Fil-Ams, Medical School, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldyxswtnes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, after perusing through all the different forums and threads here, I decided to make one for Fil-Ams or Foreigners that are considering applying to the Philippines for medical school.

I am thinking of applying to UERM and UST and possibly St. Luke's. Anyone else out there in the same boat as me?

Have you turned in your applications yet (are they even OUT yet)? I checked websites, but none seem to be updated yet. I have just called and emailed Godfrey Vergara to take the NMAT in Los Angeles in November.

I'm just lookin for a couple peeps who are going through this same application process. I know there are at least some of you out there! Let's give each other feedback for this Philippine med school application process!

:luck::):rolleyes::p:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yea, and if you are a current Fil-Am med student in the PI or have graduated and are now in residency here in the USA or are a med student in the Philippines in general and you would like to share your tips and experiences about NMAT, first day of classes, classes and classmates in general, PLEASE POST AS WELL! :thumbup:

I've read some really inspiring stories from the previous threads (DocTan = inspiration!), as well as considered some of the good and bad points of med school sa Pilipinas. I really would appreciate any type of feedback!

Anything helps :D

Yea I'm in the same boat. I'm graduating with my BS Bio this winter. I just got in touch with Mr. Vergara recently. I'm taking the NMAT on 10/27 in Chicago.

I'm planning on applying to UST and St. Lukes and a few others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I'm on the same boat as well. I've been attempting to reach the appropriate personnels at the different schools I'm thinking of applying to but have been unsuccessful, too.

I'm not quite sure I'll be able to write the NMAT exam this year -- which is a total bummer really, since my reviewer hasn't made it's way to where I am. How about everyone? Are you using the NMAT reviewer as a study guide?

Yea I'm in the same boat. I'm graduating with my BS Bio this winter. I just got in touch with Mr. Vergara recently. I'm taking the NMAT on 10/27 in Chicago.

I'm planning on applying to UST and St. Lukes and a few others.

Hey! Finally.. another response on here! I was beginning to think I was the only one, but I KNOW for sure that I'm not bc there is quite a number of Fil-Ams or foreigners (Fil-Aussies, Fil-Canadians, etc) out there doing the same thing we're doing.

You should also consider applying to UERM. I've spoken with a few Fil-Ams from there, and they seem to do well. I'm applying to UERM, UST, and St. Luke's, maybe others, but I want to visit each school to check out the facilities.

How are you studying for your NMAT? Is there a cut-off score for Fil-Ams.. I hear a bunch of different ones from 50 to 90, or so... Do you know?

Hi there! I'm on the same boat as well. I've been attempting to reach the appropriate personnels at the different schools I'm thinking of applying to but have been unsuccessful, too.

I'm not quite sure I'll be able to write the NMAT exam this year -- which is a total bummer really, since my reviewer hasn't made it's way to where I am. How about everyone? Are you using the NMAT reviewer as a study guide?

Hi, MsPinKy!

I, too, have been trying to get in touch with the admissions people from the schools I want to apply to, but it seems so hard. They are not as easily accessible as I'd hoped. I figure I'd buy a couple of $5 phone cards and directly call them to get more info about their application. One Fil-Am here from my undergrad institution (Univ. of Florida) said she already submitted her UST application, and I have no idea how she got a hold of it in the first place, unless she personally knows someone at the school (I'm still waiting for her email response).

As for the NMAT, I'm using my MCAT study materials to study for the sciences part. The rest of the stuff, I'm just going to practice using the practice test that comes with the registration materials. Should be good enough. What about you?

I haven't applied to any schools yet.

My first choice is St Lukes at the moment. I've heard nothing but good things about the school. I'd like to the quickest route but also want a quality education so that 5th year might be worth it. There are a lot of Fil-Ams there too.

Fatima is second since I want to do my 4th year in the US and they are very Fil-Am friendly, however the most expensive at $20k USD for the first two years, and $32k for the 3rd and 4th, on top of the $10k donation?! I've also heard that they're more of a "pay you pass" kind of school for foreigners.

UE, FEU, and UST are on my list too, but UST's requirements are a lot stricter than the other schools and their curriculum is killer and don't know if I will make it in.

I was planning on applying after I've taken the NMAT and know my score. Hopefully I'll be able to check out the schools beforehand too but it's expensive for me to make more than the necessary trips.

From what I've seen, all the schools have their own websites and a number to call to speak with an Admissions person. UST lists their requirements and has a download application form.

I'm using an NMAT reviewer book by MSA. My mom picked it up for me when she was in the Philippines this past month. There is some basic biology (botany, genetics, lots of physiology, micro, evolution), chemistry (mostly general, some organic, a little biochem and nuclear), physics, social science (pysch, philo), some IQ type stuff (mirror images, patterns, shape differences), data interpretation (reading graphs), and verbal (analogies, reading comprehension). I think studying the MCAT books and looking over the practice tests will be fine.

UST is listing at least a 65 on the NMAT and St Lukes lists an 85. UE a 55

http://www.feu-nrmf.ph/adm_med.html
http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=46
http://stlukesmedcollege.edu.ph/Default/Admissions/Application_Process
http://www.uerm.ph/?fid=
http://www.fatima-med.org/index.html

Has anyone recieved a packet yet from Mr. Vergara?

Hey ldyxswtnes :)

I was speaking with a friend of mine yesterday afternoon after posting on this site and told her about how difficult it was to get in touch with the admins. Like you, she suggested that we directly call them for more infos. I guess, our best option right now is to call them and ask them revamp their website! :D

I'm a tad bit nervous about writing the NMAT since I didn't focus much on the sciences (e.g. chem and phys) during my undergrad years. And my MCAT reviewer -- well, it just becomes too overwhelming after some time.

When are you taking your NMAT?

Hi, MsPinKy!

I, too, have been trying to get in touch with the admissions people from the schools I want to apply to, but it seems so hard. They are not as easily accessible as I'd hoped. I figure I'd buy a couple of $5 phone cards and directly call them to get more info about their application. One Fil-Am here from my undergrad institution (Univ. of Florida) said she already submitted her UST application, and I have no idea how she got a hold of it in the first place, unless she personally knows someone at the school (I'm still waiting for her email response).

As for the NMAT, I'm using my MCAT study materials to study for the sciences part. The rest of the stuff, I'm just going to practice using the practice test that comes with the registration materials. Should be good enough. What about you?

Hey lumanogin :)

I'm considering applying to the same schools you're thinking of applying to also -- except for Fatima. :thumbup: My parents want me to consider UP as well.

I've been reading through different schools' academic requirements and I'm worried about them. I studied psych, bio ang languages. So really, there's not much of the sciences there and most of the schools require you to have a certain number of units for particular subjects such as chem, for example. I wonder if I'll still be eligible to apply even though I lack those courses.

Hey lumanogin :)

I'm considering applying to the same schools you're thinking of applying to also -- except for Fatima. :thumbup: My parents want me to consider UP as well.

I've been reading through different schools' academic requirements and I'm worried about them. I studied psych, bio ang languages. So really, there's not much of the sciences there and most of the schools require you to have a certain number of units for particular subjects such as chem, for example. I wonder if I'll still be eligible to apply even though I lack those courses.

UP is supposed to be the best there but I wouldn't be too hopeful unless you have some powerful connections (the dean, some government official) because it's a public school and they take 0-2 foreigners a year. A Fil-Am in the 99 percentile and a very good GPA and lots of extra curriculars didn't make it, but another one in the 90 percentile and a poor GPA with 4 F's made it in. Depends on who you know, and I don't know if they do the male/female bias ratio at UP, possibly.

I think that you should just go ahead and apply with ur bachelor's already after the NMAT. Since you're a fil-am, you're already $10k USD to them either way, as long as you have the degree and the NMAT and all the paperwork. It might vary for different schools, the stringency of the required courses. UST will probably be harsher on that end. I'd try to get as high of an NMAT score as possible. Get in touch with each school you're interested in and find out. If you're out of luck you could try for Fatima or go back and take those chem credits.

I would like to go for June 2008 but there's the possibility I'll have to go for 2009, as I don't have the funds to be in school for 4 years without steady income, and am shy one class towards my BS Bio and might have to wait for Spring 08 to take it. I'm still taking the NMAT this Oct 2007 though.

The material on the MCAT is WAYYYY beyond the scope of what's necessary for the NMAT.

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend's sister told me that she knows someone who just took the MCAT without taking the NMAT and was able to get into FEU four years ago. Most of the med school sites show NMAT requirement. I was just curious to find out if this still holds true?

Thanks, lumanogin, for the links! Just so you know, at UE, you can also do your 4th year rotations here in the US because they are directly affiliated with schools in NY and Chicago - lots of their Fil-Ams do it that I've talked to. Also, from my research of the diff PI med schools and asking people about them (on Valuemd.com, studentdoctor, people from Philippine-popular sites like multiply.com and friendster and people I personally know), I've heard a lot of negative things about Fatima - not sure if ALL are true, but I once considered applying there, but I don't know anymore.

Also about UST, yes, I hear that their curriculum is tough and you are in school the whole day 8-5 most days. In my personal opinion, since the PI med schools do not prepare you directly for the USMLE exams, what I'm doing is picking a school that I know for sure has gotten their Fil-ams a quality education that has allowed them to pass the USMLE (all 3 steps) and has gotten them residency slots here in the US. From the Fil-ams I have spoken with, this is done OUTSIDE of classroom time studying on your own OUTSIDE of what you're actually supposed to study for class. UST is a good school (my aunt went there, so i know this), so I'm not trying to bash. In fact, I plan on visiting there sometime soon bc who knows i might end up there.

BUT I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your goal is practice in the US, you will definitely NEED THE TIME during the day to study for the USMLE independently from what you study for classes bc that test is the deciding factor between you and a US residency slot. Schools like UE, FEU, and even Fatima have less stringent classroom time, but that time could be used more to study for the USMLE. I'm not even in med school yet, but I'm already developing a study plan for this darn test on top of what I need to study for classes. I've spent so many hours at Borders bookstore flipping through Med School Resource books and what exactly needs to be done for IMG's (international medical graduates) to obtain licensure here in the US, even though you are already a US citizen. There was one book I read that even mentioned UST and UE in their index of more well-reputable foreign med schools.

For Ms Pinky:

As far as UP-Manila is concerned, I did visit the campus. I know that the brightest minds in the country study there, and it is NOT easy to get in, ESPECIALLY if you are a foreign graduate (ie. like us from the USA). You have to know someone on the inside! I talked to someone that got 99 on his NMAT and didn't even get in.... and both his parents are doctors from the PI. It's worth a shot for it's cheaper tuition and excellent rep in the PI, but they really only take zero to 2 max foreigners a year (and that incl. peeps NOT just from the USA, but all over). Honestly, I don't even think a 32 MCAT score will get you in there without even knowing someone on the inside. It's worth a shot, though! I have a high GPA from Univ. of Florida, have a strong science background cuz my major was nutritional science/biochem, have 5 years worth of research experience (3 years of which have been my full-time job) because I graduated undergrad early..... but I still don't think I have a chance at UP, even if I did get a 99 on my NMAT.

Have any of you applied to US med schools and got in? Some people think it's crazy that I'm doing this when I could just stay here and continue with my med apps, but the truth is I think it'd be cool to go and study there and soak in the culture. I've been there 3 times last year, and I loved it. I guess it all depends on who you're with and where you stay. I have yet to visit UST and UE, but I am excited about going.

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend's sister told me that she knows someone who just took the MCAT without taking the NMAT and was able to get into FEU four years ago. Most of the med school sites show NMAT requirement. I was just curious to find out if this still holds true?

Yes, you can substitute your MCAT score for the NMAT. I think this is true for UE, FEU, and maybe UST? and also the provincial med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
The material on the MCAT is WAYYYY beyond the scope of what's necessary for the NMAT.

I'm taking my NMAT in November in Los Angeles. Did you get your materials from Godfrey Vergara yet?

So, MCAT material is way more than what you'd need to know for NMAT???? I have a really strong background in chemistry, biochem, and biology from undergrad... but the NMAT also tests psychology and sociology, right? I bought some thick reviewers for those bc I got nervous that I wouldn't know a darn thing about it (i only took general psychology in undergrad). Also, I took 10 credits worth of physics - hated that class but I'm using my Kaplan MCAT stuff to study for it, as well as review all the chemistries.

I'm currently preparing for my USMLE step 1, I did my clinical training in UK and US. Is there any live review course other than KAPLAN available in the philippines for USMLE? is there any one out there preparing for USMLE or doing residency in the US? I would like to hear your experience how to go through the process sending application to ERAS. Also I need help writing my personal statement. Any one who applied directly to the hospital without going through ERAS and lastly anyone who took HKMLE or Filipino practicing Doctor in Hong Kong? Thank you

I'm taking my NMAT in November in Los Angeles. Did you get your materials from Godfrey Vergara yet?

So, MCAT material is way more than what you'd need to know for NMAT???? I have a really strong background in chemistry, biochem, and biology from undergrad... but the NMAT also tests psychology and sociology, right? I bought some thick reviewers for those bc I got nervous that I wouldn't know a darn thing about it (i only took general psychology in undergrad). Also, I took 10 credits worth of physics - hated that class but I'm using my Kaplan MCAT stuff to study for it, as well as review all the chemistries.

No I still haven't gotten anything back from Mr. Vergara yet. have you?

Yes, you can substitute your MCAT score for the NMAT. I think this is true for UE, FEU, and maybe UST? and also the provincial med schools.

i think UST is strict about NMAT as 1 of their requirements.

CHED lets medical schools pretty much do as they please. It only insists that incoming med students meet two requirments, (1) that they have completed an undergraduate course, and (2) that they take the NMAT. So, take people's advice about the MCAT with a grain of salt. If a school is changing the rules and getting away with it...ok, but that doesn't mean it's legal. Just don't tell CHED that you didn't take the NMAT.

I'm currently preparing for my USMLE step 1, I did my clinical training in UK and US. Is there any live review course other than KAPLAN available in the philippines for USMLE? is there any one out there preparing for USMLE or doing residency in the US? I would like to hear your experience how to go through the process sending application to ERAS. Also I need help writing my personal statement. Any one who applied directly to the hospital without going through ERAS and lastly anyone who took HKMLE or Filipino practicing Doctor in Hong Kong? Thank you

i am interested in knowing as well.

CHED lets medical schools pretty much do as they please. It only insists that incoming med students meet two requirments, (1) that they have completed an undergraduate course, and (2) that they take the NMAT. So, take people's advice about the MCAT with a grain of salt. If a school is changing the rules and getting away with it...ok, but that doesn't mean it's legal. Just don't tell CHED that you didn't take the NMAT.

that's why i am still taking the NMAT, regardless. thanks for the advice, Saipan :)

i think UST is strict about NMAT as 1 of their requirements.

Ironic, because the people that told me about them NOT having to take the NMAT because they took their MCAT instead.... these people go to UST. I kid you not! I know at least 2 people that have done this because they told me so and then they asked me why am I still gonna take the NMAT? I told them I am still taking my NMAT, regardless, because the NMAT score is what is needed as stated on the PI med schools' website for applicants, at least the ones I read up on.....

Peace, everyone! :luck: :) :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone! I am a Fil-Am planning to apply to UERM for the 2008 school year! I have already gotten my registration materials from Mr. Vergara and have been starting to study for the exam using an MCAT review book. The MCAT is a lot harder than the NMAT from what I heard from my friend who already took the exam and went to FEU about 4 years ago. He's done now and is studying for his USMLE's here in the U.S. From his experience, he told me that it's pretty tough over there and very competitive when applying for residency programs because most programs give priority to U.S. Medical School grads. So, his advice is get good grades, excellent recommendations, and high USMLE scores!

As for information about UERM, it's a very good school! My dad is an alumni from there. He did his residency at the State University of New York in Internal Medicine and is now currently practicing in the Los Angeles area. His advice to me when applying for residency here in the U.S. is basically apply to as many programs as you can and get good grades and high scores. Most of his former classmates at UERM are the heads of the depts and part of the administration now, so I try to get as much information from them as possible. Even Mr. Vergara is a close friend of my parents, so if there is anything I can help you guys out with, let me know and I'll do my best.

Goodluck to everyone! Hope to see some of you at UERM for the 2008 school year!

Hi Everyone! I am a Fil-Am planning to apply to UERM for the 2008 school year! I have already gotten my registration materials from Mr. Vergara and have been starting to study for the exam using an MCAT review book. The MCAT is a lot harder than the NMAT from what I heard from my friend who already took the exam and went to FEU about 4 years ago. He's done now and is studying for his USMLE's here in the U.S. From his experience, he told me that it's pretty tough over there and very competitive when applying for residency programs because most programs give priority to U.S. Medical School grads. So, his advice is get good grades, excellent recommendations, and high USMLE scores!

As for information about UERM, it's a very good school! My dad is an alumni from there. He did his residency at the State University of New York in Internal Medicine and is now currently practicing in the Los Angeles area. His advice to me when applying for residency here in the U.S. is basically apply to as many programs as you can and get good grades and high scores. Most of his former classmates at UERM are the heads of the depts and part of the administration now, so I try to get as much information from them as possible. Even Mr. Vergara is a close friend of my parents, so if there is anything I can help you guys out with, let me know and I'll do my best.

OMG, Hey mcar9880!!!!! UERM is my top choice so far. I'm so GLAD to find someone here that's going THERE! Where are you going to take your NMAT? Los Angeles, I presume? That's where I'm taking mine, too! Maybe I'll see you there :)

Do you know if UERM already has their application out yet? Their website still has the old one from last year's app cycle, instead of 2008. Have you started the UE application?

From the Fil-ams I have spoken with, they all say such nice things about UERM, even a white dude emailed me about his experience there. My mom also graduated medical school in the Philippines and said UERM was a good place to go to school. She did residency at UCI and is now in private practice. Her advice to me was the same as your dad's advice: APPLY TO AS MANY PLACES FOR RESIDENCY AS YOU CAN, GET THE BEST GRADES YOU CAN, AND SCORE YOUR HIGHEST ON THE USMLE's! It worked for her and obv. your dad. It's NOT GONNA BE EASY, I know for sure, but it'll be worth it.

I'd really appreciate a reply to my questions above. Thank you :thumbup::):D:luck:

Hi Idyxswtnes!! It was nice hearing from you and to know that you're going through the same thing I am! Ok, to answer your questions, I am taking the NMAT in November in LA as well. So, I guess I will definitely see you there! =) As for the application to UERM, I have not applied yet. I know the deadline for applications is in December. My mom is currently in the Philippines right now, so I think I'm going to ask her to pick one up for me at the school directly if they already have it over there. I can try to get one for you as well and mail it to you if you want?

As for the school itself, UERM is a really good school. My cousin, who grew up in the Philippines, is a 2nd year med student there now. She has about 10 Fil-Am classmates and 1 White guy..haha. She really likes it there. Have you read the requirements for applying as a non-resident to UERM? Do you now what a personal history statement is? Is that just like a personal statement? My dad says it is, but I wanna make sure, cuz he doesn't remeber doing that when he was applying. As for the NMAt, the cutoff is 55, but I think if you score lower, they could probably make an exception. Where did you go for your undergrad and what was your major?

Well, it was great hearing from you! I guess we'll be classmates next year! I'm really excited to go already! I wish I could go now! haha. Well, take care! Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi Idyxswtnes!! It was nice hearing from you and to know that you're going through the same thing I am! Ok, to answer your questions, I am taking the NMAT in November in LA as well. So, I guess I will definitely see you there! =) As for the application to UERM, I have not applied yet. I know the deadline for applications is in December. My mom is currently in the Philippines right now, so I think I'm going to ask her to pick one up for me at the school directly if they already have it over there. I can try to get one for you as well and mail it to you if you want?

As for the school itself, UERM is a really good school. My cousin, who grew up in the Philippines, is a 2nd year med student there now. She has about 10 Fil-Am classmates and 1 White guy..haha. She really likes it there. Have you read the requirements for applying as a non-resident to UERM? Do you now what a personal history statement is? Is that just like a personal statement? My dad says it is, but I wanna make sure, cuz he doesn't remeber doing that when he was applying. As for the NMAt, the cutoff is 55, but I think if you score lower, they could probably make an exception. Where did you go for your undergrad and what was your major?

Well, it was great hearing from you! I guess we'll be classmates next year! I'm really excited to go already! I wish I could go now! haha. Well, take care! Hope to hear from you soon!

Hey maricar! i just PM'ed you right now! A personal history statement is pretty like a personal statement, from what I know! I went to the University of Florida for my undergrad (Go Gators!). Yes, i have already read the requirements for applying as a non-resident to UERM - it's such a process! But hopefully it will be well worth it. Read your PM! :)

Hi mcar9880. I am also a Fil-Am planning to take the NMAT in LA in Nov and just had a few questions for you:

1. What is the best way to study for the NMAT? I know that its way easier than the MCAT but I don't know the extent of detail I should study?

2. I don't know if you'd know but just in case you do: Is it easy to get the US clinical experience in NY or Chicago through UERMA or is there a separate application for that opportunity?

Please respond when you get a chance...and thanks in advance! Good luck studying :)

So, after perusing through all the different forums and threads here, I decided to make one for Fil-Ams or Foreigners that are considering applying to the Philippines for medical school.

I am thinking of applying to UERM and UST and possibly St. Luke's. Anyone else out there in the same boat as me?

Have you turned in your applications yet (are they even OUT yet)? I checked websites, but none seem to be updated yet. I have just called and emailed Godfrey Vergara to take the NMAT in Los Angeles in November.

I'm just lookin for a couple peeps who are going through this same application process. I know there are at least some of you out there! Let's give each other feedback for this Philippine med school application process!

Hey ldyxswtnes. I'm new to this forum but I, too, are considering applying to UERM. I think that's pretty much the only one I would apply to because of the US clinical experience...but if I don't get accepted, I'm going to have to wait the extra year for med school in the US and apply for 2009. I missed the app period this year because I'm taking the September MCAT :(

But anyways, I will also be at the NMAT in LA in November, so I will see you there! I don't know much about the Philippine application process for med school, so please update me as you acquire more info. I'm actually going to to the Philippines in October so I guess I can always ask in person since the websites aren't much help.

So, we're pretty much in the same boat :) Good luck studying!

Hi mcar9880. I am also a Fil-Am planning to take the NMAT in LA in Nov and just had a few questions for you:

1. What is the best way to study for the NMAT? I know that its way easier than the MCAT but I don't know the extent of detail I should study?

2. I don't know if you'd know but just in case you do: Is it easy to get the US clinical experience in NY or Chicago through UERMA or is there a separate application for that opportunity?

Please respond when you get a chance...and thanks in advance! Good luck studying :)

Hi there! Okay to answer your questions...

1. The best way to study is just to brush up on your basic sciences. The MCAT review books are really good for the bio, chem, and physics section. It has all the information you would need and a lot of stuff you don't need. I'm studying everything just because I've been out of school so long and I just want to brush up on everything before going to med school. You just need a 55 to get into UERM. But, if you score below that, you could probably talk to the school directly about making an exception. They're pretty lenient with stuff like that. But I'm sure you'll do fine.

2. I'm not sure about the clinical experience. My cousin, who attends UERM, said that the school is affiliated with hospitals in Chicago and New York and may be adding Texas soon. I believe there is a separate application for this once you get to your third year, but I'm not sure. Once you're in med school, they'll go into it in more detail.

I hope I was able to help you out with some of your questions! See you in LA in November! Goodluck studying! :)

yaaay, I am also taking the NMAT in Los Angeles! definitely looking at UST, but UERM is a top choice because from what I hear it is possible to do rotations in the U.S. Maybe we can help each other out or form some sort of the study group if you are from the LA area

Hi there! Okay to answer your questions...

1. The best way to study is just to brush up on your basic sciences. The MCAT review books are really good for the bio, chem, and physics section. It has all the information you would need and a lot of stuff you don't need. I'm studying everything just because I've been out of school so long and I just want to brush up on everything before going to med school. You just need a 55 to get into UERM. But, if you score below that, you could probably talk to the school directly about making an exception. They're pretty lenient with stuff like that. But I'm sure you'll do fine.

2. I'm not sure about the clinical experience. My cousin, who attends UERM, said that the school is affiliated with hospitals in Chicago and New York and may be adding Texas soon. I believe there is a separate application for this once you get to your third year, but I'm not sure. Once you're in med school, they'll go into it in more detail.

I hope I was able to help you out with some of your questions! See you in LA in November! Goodluck studying! :)

Thanks so much for the help with my questions! UERMA is also my first choice school and I'm glad to hear great things about the school through your posts. Hopefully we'll be classmates next year! It's really nice to know that there are other Fil-Ams going through the same process :)

How long have you been out of school? Its a good idea to brush up on everything...and the MCAT books really cover everything hehe! I guess I'll see you at the NMAT exam in November, so until then, good luck studying! Now if only Mr. Vergara would hurry up and send me that NMAT packet...haha

FYI...
don't overlook DLS-HSC...
yes.. it's not in metro manila and u won't have all the amenities but it's a good school too..which also allows u to do clerkship abroad. there isn't much info going about but it's a school to consider..less pollution, less people, less traffic.
there's also a good crowd of foreigners that really are tight and help whenever they can..MOA is an hour away, Sm is 15min, and ministop (like 7-11) is across the street.
lower foreign fee too.. 5000 USD i believe..
the school has some of the best doctors in the country teaching...

hi,

i was wondering how strict is uerm on gpa? do they weigh gpa or the nmat more? how many fil-am or foreign students do they accept? any info on how much their foreign fee is? thanks!

Hi Roxanne,

I don't think GPA really matters...strange but it guess its because they have a shortage of doctors right now...but their NMAT cut-off score is 55. I have no clue how many Fil-Ams they accept :confused:, but from my understanding, they have quite a few each year. From their website, it says that the foreign fee is $10,000 USD.:thumbdown:

If you need more information, here's the information sheet for non-residents: http://www.education.uerm.ph/index.php?fid=medicine-info01

Hope that helps! When are you planning on applying? Are you taking the NMAT in October/November? Best of luck to you.

-Melanie :)

is anyone planning to take the NMAT in Chicago on 10/27? I've received my packet from Mr. Vergara already and have been studying a little.

After doing more research, Fatima is out for me. More so for the expense involved over there but also the poor reputation and spoon-feeding.

St Lukes, UE, and UST are my three top choices, possibly FEU. I have one sem left for my BS bio. I just am working right now as a Pharm Tech to save the money but I'll probably have to wait until 2009 to start. Best of luck to all of you.

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've visited this forum. Hoping all is well and having a good review. :)

I want to find out how quick I'd be able to receive the NMAT materials from Mr. Vergara. Also, would anyone happen to know if 2008 NMAT test dates are have already been released?

Thanks!

:)

I think it's better if you call the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery in UST. I don't have any idea bout the MCAT and NMAT thing but i strongly recommend UST for you. It's the best institution here i guess.

Well goodluck

Hey ldyxswtnes. I'm new to this forum but I, too, are considering applying to UERM. I think that's pretty much the only one I would apply to because of the US clinical experience...but if I don't get accepted, I'm going to have to wait the extra year for med school in the US and apply for 2009. I missed the app period this year because I'm taking the September MCAT :(

But anyways, I will also be at the NMAT in LA in November, so I will see you there! I don't know much about the Philippine application process for med school, so please update me as you acquire more info. I'm actually going to to the Philippines in October so I guess I can always ask in person since the websites aren't much help.

So, we're pretty much in the same boat :) Good luck studying!

Hey there, melbruinMD! Wow, studying for your September MCAT will definitely be great prep for your November NMAT! Mcar9880 and I are both taking are NMATs in LOS ANGELES in November, too, so hope to see you there :)

I'm so glad people are utilizing this forum. When i started the thread, I was hoping for like one or two adequate responses, but this is great! Tell me how your Philippines trip in October goes. Do you plan on visiting any of the schools? Oh my gosh, I've done SO much effin research on Philippine med schools, it's crazy. Like i searched for people on multiply.com, friendster (seemingly popular in the PI), myspace, studentdoctor.net, and valuemd.com. Lots of people have mentioned UERM to me and i've learned that they do have a good handful of fil-ams that go there every year, so we wouldn't be alone at all. Also, I know of a few that are already doing their US rotations, so that is definitely a plus to know that it is possible and easier, considering the school is directly affiliated with the schools in chicago and new york.

I agree that the websites don't seem to help at all, and, unlike here in the U.S. where email responses to businesses/schools are pretty prompt, I still haven't heard a single thing from any of the schools through email. I'm thinking about calling them directly using a phone card so that some of my questions can get answered ASAP.

welcome! hope to hear from you again soon here. update us with anything new :)

yaaay, I am also taking the NMAT in Los Angeles! definitely looking at UST, but UERM is a top choice because from what I hear it is possible to do rotations in the U.S. Maybe we can help each other out or form some sort of the study group if you are from the LA area

Hi, browndeo! Yay, so glad Fil-Ams can get together here and share what they know or ask questions.. whatev, we're all on the same boat! Like i was telling melbruinMD, when I started this thread, I was honestly just hoping for like one or two adequate responses, but this is great! I hear UST and UERM are both great schools... different in their own ways, but the same main concept: to thoroughly teach medicine! I'm also looking into UST, but UERM is my top choice due to the US rotations during 4th year.

So, you're taking your NMAT in LA in November? I am too.. flying all the way over there from Florida!! So then so far... that makes me (I'm Kat, by the way), mcar9880, melbruinMD, and YOU. awesome!

Thanks so much for the help with my questions! UERMA is also my first choice school and I'm glad to hear great things about the school through your posts. Hopefully we'll be classmates next year! It's really nice to know that there are other Fil-Ams going through the same process :)

How long have you been out of school? Its a good idea to brush up on everything...and the MCAT books really cover everything hehe! I guess I'll see you at the NMAT exam in November, so until then, good luck studying! Now if only Mr. Vergara would hurry up and send me that NMAT packet...haha

Isn't mcar9880 awesome? She's also helped me with some of my questions, so thanks Maricar! Just to add to this, I've also heard some good things from UERM from both the local students there and the Fil-Ams that attend the school itself. It is definitely my top choice in the PI. Maybe we'll all be classmates next year... and i agree.. it is definitely good to know that there are other Fil-Ams in the same boat as far as all this goes!

I also haven't gotten my NMAT packet, either. I still have to send him the check first, but I hope it doesn't take too, too long for the NMAT materials to arrive!

-Kat :):luck::rolleyes::thumbup:

hi,

i was wondering how strict is uerm on gpa? do they weigh gpa or the nmat more? how many fil-am or foreign students do they accept? any info on how much their foreign fee is? thanks!

Hi Roxanne! Hmmmm, based on the Fil-Ams that I've talked to that currently go to UERM, I do NOT think that GPA is that much of a heavily weighted factor. The NMAT cut-off for UERM is 55, but I seriously know someone who told me he got a 30 and got in. I'm still studying really hard for my NMAT though because even though I have a good undergrad GPA from college, I don't want to underestimate the NMAT. Plus, it'll be interesting to see how well you could really do on it if you study super hard, like studying for the MCAT. I do not believe there is a cap on the amount of foreign students they accept, either, but I'm not 100% sure on this. Their foreign fee is $10,000.00 U.S. dollars (which is approximately PhP 500,000.00 depending on the current exchange rate, which I think is lower now).

FYI...
don't overlook DLS-HSC...
yes.. it's not in metro manila and u won't have all the amenities but it's a good school too..which also allows u to do clerkship abroad. there isn't much info going about but it's a school to consider..less pollution, less people, less traffic.
there's also a good crowd of foreigners that really are tight and help whenever they can..MOA is an hour away, Sm is 15min, and ministop (like 7-11) is across the street.
lower foreign fee too.. 5000 USD i believe..
the school has some of the best doctors in the country teaching...

Hey, aspiring doctor! Totally diggin that userID. Seems like we all are aspiring doctors right now trying to get through all the obstacles of applying! Thank you so much for that information! :)

I actually know a local graduate of DLS-HSC... the one in Cavite, right? He says he got a lot out of the PBL curriculum there, but also cautioned to me that PBL (problem-based learning) wasn't for everyone. Also, being that we are Fil-Ams... I don't think we're used to the PBL curriculum. We are more lecture-based, didactic style learners. Does DLS-HSC still teach PBL-style? I know that's what my local Filipino friend told me. He is at UP-PGH doing residency right now, I believe. Also, isn't Cavite a province or is it part of Manila? I think he said it was provincial. That $5,000.00 fee's pretty good, though!

Are you a Fil-Am, as well? If so, thanks for sharing that info! If not and you're local to the Philippines, THANK YOU EVEN MORE for just poppin by this thread and posting!!!!! LoL... local input would be nice, too. All the info we get is usually word of mouth from other Fil-Ams. I just visited the website for La Salle right now, and it looks way more updated than any of the others I visited. Hehe. well, take care :)

is anyone planning to take the NMAT in Chicago on 10/27? I've received my packet from Mr. Vergara already and have been studying a little.

After doing more research, Fatima is out for me. More so for the expense involved over there but also the poor reputation and spoon-feeding.

St Lukes, UE, and UST are my three top choices, possibly FEU. I have one sem left for my BS bio. I just am working right now as a Pharm Tech to save the money but I'll probably have to wait until 2009 to start. Best of luck to all of you.

Yup, that is pretty much the same info I got from others about Fatima, as well :(

Goodluck with everything, lumanogin.

:)

I think it's better if you call the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery in UST. I don't have any idea bout the MCAT and NMAT thing but i strongly recommend UST for you. It's the best institution here i guess.

Well goodluck

hey, sharmei17! :)

Thanks so much for posting here. I appreciate it a lot! Are you currently a student at UST? Any feedback about the school would be nice.

I'm strongly going for UERM, but still considering UST right now.

Thanks so much!
Kat :luck:

Hi Melanie! To answer your question, I've been out of school for about 4 years now, working as a behavior therapist. So, I'm definitely going to have to brush up on a lot of my sciences! Hopefully I'll do ok. How about yourself? Did you graduate from UCLA? Browndeo also went to UCLA. We might start a study group for the NMAT sometime soon. You're more than welcome to join! Too bad Kat is all the way in Florida cuz she would totally be the one leading the study group if she was in LA! haha. She's done so much research on med schools in the PI! She's totally on top of things. I'm sure she can answer any questions you may have. It's so great to hear from people in the same boat as I am. So, I guess we'll definitely see you in November!!! Take care and good luck studying! :D

Isn't mcar9880 awesome? She's also helped me with some of my questions, so thanks Maricar! Just to add to this, I've also heard some good things from UERM from both the local students there and the Fil-Ams that attend the school itself. It is definitely my top choice in the PI. Maybe we'll all be classmates next year... and i agree.. it is definitely good to know that there are other Fil-Ams in the same boat as far as all this goes!

I also haven't gotten my NMAT packet, either. I still have to send him the check first, but I hope it doesn't take too, too long for the NMAT materials to arrive!

-Kat :):luck::rolleyes::thumbup:

You're so funny Kat! I love your excitement and enthusiasm! I can't believe you responded to everyone! Crazy! haha. See you in November! :)

Hey there, melbruinMD! Wow, studying for your September MCAT will definitely be great prep for your November NMAT! Mcar9880 and I are both taking are NMATs in LOS ANGELES in November, too, so hope to see you there :)

I'm so glad people are utilizing this forum. When i started the thread, I was hoping for like one or two adequate responses, but this is great! Tell me how your Philippines trip in October goes. Do you plan on visiting any of the schools? Oh my gosh, I've done SO much effin research on Philippine med schools, it's crazy. Like i searched for people on multiply.com, friendster (seemingly popular in the PI), myspace, studentdoctor.net, and valuemd.com. Lots of people have mentioned UERM to me and i've learned that they do have a good handful of fil-ams that go there every year, so we wouldn't be alone at all. Also, I know of a few that are already doing their US rotations, so that is definitely a plus to know that it is possible and easier, considering the school is directly affiliated with the schools in chicago and new york.

I agree that the websites don't seem to help at all, and, unlike here in the U.S. where email responses to businesses/schools are pretty prompt, I still haven't heard a single thing from any of the schools through email. I'm thinking about calling them directly using a phone card so that some of my questions can get answered ASAP.

welcome! hope to hear from you again soon here. update us with anything new :)

Hi Kat, thanks for the welcome. Wow you have done your research and I am very impressed. I will be going to the Philippines for 3 weeks in October so I plan on visiting a few schools. I want to try and talk to current Fil-Am students about the curriculum, teaching methods, US rotations and just the whole transition process in general (which is my biggest concern). October is still a month away so if you don't hear from them by then, let me know if there are any specific questions you want me to ask. I don't know exactly which schools I'll be visiting, but for sure I'll stop by UERM.

Great thread by the way. I'll keep updating here if anything comes up. As always, good luck studying!! :)

Hi Melanie! To answer your question, I've been out of school for about 4 years now, working as a behavior therapist. So, I'm definitely going to have to brush up on a lot of my sciences! Hopefully I'll do ok. How about yourself? Did you graduate from UCLA? Browndeo also went to UCLA. We might start a study group for the NMAT sometime soon. You're more than welcome to join! Too bad Kat is all the way in Florida cuz she would totally be the one leading the study group if she was in LA! haha. She's done so much research on med schools in the PI! She's totally on top of things. I'm sure she can answer any questions you may have. It's so great to hear from people in the same boat as I am. So, I guess we'll definitely see you in November!!! Take care and good luck studying! :D

Hey Maricar! I agree with Kat (who is pretty awesome as well) that you are definitely awesome in terms of helpful advice! Anyways, how were your four years off from school? I actually just graduated UCLA this year, c/o 2007 :) That's cool that there is another fellow Bruin going through the same process. Its reassuring just knowing the fact that there are other Fil-Ams doing the same thing I am. Anyways, yeah let me know about the study group info...sounds like a great idea since none of us have taken the test before and there aren't exactly review centers anywhere in SoCal. I'm leaving for the Philippines in Oct. so a majority of my studying is going to be in September, so just let me know! I wonder what's the best meeting point between us. Right now, I'm living near The Grove...which part of LA are you from?

Question to you guys. Anyone know what the "Certificate of Good Moral Character" forms are? I was just planning on getting two letters of rec. from former professors.

Thanks guys!