LECOM-E (PBL) or Western U COMP-NW (Lebanon)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LECOM (PBL) or Western U COMP-NW (Lebanon)?

• LECOM (PBL)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Western U COMP-NW (Lebanon)

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_axolotl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was admitted to both programs.

LECOM-E (PBL)
The good:
  • Cheap.
  • 3-hour drive from home (moral support).
  • Match list with approximately 1/2 ACGME residencies. (AOA residencies will be phased out by 2020, my match year), some names like Hopkins, Duke.
  • PBL Pathway.
  • Large alumni network.
The bad:
  • Huge class size.
  • Rigid administration, difficulties scheduling clinical rotations.
  • Freezing Midwestern town.
  • Research opportunities?
Western U COMP-NW
The good:
  • Small class size, family atmosphere, personalized career advice and guidance.
  • Better clinical rotations (including Portland), and flexible electives (including international!).
  • Beautiful part of the country, ideal for residency. CA, OR, or WA would be amazing places to match.
  • Relaxed learning atmosphere, singular learning pathway.
  • My S.O. is set on the West coast.
The bad:
  • Expensive.
  • Reputation in the Pacific Northwest?
  • Research opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LECOM-PBL: Cheap, great match list, great board scores, great match rate, flexibility in rotations. Is it worth paying 20k more for a school, that will likely give you the same quality of education, and besides medical school is what YOU make of it. If you want a great rotation then you can get it! Just got to work hard!

I don't know anything about Western so I can't compare.

I will say that "difficulties scheduling rotations" at LECOM is overblown. It's true we can't go international (which is unfortunate) but we you can do electives in basically anything, anywhere. Selectives do have to be at LECOM affiliates, but there's quite a few of those. It's not really that limiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Which program will you get a higher level of education?

TIEBREAKER...
2) Which program is cheaper?

TIEBREAKER...
3) Which program has better food nearby?

Reactions: 2 users
I guess since I'm from the West side, I'm a bit biased toward WesternU. So instead of just telling you that WesternU is a good idea, I can give you my opinion of Oregon in general and WesternU-NW in particular since I've interviewed there and know some of the students personally.

They have pretty varied rotation spots, with a lot of opportunity to stay more rural, or go to a bigger city if you feel so inclined. They preach a family atmosphere, which I was skeptical of at first, but after visiting there, I know that they "practice what they preach". It is the most welcoming med school I've been too. Although they are fairly new (just graduated their first class), they are up to par with every DO school I've visited (stats-wise). Also, they have an amazing anatomy lab...like truly amazing. The community there loves the med school, and donates cadavers to the school (basically, they have a surplus, which is rare). If you are interested in research, you can definitely get into it there. Some students there do it constantly, some every once-in-awhile, some don't care. But the opportunity is there if you want it.

WesternU is in a small town itself, which makes focusing on medicine easy, but is in traveling distance of really anything - the coast, mountains, Portland, etc., and Corvallis is like 25 mins away which is a college town with a fair amount of stuff to do. Only bad thing is it rains a lot...

Like I said, I don't know about LECOM-E. I haven't visited, and didn't apply there, but I thought I'd drop my 2-cents on WesternU. Honestly, you get what you put into becoming a DO, so go to the place that you'll enjoy more. No one is going to say "OMG you went to (blank DO school) over (blank DO school), you're so much better off".

LECOM has research opportunities. What's available depends a little bit on you, and which campus you attend. I'm matriculating at the Seton Hill campus this summer and spoke to all campuses about research. They have a link to their LRC through the website if you want to check it out. Can't speak for the other school.

LECOM has research opportunities. What's available depends a little bit on you, and which campus you attend. I'm matriculating at the Seton Hill campus this summer and spoke to all campuses about research. They have a link to their LRC through the website if you want to check it out. Can't speak for the other school.
Awesome, thanks. The LRC looks like a great resource.

Not sure if you already made up your mind at all, but there are plenty of research opportunities at COMP-NW. I'm a current 2nd year and have completed 3 research projects in the last 12 months, with two currently pending publication. We are on the leading edge of ultrasound research, and our own Dr. Benninger produces dozens of posters and publications with students every year. In addition, we have a good relationship with Good Samaritan's hospital system in Lebanon and neighboring Corvallis, and they are very eager to put us to work with their residents on research projects. Additionally, we have a research lab in our main building that's at your complete disposal.

Just to piggy back on what was said above: our anatomy lab is second to none. We have about 25 cadavers during anatomy season (that's roughly 4-5 students per body) and a constant supply during off-season. This means that you can be as involved with anatomy research as you want. Basically, the only limiting factor for research on this campus is YOU. I don't think any of our students would ever claim that they didn't have enough of an opportunity..

Not sure if you already made up your mind at all, but there are plenty of research opportunities at COMP-NW. I'm a current 2nd year and have completed 3 research projects in the last 12 months, with two currently pending publication. We are on the leading edge of ultrasound research, and our own Dr. Benninger produces dozens of posters and publications with students every year. In addition, we have a good relationship with Good Samaritan's hospital system in Lebanon and neighboring Corvallis, and they are very eager to put us to work with their residents on research projects. Additionally, we have a research lab in our main building that's at your complete disposal.

Just to piggy back on what was said above: our anatomy lab is second to none. We have about 25 cadavers during anatomy season (that's roughly 4-5 students per body) and a constant supply during off-season. This means that you can be as involved with anatomy research as you want. Basically, the only limiting factor for research on this campus is YOU. I don't think any of our students would ever claim that they didn't have enough of an opportunity..
I actually emailed Dr. Benninger a few months ago asking how to become involved in anatomy research and never heard back. It was discouraging, considering how highly his students speak of him.

I meant to thank you for commenting, by the way. Sorry for a quippy response.

I actually emailed Dr. Benninger a few months ago asking how to become involved in anatomy research and never heard back. It was discouraging, considering how highly his students speak of him.

Unfortunately, he's awful at returning e-mails. I've worked with him on several projects, and I still can't get him to ever respond. When I need to discuss anything with him, I call him or see him in his office. He's old-school in that respect. Don't let that discourage you. It in no way reflects his willingness to undertake research with his students. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.