much appreciated! Still have some hope, but for sure less than before...
I also emailed them on Monday, as I didn't want to call again either. I have not received a response. Sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree they should at least send us the rejections so we don't have to wait. I actually do think they kind of "owe" it to us to let us know as soon as possible. It's just basic human decency. And those applications were pretty time consuming!

I also emailed them on Monday, as I didn't want to call again either. I have not received a response. Sigh.

My experience applying this year has been I never got a response when I emailed them questions. I only got answers when I called them. For example, I emailed several times asking if they had received my letters of recommendation since I knew they were sent but it was not reflected on my status page as being received and it was after the deadline of August 15th. After several emails over a couple weeks, I was finally able to get someone on the phone and they corrected the status of my letters of recommendations in an instant.

Confirming my interview date was the complete opposite. I got a confirmation of my interview within 5 minutes of emailing them my top 3 dates I wanted to interview.

Hopefully everyone hears something either way since it is the wait that is the worse.....

I totally agree the wait is really killing. Hope this wait ends in some good news by weekend atleast.

Hey everybody! thanks for creating this thread. Other than for these forums and what limited information is posted on the CDC website, there really isn't much guidance I can find about what makes a candidate competitive. From a MD standpoint, does any one have any tips? We know about the need for "killer recommendations" and an "interesting personal statement". I'm sure publications can't hurt, but what about experiences? For those who plan to go from residency into the EIS fellowship, what type of experiences did you have before applying that you are highlighting in your application?

You know, I have thought about it and I agree with y'all now that I realize that on Wednesday it will be two months since the applications were due. That is quite a wait! They really do need to tell us what is going on. It does appear that they are holding the applications that have been rejected, because no one has reported a rejection notice. Like all of you, I have responsibilities that I will have to adjust to make it to an interview. And I don't even have to travel, being in Atlanta!

I do tend to think that no news is bad news. However, it sounds like they may still have applications to review, but who really knows!?

Hope this week brings good news for us all.

Last edited:
For someone who is outside US like me, I think it will be very difficult even if I get a call for interview (I think that is too optimistic, even though my chance is less than 10%) to make it up !!! At least any kind of news rather than a no news would be really helpful for me to plan my other works.

I gave up and called them today and the curt reply was - the applications are still under review just like website says!

I gave up and called them today and the curt reply was - the applications are still under review just like website says!

Thank you, Int.EIS, for calling and reporting to us! I was about to call, but with your information I will wait a little bit. There is still hope, little, but still hope! :) (but I agree with all of you, a little bit of info or updates from them wouldn't hurt!)

Hi all! Don't lose hope yet! There is so much going on right now - and I am sure they are doing they best they can. Imagine how difficult being on the front lines right now - it hasn't been this chaotic since the pandemic!

What CFV said. Except I'm a PhD microbiologist just finishing MPH at Hopkins. Also, I'm 58. Anybody have any knowledge about elderly applicants like me?

One of my referrals was from my physician. I saw him yesterday and he was really anxious that I hadn't heard.

Good luck everyone.

It is nerve wracking!!!! Especially as I am also from outside the US and I start to wonder whether it will still be possible to book a flight and get a visa in time in case I am invited for an interview...
Good to know somebody called them, because I was about to do the same, but now I will wait just a bit more. My page still shows "under review"... pff, fingers crossed. Best of luck for all of you waiting!

Checking in. No news either way. Want to thank all those continuing to provide updates.

HI all: I have been told by several people that we should know by the end of next week for interviews. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks, tranc! Good luck to you! (and everyone!)

Last edited:
HI all: I have been told by several people that we should know by the end of next week for interviews. Good luck!
Thank you, tranc! Good luck to all of us! ;)

I hope everyone get to hear good news by the end of this week! and as the first interview start this Friday, good luck to those who get to interview soon and please share your interview experience here!

Good luck to all those who are going to interview from tomorrow onwards !!! And hope the rest of us will hear the good news by the weekend, good luck to all of us !!!!

Hello Everyone
My first post here and i appreciate everyone's input and information, i guess when its a common problem its not a problem...in terms of the wait.
I just called EIS and the person had already left for the day and i will get to hear about it on Monday. I am a Foreign Trained Physician having worked in a few countries and finally decided to be PA in the United States........
I have applied too based on my previous experiences and cross cultural and multinational experience. Lets see what comes of it. I am hopeful but apprehensive at the same time.
I wish you all the luck and long live Public Health which seems to be getting lost in today's tech age...

I just got my invite to interview!! Hoping that good news is coming for everyone else soon!!!

I just got my invite to interview!! Hoping that good news is coming for everyone else soon!!!

On a Sunday WOW !!! Amazing. Good Luck. Did the status page change for you.....Just Wondering.

Yes it did. It was updated as soon as I checked it (about an hour after the email came through).

Yes it did. It was updated as soon as I checked it (about an hour after the email came through).
It was not updated on friday when I checked it though... so I'm not sure how it all got through on a sunday.

congratulations, fyrebyrd! Wow, I wonder if committees are meeting over the weekend since there is no other time to do it?!

Everything has slowed down.......Yes or No please let us know.....so we can salvage something out of it.

Congrats fyrebyrd3, well that's some good news which makes us believe that we can still expect an invite for interview !!!

Update ....especially for ones who did not get a call yet. I just called EIS and they said they have a meeting at 12.00 pm today and they should be releasing the names soon.
Good Luck everyone.

Hi everyone! Like Fyrebyrd3, I also received an invite this Sunday. Good luck and hope you all get the same news!

Congrats to Fyrebyrd3 and tranc!!!! I'm so glad to hear that more good news is going out! I look forward to reports from folks as interviews happen. But at this point, I'm more anxious to hear lots more acceptance posts for everyone!

Congrats to Fyrebyrd3 and tranc!!!! I'm so glad to hear that more good news is going out! I look forward to reports from folks as interviews happen. But at this point, I'm more anxious to hear lots more acceptance posts for everyone!
Did your husband interview?

Yes, he did on Friday. It seems like they front-loaded everyone they could into the first couple days to leave places for those of you notified later. Friday was his first choice, but he talked to at least one other interviewer who said it was her 3rd choice.

I'm working on pulling together a summary of the things he found out, but what's been said in previous posts about the types of things they ask (like, what can EIS do for you, etc) is pretty spot on. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have a big post with information on what to expect in general.

Yes, he did on Friday. It seems like they front-loaded everyone they could into the first couple days to leave places for those of you notified later. Friday was his first choice, but he talked to at least one other interviewer who said it was her 3rd choice.

I'm working on pulling together a summary of the things he found out, but what's been said in previous posts about the types of things they ask (like, what can EIS do for you, etc) is pretty spot on. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have a big post with information on what to expect in general.
With all Humility ...Thank You , even if i don't make it.

Ok, so let me try to summarize my husband's experience to sort of paint a picture for you...though, of course, depending on who you interview with, much of your experience will be different.

First, though, I want to give a few details about the ebola situation that they mentioned. There were 2 current officers in the waiting room (a conference room for times between interviews and where you first gather in the morning) who were really informal and able to answer a lot of general questions about the program. It seemed like officers who are able are taking half-day blocks at the interviews to kind of host interviewers. A couple of them had already been over to Africa, one was leaving that evening. They're doing 4 week details and quite a few officers are actually in neighboring countries--particularly those who have language skills like French. They also said that if you're in next year, at this point you can absolutely expect to spend a month in Africa. And basically when you're on detail, it's 7 days a week, 16 hour days. In fact, they said that even some of the people who are manning the...ooh, forget the name, but the office in Atlanta where they're putting together support materials and coordinating all the different details (so, it's on a priority level system--Polio has been Level 1 for over a decade, Ebola is currently a 10 or something) are pulling 16 hour days just doing things like booking flights, making copies, and developing powerpoints for physician education over there.

At least a couple of interviewers specifically asked if he was willing to go to Africa. And, actually, if I was supportive even though he may be over there at risk for many weeks at a time. (For the record, I am supportive, but I keep teasing him that I'm taking another life insurance policy out on him =) They did say, though that only 1 EIS officer has ever died on duty and he was in a plane crash, so it wasn't that he caught something and died.)

So, Africa is very much on everyone's mind. Several of the people who would normally be there interviewing, and even the person that usually gives the opening remarks each day, are overseas. Got the impression that we can absolutely attribute all this delay with the applications to Ebola because it appears that pretty much every EIS alumni still with CDC has either been over there or is going. One person who interviewed him and who is the head of a branch is going over in December because she doesn't have small children and wanted the younger people to be home for Christmas. I thought that was really really thoughtful. It sure seems like everyone who is involved in EIS has a deep commitment to service. For all the media coverage that makes Frieden look like a political tool, and by extension the EIS, we came away feeling strongly that the boots on the ground in the CDC are bending over backwards to do the right thing and help as many people in as many countries as possible.

Wow, this is gonna be a book. Sorry, I'm not a brief writer...I've gotta switch computers, so I'll post this and then keep writing. Hope that won't be too annoying.

Congrats to everyone getting interviews! I am curious, did they add more interview dates or is November 7 still the last date? I am interviewing on the 3rd so I bet there will be lots of interviews that day. =)

Hi everyone! Like Fyrebyrd3, I also received an invite this Sunday. Good luck and hope you all get the same news!
Hi tranc, have they let you know which day they'd like you to come? I responded but no word yet. Since the first date I put is next monday I'd really like to book a flight sometime soon!

Any word for anybody else?

Thanks for all the info here guys; it's been really great!

Hi tranc, have they let you know which day they'd like you to come? I responded but no word yet. Since the first date I put is next monday I'd really like to book a flight sometime soon!

Any word for anybody else?

Thanks for all the info here guys; it's been really great!
Wow, that is so last minute. I hope flights don't cost you an arm and a leg.