Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on 1/22 and received my acceptance letter in the mail today!:soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi so I interviewed 2/6 and just recieved my acceptance today 2/17, although the acceptance was dated 2/12. Goodluck everyone!

Hi so I interviewed 2/6 and just recieved my acceptance today 2/17, although the acceptance was dated 2/12. Goodluck everyone!
! Congrats! Man that was a quick turn around time. I interviewed here on 2/6 too. Do you mind to share your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Gpa:3.72, science 3.6 mcat:30, decent extracurriculars (shadowing, research).

Thats so great, once again congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, did you receive your acceptance in the mail? E-mail? Phone? And did your portal also show that you were accepted?

Thats so great, once again congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, did you receive your acceptance in the mail? E-mail? Phone? And did your portal also show that you were accepted?

I haven't checked portal so idk if anything on that changed but I just came home to a letter in the mail from lecom and that was it

Are they still interviewing for actual spots or wait list?

I know a lot of people are worried about it being late in the cycle but I would not worry too much about it. I know someone who is a second year and they interviewed in April and there are at least 3 or 4 people from their interview group that are currently enrolled. There is a relatively high turn over because I know when I got accepted they only gave me like 3 weeks to send in a deposit, so its not like there are a bunch of people just sitting on acceptances. Also no one knows if there are five spots available or fifty so if your invited to an interview assume there is a spot for you whether its in February or April. They also accept people off the wait list up until class starts. I know several people who didn't get in until July, including a girl who got in during orientation, sucks to wait but don't give up hope just because its late.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today!!!
Primary Submitted - September 2014
Secondary Submitted - November 2014
Interview - February 6, 2015
Acceptance - March 2, 2015

MCAT - 30
cGPA - 3.68
sGPA - 3.50

Good luck to all the applicants!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today!!!
Primary Submitted - September 2014
Secondary Submitted - November 2014
Interview - February 6, 2015
Acceptance - March 2, 2015

MCAT - 30
cGPA - 3.68
sGPA - 3.50

Good luck to all the applicants!

Ah! Congratulations! I interviewed on the same day, I'm hoping to hear the news soon as well.

Received my letter of acceptance Monday. Took about three weeks :) It's humbling and a tremendous honor to be given this opportunity. Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got my acceptance letter on March 2nd. I sent in my deposit on March 4th. Right now on my portal it doesn't mention anything about the acceptance, just that my official letter will come within 30 days (which it already has). Do they update your portal once they receive your deposit?

So I got my acceptance letter on March 2nd. I sent in my deposit on March 4th. Right now on my portal it doesn't mention anything about the acceptance, just that my official letter will come within 30 days (which it already has). Do they update your portal once they receive your deposit?

My status was changed to "Congratuations, on your acceptance to LECOM at Seton Hill. We have received your matriculation fee and agreement. You will be contacted over the next few months." I also got an email acknowledging that they recieved it.

how much is the deposit and how long do you have after finding out you're accepted to send it in?

ouch that's a steep deposit. I'm guessing their waitlist doesn't move much then?

Are you guys all over 25? It seems stupid expensive the fees they tack on for this... It is literally like $10/day for 25+ and $60/day for under 25. It's absolutely ridiculous considering I'm old and mature enough to have a credit card with free rental insurance (not to even mention fly on a plane and go to interviews by myself)...

Has anyone's portal just changed to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days"? I had my interview on 3/5.

Has anyone's portal just changed to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days"? I had my interview on 3/5.

Yeah my changed in February after my interview on 2/6. It took about 2 weeks for my acceptance letter to get in. However I know you can call the school and they will let you know your status.

I guess it's a moot point asking this question, since I've already decided to come to LECOM. I've been reading on a lot of the threads about LECOM and UPMC hospital severing ties for clinical rotations. I'm just curious what current students take on it is. In older SDN threads, students really seem to be frantic over it, but that might just be because they are really vocal, and SDN isn't really representative of the whole student body. From the student's I spoke to during my interview, and from people I know who have went to LECOM, they all said not to fret about it too much. What does everyone here think?

Yeah my changed in February after my interview on 2/6. It took about 2 weeks for my acceptance letter to get in. However I know you can call the school and they will let you know your status.
I called admissions and she said she can't release the decision on the phone. So I'll just wait for the letter

My portal status changed. I'll get a letter in 30 days... how nerve racking is that lol

For those of you looking for housing: the best advice I can give is to join your class' Facebook group. You can see the real names of your classmates to look for potential roommates; plus, many current second-years will be moving in May and June for rotations and are posting about their apartments becoming available.

I guess it's a moot point asking this question, since I've already decided to come to LECOM. I've been reading on a lot of the threads about LECOM and UPMC hospital severing ties for clinical rotations. I'm just curious what current students take on it is. In older SDN threads, students really seem to be frantic over it, but that might just be because they are really vocal, and SDN isn't really representative of the whole student body. From the student's I spoke to during my interview, and from people I know who have went to LECOM, they all said not to fret about it too much. What does everyone here think?

It was a major problem the year it happened, because there were students who were counting on those sites being available. Fast forward a few years, and LECOM's adjusted so that there are sufficient slots for everyone again using other hospitals throughout PA, OH, NY, etc. It sucks we can't really rotate at the UPMCs because I'm sure they'd provide a great experience, but it's not the catastrophe that many make it out to be.

We had a snow day that day; props to you (and everyone in your interview group) for making it up the hill!

Interviewing here 3/30! Not sure if the school will be full or not by then :p

Got placed on Alternate list. Does anyone know if there is a difference between that and a wait list?

We had a snow day that day; props to you (and everyone in your interview group) for making it up the hill![/QUOTE]

I was there for the Snow Day interview. I felt a bit disadvantaged due to the shortened interview time. I thought I did well too. Sadly I got a rejection letter. Is there only one letter for all three campuses?

Hi, does anyone know the email id to lecom-seton hill campus to send them application updates?

for those of you who interviewed where would you recommend staying? Im most likely flying into pittsburgh int and just wondering if i could get some feedback on hotels and stuff

for those of you who interviewed where would you recommend staying? Im most likely flying into pittsburgh int and just wondering if i could get some feedback on hotels and stuff

I stayed at the Ramada. It had good pricing, I think I paid about 85 or something. The hotel is close to a mall and other stores so food or spending time is readily available. The drive from Pittsburgh is pretty nice, if I remember correctly it took me about 1.5 hours.

I stayed at the Ramada. It had good pricing, I think I paid about 85 or something. The hotel is close to a mall and other stores so food or spending time is readily available. The drive from Pittsburgh is pretty nice, if I remember correctly it took me about 1.5 hours.
awesome thanks for the advice! also-does anyone know if the hertz gold rewards really does waive the underage fee? i cant find anything about that online

Hey I was looking at the required/supplemental books required for the 2014-2016 years. Is the list just for 1 year, or for both MS1 and MS2?

For anyone interviewing in the near future the Knights inn is 76 a night comes with breakfast and is about ten mins from the mall and the school. Just thought I'd share!

Also: the hertz plus rewards system does not waive the underage fee. I got an economy car for 60 all together thru Payless for those of you who need to rent a car

Has anyone who interviewed here on 3/5 not heard back yet? My portal hasn't changed since I received the interview invite and I haven't gotten a letter yet either.

Hey I was looking at the required/supplemental books required for the 2014-2016 years. Is the list just for 1 year, or for both MS1 and MS2?

It should be for both years.

Hold off on buying anything for a while-- they made some edition changes on us over the summer last year.

Also, to help you budget: despite what they say, all you REALLY need when classes start are Gray's Anatomy, the embryology book, the histology book, and the OPP book. Maybe an anatomy atlas (which one is most useful is highly debatable). You can wait to buy the rest of them when your loan money comes in. You won't even use the required neuroanatomy, microbiology or immunology until second semester so you can wait even longer on those.

It should be for both years.

Hold off on buying anything for a while-- they made some edition changes on us over the summer last year.

Also, to help you budget: despite what they say, all you REALLY need when classes start are Gray's Anatomy, the embryology book, the histology book, and the OPP book. Maybe an anatomy atlas (which one is most useful is highly debatable). You can wait to buy the rest of them when your loan money comes in. You won't even use the required neuroanatomy, microbiology or immunology until second semester so you can wait even longer on those.

There will also be copies of all of these books in the library. I didn't own anything OPP until second semester because the library copy sufficed.

There will also be copies of all of these books in the library. I didn't own anything OPP until second semester because the library copy sufficed.

I never study in the library so I forgot about this. Good point.

There's also PDFs of most books that you can "acquire," should you prefer to go that route. I'm a paper-and-highlighter person, but the e-books are handy at times as well.

For anyone else still looking for hotels-I stayed at an AirBnB...The rate was $50 dollars-room, bathroom, basic toiletries, and I had the added benefit of staying with a 2nd year. Just look it up as "Private Room in Cottage Style Home" in the AirBnB app.

Anyone got any heads up on interview questions? Interviewing on Monday

Anyone got any heads up on interview questions? Interviewing on Monday
Some questions I remember from my interview day were "tell me about yourself", "what is a trait that makes you a good doctor", "why lecom", "tell me about a current event", "where do you envision yourself in 10 years".