LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just an fyi for you. we have 9 pre-dentals in the program and it seems like they all are matriculating this fall.

Thank you for the info! Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, 3.34 cGPA, 2.83 sGPA. Looks like that'll go up as I have somewhat of an upward trend (3.8 both quarters this year). AIS of 125.

I'm a Junior Undergrad and wondering what my chances for this program will look like for next year (start Fall 2017) in your guys' eyes? (will be taking MCAT this August, got a 494 in my Kaplan diagnostic before doing any studying)

If you were accepted to LECOM after the post-bacc, did you have any choice in selecting which campus location you would be attending in the fall? Thanks!

I'm still in the post bacc, but when we interviewed, we ranked which campus we wanted along with the pathway. That included seton hill and bradenton which are only PBL campuses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if sGPA for lecom includes math courses. Other post baccs have math in their sGPA calculation.

Anyone been accepted recently? Anyone taking mcat april 23 with me??!!??!??!?!?!?!??!@?!?!?

Reactions: 1 user
I reiterate. Don't do the post-bac program. If you can, do grade replacements at a cc so that you can save money and your sanity.

I believe 50% of the class will either not meet the 3.0 requirement or get their contingent acceptance taken away... because of pharm (you need to think to the 5th degree).

Last edited:
I reiterate. Don't do the post-bac program. If you can, do grade replacements at a cc so that you can save money and your sanity.

I believe 50% of the class will either not meet the 3.0 requirement or get their contingent acceptance taken away... because of pharm (you need to think to the 5th degree).
is pharm in post-bac harder than pharm in DO program? if we can't do make a B in pharm during the light schedule of post-bac how are we supposed to handle it in the real med school...

Reactions: 1 users
Just posted a similar post in the VCOM post bac thread but I applied here as well so figured I'd post it here

Just applied about 2 weeks ago, they're still gathering all my materials, however .

AACOMAS GPAs are 2.89 science & 3.09 overall.
I did apply through aacomas so they would calculate my retakes

I'll be taking the MCAT for the first time later on this summer. ACT score was a 27 from high school. I graduated in 2013 and have loads of clinical experience as a medical assistant the past couple years. Plenty of shadowing, mission trips, and all that. I graduated with a GPA much lower but have been retaking courses to get my GPA up since I graduated.

Do you guys think I have a shot at an acceptance? Has anyone been accepted with similar stats?

Just posted a similar post in the VCOM post bac thread but I applied here as well so figured I'd post it here

Just applied about 2 weeks ago, they're still gathering all my materials, however .

I'll be taking the MCAT for the first time later on this summer. ACT score was a 27 from high school. I graduated in 2013 and have loads of clinical experience as a medical assistant the past couple years. Plenty of shadowing, mission trips, and all that. I graduated with a GPA much lower but have been retaking courses to get my GPA up since I graduated.

Do you guys think I have a shot at an acceptance? Has anyone been accepted with similar stats?
I think my GPAs were almost identical to yours and got accepted, although I applied with my MCAT score instead of an AIS score. Did you put your ACT through the calculator to see what your equivalent was? Assuming they utilize your GPA with retakes, I think you have a pretty decent shot. You sound like you have a good amount of extracurriculars!

is pharm in post-bac harder than pharm in DO program? if we can't do make a B in pharm during the light schedule of post-bac how are we supposed to handle it in the real med school...

My friend who is a MS2 believes pharm in med is easier. They're doing it to weed out our class since they accepted too many students and because they don't like us. You'll be lucky if you can manage a C! Don't even think of wanting a B. Only Jesus can give you an A.

Even the 3.5+ kids are sweating. Our last day (final exam) is this Friday so we'll see who stays alive to continue to MS1.

I'm in the post bacc program as well so I can give you a different perspective from all of my other classmates.

Cocobutteran said that you guys would be lucky if you manage a C. I respect his opinion, but I would have to disagree.
Yes, pharmacology is hard, but if you put in extra time and effort early on, it'll be easier to do in the long run. Make charts. Form study groups. Figure out what works best for you for all of your classes. I managed to get an A on both of the Pharm tests so it's completely doable.

However, I do agree that you should do a grade replacement at a community college if you could. This is a last resort for many of us and if you have the luxury to improve without banking on this program, then do that instead. If you do bad in the post bac, then your chances at getting into a med school significantly decrease.

It's doable, but just think about it carefully.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the post bacc program as well so I can give you a different perspective from all of my other classmates.

Cocobutteran said that you guys would be lucky if you manage a C. I respect his opinion, but I would have to disagree.
Yes, pharmacology is hard, but if you put in extra time and effort early on, it'll be easier to do in the long run. Make charts. Form study groups. Figure out what works best for you for all of your classes. I managed to get an A on both of the Pharm tests so it's completely doable.

However, I do agree that you should do a grade replacement at a community college if you could. This is a last resort for many of us and if you have the luxury to improve without banking on this program, then do that instead. If you do bad in the post bac, then your chances at getting into a med school significantly decrease.

It's doable, but just think about it carefully.

Jesus was on your side...

Reactions: 2 users
I think my GPAs were almost identical to yours and got accepted, although I applied with my MCAT score instead of an AIS score. Did you put your ACT through the calculator to see what your equivalent was? Assuming they utilize your GPA with retakes, I think you have a pretty decent shot. You sound like you have a good amount of extracurriculars!

Thank you for the response. Very reassuring.

I did punch in my ACT/GPA into the calculator and it came out as a 110. I'm not sure what kind of AIS scores they are looking for for the post bac?

I did punch in my ACT/GPA into the calculator and it came out as a 110. I'm not sure what kind of AIS scores they are looking for for the post bac?

I don't know if you've looked through the entire thread yet, but I believe there was a discussion on scores way, way back? Maybe page 5 or 6 but it may have been in regards to the AIS score needed for the medical school rather than the post bac program...

109 is the AIS requirement for DO (you'll notice when you put info into the calculator it will either say eligible or not eligible), but for the post bac program they don't require an MCAT score or AIS. I believe your 110 would qualify you for matriculation though.

I contacted LECOM about post bacc gpa calculations and they said they only look at most recent retake anyways. So you could have applied the normal way for post bacc as well. just wanted to let ppl know that anyways

That's great to hear I have a handful of retakes that boost my gpa up, app went under review yesterday naturally I'm a nervous wreck lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So if we apply to the med school after completing the post bacc without an mcat score but a high AIS score (but obv scoring well during post bacc) we can still get in?

No you need an MCAT score for med school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to complete the application for the LECOM Postbacc program. So I had filled out an inquiry and had received a username/password a while back and I even had began working on the application a while back, yet now I can not seem to access the application anywhere. Where would I be able to access the application again as it is not appearing on the left hand side as mentioned in the email you originally receive after your inquiry is processed.

Also I have a couple of questions for admissions and I was wondering if anyone had a specific contact they had found to be very helpful. Thanks!

In the, "real med school" you're not taking pharm at the same time you're taking anatomy, and the tests for MS1's are separated by subject. 2/3 of the grade going into the final for pharm came from one massive 3.5 hour test that also included anatomy, path, and a timesuck they call intro to clinical medicine. Post-bacs don't factor into any of the stats lecom reports about student success, so they can drop half the class and not sweat it. Our class is 20% bigger than last year's but the MS1 class is the same size, you do the math on that one.

Coco left a few things off the list
6) Lecom only cares about your money
7) Your money, that's it

not trying to give out any offense to anyone here but can you explain why a non-profit school like LECOM would want to take your money for reason other than helping their students achieve their dream?

not trying to give out any offense to anyone here but can you explain why a non-profit school like LECOM would want to take your money for reason other than helping their students achieve their dream?

Let me ask LECOM why they are trying to open another med school (4th) in NY when they need to focus on their current students and their rotations. They're also starting a masters program at the Florida campus....

"non-profit" is used to pay less tax... LECOM had some deal with some school district in Erie where if it passed LECOM would have gotten a huge tax break. The community didn't like it and it was shot down.

Last edited:
In the, "real med school" you're not taking pharm at the same time you're taking anatomy, and the tests for MS1's are separated by subject. 2/3 of the grade going into the final for pharm came from one massive 3.5 hour test that also included anatomy, path, and a timesuck they call intro to clinical medicine. Post-bacs don't factor into any of the stats lecom reports about student success, so they can drop half the class and not sweat it. Our class is 20% bigger than last year's but the MS1 class is the same size, you do the math on that one.

Coco left a few things off the list
6) Lecom only cares about your money
7) Your money, that's it

I so dearly love your name. lol. btw good luck on our final exam in a couple of hours.

Anyone else having trouble logging into their portal? Was working just fine for me last night.

My status changed yesterday to a decision has been made. Has anyone else's changed recently? So nervous now until this letter comes!

just finished our final. yup more than 50% have failed.

Reactions: 3 users
just finished our final. yup more than 50% have failed.

Now don't forget to fill out your gainful employment survey, or they won't give you that F.

And am I the only one that felt like I was being fired when they made us hand in our badges and parking passes with the test?

Now don't forget to fill out your gainful employment survey, or they won't give you that F.

And am I the only one that felt like I was being fired when they made us hand in our badges and parking passes with the test?

She marched down that aisle like she was going to chop all of our heads off. It was hilarious because you can tell she was furious. Now I need to go look for another job...

It was a bit uneasy tossing our badge/parking passes into the box, but hey it's probably better than making us all line up to hand it to the security guards.
But man pharm and anat was no joke.

She marched down that aisle like she was going to chop all of our heads off. It was hilarious because you can tell she was furious. Now I need to go look for another job...

It was a bit uneasy tossing our badge/parking passes into the box, but hey it's probably better than making us all line up to hand it to the security guards.
But man pharm and anat was no joke.

It's all good though, those heartfelt e-mails they sent out after the test bragging about themselves and reminding us to stay professional really made me feel cared for.

Since you guys think this post bac is stupid what do you suggest someone with 3.6gpa and 507mcat to do..... I had one semester in undergrad that was all C's but i was interviewed for MD schools and got accepted to DO schools in south which i cannot attend to due to my family issues.... I am a PA resident.... I was also denied to lecom this cycle

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Retake the MCAT and reapply. Whether you are in this program or not you'll be applying for the next cycle, take the time (and money) you would dedicate to this program and spend a few months prepping for the test while you rack up shadowing and volunteer hours, if you're thinking DO still maybe replace a few of those C's at a CC. With your stats you have very little to gain from this kind of program, but lots to lose.

I have replaced the C's and so my gpa is 3.6 plus idk if i want to go through the mcat again so much effort and work. Do you think the post bac is way worse compared to hard university classes 3000 lvls?
I'm in your same situation, I'd just rather not take the MCAT again

I have replaced the C's and so my gpa is 3.6 plus idk if i want to go through the mcat again so much effort and work. Do you think the post bac is way worse compared to hard university classes 3000 lvls?

It's med school level (not graduate level) classes that postbacc students take so it's way harder.

A lot of the people I know in the program were like you. High GPA and mediocre MCAT. Didn't want to do the MCAT so went for LECOM.

They took out the total student loan offer (32K) to experience the LECOM culture that everyone so talks about instead of sitting their ass down to study for one test (MCAT). I know a couple of them who didn't make the cut off regret not going the MCAT retake route and have now burned their bridges to med school. Like me of course.

If you're a Low GPA/high MCAT do grade replacement.
If you're a High GPA/low MCAT do the MCAT.

So did most people not apply to other medical schools during the program?

A lot of the people I know in the program were like you. High GPA and mediocre MCAT. Didn't want to do the MCAT so went for LECOM.

They took out the total student loan offer (32K) to experience the LECOM culture that everyone so talks about instead of sitting their ass down to study for one test (MCAT). I know a couple of them who didn't make the cut off regret not going the MCAT retake route and have now burned their bridges to med school. Like me of course.

If you're a Low GPA/high MCAT do grade replacement.
If you're a High GPA/low MCAT do the MCAT.

So did most people not apply to other medical schools during the program?

Lots of people applied elsewhere, and more than a few got in, but that's kind of our point, the applications/scores that they sent out were good enough to get them accepted without this program.

Don't get me wrong, this program is a very viable option to get into medschool, but its very high risk/high reward, so I would not recommend it to anyone until they have tried and failed twice, at that point you've got nothing to lose.

Oh I see. My stats aren't the best and will be reapplying to other schools this summer. It just worries me hearing that >50% of the class failed a course when LECOM is trying to demonstrate the success of their program.

Lots of people applied elsewhere, and more than a few got in, but that's kind of our point, the applications/scores that they sent out were good enough to get them accepted without this program.

Don't get me wrong, this program is a very viable option to get into medschool, but its very high risk/high reward, so I would not recommend it to anyone until they have tried and failed twice, at that point you've got nothing to lose.

Former postbacc, current medical student here. I agree with the above poster that if you have a good GPA, low MCAT, your best course of action is to spend some time to retake the MCAT.

High risk, high reward is the very essence of these Special Master/Postbacc programs; this fact is mentioned over and over again in almost every single thread in this section of the forum. You cannot miss it. It gives you 1 try to prove that you can handle medical school classes, and if you failed, time to consider other professions, or the Caribbeans. Before sending in the acceptance form, you should know this fact already and it should be on your mind all the time.

That being said, this program has been around for years and it has gotten hundreds if not thousands of premeds with uncompetitive stats into medical schools; and most of these students have been doing quite well in medical school and beyond. The value of the program is proven; and I am not here to argue this point. If you failed out of this program, you are simply not ready for medical school.

The entrance stats into the program are LOW, probably one of the lowest among all SMPs in the US. I would not be surprised that the people who happened to be at the lower end of the spectrum, who did not try hard enough and weren’t able to keep up or just simply don't have it in them, failed out. 50% got in, 60%, 70% got in, those numbers are meaningless; weaker students failed out, simple as that. All you need to know is the program has a track record of getting people into medical school and you should try your best to be way above average when you are in the program and stay out of troubles.

To the people that have been accepted into the program and decided to be here in the Fall, Congratulations! Be prepared to work your butt off. The classes are challenging but not impossible. After all, this is medical school level courses, and you should expect no less. The postbacc students have classes from 1-6pm every day, most of the time, you will get out at 4ish. That leaves your mornings and evenings wide open, use this free time to study.

The 1st year medical students, especially LDP, have half as much free time and twice as much material to cover, and they are doing it just fine, if you think you are ready for medical school, there should be no reason for you to be failing any of the postbacc classes. Your curriculum is a watered down version of 1st year classes.

It’s true that the first years don’t take Anatomy and Pharm together but we take OPP (lecture/lab- a practical every 2 weeks, a written exam every 3 weeks), H and P (lab and practical), Biostatistics, Doctoring classes (interprofessional, medical jurisprudence, human sexuality) along the cores and systems. Sometimes, 2 3 exams lined up in the same week and it makes your postbacc exams seem silly. Medical students that are in the accelerated pathway (PCSP) also have to shadow doctors for 4 hours a week every few weeks.

Once you get here, your #1 priority is to get the best grade possible in every single class. You are here to get into medical schools, do not try to butthead with the admins/professors (this year class tried it, did not end well for them), you are the lowest on the totem pole, don’t even think that your opinions matter and you can change the system. They are receptive to feedbacks but you have to voice it through appropriate channels and most important of all, professionally.

I have also heard that this year postbacc class does not have a very good reputation. I was a tutor for a few of the postbacc students and I heard my fair share of stories: a few weeks into the program, postbacc students got into a fight with the med students at a bar downtown, postbacc students get drunk and do stupid ****, get reported back to the school, postbacc students running around acting like they made it, student who refused to move their seat during breakout/discussion session. So yeah, you don’t get the full story from these posts; this year class has earned quite a reputation for themselves, if I were on the admission committee, I would be skeptical as well. If I were your administrative assistant, I would be annoyed as well. If you are the type of people who often find themselves in these kinds of situation, well, good luck! There are plenty of students this year who did really well in the Postbacc and got accepted into medical schools. Be like them!

Anyways, the incoming postbaccs, feel free to PM me with any questions. Like I said, hundreds if not thousands of people before you have done it and you can too. I don’t defend LECOM, the school is far from perfect, but without the program I would not be where I am today. I am not here to argue the legitimacy of the program, it has been around for years and if it were as bad as these guys made it out to be, they would be out of business a long time ago.

Reactions: 14 users
Former postbacc, current medical student here. I agree with the above poster that if you have a good GPA, low MCAT, your best course of action is to spend some time to retake the MCAT.

High risk, high reward is the very essence of these Special Master/Postbacc programs; this fact is mentioned over and over again in almost every single thread in this section of the forum. You cannot miss it. It gives you 1 try to prove that you can handle medical school classes, and if you failed, time to consider other professions, or the Caribbeans. Before sending in the acceptance form, you should know this fact already and it should be on your mind all the time.

That being said, this program has been around for years and it has gotten hundreds if not thousands of premeds with uncompetitive stats into medical schools; and most of these students have been doing quite well in medical school and beyond. The value of the program is proven; and I am not here to argue this point. If you failed out of this program, you are simply not ready for medical school.

The entrance stats into the program are LOW, probably one of the lowest among all SMPs in the US. I would not be surprised that the people who happened to be at the lower end of the spectrum, who did not try hard enough and weren’t able to keep up or just simply don't have it in them, failed out. 50% got in, 60%, 70% got in, those numbers are meaningless; weaker students failed out, simple as that. All you need to know is the program has a track record of getting people into medical school and you should try your best to be way above average when you are in the program and stay out of troubles.

To the people that have been accepted into the program and decided to be here in the Fall, Congratulations! Be prepared to work your butt off. The classes are challenging but not impossible. After all, this is medical school level courses, and you should expect no less. The postbacc students have classes from 1-6pm every day, most of the time, you will get out at 4ish. That leaves your mornings and evenings wide open, use this free time to study.

The 1st year medical students, especially LDP, have half as much free time and twice as much material to cover, and they are doing it just fine, if you think you are ready for medical school, there should be no reason for you to be failing any of the postbacc classes. Your curriculum is a watered down version of 1st year classes.

It’s true that the first years don’t take Anatomy and Pharm together but we take OPP (lecture/lab- a practical every 2 weeks, a written exam every 3 weeks), H and P (lab and practical), Biostatistics, Doctoring classes (interprofessional, medical jurisprudence, human sexuality) along the cores and systems. Sometimes, 2 3 exams lined up in the same week and it makes your postbacc exams seem silly. Medical students that are in the accelerated pathway (PCSP) also have to shadow doctors for 4 hours a week every few weeks.

Once you get here, your #1 priority is to get the best grade possible in every single class. You are here to get into medical schools, do not try to butthead with the admins/professors (this year class tried it, did not end well for them), you are the lowest on the totem pole, don’t even think that your opinions matter and you can change the system. They are receptive to feedbacks but you have to voice it through appropriate channels and most important of all, professionally.

I have also heard that this year postbacc class does not have a very good reputation. I was a tutor for a few of the postbacc students and I heard my fair share of stories: a few weeks into the program, postbacc students got into a fight with the med students at a bar downtown, postbacc students get drunk and do stupid ****, get reported back to the school, postbacc students running around acting like they made it, student who refused to move their seat during breakout/discussion session. So yeah, you don’t get the full story from these posts; this year class has earned quite a reputation for themselves, if I were on the admission committee, I would be skeptical as well. If I were your administrative assistant, I would be annoyed as well. If you are the type of people who often find themselves in these kinds of situation, well, good luck! There are plenty of students this year who did really well in the Postbacc and got accepted into medical schools. Be like them!

Anyways, the incoming postbaccs, feel free to PM me with any questions. Like I said, hundreds if not thousands of people before you have done it and you can too. I don’t defend LECOM, the school is far from perfect, but without the program I would not be where I am today. I am not here to argue the legitimacy of the program, it has been around for years and if it were as bad as these guys made it out to be, they would be out of business a long time ago.

download (3).jpg

I agree with you on this statement, "are the lowest on the totem pole, don’t even think that your opinions matter and you can change the system."

We all worked our butts off and we still didn't get in. It was only a few people out of 150 causing trouble. People were breaking down because of Pharm. From what I've heard, for your year pharm was easy. But for us they hated us because of a few students causing trouble and thus decided to fail more than 50% of the class with pharm.

For kids wanting to do this program. Don't do it if you have other options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

I recently got accepted into LECOM's post bacc program.
I understand that there is alot of disagreement over Pharm.

However, can current or former post baccs shed some light on how to succeed in this class and others?
Was there something you would have done differently looking back now?

Does LECOM try to weed students out of their post-bacc program?

This is all new to me so any advice you have would be great.

Thank you!

I think going to the June 10th meeting with post bac students would be good

Definitely been thinking the same thing. However, I wonder if the students will be biased to only say good things about the school during the open house since they're trying to recruit us to go there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I went to the open house and was brainwashed into thinking that LECOM cares about all their students. The post-bac students who greated us at the open house were all really nice too. HOWEVER, once school started and once LECOM had your tuition it was a different story. I found out that the post bacc students at the open house were gunners... They were hand picked by LECOM admin to represent the post bac program. If you want to get brain washed go right on ahead.

Those who did well in the program will speak for the program and those who didn't do well won't speak about the downfalls of LECOM therefore you will hear a lot of defense for the program.

Do you guys think it's worth it to pay extra money to live next to school in Laurel Springs/Laurel Ridge? How bad is it to drive to school during the winter/heavy snow?

I understand that the administration at LECOM is poor, however, do they try to weed students out of the program?

If students perform poorly in pharm is this because the professors were unfair or because the volume of material was too great?

I also believe the open house will be biased, which is why I look to sdn for honest opinions.

Any responses from post-bacc students would be great.

If it's this is the last resort and you've exhausted all other options, then do the program. Otherwise, don't risk it because if you fail, it's almost the end of the line.

I will mention the classes which weeded people out from fall and spring semester.

Fall:
Physiology - hardest course of fall semester and bad professors teaching it. Look at brs physio for help.

Biochemistry

Histology - many pictures look the same and the quality of the questions on the tests were a joke.

Critical Thinking - dumbest time consuming class that we had to take but it wasn't hard.

Spring:
Immunology - one test was around 70% of our grade and it was 100+ questions

Anatomy - there are many sources which could be tested.

PHARMACOLOGY - the level at which they teach us and the material they test us on do not correlate. We had to learn how to interpret some of the graphs they put on the test during the test.

While there are nuisances about the program that have been previously addressed, you will get in if you meet their requirements. Yes, they do try to weed people out(don't let anyone tell you otherwise). They will also treat you like children on such miniscule issues like finishing some gainful employment survey. But when they tell you that you will get into their medical school given you meet their requirements, you will.

Like Unomas said, it's a high risk high reward. It worked for me and it could work for you or it could completely backfire. So think about it carefully.

Side note: my apologies to anyone who sent me a pm. I only made this account because I wanted to give an honest description of Lecom and the adminstration tends to lurk on Facebook and sdn so I don't go on this account often.

Last edited:
Do you guys think it's worth it to pay extra money to live next to school in Laurel Springs/Laurel Ridge? How bad is it to drive to school during the winter/heavy snow?

Depends on what you're driving, so long as it's not a little rear-wheel drive sedan you should be ok. Really, Laurel is not that badly priced and they're pretty nice apartments actually.

My status changed yesterday to a decision has been made. Has anyone else's changed recently? So nervous now until this letter comes!
When did you apply? If you don't mind me asking. My application was complete 4/15, so it's only been one business day since then. I hope I didn't apply too late lol. Good luck!