LMU-DCOM Class of 2011 continued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone find out why the USMLE Road Map Gross Anatomy was changed from the 1st edition to the 2nd edition? I've got the 1st edition already.

I also didn't realize the diagnostic kits included stethoscopes. I already have a Littman Cardiology III with my name engraved and everything!

I just received an e-mail from Amazon saying that Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics has an estimate date of arrival around mid to late September!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone find out why the USMLE Road Map Gross Anatomy was changed from the 1st edition to the 2nd edition? I've got the 1st edition already.

I also didn't realize the diagnostic kits included stethoscopes. I already have a Littman Cardiology III with my name engraved and everything!

I just received an e-mail from Amazon saying that Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics has an estimate date of arrival around mid to late September!

i stopped buying books coz i was told by a lot of my med school buddies that it would be smart to wait till you get to school and see what you really need. You should have enough time to pick your books after school starts, in regards to the steth, you have a good one. I will prolly be ordering cardiology master as well ..you can just buy the diagnostic kit without the steth so no reason to worry.

Hi Guys,

I just got pulled off the wait list last week. I'm going to be living in the student housing, but can't really get to TN (From CA) until the 28th or 29th. Do you think that is going to be a problem? I haven't received any paperwork from DCOM so I don't know what dates they are looking at for moving in (and the office isn't too helpful).

Everything is so spread out over there I would assume a car is necessary, but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

See you in a few weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

I just got pulled off the wait list last week. I'm going to be living in the student housing, but can't really get to TN (From CA) until the 28th or 29th. Do you think that is going to be a problem? I haven't received any paperwork from DCOM so I don't know what dates they are looking at for moving in (and the office isn't too helpful).

Everything is so spread out over there I would assume a car is necessary, but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

See you in a few weeks!

-Myles

Well a car in a place like harrogate would be like the must thing to have...in regards to the apt i am a lil pissed that i can't move in until may 29th coz that seriously screws up all the plans my family made to help me move in that weekend..i been calling the residential director's office to confirm the date but she is not in office. However, i will try and request to prepone the date to perhaps the 21st? i dont know. By the way congrats on your acceptance!

Hi Guys,

See you in a few weeks!

-Myles

Well I live down in Orange County. I'm driving there with my father because I have my car and other things I want to bring with me. Its going to take about 4 days of driving with my father and I arriving in harrogate on the 4th day around 12-1pm. So if you are planning on driving, you should leave earlier unless you are just flying there. We are leaving the 25th and arriving the 28th when hopefully the apartments will for sure be open.

I suppose you could leave the 28th if you are driving but you are pushing it.

You were asking about dates, well the apartments are probably going to open on July 28th. They could open earlier though. Orientation starts Aug. 1st. If you are not at orientation at the start, you are not in the class apparently.

Shauna

Even if they finish the building on time, I am concerned about everything being set up when we get there. The electronics are going to take a while to install. I wonder if the wireless internet and everything is going to be up to snuff when we get there and gets our new lappies goin.

On a separate note, I'm going to be moving into my house in a couple weeks and I was wondering if anyone knew what I needed to do in order to set up gas, water, power, internet, tv, etc.? who is everyone that is not living in the dorms using?
Cable
http://www.communicomm.com/

Electric (we live off 63 in Cumberland Gap)
http://www.lub.org/

Phone is through Bell South

Bank (they have atm locations on campus)
http://www.cbtn.com/a_location.htm

I don't have the information on water however because we have well water

I also forgot to tell you that dish network is in the area too. We decided to use dish because the cable company's customer service was a bit questionable.
http://dishnetwork.com/

I think you can get cable through Bell South/ AT&T. My mom works for Suthwesternbell, and is trying to get me the hookup for internet,cable, phone through them.

Hi! I'm in the DCOM class and just singed up on SDN. Looking forward to meeting everyone!:D

Welcome everybody new.... Hey who else is planning on moving down on the 20th? I set everything up for that day and I cant really change my plans, all my help took that day off to drive down there with me. Just wondering if Im the only one who planned on that day?

Welcome everybody new.... Hey who else is planning on moving down on the 20th? I set everything up for that day and I cant really change my plans, all my help took that day off to drive down there with me. Just wondering if Im the only one who planned on that day?

wait what? Aren't you living in the renovated apts..the check in date is july 29th, so how do you plan to live until then?

are you going to live in the dorm?
if so, where are you going to keep all of you stuff until move in.

I am driving up Sunday, and will hopefully make it in by Monday morning! I cannot wait to see how everything is moving.

Members don't see this ad :)
My love for you all is fast and furious.

Well we were originally told that the apartments were going to open on the 29th then they changed it to July 20th and we were told we could move in then, so I planned to move in on that date. Ive got 2 emails saying that thats when we could move in, then they changed it back to the 29th. I had already made my plans to move down for the 20th so I guess Ill just have to figure something out once I get down there. I guess they will put us up in the dorms until we can move into the apartments or maybe they will have a few of the apartments up and ready for those who are down there early.

Do you guys know the address to the DCOM Apts??? Im gonna have to UPS alot of clothes and junk cuz it doesnt fit in my car!!! Does anyone have pics of the bathrooms in the apts???

I think you can get cable through Bell South/ AT&T. My mom works for Suthwesternbell, and is trying to get me the hookup for internet,cable, phone through them.

AT&T doesn't offer cable in Tennessee as of right now. There is a measure on the state legislature to block them from selling it....I don't know why, exactly, but as of right now it's local cable company, satellite, or nothing.

Do you guys know the address to the DCOM Apts??? Im gonna have to UPS alot of clothes and junk cuz it doesnt fit in my car!!! Does anyone have pics of the bathrooms in the apts???

You might want to shop around before shipping your stuff. Several years ago when I shipped two big boxes of clothes it was much cheaper to use the US Postal Service than FedEx or UPS.

You might want to shop around before shipping your stuff. Several years ago when I shipped two big boxes of clothes it was much cheaper to use the US Postal Service than FedEx or UPS.

Yeah, im actually using USPS but UPS was one letter shorter to write! I was just feeling kindda lazy!!!

For those of you wondering about the apartments, there was some info in an email Dr. Leo sent a couple of days ago. Here is the excerpt regarding the housing:

Housing

Since there have been a bunch of questions about the housing I just wanted to clarify a couple of things. The actual units are finished. However, there is still some touch-up work, some work on the exterior (patio, sidewalks, etc), and some work on the data lines for the computers and cable TV that needs to be finished. The building will definitely be finished on the 28th but maybe as early as the 20th. I wish I could be more exact but it is hard when dealing with contractors. I go out there every day and beg and plead to get the building finished by the 20th.

For those living in the housing, there the three potential categories that I can think of. I imagine that each of you falls into one of these:

1) If you live out of town and are planning a big move with helpers, parents, siblings, and so forth and you want a definite move-in date then you should plan for the 28th.

2) If you live close and are simply going to drive here and move in whenever the building is ready then I would just hang tight. I will let you know when it is complete and when the building is ready then you can drive up and move-in.

3) If you have already made plans, like plane reservations or truck rentals, and you arrive on the 20th and the building is not ready then we can provide you with a temporary dorm room. If you fall into this third category it would be great if you could let me know so I can get an idea of how many dorm rooms I should start planning for.

Once the building is open there will be two check-in times per day. From 12-1 and from 4-5.

Hope this helps you guys out!!! See you all soon :eek: :scared: :D

Hey I know that youguys have posted dozens of times links about housing and places to find it but since there are so many DCOM pages and I'm kinda pushed for time, I was wondering if any of you know which newspapers I should be looking in for a place to rent... or rental companies. I just got accepted yesterday, live across the country, and will be coming down with my boyfriend and dog following shortly behind. I have no clue what towns surrounding Harrogate would be good jobwise for him, or would be good towns for us to live in where we could each commute a short ways. Anyone who's already down there or is familar with the area a bit... if you have any insight I would REALLY appreciate it!!!!:) Thanks so much!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on flying out the 29th. Jody they would accommodate me moving in at a bizarre time on the 30th.

I feel like showing up as late as possible since the dorms may not be totally finished. Plus, there is just orientation and 1 day of class before a weekend that I could use to unpack.

(Anybody else rock climb/scuba). Lots of great climbing in Tenn, but not so much SCUBA.....

Hello- I have two questions..

1) For anyone that is living in the University housing. Do you have a contract signed already? I got accepted a few weeks ago and sent in my forms on June 29th and still havent heard anything back from the school saying that I have a place. I've tried emailing Jody and all I got back was that he said I should be on the list but he'd ask Dr. Leo- just wanted to check with someone before I call.

2) Cell phones- I have alltel and I looked at their coverage and all of Tennessee is covered but some of Kentucky isn't and I'm not sure but I'm afraid that is where we are goign to be. Does anyone know of a good cell phone company to go through in case mine doesn't work?

Oh, one more thing. Blake- I think we may have had our interviews at the same time (mid-Feb.)- I remember a guy from Dallas that went to Vanderbilt.
:)

Thanks!

Amelia

1) For anyone that is living in the University housing. Do you have a contract signed already? I got accepted a few weeks ago and sent in my forms on June 29th and still havent heard anything back from the school saying that I have a place. I've tried emailing Jody and all I got back was that he said I should be on the list but he'd ask Dr. Leo- just wanted to check with someone before I call.

2) Cell phones- I have alltel and I looked at their coverage and all of Tennessee is covered but some of Kentucky isn't and I'm not sure but I'm afraid that is where we are goign to be. Does anyone know of a good cell phone company to go through in case mine doesn't work?

Oh, one more thing. Blake- I think we may have had our interviews at the same time (mid-Feb.)- I remember a guy from Dallas that went to Vanderbilt.

Thanks!

Amelia

I have alltel and I get service everywhere I go here except a few remote places. But I even get service in Middlesboro...so alltel should be fine

:)

Thanks!

Amelia

Yep, that's me....great to hear we both got in. I look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks. Have you been posting on here before?

Hi! I'm in the DCOM class and just singed up on SDN. Looking forward to meeting everyone!:D

Are you planning going into Forensic Pathology? I read you bio on the other thread. Pretty cool stuff. It looks like we'll have a CSI at DCOM now. I was thinking about forensic path (among others) myself - cool stuff.

It has been a loong time since I posted anything on DCOM threads. So, I just feel like I have to put few words down lol. Everybody excited about moving?
It sucks that we can't move into apartments before 28th-29th. It will be such a rush to settle in, to buy all needed things and get some rest before stress starts.:D

Does anyone know how well cell service is for Verizon or Cingular in the Harrogate/Middlesboro area?

Does anyone know how well cell service is for Verizon or Cingular in the Harrogate/Middlesboro area?

When I had my interview in November Cingular worked great! Now I have T-Mobile. Does anyone know if T-Mobile works in that area???

When I had my interview in November Cingular worked great! Now I have T-Mobile. Does anyone know if T-Mobile works in that area???

I have T-mobile and it worked when I was overthere.

I have cingular which is now AT&T and it works great. I have been up to LMU several times this week and I have not had any loss of service. Also, I have had Cingular in East Tn since 1998 and never have any problems with the service or reception.

Last time my wife and I were down in TN, our Verizon phone wasn't very good. It had only one bar most of the time and actually connecting a call was difficult. Our realtor told us that Cingular (or AT&T) is the best and that it doesn't lose a signal at all. When we are driving around, her phone worked constantly while ours did not. Also, Verizon does not work in Middlesboro for most of the phones. I have a Razr and it did not work, but my wife has a cheaper phone (that picks up an analog signal) and it was OK, but not great. We plan on switching to AT&T once we get down there.

Hope you guys watch the NASCAR race this weekend. It is in Chicago and we will be working at the track. It is a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. Hopefully Gordon wins again!!!

just wanted to publicly thank you all guys for helping me so much...you all rock:bow::banana::biglove:
doctormom (my editor:D), nascar(my other ps and secondary essays editor:D), ema (my balkan hunger strike buddy ;) ), jamie,lrobin, froggie...
all of you...
i have mailed in my DCOM secondary today *crosses fingers:luck:
and i hope i see you all soon at my DCOM interview:D

just wanted to publicly thank you all guys for helping me so much...you all rock:bow::banana::biglove:
doctormom (my editor:D), nascar(my other ps and secondary essays editor:D), ema (my balkan hunger strike buddy ;) ), jamie,lrobin, froggie...
all of you...
i have mailed in my DCOM secondary today *crosses fingers:luck:
and i hope i see you all soon at my DCOM interview:D

That's great you got your application completed so quickly! :thumbup: Way to go and best of luck. Let us know when the interview is so we can cheer you on! :biglove:

PS - I love the 35 seconds of fame clip. That is so amazing!!

That's great you got your application completed so quickly! :thumbup: Way to go and best of luck. Let us know when the interview is so we can cheer you on! :biglove:

PS - I love the 35 seconds of fame clip. That is so amazing!!

i am still waiting on my DO lor and i know if may be hard to get interview with my crappy mcat but i am staying possitive:luck:

and thanks for liking my 35 seconds of fame:D

i am still waiting on my DO lor and i know if may be hard to get interview with my crappy mcat but i am staying possitive:luck:

and thanks for liking my 35 seconds of fame:D

You are welcome girl. I am so glad that you have completed all the stuff so early. See you soon at DCOM;)

Hope you guys watch the NASCAR race this weekend. It is in Chicago and we will be working at the track. It is a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. Hopefully Gordon wins again!!!

Have fun working the track. What exactly are you doing?

One of the ER docs I worked with in Ft. Worth coordinated medical care for some of the races across the country. He hooked up our docs to be the track doctors in the pit at some of the big races around the country. I think that would be really cool - a perk of the job! Hopefully they would never need the services...

Yeah...hooo.

Lived in Joshua Tree every weekend during college.:cool::cool::cool:
Don't know if you'll find much climbing in TN...
Anyway, I haven't climbed in ....uh well since I started having kids.:laugh:

Best lead was a 5.10b.
Comfy at 5.9 now.

We'll have to find a way to climb the outlook over the gap !!:D

Is anyone sure about what business casual means? Do we need to be dressed as such everyday we're in lectures no matter what? I live in my tevas, shorts and tanks, so this will be hard for me!! I hardly have any business casual clothes... so I might be wearing the same thing a lot!!!

Is anyone sure about what business casual means? Do we need to be dressed as such everyday we're in lectures no matter what? I live in my tevas, shorts and tanks, so this will be hard for me!! I hardly have any business casual clothes... so I might be wearing the same thing a lot!!!

They say business casual 7:30 - 4:30 pm. The handbook is online at the dcom website. You can wear jeans, but no t-shirts, tanks or sandels.

They say business casual 7:30 - 4:30 pm. The handbook is online at the dcom website. You can wear jeans, but no t-shirts, tanks or sandels.

well...they said they want feedback from the inaugural class. i think this can be the first rule we get changed:laugh:

When I interviewed I was told the dress code was that girls could wear t-shirts and guys had to wear shirts with collars. I know that doesn't seem fair, but I was wondering if anyone else was told that also.

When I interviewed I was told the dress code was that girls could wear t-shirts and guys had to wear shirts with collars. I know that doesn't seem fair, but I was wondering if anyone else was told that also.

i feel like as long as you dont present yourself as a bum and wear something decent with no profanity or silly quotes on your t-shirts..anything should be ok. Seriously dont try to look like you are going to the mall with your buddies or to the bars...

You think most of our class that's coming straight from college will were anything different than the other students at LMU:rolleyes::cool:

Shorts and teva's until the snow comes... unless classroom is set to 65:eek::scared:
No one's going to comment an LMU t-shirt etc.....

Students are coming from gym in morning and afternoon etc....

Wow, lots of stuff here!!! LOL!

Welcome everyone new!!!! :hello:

Dr. Kicia, you are very welcome. Lots of love and luck!!!!:love::D

As for the t-shirts, I talked to Dr. Leo a while ago and he said no t-shirts and no open toed shoes. Jeans are fine. Maybe that changed, but that was the last thing I heard.

Newspapers:

www.middlesborodailynews.com
www.knoxnews.com
www.citizentribune.com

Classifieds:
www.middlesboroky.com
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/

Places to work: My husband works in Knoxville. It is about an hour drive for him. You can live around Lafollette and that is about 45 minutes to Knoxville. There are places to work in Lafollette, Jacksboro, and Middlesboro. It just depends what type of work you are looking for.

Did I get everything? LOL!!!! LOVE YOU GUYS AND SEE YOU SOON!!!! :biglove:

Well I officially had my last day of work today... We were super busy and I got my butt run off 10 calls in 9 hours.. And of course the last call was a 70 year old guy having a chest pain, put em on the monitor, got the IV, and I go to give him some aspirin and nitro and of course you feel stupid cause the guys so old but you ask anyways if hes taken any viagra in the last 24 hours I find out that he had actually taken some viagra that a friend had given him the night before...Good thing I asked cause that would have been one bad last call if I hadnt... blood pressure would have dropped through the floor from the combo of nitro and viagra and the pt probably would have died. Thats the first time that thats actually happened. You hear the stories but what are the odds lol..... so we gave him some morphine instead... Well I am so glad Im done with work... Does anybody else have some last day of work stories lol......

Have fun working the track. What exactly are you doing?

One of the ER docs I worked with in Ft. Worth coordinated medical care for some of the races across the country. He hooked up our docs to be the track doctors in the pit at some of the big races around the country. I think that would be really cool - a perk of the job! Hopefully they would never need the services...

My wife and I work in the infield Media Center at the track. She also is part of the golf cart shuttle crew to bring media back and forth to the media center and I take some pictures for the track. Most of the pics I take are for the website b/c they have professional photographers for the other stuff. You can see some of my stuff on the website. There is some other stuff we do too, but this about covers the main stuff. We do get to meet some of the drivers when we help with press conferences, so that is pretty cool.

Kicia - you're welcome. It was a pleasure reading your stuff and helping you out. I hope things work out for you and that you are able to get into school nex year. Let us know how everything is going!!!

I forgot one topic, cell service. :D We have Verizon. There is no service in Middlesboro, but you do have it elsewhere in KY. I had it in Corbin, and I am not sure when I got it again once I left Middlesboro. My phone doesn't work at my house, but my husband just got a different phone, and his works fine. So, if you have a really good phone, Verizon is great unless you are in Middlesboro.

I forgot one topic, cell service. :D We have Verizon. There is no service in Middlesboro, but you do have it elsewhere in KY. I had it in Corbin, and I am not sure when I got it again once I left Middlesboro. My phone doesn't work at my house, but my husband just got a different phone, and his works fine. So, if you have a really good phone, Verizon is great unless you are in Middlesboro.

I have a good phone (Motorola Razr) and it isn't too good along 63. It really seems hit or miss in regards to which phones work and which don't. Our realtor has AT&T and it worked great everywhere, so we will be switching. For anyone who is switching, you should be able to get out of the contract without paying money if you show where you live, there isn't adequate wireless service.