FlexMed 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Cloelia I second you on the grades statement. I'd say if the circumstances are serious enough (your discretion), go ahead and tell them but I am sure that they know that student's grades will vary from one semester to another. I am in a similar boat, but I've also been doing really well so I'm sure they will take that into consideration.

Also, on your question about transcripts: they said during the interview that they will ask everyone for the transcripts. You're not alone! :)

The wait is terrible. Every time I remember something about FlexMed, I get super impatient all over again. Maybe they will surprise us and send in acceptances early??? (Probably not though haha)

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh, this wait is just so long! It's probably because they want to see Spring semester grades before deciding. Anyway, I think the interview process was exceptional, very relaxed and conversational. Did anyone else here interview on Thursday, April 7th?

Gosh, this wait is just so long! It's probably because they want to see Spring semester grades before deciding. Anyway, I think the interview process was exceptional, very relaxed and conversational. Did anyone else here interview on Thursday, April 7th?
I interviewed in May and also found it to be very relaxed and congenial overall.
Of those who interviewed, did you find the experience changed your impression of the program at MSSM? More or less positive? More or less commitment to attending if admitted?
(I'm curious, of course, but also just trying to occupy the time until July 1st :yawn:! )

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in May and also found it to be very relaxed and congenial overall.
Of those who interviewed, did you find the experience changed your impression of the program at MSSM? More or less positive? More or less commitment to attending if admitted?
(I'm curious, of course, but also just trying to occupy the time until July 1st :yawn:! )

I also interviewed in May, and agree that it was quite relaxed and low-stress, which I really appreciated. I got the impression (from talking to current students) that MSSM has unusually casual and friendly interviews-- which is great, except that I feel like EVERYONE probably comes out thinking that their interview went well, so it's difficult to know how you really did. Overall, I came away with an extremely positive opinion of the school. Going in, I was interested but not that attached to the school and honestly still somewhat hesitant about med school in general, but I had an amazing experience. The students I stayed with were super friendly and interesting and really went out of their way to make me feel welcome, and seemed busy but remarkably low-stress for med students! Touring the school and talking to students, doctors, etc. made me SO excited about Sinai! I really got a sense of what makes the school unique and the whole experience made me much more invested in Sinai and in a future in medicine (which will be really unfortunate if I don't get in :p ). I was pretty hesitant going in because I spoke to a friend who had interviewed earlier, and she did not have a very positive experience with her hosts or with the other students interviewing-- by my personal impression was overwhelmingly good.

What about other people? Ugh, I can't believe we still have nearly a month to wait :p

Reactions: 2 users
Now not even a week more of waiting! Best of luck to all.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how we'll be notified? Email? Also I got a reminder to send in my transcript on June 22 even though I sent it in on June 1st! Did this happen to anyone else?

Pretty sure we'll be notified by email. Does anyone know what time the email gets to our inbox? I tried to check previous threads but there wasn't a specific time associated with their posts.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected! Sorry to ruin the parade of acceptances but I felt like posting about my rejection was something that I should do for future applicants who stalk previous year's threads hahaha (no shame I've done it myself). I called their office for clarification but they are very strict on not giving personal feedback and critique about specific applications. The decision was definitely a shocker since I had an amazing interview experience but I was definitely preparing myself for it anyways. BTW, for this round of Flexmed applications, 760 applied, 170 got interviews of which 54 were accepted. Best of luck to those accepted and rejected!

Members don't see this ad :)
I see the email but too afraid to open it. For those accepted, did the subject say congratulations or anything suggestive of acceptance?

I see the email but too afraid to open it. For those accepted, did the subject say congratulations or anything suggestive of acceptance?
The subject line in mine just says 'Office of Admissions' and then the address, nothing about acceptance or rejection.

Congrats everyone! I got accepted and the email line just says office of admissions as well

Thought I'd let future applicants know about the Medical Honors Program at University of Florida. It's another early assurance program that's open to everyone.

Applied this cycle with no success, but definitely an incredible humbling and learning experience!

Finally; I'd also like to point out that the silver lining is still there. Great things await us even though we didn't get in.

Congrats to all those accepted. Could you all please post your stats/EC ... for future applicants. Thanks

HS GPA: 4.00
College GPA: 3.99
SAT: 2400
Bioengineering, with minor in Technology Management

3 summers full time in research labs, and 2 academic semesters during college, proposed one research study, 3 poster presentations, 1 oral presentation
Consistent clinical volunteering at a nursing home and an Alzheimer's care center since 9th grade, through summers in college
Significant involvement in entrepreneurial projects, consulting project for a healthcare company, helped develop a joint venture between my university and Mayo Clinic, founder of an oral cancer diagnostics company
Founded an organization which brings high school students from across my state to my university to take interesting seminars taught by senior undergrads
Shadowed Gen. Surg, ENT, Emergency Med, Ophtho
In High School, I did math team, scholastic bowl, and other academic competitions

Last but not least, I am on an improv comedy team. This sparked some interesting conversations at the interviews :p

Had at least 1 really good recommendation

Mt. Sinai was a great fit for me because they have such an entrepreneurial bent, everyone is encouraged to start new endeavors. My student interviewer was an MD/PhD student that had a company that he started with 3 other Mt. Sinai students. The ethos was just really aligned with my interests. It's an awesome program, everyone should at least give it a shot.

Last edited:
I was also accepted! Congrats everyone! Super excited to meet y'all! :) We should start an accepted students FB group like they did last year!

I was also accepted! Congrats everyone! Super excited to meet y'all! :) We should start an accepted students FB group like they did last year!
Yeah, I second futuredoc, we should definitely start a FB group! I'm not too savvy with FB though, could someone else possibly do that? :p

Congrats to the recent FlexMed acceptances! Welcome to Sinai! I'm a rising second year MD student. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

A FB group sounds great! Is anyone else not showing up on the roster?

My name isn't showing up on the roster either but I assumed that the roster shows everyone but myself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong pls
I don't know why we're not showing up. There are only 34 names on the roster of the 54 accepted students. Just wondering if there's something we haven't done...

(1) I am fairly certain that you only show up on the roster once you accept and log in to the system. I guess 20 out of the 54 accepted students haven't confirmed- they may or may not accept their admissions. (2) I am also pretty sure that you can't see yourself on the roster. I can't see myself either. I don't think there's a need to be worried! :)

Waitlisted! Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist/how long I should wait to hear back?

(1) I am fairly certain that you only show up on the roster once you accept and log in to the system. I guess 20 out of the 54 accepted students haven't confirmed- they may or may not accept their admissions. (2) I am also pretty sure that you can't see yourself on the roster. I can't see myself either. I don't think there's a need to be worried! :)
Thanks (not so distant)future doc :)! That's a relief. I'll just assume I'm there in invisible ink.

You guys are so chill. If I got a rejection letter I'd be hopping mad. Taking it in all so calmly and actually congratulating others is something I couldn't do so well. I hope that if I get a rejection letter when I apply next year that I might be able to take it so calmly, haha.

Hi everyone, I am considering applying next year and was wondering if it is going to be a waste of time and money so advice would be appreciated! Here are my stats:

4.0 HS GPA
33 ACT
Biochemistry major with psych minor
4.0 College GPA (although I go to a smaller private school that isn't well known)
I will have completed 76 credit hours after the fall semester (dual enrollment)
Full academic scholarship from my university
1 year as a Resident Assistant in the freshmen dorm
Involved in several on campus clubs, one is political, another involves visiting people at nursing homes
Shadowed in ED at level 1 trauma center and observed some surgeries (general and ortho)

I know my extra curriculars are weak, and I haven't had the opportunity to do research because of the limited opportunities at my university. I don't want to waste time and money applying if I don't have a realistic shot and I'm not sure if my GPA and test scores will be enough to overshadow the lack of extracurriculars. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi everyone, I am considering applying next year and was wondering if it is going to be a waste of time and money so advice would be appreciated! Here are my stats:

4.0 HS GPA
33 ACT
Biochemistry major with psych minor
4.0 College GPA (although I go to a smaller private school that isn't well known)
I will have completed 76 credit hours after the fall semester (dual enrollment)
Full academic scholarship from my university
1 year as a Resident Assistant in the freshmen dorm
Involved in several on campus clubs, one is political, another involves visiting people at nursing homes
Shadowed in ED at level 1 trauma center and observed some surgeries (general and ortho)

I know my extra curriculars are weak, and I haven't had the opportunity to do research because of the limited opportunities at my university. I don't want to waste time and money applying if I don't have a realistic shot and I'm not sure if my GPA and test scores will be enough to overshadow the lack of extracurriculars. Any advice is appreciated!

As someone who was just accepted this cycle, I feel like to have a compelling application, you need a compelling reason to want to be involved in flexmed. There are lots of applicants with grades and ECs like you, but what will set you apart is a string argument as to why Mt Sinai should invest in your education. That's essentially what all the essays and interviewers ask. If your answer is simply that you like Mt Sinai as an institution, and want to have your future assured, that may not be enough. But if you have interesting plans and are passionate about something that's not taking the MCATs, then def go for it!

Reactions: 1 users