2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary prompt:
-While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician (500 words)

-Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you (500 words)

-What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest? (500 words)

-Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@PapaGuava

Secondary Questions

-While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician (500 words)

-Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you (500 words)

-What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP Northwest? (500 words)

-Describe why you see yourself as a great "fit" for our school. (500 words)

Reactions: 1 users
How are y'all answering the "Why does the Pacific NW appeal to you question?" I have only been there once and do not know too much about what makes this area unique/great place to live/learn/train.

How are y'all answering the "Why does the Pacific NW appeal to you question?" I have only been there once and do not know too much about what makes this area unique/great place to live/learn/train.

I’m from Washington so I’m going to write about my love for the diverse geography/staying close to family and how that was strengthened by my experiences living in Arizona for college ( I’m not a big fan of the desert lol). The northwest is unique and allows me to pursue my other passion like other places can’t (Skiing, cycling, hiking, scuba, etc,)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we don't feel we have any extenuating circumstances to discuss, can we leave that essay question blank?

If we don't feel we have any extenuating circumstances to discuss, can we leave that essay question blank?

I personally would put N/a to make sure they don't feel you forgot to do it. Just my personal opinion

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the extenuating circumstances question... I had relatively bad grades my freshman and sophomore years and don't really have a good excuse... I worked much harder and smarter over the next two years to improve my GPA. I can point out the upward trend in my grades and reflect on what I learned regarding studying harder and more efficiently. Is this worth writing about even though I don't have a good reason for the bad grades in the first place?
Thanks!

Does anyone know if it would be bad to copy and paste majority of Western COMP's secondary to the Norwest campus secondary?

Does anyone know if it would be bad to copy and paste majority of Western COMP's secondary to the Norwest campus secondary?
I did that and was accepted to both campuses last year.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone having trouble submitting the secondary? Server seems to not be working.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are both WesternU campuses safe and out of state friendly? I was filling out secondaries rn but was just thinking about the big move I would have to make in the situation I end up going there. (East Coast)

Hey y’all! Did anyone have trouble adding additional research experiences? I was able to add one but don’t see an option to add another

Is anyone having difficulty submitting the secondary? I’ve been trying to pay since yesterday afternoon and it keeps saying the site is undergoing maintenance

Is anyone having difficulty submitting the secondary? I’ve been trying to pay since yesterday afternoon and it keeps saying the site is undergoing maintenance
I had some troubles over the weekend, but it resolved on Monday morning. I would just give it a few days + send them an email describng your situation.

I’m from Washington so I’m going to write about my love for the diverse geography/staying close to family and how that was strengthened by my experiences living in Arizona for college ( I’m not a big fan of the desert lol). The northwest is unique and allows me to pursue my other passion like other places can’t (Skiing, cycling, hiking, scuba, etc,)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi,

I noticed the prompt specifically asked, "Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in the Pacific NW appeals to you." So are we allowed to talk about the general area and the activities available there that appeal to us as well? For now, I only talked about my desire to serve the underserved/rural population. Please let me know~

App verified 6/24, secondary received 7/3

Are both WesternU campuses safe and out of state friendly? I was filling out secondaries rn but was just thinking about the big move I would have to make in the situation I end up going there. (East Coast)
I found this on COMP's site. Not sure if COMP-NW is the same though. From here, it seems like COMP is low-yield for OOS people.

1593895214532.png

EDIT: Also found this:
1593895644911.png

Seems like COMP-NW is more friendly to OOS people. However, I think the majority of OOS are West Coast/CA residents.

I found this on COMP's site. Not sure if COMP-NW is the same though. From here, it seems like COMP is low-yield for OOS people.

View attachment 311858

EDIT: Also found this:
View attachment 311867
Seems like COMP-NW is more friendly to OOS people. However, I think the majority of OOS are West Coast/CA residents.
During preview day, they explained this is only because ratio wise, more CA/west coast people apply to COMP, so when it comes to acceptance, they also happen to be in the majority pool. Where you're from shouldn't affect your chances of getting into Western! Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Their essays feel very repetitive. At least in regards to the character limit I feel I could answer all of these in one essay. But its 500 words each.

2. basically asks why us?
3. basically asks why do you want to do clinical rotations here?
4. why are you a good fit here?

Does anyone know what clubs there actually are at the Lebanon campus? On the website, it shows the ones at the Pomona campus, but as far as I know, there isn't any information online about which also exist at the Lebanon campus.

Clubs | College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

Might be too late at this point but I eventually found this through their website!

Last edited:
Hey so for the shadowing- they’re asking for emails but a lot of doctors I shadowed I only spoke to via phone and texting so I don’t have their emails. What do I do?

Hey can we only add one research experience? There’s no room to add anymore experiences

Yeah I emailed admissions and they said there’s only space to submit one so to pick the most significant

Does everyone get a secondary here?

Any major differences between the Pomona campus and the Lebanon campus besides location? Might just copy and paste my responses from the Pomona campus on to this one tbh

Any major differences between the Pomona campus and the Lebanon campus besides location? Might just copy and paste my responses from the Pomona campus on to this one tbh
Pomona campus is located in a more urbanized area, while Lebanon is located in a more rural area. Therefore, the training/patient exposure is naturally more urbanized or based in rural practices, respectively. Also, the longitudinal tracks they offer are different as well. For example, I believe Lebanon doesn't offer the H-art of Medicine track, while Pomona doesn't offer Rural Health track. Hope that helps!

I have yet to receive a secondary from this college, should I be worried? I received a "received email" on the 3rd of August.

I'm still waiting to be reviewed...

The portal shows they have my letters, test scores, etc. Does it change to say when you are under review?

Its still early in the cycle. We just gotta be patient, I suppose

Does anyone know what they mean by "were you the primary researcher or did you contribute to the published work?" on the secondary section that asks about research experience? I took the lead on a project where I was the 1st author for a poster and the only undergrad student who did it. The only other people credited on the poster is my PI. I'm unsure if this would qualify me as a primary researcher though

Should I reach out to the school? I still have not received a secondary.

Hey All! I’m a current second year at COMP-NW, here to answer any questions you may have! Best of luck with the app cycle.

Hi!
I received an interview invite this morning, but I can't seem to find where to actually schedule the interview on my portal... is anyone having the same issue?

Hi!
I received an interview invite this morning, but I can't seem to find where to actually schedule the interview on my portal... is anyone having the same issue?
Congrats!! I haven't gotten an II from here yet, but I am curious, are you IS? and what are your stats if you don't mind sharing? I think you're the first to notify about an II from here!! Thats great news

Hey!! Is coming from Michigan ok or is there is a huge region bias

I would say yes but not huge. I would say 1/2-2/3 of the class is from Oregon, Cali and Washington. But we have students from all over the country in our class that had otherwise, no connection to the NW before moving here.

I know everything is different this year, but does anyone have any information regarding approximately how long the interview day is supposed to last? Obviously the interview itself is 30 minutes, but they mention breakout rooms so I am wondering what the other parts of the day consist of (especially since we are expected to watch all those presentations ahead of time). Thank you in advance!

Just got an II today super excited! This is my very first II from all my applications!

Reactions: 4 users