LMU-DCOM Class of 2011 continued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Booo....t-shirts and flip flops is all I have and all I really ever wear! That makes me sad. Ah well, time to go shopping. =)

Has anyone seen the new documentary by Michael Moore called SiCKO? Is our healthcare system really that messed up??? All I know is that I never want to be the kind of doctor that has to turn down healthcare to someone because of their insurance or lack thereof. There's this one scene where a doctor was putting herself on trial because she felt so guilty about refusing healthcare to someone because of their insurance, and the person ended up dying. I cried.

This healthcare thing is going to be a huge issue for us within these upcoming years. It sucks that medicine now is soo much more than just trying to make people healthy.

ehh...sorry. I had to vent. That movie really made an impact on me.

Anyways, congrats to everyone who just got in and I look forward to seeing all of you soon!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a good phone (Motorola Razr) and it isn't too good along 63. It really seems hit or miss in regards to which phones work and which don't. Our realtor has AT&T and it worked great everywhere, so we will be switching. For anyone who is switching, you should be able to get out of the contract without paying money if you show where you live, there isn't adequate wireless service.

I have a Razr too and it isn't that good. I forget the type of phone that my husband has, but it is some expensive, waterproof model that the military uses or something. I think it is about $400, but he got it for a lot less because he threatened to cancel our contract since we don't get service at our house. LOL! So, they practically gave it to him and it works just about everywhere. I will ask him what kind it is and let y'all know. I know a lot of people have AT & T and that seems to work well too. You can definitely get out of your contract if you get here and your cell doesn't work or you can make them give you a kick-a$$ phone. :lol: :p

I just wanted to say what a great class we're going to have! We've already closed out one thread and by the looks of it we'll close out another before class starts. More posts than other classes I'm sure! The information put out there in all of our posts have been invaluable to me and I'm sure to it has been to lot of other people as well.

Anyway I just wanted to let you all know how great this class is going to be and I can't wait to get out there. I'll be heading out next week sometime (depends on if I can secure a house before I go) Regardless I'll see you all in a week!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Booo....t-shirts and flip flops is all I have and all I really ever wear! That makes me sad. Ah well, time to go shopping. =)

Has anyone seen the new documentary by Michael Moore called SiCKO? Is our healthcare system really that messed up??? All I know is that I never want to be the kind of doctor that has to turn down healthcare to someone because of their insurance or lack thereof. There's this one scene where a doctor was putting herself on trial because she felt so guilty about refusing healthcare to someone because of their insurance, and the person ended up dying. I cried.

This healthcare thing is going to be a huge issue for us within these upcoming years. It sucks that medicine now is soo much more than just trying to make people healthy.

ehh...sorry. I had to vent. That movie really made an impact on me.

Anyways, congrats to everyone who just got in and I look forward to seeing all of you soon!!!

WOW!!! No, I didn't see it, but will definitely have to watch it. I have seen first hand the type of "treatment" that people with no insurance or medicaid get. It is absolutely appalling!!!! I refuse to be that type of doctor and will see anyone no matter what their insurance is. If that means that I run my office out of my house and schedule my appointments in a notebook, then that is fine. Everyone has the right to decent healthcare and I can't stand the way the system is now.

My husband freaks out when I start talking like that because he thinks that I won't make any money. And, I guess I will never be rich, but that isn't what I want. I have everything I ever wanted right now and if I have enough to live comfortably and pay my bills, then I am happy. :D

Hello ya all guys!

I have a question outside of cell phone service:laugh:

i want to write a letter of intent to DCOM...i know i am crazy but i do not want to wait till march to do so...DCOM is where i want to land next year so i want to let them know of that:love:.
my question is who do i write it to? Dr. Leo? Admissions in general?:D

Hello ya all guys!

i want to write a letter of intent to DCOM...i know i am crazy but i do not want to wait till march to do so...DCOM is where i want to land next year so i want to let them know of that:love:.

All the LOI's I wrote this year I addresses to the admissions committee (ie, Dear DCOM Admissions Committee). I did some internet research for content and such and couldn't find much. You could always call and just ask, I found most schools to be pretty open and non judgmental especially when you are just trying to do the right thing.

Hello ya all guys!

I would address it to the DCOM admissions committee. Make sure that you really want to do that though, because you should withdraw from the other schools if you get an acceptance at DCOM. (Not that DCOM isn't fabulous, but you may want to look at some other schools first. Well, that is what everyone told me and I looked at a few others after DCOM and that was a huge waste of money. :rolleyes: LOL!) Anyway, a letter of intent basically states that you will absolutely attend the school if you get an acceptance. So, write that, explain your reasons for wanting to attend, and send it out to DCOM admissions. Good luck! :luck::)

I just wanted to say what a great class we're going to have! We've already closed out one thread and by the looks of it we'll close out another before class starts. More posts than other classes I'm sure! The information put out there in all of our posts have been invaluable to me and I'm sure to it has been to lot of other people as well.

Anyway I just wanted to let you all know how great this class is going to be and I can't wait to get out there. I'll be heading out next week sometime (depends on if I can secure a house before I go) Regardless I'll see you all in a week!!!!

It is going to be a great class! I think we have closed out something like 6 threads...maybe more.

When I was looking at the pictures of the kitchenette in the apts it looks like there is some type of burner but no oven. Is this right? I have a toaster oven that I can use to bake with but I was wondering about boiling stuff.
Thanks!

I would address it to the DCOM admissions committee. Make sure that you really want to do that though, because you should withdraw from the other schools if you get an acceptance at DCOM. (Not that DCOM isn't fabulous, but you may want to look at some other schools first. Well, that is what everyone told me and I looked at a few others after DCOM and that was a huge waste of money. :rolleyes: LOL!) Anyway, a letter of intent basically states that you will absolutely attend the school if you get an acceptance. So, write that, explain your reasons for wanting to attend, and send it out to DCOM admissions. Good luck! :luck::)
thank you all for responces :biglove:
well i thought about it a lot and i talked to my bf about it a lot and we both think the only other school would CCOM...but then i think i would prefare to go to DCOM.

When I was looking at the pictures of the kitchenette in the apts it looks like there is some type of burner but no oven. Is this right? I have a toaster oven that I can use to bake with but I was wondering about boiling stuff.
Thanks!

The microwave is a convection oven also. It bakes just like an oven, but faster. You can learn about convection ovens at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection_oven

They are pretty easy to use once you get adjusted to them -they are also much faster baking.

It is going to be a great class! I think we have closed out something like 6 threads...maybe more.

Amazing we are already better than the other schools and we haven't even started yet :cool:

I just found the profile thread and posted on that. It was great to read through and learn about my fellow classmates!

Amazing we are already better than the other schools and we haven't even started yet :cool:

I just found the profile thread and posted on that. It was great to read through and learn about my fellow classmates!

This is a nice way to communicate with future classmates...but it seems like there should be a better way. i hope in the future that students who commit to the school will have email addresses prior to the beginning of class and some further web-based applications that allow them to communicate with their entire class. I think that would really help the school move towards it's technologically advanced goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello ya all guys!

After I was waitlisted at CCOM and accepted to LECOM-E, I wrote an LOI to CCOM. This was before I even submitted my primary to DCOM :rolleyes:. I addressed it to the admissions committee and told them I would attend CCOM if accepted. I was getting impatient with CCOM (didn't understand the process at the time, silly me) and did not want to go to LECOM, so I decided to send my primary to DCOM. I went to my interview expecting nothing b/c I was so opposed to moving at the time, but I went just to see if I could have another option if accepted. I was absolutely blown away at my interview and just had to convince myself of moving, but that wasn't hard to do. I knew then that I wanted to go to DCOM.

Point of my rambling story - don't submit an LOI until you've gone to a few schools and see what they have to offer. You never which school is going to jump out at you and stop you in your tracks. I, obviously, backed out on my LOI to CCOM - I don't regret it but I felt strange doing it initially. I panicked at the time I wrote mine (very early in the process) b/c I really didn't want to go to LECOM, so I wrote one.

My advice, only write one after 1) going to a few interviews, and/or 2) you know as an absolute fact, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that you want to go to a certain school, should you write an LOI. Especially this early in the cycle, I would wait a little bit and see what comes your way first (not that I don't believe in DCOM :D).

After I was waitlisted at CCOM and accepted to LECOM-E, I wrote an LOI to CCOM. This was before I even submitted my primary to DCOM :rolleyes:. I addressed it to the admissions committee and told them I would attend CCOM if accepted. I was getting impatient with CCOM (didn't understand the process at the time, silly me) and did not want to go to LECOM, so I decided to send my primary to DCOM. I went to my interview expecting nothing b/c I was so opposed to moving at the time, but I went just to see if I could have another option if accepted. I was absolutely blown away at my interview and just had to convince myself of moving, but that wasn't hard to do. I knew then that I wanted to go to DCOM.

Point of my rambling story - don't submit an LOI until you've gone to a few schools and see what they have to offer. You never which school is going to jump out at you and stop you in your tracks. I, obviously, backed out on my LOI to CCOM - I don't regret it but I felt strange doing it initially. I panicked at the time I wrote mine (very early in the process) b/c I really didn't want to go to LECOM, so I wrote one.

My advice, only write one after 1) going to a few interviews, and/or 2) you know as an absolute fact, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that you want to go to a certain school, should you write an LOI. Especially this early in the cycle, I would wait a little bit and see what comes your way first (not that I don't believe in DCOM :D).

thank you nascar for your advice...i guess i am just getting so impatient with this whole waiting thing...and i really like DCOM...i have researched it so much over last months :D
but i will take your advice and wait, especially that it is only july!

thank you nascar for your advice...i guess i am just getting so impatient with this whole waiting thing...and i really like DCOM...i have researched it so much over last months :D
but i will take your advice and wait, especially that it is only july!

I think that is some good advice from Nascar. You never know what school you will like until you visit it. I thought I would love PCSOM, but was not at all impressed after my interview and I thought I would hate NYCOM, but actit actually surprised me, (still a crappy location for me though. LOL!) I knew from the day of my interview at DCOM that this is where I wanted to be. I still looked at a few other schools (and wasted money doing that), but it made me even more certain of my decision. If you never compare the schools, then maybe a part of you will always wonder if you made the right decision. I think waiting is probably better. I am sure you will love DCOM though. :biglove:

Also, if you have the opportunity to attend any open houses, you might want to do that as well. I think you will get a good feel for the schools that way too. As always, lots of luck!!!!:luck::luck::luck:

This is a nice way to communicate with future classmates...but it seems like there should be a better way. i hope in the future that students who commit to the school will have email addresses prior to the beginning of class and some further web-based applications that allow them to communicate with their entire class. I think that would really help the school move towards it's technologically advanced goal.

It would be great for sure. Too bad they can't give us our school e-mail addresses when we submit our deposit and create a forum for us to communicate on their web site.

I think that is some good advice from Nascar. You never know what school you will like until you visit it. I thought I would love PCSOM, but was not at all impressed after my interview and I thought I would hate NYCOM, but actit actually surprised me, (still a crappy location for me though. LOL!) I knew from the day of my interview at DCOM that this is where I wanted to be. I still looked at a few other schools (and wasted money doing that), but it made me even more certain of my decision. If you never compare the schools, then maybe a part of you will always wonder if you made the right decision. I think waiting is probably better. I am sure you will love DCOM though. :biglove:

Also, if you have the opportunity to attend any open houses, you might want to do that as well. I think you will get a good feel for the schools that way too. As always, lots of luck!!!!:luck::luck::luck:

thank you doctormom...i was acctually planning on few campus visits but i will see how much finances will allow me for that:D

Well, we're officially TN residents now, or at least we have a roof over our heads in TN. Lots of unpacking to do!

Went up to the school yesterday...and finally got to go to the overlook...what an AWESOME view from up there.

Since everyone else is posting about it...we have:

DirecTv (awesome and getting better)
Cingular (so far, so good, might look for newer phones)
AT&T/Bellsouth DSL -good thus far

I picked up my shorts and one of my t-shirts yesterday. I had hoped for mesh shorts for the price we paid, but that's not what we got. Would have preferred white t-shirts. For some reason I have an aversion to gray. :)

Welcome to all the new faces! Only a couple more weeks!

Actually I just found it on the school's website that there's a stove.

any chance you can take a pic of the uniform for OPP and post it? thanks!

Any idea how many alternates are left?? Just curious if there is any chance they will run out.

Yeah...hooo.

Lived in Joshua Tree every weekend during college.:cool::cool::cool:
Don't know if you'll find much climbing in TN...
Anyway, I haven't climbed in ....uh well since I started having kids.:laugh:

Best lead was a 5.10b.
Comfy at 5.9 now.

We'll have to find a way to climb the outlook over the gap !!:D

Hope there will be time to fit in a few climbing sessions this year. There are some great crags in Tenn (not so much near Harrogate).

I only have Sport gear. Got any trad stuff?

-Myles

Any idea how many alternates are left?? Just curious if there is any chance they will run out.

I doubt they are going to run out! :laugh: I think they had ~150 on the waitlist and were taking ~1 off a week. I know several on the waitlist that I have my fingers and toes crossed for ;).

Does anyone have a clue about the size of the tablet? I wanna get a laptop bookpack...

Does anyone have a clue about the size of the tablet? I wanna get a laptop backpack...

The computer has a 14" screen. If we get the 12 cell battery than you will have to allow a little extra room for that. I have this computer and have had to buy bags that will hold a 15" laptop.

The computer has a 14" screen. If we get the 12 cell battery than you will have to allow a little extra room for that. I have this computer and have had to buy bags that will hold a 15" laptop.

Thank you, i found one that can hold up to 17 inches.

I think we're getting bags with the computers...but I wonder what type of bag?

yeaaa i wonder that too, well i will be getting a bookpack so i can't go wrong with it.

You guys really need to stop worrying about the dress code. No one is gonna care!!! We'll be too busy studying to care about what were wearing!!!

WOW!!! No, I didn't see it, but will definitely have to watch it. I have seen first hand the type of "treatment" that people with no insurance or medicaid get. It is absolutely appalling!!!! I refuse to be that type of doctor and will see anyone no matter what their insurance is. If that means that I run my office out of my house and schedule my appointments in a notebook, then that is fine. Everyone has the right to decent healthcare and I can't stand the way the system is now.

My husband freaks out when I start talking like that because he thinks that I won't make any money. And, I guess I will never be rich, but that isn't what I want. I have everything I ever wanted right now and if I have enough to live comfortably and pay my bills, then I am happy. :D

Here here! :)

You guys really need to stop worrying about the dress code. No one is gonna care!!! We'll be too busy studying to care about what were wearing!!!

Yeah, but it would be nice to wake up in the morning right before class and just throw on a t-shirt and flipflops. But i guess this isn't college anymore.

While I would too rather wear t shirt and flip flops...big deal. no med school that I know of allows flip flops for a variety of reasons. I knew going into this that i'd be wearing biz casual and i'll be wearing it. I dont care for it all the time, but after class I can always change while I go study.

lambo - you should probably wait on the backpack until you see what they got us. I think it is a laptop carrying backpack (at least ask dr. leo before spending money on something you may already be getting free).

Does anyone know if we have to do all 300/month for board or if we can cut that down to say...7 meals/week for less money? I'd rather prepare my breakfasts and dinners to save money and eat a little better. I may call pat peace up about that one

Does anyone know if we have to do all 300/month for board or if we can cut that down to say...7 meals/week for less money? I'd rather prepare my breakfasts and dinners to save money and eat a little better. I may call pat peace up about that one

Let me know what you hear.

Yeah, but it would be nice to wake up in the morning right before class and just throw on a t-shirt and flipflops. But i guess this isn't college anymore.

Yeah you're right! Its not college anymore! Undergrad was a fashion show compare to medical school! Trust me, flip-flops (sneakers), t-shirts and CAPS are a must!!! I worked at medical schools and have flriends in both DO and MD schools and its all the same crap, they tell you theres a dress code but its never followed!

Let me know what you hear.

We haven't heard from you in a while, welcome back!

Oh, and can you believe it is only two weeks until classes start? :eek:

I'm nervous, but I am actually partying...we've worked so hard for this :hardy::banana::clap::banana::hardy:

While I would too rather wear t shirt and flip flops...big deal. no med school that I know of allows flip flops for a variety of reasons. I knew going into this that i'd be wearing biz casual and i'll be wearing it. I dont care for it all the time, but after class I can always change while I go study.

lambo - you should probably wait on the backpack until you see what they got us. I think it is a laptop carrying backpack (at least ask dr. leo before spending money on something you may already be getting free).

Has anyone heard anything about the meal plans? I'm sure they will tell us in a few weeks, but I was just wondering.

If anyone didn't get today's email, the apartments will open on July 27th.

Has anyone heard anything about the meal plans? I'm sure they will tell us in a few weeks, but I was just wondering.

If anyone didn't get today's email, the apartments will open on July 27th.

Hey! I joined SOMA months ago and didn't get Netter’s Anatomy Atlas. Actually, I didn't get ANYTHING from them.:mad:They just cashed my check and that was it. LOL! I guess I better email them or something. :D

I didn't even know they offered us meal plans. I thought we had to fend for ourselves. Is there a website that has more info or does anyone have an email then can forward me?

Side note:

Can anyone list a few local banks?

I use a bank in my town that isn't national.

Thanks!!!

Well tomorrow I begin my long drive to TN. I look forward to finally meeting you all :D I am hoping to get into town late Thursday nite and begin my house search Friday morning.

See you all soon :clap::clap:

Has anyone heard anything about the meal plans?

Meal plans??? I hope they don't force us to do the meal plan thing! Cuz that would be such a huge waste of money!!!! So ok, what is it that we have to buy/pay for DCOM?

1. Tuition $13,000
2. Books $1,000 (estimate)
3. Health Insurance $130X12= $1560
4. Rent $550 DCOM APTS
5. Medical kit $???
6. Meal plan $???

So, about $20,000 this semester?!?! Wow!!! Can anyone else think of other mandatory expenses!?

Meal plans??? I hope they don't force us to do the meal plan thing! Cuz that would be such a huge waste of money!!!! So ok, what is it that we have to buy/pay for DCOM?

1. Tuition $13,000
4. Rent $550 DCOM APTS
5. Medical kit $???
6. Meal plan $???

So, about $20,000 this semester?!?! Wow!!! Can anyone else think of other mandatory expenses!?

I wish this were true my friend...try $30k.

I wish this were true my friend...try $30k.

I am assuming he implies for the semester and also he is deducting the 2000 deposit we all paid. However, the cost of education is so relative personally i will eat out less...in addition iam gonna play it safe and buy the books down the road. I wanna be smart about spending crazy amount of money on books and medical equipment.

OK, for anyone who cares about SOMA, I emailed them and this is what they said: DCOM will get their Netters at their orientation. I will check that you are on the list for that. Do not pay again, just tell them you paid directly.

So, if anyone has already joined SOMA, (like me), and is wondering where your Netters is, there is your answer.:D:thumbup:

Banks: There are a few. The only one I can think of off of the top of my head is Commercial. There is one directly across from LMU that has a big sign saying that they have checking just for LMU students. :)

I am assuming he implies for the semester and also he is deducting the 2000 deposit we all paid. However, the cost of education is so relative personally i will eat out less...in addition iam gonna play it safe and buy the books down the road. I wanna be smart about spending crazy amount of money on books and medical equipment.

Yeah, I was advised NOT to buy the books til I start school and see if we actually needed them. Most of the books are mostly for reference and the test comes from lecture notes and internet notes! So im holding off to buy books too!!!

1. Tuition $13,000
4. Rent $550 DCOM APTS
5. Medical kit $???
6. Meal plan $???

I think you are required to buy dental insurance too. The price was around $20 a month.

I read something in the student handbook about life insurance and disability. So add that to the list too.

if you still have your interview packet - there is a pretty detailed budget there. Pat peace can give you another copy. board was estimated at 300/month on there, so im going with that number (x 10 months = 3000). I am not particularly interested in dropping that kind of money on food. I can eat breakfast and dinner at my apartment and eat at the cafeteria for lunch. its decent, nothing great. im still waiting on my answer concerning food, so i'll let you guys know when I hear

heres the word from pat peace - not much but something

Signing up for a meal plan is not a requirement for students living in
the LMU apartments; however, you do have that option. My understanding
is that they are working on a modified meal plan but it probably will
not be ready by August 1. In the mean time, if you decide to eat in the
cafeteria, you can pay on a meal to meal basis. I wish I could give you
a more definitive answer.

hope that helps