LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@FutureDoctorChloe do you mind sharing your stats. I will be using AIS most likely so I was wondering what your AIS was and your sGPA and cGPA are like?
Also, does anyone know if they have another method of sending recommendations.

My AIS was 122, GPA 3.41 overall, unsure science GPA exactly but it was definitely below a 3.0, probably around a 2.8.

Members don't see this ad.

Jesus my stats blow

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have an old MCAT of 31. and an AIS of 124 with cGPA 3.55 and sGPA 3.34. I have sent most of documents in and my MCAT will be >2yrs old this june. Also, how do they accept interfolio.
Have your documents uploaded to interfolio and click on start delivery. LECOM should already be preloaded onto their system and choose the option for e delivery. Alternatively if you already have the LORs on hand you can upload them yourself instead of requesting your recommender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter in the mail today :)

Reactions: 1 users
My fellow classmates (current postbacs) Finally My status changed!

Super scared. does the size of the envelope matter? Big = acceptance into class of 2020. Small = alternate list/rejected.

Reactions: 1 user

Super scared. does the size of the envelope matter? Big = acceptance into class of 2020. Small = alternate list/rejected.
From what I know they both come in the same size letter envelope with 1 paper inside

Do any of the current students at LECOM's post-bac know the latest date a student has been accepted into this program? Would you recommend an applicant apply asap with a 40 percentile MCAT?

Do any of the current students at LECOM's post-bac know the latest date a student has been accepted into this program? Would you recommend an applicant apply asap with a 40 percentile MCAT?
Someone said on the forum they were accepted a week or two prior to the start of the semester. Be prepared to have a stellar application if you are going to apply that late. And if you already have 40th percentile then apply!

Just got my acceptance letter today! So excited

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Looking forward to September

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone who is studying for mcat want to make a study group congrats to the accepted

Ppl with iPhones should the app sdn it's like texting and way faster

It'll be a normal sized envelope, but it'll be super thick with all the forms you'll have to fill out if it's an acceptance haha. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people typically get accepted/how big our class size will be?

Does anyone know how many people typically get accepted/how big our class size will be?

2015-2016 class started out with a combined 150 students for the Med+Dental post-bacc program

It'll be a normal sized envelope, but it'll be super thick with all the forms you'll have to fill out if it's an acceptance haha. Good luck!
Okay i wouldn't misguide everyone and say its "super thick". My acceptance letter came with 2 pieces of paper, acceptance letter on slightly fancy LECOM letterhead and the second page is just regular printer paper. Hard to tell theres 1 or 2 pieces of paper in that envelope. Everything was messed up anyways since the pineapple express decided to do its thing here in CA when the mail man came and I opened the letter in the rain.

Has there been any rejections yet

Has there been any rejections yet

My friend in the program now said her friend got rejected after 3 days of review

My friend in the program now said her friend got rejected after 3 days of review

Damn. I'm sure nobody here would talk about their rejection anyway.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Hey guys I'm a 4th year LECOM medical student with available housing for rent. It's a 3 bedroom 1 bath house in a safe neighborhood with hardwood floors, huge kitchen, 2 car driveway, big backyard, laundry and dryer in the basement, and lots of storage space. Within 5 minute drive to grocery store, asian food store (maybe the only one in Erie), banks, post office, and is within 10 minutes drive from LECOM and wellness center. No pets allowed.

I have a video tour of the house in this link below.
https://www.facebook.com/howard.chang.980/videos/10152386410523501/?l=7803168878794192300

Rent is $1000/month. Water, garbage/sewage, lawn mowing is included.
Available for lease starting July 15. Current tenant is willing to move out as early as May 15.

Good luck guys. A lot of my friends at LECOM started in the postbac program and I think they were among the strongest students in MS1 and MS2. I was told that the postbac program really prepares you well for med school. Hope to see you guys as part of the LECOM alumni network in the near future!

Just got my acceptance letter last week to this post bac. Everything I have been reading so far sounds really good!

Okay i wouldn't misguide everyone and say its "super thick". My acceptance letter came with 2 pieces of paper, acceptance letter on slightly fancy LECOM letterhead and the second page is just regular printer paper. Hard to tell theres 1 or 2 pieces of paper in that envelope. Everything was messed up anyways since the pineapple express decided to do its thing here in CA when the mail man came and I opened the letter in the rain.

I think Lemurlux is a current Post-bac student, and he/she was referencing the acceptance letter for LECOM's medical school which is in fact, very thick if it's an acceptance.

For the post-bac acceptance letter, you're correct when you said it should be one or two pieces of papers. I should have clarified in my reply to Lemurlux. Apologies to everyone who got confused!

I just want to get some opinions on my chances of being accepted to the post-bacc program because my stats are pretty low.

My cGPA is a 3.1 and science 2.8.
I took the Mcat in 2014 and got a 23, but I am planning on taking it again at the end of the summer.
I have over 1,800 hours of medical scribe work between an Emergency Department and an Orthopedic office.
I also have 65 hours of shadowing
I have multiple other forms of community service.

I just want to get some opinions on my chances of being accepted to the post-bacc program because my stats are pretty low.

My cGPA is a 3.1 and science 2.8.
I took the Mcat in 2014 and got a 23, but I am planning on taking it again at the end of the summer.
I have over 1,800 hours of medical scribe work between an Emergency Department and an Orthopedic office.
I also have 65 hours of shadowing
I have multiple other forms of community service.

I have similar stats and was accepted.

Any reason for your withdrawal?

Hey DrKB, withdrawing for personal reasons. Reapplying next year; Mr. Murphy said it shouldn't affect my application negatively next year. Good luck!!

Hey DrKB, withdrawing for personal reasons. Reapplying next year; Mr. Murphy said it shouldn't affect my application for negatively next year. Good luck!!
Hey no problem. Enjoy your time man. Best of luck to you too.

Hello all. I'm currently in the program so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me. I'm studying for anatomy at the moment, but I find myself lurking on this forum haha

Were there any subjects in the first semester that you wish you could have had more time to study for? Or, to phrase is differently, what subjects stuck out as the hardest, and how can we (those of us going into the program) best spend the next few months preparing for the classes?

Were there any subjects in the first semester that you wish you could have had more time to study for? Or, to phrase is differently, what subjects stuck out as the hardest, and how can we (those of us going into the program) best spend the next few months preparing for the classes?

Just in case you or anyone else looking on the forum doesn't know the curriculum, we took 7 classes first semester: Physiology (5), Biochem(3), Cell biology(2), Microbiology (2) , Histology (1), Critical Thinking (1), Genetics (1). The numbers correspond to the credit hours.

For me, the hardest classes were Physiology and Histology. Physiology was hard because it required a lot of applying what we learned and not pure memorization. Some lectures weren't as clear so I had to rely on other sources (BRS physio is a good one). I also never took a physio course in undergrad so that didn't helped. Histology was hard because all the pictures look the same to me and the figures we're looking at can be minuscule and blurred. The rest of the classes just required time and memorization.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't really do much preparing before school starts. Just enjoy the time you have with your family and friends so you don't get burnt out during the middle of school. You'll be studying nonstop when you start so you'll have time to learn the material. I didn't prepare and I did just fine during the fall. If it's something you absolutely must do, then look over Physiology since it's the first class you start with.

Hopefully that helped. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Just in case you or anyone else looking on the forum doesn't know the curriculum, we took 7 classes first semester: Physiology (5), Biochem(3), Cell biology(2), Microbiology (2) , Histology (1), Critical Thinking (1), Genetics (1). The numbers correspond to the credit hours.

For me, the hardest classes were Physiology and Histology. Physiology was hard because it required a lot of applying what we learned and not pure memorization. Some lectures weren't as clear so I had to rely on other sources (BRS physio is a good one). I also never took a physio course in undergrad so that didn't helped. Histology was hard because all the pictures look the same to me and the figures we're looking at can be minuscule and blurred. The rest of the classes just required time and memorization.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't really do much preparing before school starts. Just enjoy the time you have with your family and friends so you don't get burnt out during the middle of school. You'll be studying nonstop when you start so you'll have time to learn the material. I didn't prepare and I did just fine during the fall. If it's something you absolutely must do, then look over Physiology since it's the first class you start with.

What recommendations do you have for mastering the material? Also what percentage of the post bacc class was accepted into the medical school this year?

Yup I have been looking at the classes on the LECOM website but I don't think I found them broken down into credit hours. Thanks for your advice! I will certainly make sure to enjoy this summer as much as I can.

Does anyone have any advice on where to live while in the program?

What recommendations do you have for mastering the material? Also what percentage of the post bacc class was accepted into the medical school this year?

For physiology, look at the BRS physio books and do those practice problems. The material in that book is more dense than what you'll be learning, but it really helped solidify some of the topics that you'll see. For critical thinking, you'll have about three tests based on just memorizing medical terms and the rest on reading scientific articles and answering questions about them. Don't sleep on this class though because it's just as easy to get an A or a B by one or two points. Every other class is just going over lecture powerpoints and understanding what was taught for the day.
My other classmates will probably chime in with their own perspective, but that was what worked for me. I don't know the percentage of people that got into the medical school because some people are still waiting for their end of the semester GPAs to see if they got in or not.

Does anyone have any advice on where to live while in the program?
I say live close to school. Laurel Ridge/Laurel Springs is a convenient spot to live at since the apartments are right next to LECOM. Some people I know live in the houses in the general area too, but I'm not sure how they found them. The gym is close by, there's stores and such, and it's especially convenient when there's snow or you don't want to drive. I live in downtown Erie at the moment and while it's perfectly doable, most of the people I study with/hang out with live near LECOM. The only nice thing about living in downtown Erie is being near the bars.

For physiology, look at the BRS physio books and do those practice problems. The material in that book is more dense than what you'll be learning, but it really helped solidify some of the topics that you'll see. For critical thinking, you'll have about three tests based on just memorizing medical terms and the rest on reading scientific articles and answering questions about them. Don't sleep on this class though because it's just as easy to get an A or a B by one or two points. Every other class is just going over lecture powerpoints and understanding what was taught for the day.
My other classmates will probably chime in with their own perspective, but that was what worked for me. I don't know the percentage of people that got into the medical school because some people are still waiting for their end of the semester GPAs to see if they got in or not.

I say live close to school. Laurel Ridge/Laurel Springs is a convenient spot to live at since the apartments are right next to LECOM. Some people I know live in the houses in the general area too, but I'm not sure how they found them. The gym is close by, there's stores and such, and it's especially convenient when there's snow or you don't want to drive. I live in downtown Erie at the moment and while it's perfectly doable, most of the people I study with/hang out with live near LECOM. The only nice thing about living in downtown Erie is being near the bars.
Do you definitely need a car to go there? I live in NYC so I am concerned about not being able to walk everywhere lol.

Do you definitely need a car to go there? I live in NYC so I am concerned about not being able to walk everywhere lol.

Yes you need a car. And good tires, it snows like mother russia and they dont clean it up

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes you need a car. And good tires, it snows like mother russia and they dont clean it up

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
As a Californian I drove in chains for the first time last weekend up in Lake Tahoe while on a snowboarding trip. Never had to do that in my life. It was only 10-15 miles over the mountain pass but still nerve wracking. Guess I'll have to get used to driving like that

Received my acceptance a couple weeks ago, hooray.

Thanks d13anny for the awesome housing recommendation; just checked it out.

I'm coming from NYC, so these housing prices are phenomenal! Debating cost/benefit of getting a 1BR vs sharing a 2-3BR...

Reactions: 4 users
FYI for incoming postbaccs.

Pharmacology is going to kick your ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
As a Californian I drove in chains for the first time last weekend up in Lake Tahoe while on a snowboarding trip. Never had to do that in my life. It was only 10-15 miles over the mountain pass but still nerve wracking. Guess I'll have to get used to driving like that

I'm also from California. I tried driving with chains in Erie, and it was terrible. I wouldn't recommend it because they sometimes clean the roads and driving with chains on bare roads is bad for your car - you probably know that though. I ended up just using my all-season tires I got from home, and I was fine. Most of the locals suggest getting snow tires, but it really depends on the driver because chains and snow tires can only do so much for you. Just be extra cautious and keep a considerable distance and you'll be fine.

Yes. What Pisiform said is correct. If you choose to live in the apartments across from the school, you could probably walk to and from school and back. Grandview, which is the street that LECOM is on has a small section where there are sidewalks. You're just walking on the street most of the time. Most places are not far at all driving wise (within 2-3 miles).

You could also Uber everywhere or make friends with cars and have them drive you everywhere haha.

Side note: In case anyone considers riding their bikes to school, I have yet to see a person actually do that. To my knowledge, LECOM doesn't have any bike racks for us to store our bikes so I wouldn't recommend that either.

Did anyone pay deposit. Just wondering how many days one has to decide to pay deposit?

Did anyone pay deposit. Just wondering how many days one has to decide to pay deposit?
I paid mine, and I think I had about a month to make a decision. That might be a little bit off though, I don't have the letter in front of me.

Is it online by cc or they like money order or something of that sort.