2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Received OOS secondary today. Still waiting on Pomona campus

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Their secondary is a beast, but I think of all the schools I've seen it's very well balanced and allows for speaking about many circumstances.

Anyone who's received it do you mind posting the prompts :)

Here you go:

1. What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO). [500 words]
  2. If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician? [500 words]
  3. If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so. [500 words]
  4. Are you providing a letter of recommendation from a physician? [Yes/No, if No additional essay appears]
    • If no, please explain the extenuating circumstances as to why you are not providing a letter of recommendation from a physician. [500 words]
  5. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did your activity benefit the community? [500 words]
  6. How does the COMP Northwest Mission statement align with your values? [500 words]
  7. Why do you want to attend COMP Northwest? [500 words]
  8. What does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you and why are they important? [500 words]
  9. Have you participated in research? [Yes/No; if Yes additional questions appear]
    1. If yes, briefly describe your role and what skills you gained from participation in the research. [500 words]
    2. Please provide us with the link to the publication or abstract if possible.
    3. Did you contribute to the published work as an author/coauthor? [Yes/No]
  10. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.). [500 words]

Does Western (either campus) screen?

According to ChooseDO, yes, they do screen:
  • Supplemental application sent to the following prospective students:
    Applications are reviewed and competitive applicants are sent a link to the supplemental application.

I've got their 2° after about ~3.5 days and the email said: (emphasis mine)
(...) I am very pleased to inform you that based on your academic performance, volunteerism, and clinical experience you are eligible to continue to the next step of our application process.

Reactions: 1 users
Lower stat applicant so that would explain why I didn't get one haha. Thank you for this info!
If it makes you feel any better, I talked to their admissions department on the phone just a few days ago asking some unrelated questions. Our conversation went to this application cycle timing and she said don't worry, my application (which I just sent in last week) is still considered in good timing, and that they hadn't sent out any secondaries yet. So I'm just chilling right now. I have good GPA but will likely have an unimpressive MCAT when I take it lol

Reactions: 2 users
For those applying and received secondaries to both campuses, are you planning to use the same responses for both? I know there are 2 that are specific to each campus, but I'm having difficulty finding specifics on their site :/ Not sure how different I need to make the responses

For those applying and received secondaries to both campuses, are you planning to use the same responses for both? I know there are 2 that are specific to each campus, but I'm having difficulty finding specifics on their site :/ Not sure how different I need to make the responses
Their curriculum is the same. I guess other things will be similar too. It's about the location.

For example I applied to OR only since I have a laundry list of things why I cannot live in CA. I think they're asking about the campus choice for a reason. Technically you can apply to both but I don't think a generic answer will be good.

Does anyone know if the NW Comp campus will be conducting online interviews or in-person interviews? I can't seem to find this information on their website.

Hello everyone, just letting y'all know I also got a secondary and I'm in state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the NW Comp campus will be conducting online interviews or in-person interviews? I can't seem to find this information on their website.
They didn't even update their ChooseDO page yet. However, seeing as the last cycle was fully virtual and that more and more things start to close again I wouldn't count on in-person interview from any of the schools.

Hey there! First year here, they just told us today that they were opening up the skills lab for MMI soon... I don’t know if this means that interviews will be in person/virtual yet but I think they may be getting ready to go in person depending on what happens with the delta COVID-19 variant.

Primary submitted and verified August 9, Secondary received today! (OOS, high GPA, low MCAT - 501)

Hey there! First year here, they just told us today that they were opening up the skills lab for MMI soon... I don’t know if this means that interviews will be in person/virtual yet but I think they may be getting ready to go in person depending on what happens with the delta COVID-19 variant.
Oh thank you for this! I do hope it's in-person. So much better than zoom, especially since I will be triple-vaxxed up in here soon. :p

Has anyone gotten a complete email after submission? Their initial secondary email says it may take 5-10 days til all documents are posted (which I assumes means marked received / complete), but my MCAT and letters haven't been marked off so unsure if I should email yet or give it a few more days.

Their curriculum is the same. I guess other things will be similar too. It's about the location.

For example I applied to OR only since I have a laundry list of things why I cannot live in CA. I think they're asking about the campus choice for a reason. Technically you can apply to both but I don't think a generic answer will be good.
If you think about it from the school's perspective, there's really limited amount of slots for interviews, considering in 2024 and 2025 have plenty of applicants. I doubt it's going to affect your chances generally speaking, however, there's a lot of difference between Pomona and Lebanon. Something that is always interesting to hear from incoming first years who interviewed from both areas is how they preferred one location to another.

Not sure if we had this last year, but, two years ago we had "exchange" students where a few select students would swap campuses and experience it on the other side.

Last edited:
First year here! I don't know much about things yet since we are just getting started, but feel free to DM me or tag me on here if you have questions :)

II earlier this afternoon, complete 8/11 but had my secondary turned in in July--there was just an issue with one of my letters not being on letterhead. Virtual interviews, combo of panel and MMI.

II found in my promotions folder couple hours ago. Neuroticism paying off. OOS

II found in my promotions folder couple hours ago. Neuroticism paying off. OOS
Doesn't help that I received the II in an email format that looks EXACTLY like the 20+ promotional emails they've sent me about their campus tours and seminars lol

for the II, mind sharing stats? Wondering if they're doing high stats people first?

Same but tbh all schools interview high stats first.
Somewhat true. However, some of the best life stories and personalities are met later in the interviewing process. One of the most friendly schools for non-traditionals as well, a sizable portion in every class.

Best of luck to all. Otherwise, would be happy to answer any questions regarding the school or general info.

I received a II today. Don’t post often but I saw some comments on here about high stat applicants. I’m more of a mixed stat one. 3.88 gpa 500 MCAT

I received a II today. Don’t post often but I saw some comments on here about high stat applicants. I’m more of a mixed stat one. 3.88 gpa 500 MCAT
Did you have unique extracurriculars?

does anyone know what western's attendance policy was like pre-covid?

does anyone know what western's attendance policy was like pre-covid?
It sounds like they had quite a few mandatory lectures previously, but they recently changed their curriculum and have moved away from mandatory in-person lectures. From what I gathered during my interview today, they will be sticking with this new curriculum moving forward.

It sounds like they had quite a few mandatory lectures previously, but they recently changed their curriculum and have moved away from mandatory in-person lectures. From what I gathered during my interview today, they will be sticking with this new curriculum moving forward.
Congrats on the interview!!! Any tips?

Congrats on the interview!!! Any tips?
Thank you! I think the two things that helped me the most:

1) Practice answering common interview questions. I first created a google doc with common questions and bullet points of the things I wanted to cover in my answer. I then practiced with a friend until I felt comfortable handling both these common questions. Make sure your practice partner throws in some random questions as well so you get practice with answering on they fly.

2) Review both your primary and secondary app (especially important!) the night before and then skim the morning of your interview.

Thank you! I think the two things that helped me the most:

1) Practice answering common interview questions. I first created a google doc with common questions and bullet points of the things I wanted to cover in my answer. I then practiced with a friend until I felt comfortable handling both these common questions. Make sure your practice partner throws in some random questions as well so you get practice with answering on they fly.

2) Review both your primary and secondary app (especially important!) the night before and then skim the morning of your interview.
Any good resources for med school interview questions besides the SDN interview feedback stuff? When I look at online articles, the occasional contradictions make my eye twitch.

Any good resources for med school interview questions besides the SDN interview feedback stuff? When I look at online articles, the occasional contradictions make my eye twitch.
Yeah....I went with a "less is more" approach and just used the sample questions here.

II just now! first of the cycle. The adrenergic signals are through the roof!

Received an Interview earlier today as well. First one ever! Complete early August.

3.69 gpa 507 MCAT

Reactions: 3 users